Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay

Posted by Waltermixx 
Re: Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay
April 15, 2015 12:45PM
flippydip
Hi All,

Thank you for the great information on here, it has helped a lot.

I've finished assembling but i have a problem, None of the motors work properly, the Z axis motors turn the threaded rod but it doesn't move anything up or down, it stays stationary. Then the X and Y motors only move it one way and can't move the other. After a few tries you can hear a high pitch sound.

Any idea?

Are my belts too tight?

Thank you in advance

Also sorry if this has been answered before.

For your z axis the first thing I'd look at is whether the nuts on your threaded rod are bedded in the appropriate pockets on the underside of the z axis carriage pieces. If they aren't then the threaded rod will just spin and the nuts will turn with them but without pushing against the z carriage.

For your x and y motors, are you homing all axes before you try moving them manually? This was something I discovered just a couple of days ago...your motors won't move, or will move only a small amount, before you home them using the "home" buttons in Repetier or Pronterface or whichever software you're using.

EDIT: Actually I guess it's not the z axis carriage you need to look at but the x axis motor mount and the x axis idler which slide up and down on the z axis threaded and smooth rod. Hope that's clear now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 01:00PM by Vanbot.
April 15, 2015 02:58PM
Hello guys, thanks for all the info here and your responses. All are really appreciated.
I'm having issues with what I think is the Y movement. As you can see in the image attached, there are some big gaps between the fill and the edges (mostly over X axis, so I think is the Y that is not moving properly). The thing is that the steps/mm are calibrated and giving me accurate dimensions when I print. I checked for tensions with the wires or belts, but everything seems to be right. so I don't know which parameter in slicer can I touch...
Thanks everyone!
Attachments:
open | download - 2015-04-15 13.24.27.png (518.8 KB)
April 15, 2015 03:28PM
Looks like more of an extruding issue. How thick do you have your first layer? If lower than .35 try .35. Have you calibrated your extruder? I know I had to change mine from the folger recommended 90 to 97.

pabloevaristo
Hello guys, thanks for all the info here and your responses. All are really appreciated.
I'm having issues with what I think is the Y movement. As you can see in the image attached, there are some big gaps between the fill and the edges (mostly over X axis, so I think is the Y that is not moving properly). The thing is that the steps/mm are calibrated and giving me accurate dimensions when I print. I checked for tensions with the wires or belts, but everything seems to be right. so I don't know which parameter in slicer can I touch...
Thanks everyone!
Printing Questions - Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay
April 15, 2015 04:13PM
****FIXED Ok awesome that worked! So we followed the previous instructions on going into repetierhost and changing the printer settings for the bed left and front to 0. You guys rock thanks so much. I am just going to fine tune the z axis since it seems the home for it needs to be closer to the bed and hopefully I will get my first print! Again thank you guys.

**** Update Just saw the info posted about bed left and bed front being set to 0. I must have missed that when looking through everything earlier. I am trying that now and will edit this post accordingly! Wish me luck

Hi all! Thank you so much for this thread and all the great info. So this is my first post and my first printer build. I have everything assembled and moving, I have homed it to the back right corner like in the folger instructions, but every time I attempt to print something the extruder/bed moves to the front left corner and starts printing at the extreme edge of the glass and I need to emergency stop. Here is a video of what is happening. Skip to about 43 seconds in to see what happens when I try to print with repetier.
I am very new to 3D printing and would appreciate any help or advice, Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF1oh4hA_Cs

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 04:52PM by sarahganly.
April 15, 2015 04:45PM
krwynn
Looks like more of an extruding issue. How thick do you have your first layer? If lower than .35 try .35. Have you calibrated your extruder? I know I had to change mine from the folger recommended 90 to 97.

pabloevaristo
Thanks everyone!
Thanks for the answer; But if it was the extruder it would happen everywhere, not only in that particular place (or orientation...).
My first layer is set to 0.25mm, but don't know either why is that related.
I calibrated the extruder so when I extrude 100mm it makes it right.
Don't know which parameter is that 90 you're talking about.
April 15, 2015 05:36PM
Waltermixx
I noticed your y endstop is at the front of your Prusa i3. Is your zero (home) front left corner instead of Rear right?
(does it matter?) smiling smiley I suspect one flips the wiring on the stepper and the position of the end stop to deturmine that...
smiling smiley
i need a time machine

smiling smiley

it does make a difference

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 05:38PM by chris33.

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
Re: Printing Questions - Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay
April 15, 2015 07:02PM
sarahganly
****FIXED Ok awesome that worked! So we followed the previous instructions on going into repetierhost and changing the printer settings for the bed left and front to 0. You guys rock thanks so much. I am just going to fine tune the z axis since it seems the home for it needs to be closer to the bed and hopefully I will get my first print! Again thank you guys.

**** Update Just saw the info posted about bed left and bed front being set to 0. I must have missed that when looking through everything earlier. I am trying that now and will edit this post accordingly! Wish me luck

Hi all! Thank you so much for this thread and all the great info. So this is my first post and my first printer build. I have everything assembled and moving, I have homed it to the back right corner like in the folger instructions, but every time I attempt to print something the extruder/bed moves to the front left corner and starts printing at the extreme edge of the glass and I need to emergency stop. Here is a video of what is happening. Skip to about 43 seconds in to see what happens when I try to print with repetier.
I am very new to 3D printing and would appreciate any help or advice, Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF1oh4hA_Cs

I think I'm having the same problem with mine. Can you explain what you did to fix this or maybe link to the solution you found?
April 15, 2015 08:01PM
I had a similar problem and this post helped me figure things out: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?4,405576,459583#msg-459583

Also in your host software, be sure to set whether your home positions for each axis are at maximums or minimums. Having those wrong in conjunction with an incorrect endstop configuration were causing me a bunch of grief with real unpredictable printing behavior.

Good Luck!
April 15, 2015 10:36PM
roto
I had a similar problem and this post helped me figure things out: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?4,405576,459583#msg-459583

Also in your host software, be sure to set whether your home positions for each axis are at maximums or minimums. Having those wrong in conjunction with an incorrect endstop configuration were causing me a bunch of grief with real unpredictable printing behavior.

Good Luck!

Thanks Roto. The section on plugging in the end stops was helpful. Once again the Folger manual was just dead wrong. I have wasted hours thanks to the fact that they can't be bothered making sure they are providing correct info. Does anyone from Folger contribute to the forum?

Here's what their manual says is the right way to plug in the endstops:
...... Z Max
___ Z Min
...... Y Max
___ Y Min
...... X Max
___ X Min

Here is what actually works with the way they tell you to position your end stops:

...... Z Max
___ Z Min
...... Y Max
___ Y Min
___ X Max
...... X Min

Anyway, as I was saying the end stops seem to be plugged in correctly now and the x axis is no longer running in reverse and when I hit the Home button all the axes home correctly.

It still goes nuts when I try to print but at least it's progress!
April 16, 2015 02:46AM
Vanbot
flippydip
Hi All,

Thank you for the great information on here, it has helped a lot.

I've finished assembling but i have a problem, None of the motors work properly, the Z axis motors turn the threaded rod but it doesn't move anything up or down, it stays stationary. Then the X and Y motors only move it one way and can't move the other. After a few tries you can hear a high pitch sound.

Any idea?

Are my belts too tight?

Thank you in advance

Also sorry if this has been answered before.

For your z axis the first thing I'd look at is whether the nuts on your threaded rod are bedded in the appropriate pockets on the underside of the z axis carriage pieces. If they aren't then the threaded rod will just spin and the nuts will turn with them but without pushing against the z carriage.

For your x and y motors, are you homing all axes before you try moving them manually? This was something I discovered just a couple of days ago...your motors won't move, or will move only a small amount, before you home them using the "home" buttons in Repetier or Pronterface or whichever software you're using.

EDIT: Actually I guess it's not the z axis carriage you need to look at but the x axis motor mount and the x axis idler which slide up and down on the z axis threaded and smooth rod. Hope that's clear now.

so i tried homing it but the Z axis keeps acting up. It doesn't trigger the endstop sometimes. The X axis also doesn't trigger sometimes or it starts high pitch sound. The Y axis works perfectly. I've been at it for over 6 hours chatting with people on the IRC channel and we end up going in circles. We fix X and Z then one of them acts up again. I had to change the stepper driver for Z axis, it fixed it for a bit then the problem happened again. I also changed to repetier from marlin. Pretty much out of ideas on what to explain or do.
April 16, 2015 12:04PM
flippydip
so i tried homing it but the Z axis keeps acting up. It doesn't trigger the endstop sometimes. The X axis also doesn't trigger sometimes or it starts high pitch sound. The Y axis works perfectly. I've been at it for over 6 hours chatting with people on the IRC channel and we end up going in circles. We fix X and Z then one of them acts up again. I had to change the stepper driver for Z axis, it fixed it for a bit then the problem happened again. I also changed to repetier from marlin. Pretty much out of ideas on what to explain or do.

It seems like we have been having very similar problems with our builds. Have you looked at the above diagram showing the way to plug the end stops in? As I mentioned the Folger instructions have that wrong. If you have your end stops positioned the way their instructions say to do, with Z and X axis stops in the back right corner and the Y axis stop at the front right, then you should plug your end stops in the way I show in that diagram. Or at least that fixed a bunch of problems for me and now all my axes behave properly, move in a positive direction when I hit the positive manual move button etc.

As far as the X axis overrunning the stop that happens sometimes to my Y axis too and I have no idea why. It seems to fix itself eventually after everything has been homed.

I get the high pitched sound too, sort of a whine, after my axes hit the end stops. Again I don't know why it does this but when it happens the motor seems to be stopped which is what you want to happen when the end stop is tripped. Maybe someone else can chime in and explain if that high pitched whine is normal?

I assume you've double checked the voltages that your stepper drivers have been set to?
April 16, 2015 03:33PM
@Vanbot: Can you explain what you mean when you say it goes nuts when you try to print? What movements are made?
April 16, 2015 03:40PM
Vanbot
roto

Good Luck!

Thanks Roto. The section on plugging in the end stops was helpful. Once again the Folger manual was just dead wrong. I have wasted hours thanks to the fact that they can't be bothered making sure they are providing correct info. Does anyone from Folger contribute to the forum?

Here's what their manual says is the right way to plug in the endstops:
...... Z Max
___ Z Min
...... Y Max
___ Y Min
...... X Max
___ X Min

Here is what actually works with the way they tell you to position your end stops:

...... Z Max
___ Z Min
...... Y Max
___ Y Min
___ X Max
...... X Min

Anyway, as I was saying the end stops seem to be plugged in correctly now and the x axis is no longer running in reverse and when I hit the Home button all the axes home correctly.

It still goes nuts when I try to print but at least it's progress!

We wrote the manual for this printer, the end stop wiring is correct when used with the FT supplied firmware. Just keep in mind, it takes over 100 hours of painstaking work to put an assembly manual like that together. It was double and triple checked by multiple people before it was released.

However, we cannot control circumstances of any changes to the firmware by others. At thie time the manual was created, this firmware was the only firmware we knew of and configured the printer accordingly.

I have personally built 15 of these printers and have helped people get them running with all stock firmware and setups. The assembly manual is 100% correct when followed properly. There was an error in the configuration manual, we corrected it but it was never re-uploaded on the FT drive. (this is the bed front left position in printer set up in repetier, it should be 0, 0 instead of 200, 200)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2015 03:45PM by MakerFront.

Making it better for Makers!
[makerfront.com]
April 16, 2015 03:51PM
DriftyDave
@Vanbot: Can you explain what you mean when you say it goes nuts when you try to print? What movements are made?

The printer head moves forward right off the end of the bed. Or rather the bed moves backwards until the extruder is no longer over the bed. Then it makes a blob of plastic.

Before I changed the way the end stops were plugged into the RAMPS it would also move to the left as it shot over the front of the bed.
April 16, 2015 03:52PM
Vanbot
DriftyDave

The printer head moves forward right off the end of the bed. Or rather the bed moves backwards until the extruder is no longer over the bed. Then it makes a blob of plastic.

Before I changed the way the end stops were plugged into the RAMPS it would also move to the left as it shot over the front of the bed.

If you're using Repetier, change the bed front from 200, 200 to 0, 0 as I mentioned. That will solve the issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2015 03:53PM by MakerFront.

[makerfront.com]
April 16, 2015 04:40PM
MakerFront

We wrote the manual for this printer, the end stop wiring is correct when used with the FT supplied firmware. Just keep in mind, it takes over 100 hours of painstaking work to put an assembly manual like that together. It was double and triple checked by multiple people before it was released.

However, we cannot control circumstances of any changes to the firmware by others. At thie time the manual was created, this firmware was the only firmware we knew of and configured the printer accordingly.

I have personally built 15 of these printers and have helped people get them running with all stock firmware and setups. The assembly manual is 100% correct when followed properly. There was an error in the configuration manual, we corrected it but it was never re-uploaded on the FT drive. (this is the bed front left position in printer set up in repetier, it should be 0, 0 instead of 200, 200)

Thanks for replying. I don't doubt that a lot of work goes into writing a manual like that. All I can tell you is that I have built the printer exactly per your instructions and am using the firmware linked to from your Google Docs page and it doesn't work the way it should. When is the last time you built one of your current kits using your instructions? Is it possible some things have changed without you knowing it?

One example...your manual says to attach the X axis motor using 18 mm screws but those bottomed out when I tried using them and I had to use 16 mm.

Another example...in Steps 29 and 33 you say you include springs in the kit to help tension the belt but never explain how to use the springs to do that. Are there supposed to be plastic parts in the kit with which to build a tensioner? If I have to build it myself is there a particular design of tensioner that uses the type of springs your kit includes?

Another e.g. the endstops: The X and Z end stops are located at the back-right corner and the Y end stop is at the front-right corner as your manual instructs. I plugged the end stops to the board exactly according to your manual describes to like this:
...... Z Max
___ Z Min
...... Y Max
___ Y Min
...... X Max
___ X Min

That didn't work. When I commanded positive moves to the X axis it moved in the negative direction, i.e. left. I had to do a lot of research and talking to people just to find out the end stops should be plugged in like this, with the X plugged into the Max slot instead of the Min slot:
...... Z Max
___ Z Min
...... Y Max
___ Y Min
___ X Max
...... X Min

When I made that change suddenly my X axis responded to manual directional controls the way it is supposed to. Using the setting in your manual it didn't. In fact since your manual says to put the X end stop at the right (maximum positive) side of the printer how could it ever be correct that the X end stop should be plugged into the Min slot?

Also, I hate to tell you this but your Repetier setup manual still says that the Bed Front Left position should be 200,200. When was it corrected? I'm looking at it right now and it definitely doesn't say to set it to 0,0. So you're now telling me that I need to change that setting in Repetier so that the Bed Left/Front values are 0,0?

What about the X Max and Y Max? Are the 200,200 values correct?

Are Print Area Width, Depth and Height correct as 200,200,285?

I have a fair bit of experience playing around with mechanical things but I freely admit that I'm a complete rookie when it comes to electronics and robotics. That's why having an accurate manual is so important to someone like me. I get that these are kits and that learning how to put them together is a learning process in itself, but if I get led down the garden path by bad info I have no way of knowing that the information isn't accurate. That means I end up spending a lot of time spinning my wheels (haha) just to get my motors turning the right way. I'm lucky that there are some really nice guys at my hackspace who have built a few i3's and are very generous with their help or I'd be pretty frustrated.
April 16, 2015 04:46PM
MakerFront
Vanbot
DriftyDave

If you're using Repetier, change the bed front from 200, 200 to 0, 0 as I mentioned. That will solve the issue.

Just tried this and Repetier shows my object floating up at the top of the print area.

Can you please provide the full set of Printer Shape settings here so that there's no chance there are other bad values in there?

Have you looked at the settings that your Configuration Manual says to use?

EDIT: Actually when I change the Bed front and left to 0,0 it doesn't float at the top of the print area but way off past one side of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2015 04:53PM by Vanbot.
April 16, 2015 05:17PM
All I'm saying is that this is the way the printer was when the manual was created, we were contracted to create a manual, we did and apparently some things have changed. We have corrected some of the mistakes (config manual was a wrong screen shot on my part) but I have no control on how the manuals are handled when I give them to the customer (FT).

I apologize about the tensioning springs, but they are pretty self explanatory.

For those wondering, the springs are attached to the belt opposite the connection to the X carriage and Y carriage when the bed and X carriage are centered. They are attached as shown in the included picture.

I will correct the manual and send another version to FT but I cannot control whether or not it is published online.

Here is the updated config manual:
[drive.google.com]

I hope this helps!

[makerfront.com]
Attachments:
open | download - 0.jpg (61.4 KB)
April 16, 2015 05:50PM
MakerFront
All I'm saying is that this is the way the printer was when the manual was created, we were contracted to create a manual, we did and apparently some things have changed. We have corrected some of the mistakes (config manual was a wrong screen shot on my part) but I have no control on how the manuals are handled when I give them to the customer (FT).

I apologize about the tensioning springs, but they are pretty self explanatory.

For those wondering, the springs are attached to the belt opposite the connection to the X carriage and Y carriage when the bed and X carriage are centered. They are attached as shown in the included picture.

I will correct the manual and send another version to FT but I cannot control whether or not it is published online.

Here is the updated config manual:
[drive.google.com]

I hope this helps!

I understand completely that you have no control over how your updates are handled by FT and I appreciate you trying to clear some of this up.

Can you comment on the X end stop issue? Since the end stop itself is set up at the Max position shouldn't the plug be in the second slot from the bottom on RAMPS since that is the Max position?

I have changed the Bed Left and Front values to 0,0 as you suggested and now the print begins on the bed so that's a big improvement.
April 16, 2015 10:00PM
Just to add another bit of info to the discussion.

I built the printer and it moved as it should pretty well from the start. When I home my Folger I3 the bed travels completely to the back, where the Y motor is, and the X carriage moves to the X motor side. The X microswitch is next to the X motor and the Y microswitch is at the back opposite the X motor. I made no changes to configuration.h that Folger has on the site. I made a dry run and it centered on the plate for the run.

My big problem at the moment is getting the Full Graphics display working in Marlin. It works with the examples.

I hope to do the bed levelling and Z height adjustments this weekend and try a print.

Additional info: I had to invert the connector for the Y motor so it would do the homing in the correct direction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 06:36AM by Ecky.
April 16, 2015 10:17PM
Ecky
Just to add another bit of info to the discussion.

I built the printer and it moved as it should pretty well from the start. When I home my Folger I3 the bed travels completely to the back, where the Y motor is, and the X carriage moves to the X motor side. The X microswitch is next to the X motor and the Y microswitch is at the back opposite the X motor. I made no changes to configuration.h that Folger has on the site. I made a dry run and it centered on the plate for the run.

My big problem at the moment is getting the Full Graphics display working in Marlin. It works with the examples.

I hope to do the bed levelling and Z height adjustments this weekend and try a print.

This adds some confusion...for me anyway. Lol

So in the FT build manual on their Google Docs page, it says the X and Z end stops should be at the back-right and the Y end stop should be at the front-right. You have your Y end stop at the back-right? So all three of your microswitches are in that one corner? Which manual did you use that shows that set up? If that set up works with the stock FT firmware then you have to wonder why they are telling people to put their Y end stop at the front of the bed. Step 31 in their manual clearly says it goes at the front of the printer.

I'm just starting to look at the LCD installation too. Do you know if it requires that we put a diode on the RAMPS? I've seen some sources that say you need one and others that show LCD installation without any mention of a diode.

Once again a little direction from FT would suuuurrre be appreciated.
April 16, 2015 10:46PM
Well - I got movement on my i3 kit. Folger sent me two bad Polulus and I noticed something when I was installing the heat sinks - they are oversized. That is bad and I think one guy shorted his out by accident... but a few spare Polulus are not a luxury everyone has. My kit had most of the problems Vanbot did - and I recieved mine last week. This is not a novice kit - and the directions have much to be desired and there is no troubleshooting guide... the frustration of the kit comes from the small things which inevitably are critical to the operation of the machine.

Keep working everyone.
April 16, 2015 10:56PM
Chris Rap
... Folger sent me two bad Polulus and I noticed something when I was installing the heat sinks - they are oversized. That is bad and I think one guy shorted his out by accident...

Do you know how his stick shorted out? Just looking at my Polulus and I can see that if you stuck the heat sinks on too close to the top edge they might touch the pot for controlling the vref. It seems possible that could cause a short.

I second the need for a troubleshooting guide. But I get the impression FT are busy shipping out a lot of units right now.

I first e-mailed Dan at Folger Tech about the problem with my RAMPS board last Friday and I emailed him and John again about it last night and I have yet to hear back from them. How has the customer service been for other people? I'd like to hear from them that they'll either replace the board they sent me now or that if I break any pins in the process of trying to wedge the Z motor plugs onto the board that they'll replace it at that point. But so far it's been crickets.
April 16, 2015 11:13PM
Vanbot
How has the customer service been for other people?

Dan has been golden as far as dealing with my few issues. A++ in my opinion.
April 16, 2015 11:17PM
Vantbot - I saw your board and I assumed you had it resolved. The tolerance is very close, but you should be able to install it. I had to push the pins together, but it wasn't a major concern. Are you certain you cannot insert the two? It should be a snug - tight even - fit, but I don't think the board is defective. The connectors are larger than they need to be and I have spares I used that are thinner on another Ramps. Though that's the easier of two more complex options I'd do before replacing it.
April 16, 2015 11:34PM
Chris Rap
Vantbot - I saw your board and I assumed you had it resolved. The tolerance is very close, but you should be able to install it. I had to push the pins together, but it wasn't a major concern. Are you certain you cannot insert the two? It should be a snug - tight even - fit, but I don't think the board is defective. The connectors are larger than they need to be and I have spares I used that are thinner on another Ramps. Though that's the easier of two more complex options I'd do before replacing it.

Thanks Chris. The advice is most welcome.

It's resolved in that I got my hands on another board so I could continue the build. I have tried a bunch of times and tried switching the leads around and I really don't think the plug can fit in there with the driver also in place. There is just no room. Who knows, maybe the connectors that came with my kit just happen to be bigger but the plug doesn't even fit without the driver in place. I can see if the hackspace has some lower profile connectors that I could solder onto the motor leads and I guess as a last resort I can try bending the pins over although I really don't like doing that since it can only increase the likelihood of it potentially breaking down the road.

Good to hear others have had positive experiences with FT support. Seems they're just extremely busy right now.
April 17, 2015 02:37AM
So i got my printer printing, just an issue with the extruder. It seems like it can't fully catch the filament, it misses it thus making a loud noise as if it is skipping. Because of this the filament doesn't come out smoothly.

Also the filament comes out quite thick.

Could someone please help!

Thank You

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 10:49AM by flippydip.
April 17, 2015 06:53AM
VANBOT:

I just remembered that I had to turn over the Y axis motor connector to get the bed to move toward the back on homing.

My Y endstop is at the Y motor end of the printer. Left or right doesn't matter. I am thinking of moving it to the other side next to the power supply so all three switches are in the same corner. The endstop position change instruction came from Dan at FT in response to an email I sent him asking about the endstop location.
Most of us attach the clip on the back threaded rod that sticks out a bit from the nut and have your end stop click against the heated bed. Dan

Customer service has been OK but I had small troublesome sales transaction going on at the same time so I had their attention. By OK I mean they didn't reply instantly but it was 1 or 2 days at worst.
April 17, 2015 10:50AM
flippydip
So i got my printer printing, just an issue with the extruder. It seems like it can't fully catch the filament, it misses it thus making a loud noise as if it is skipping. Because of this the filament doesn't come out smoothly.

Could someone please help!

Thank You

I took my extruder apart to see how the filament is supposed to feed into the drive wheels.First are you feeding it into the hole on the top that is directly over the hot end? On mine, looking at the top of the extruder its the hole on the right.

When I feed filament into mine, I hold the filament so that it is curling down and the lower tip ends up pointing to the right. That seems to make sure it goes between the drive wheel and idler. It took a while for mine to feed in properly and it was sort of clicking until it did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 11:05AM by Vanbot.
April 17, 2015 11:15AM
Ecky
VANBOT:

I just remembered that I had to turn over the Y axis motor connector to get the bed to move toward the back on homing.

My Y endstop is at the Y motor end of the printer. Left or right doesn't matter. I am thinking of moving it to the other side next to the power supply so all three switches are in the same corner. The endstop position change instruction came from Dan at FT in response to an email I sent him asking about the endstop location.
Most of us attach the clip on the back threaded rod that sticks out a bit from the nut and have your end stop click against the heated bed. Dan

Customer service has been OK but I had small troublesome sales transaction going on at the same time so I had their attention. By OK I mean they didn't reply instantly but it was 1 or 2 days at worst.

Thanks Ecky. So it sounds like Dan is advising attaching the Y end stop at the back of the bed rather than the front? Another bit of confusion from Folger then since their manual says to put the end stop at the front of the bed and if you do follow Dan's advice and put it at the back it will change your Home position and will require changes in settings/firmware. I'm sure they're selling a LOT of these kits right now but it would be nice for their customers if they'd take the time to make sure their documentation wasn't full of bad information.

It's now one week since I sent Dan a photo of my RAMPS board and still no response. I'm going to see if I can find some thinner connectors that will allow me to plug in my motors but I'm pretty underwhelmed by their customer service so far. For a start, my printer took twice as long to ship as they had indicated. It took a month for it to get to me. I get things shipped from China faster than that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login