Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay

Posted by Waltermixx 
Re: Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay
May 10, 2015 08:05PM
Hardware list for dbrewski's E3D v6 direct drive extruder remix

This is what I used, I had a lot of this already but bought fresh hardware just in case

1x M4x50 screws (idler tension)
4x M4x30 screws (a little short, might want to try 35-40)
5x M4 nuts
a spring for the idler
a few M4 washers (optional, use to increase tension on the idler if your spring is to weak, or try to use a shorter screw)
1x M3x16 screw
1x M3x20 screw
1x M3 nut
2x M3 washers
3x M3x10 screws

Bearing extender fits a 5x10x4 bearing

I used the 2 screws that held the stepper to the carriage in the folger configuration to attach the dbrewski's 'carriage mount' to folger x carriage

dbrewski
Let's see how these work out for everyone. I printed them tonight and everything seems to fit OK with very little extra work. I haven't tested the fit of the E3D in the extruder but that shouldn't be too hard to make fit with a little sandpaper. I have attached all the files you will need. Please provide feedback if anyone decides to use this.
May 10, 2015 10:48PM
Ecky
Chrome:

What is that clack clack noise ????

I built mine with the Y endstop at the other end as per the Folger FAQ. My X is where your's is. My enstop connectors are as the build manual. X in the lowest position(1), skip one(2), Y is next in 3 and Z is in 5. My configuration.h is posted for your use if you like. It works but it may be mirror imaged. Still testing.[/quote

The motors are still trying to move even when they hit the end stop, I think they're skipping on the belt. The configuration would work if it's a hardware issue?
May 11, 2015 02:36AM
Hold off on printing the dbrewski e3d v6 carriage mount, an adjustment needs to be made.
May 11, 2015 06:35AM
Chrome
What is that clack clack noise ????

The noise was a single "clack" that seemed to be at the same time as when you clicked on the screen.
May 11, 2015 03:10PM
Awesome work guys! I bought the hardware at lunch today. Can't wait to see the final design! My new hot end should be sitting at home when I get there.

Tardisrepair
Hardware list for dbrewski's E3D v6 direct drive extruder remix

This is what I used, I had a lot of this already but bought fresh hardware just in case

1x M4x50 screws (idler tension)
4x M4x30 screws (a little short, might want to try 35-40)
5x M4 nuts
a spring for the idler
a few M4 washers (optional, use to increase tension on the idler if your spring is to weak, or try to use a shorter screw)
1x M3x16 screw
1x M3x20 screw
1x M3 nut
2x M3 washers
3x M3x10 screws

Bearing extender fits a 5x10x4 bearing

I used the 2 screws that held the stepper to the carriage in the folger configuration to attach the dbrewski's 'carriage mount' to folger x carriage

dbrewski
Let's see how these work out for everyone. I printed them tonight and everything seems to fit OK with very little extra work. I haven't tested the fit of the E3D in the extruder but that shouldn't be too hard to make fit with a little sandpaper. I have attached all the files you will need. Please provide feedback if anyone decides to use this.
May 11, 2015 07:02PM
Do you mean reverse them? They are plugged in where they were said to in the manual
May 11, 2015 09:03PM
chromecarz00
Do you mean reverse them? They are plugged in where they were said to in the manual

If your responding to Ecky, I mean just like in the manual, step 44.
May 11, 2015 10:27PM
chromecarz00

The slots for end stops on the RAMPS are arranged like this:

Z MAX
Z MIN
YMAX
Y MIN
X MAX
X MIN

So the very bottom slot on RAMPS is for the X end stop if the actual end stop is in a Min position on the printer. Ditto for Y and Z. To get my printer to work right I had to plug my X end stop into the X MAX slot, not the X MIN slot that the manual says to use.
May 12, 2015 03:43AM
Vanbot
chromecarz00

The slots for end stops on the RAMPS are arranged like this:

Z MAX
Z MIN
YMAX
Y MIN
X MAX
X MIN

So the very bottom slot on RAMPS is for the X end stop if the actual end stop is in a Min position on the printer. Ditto for Y and Z. To get my printer to work right I had to plug my X end stop into the X MAX slot, not the X MIN slot that the manual says to use.

Tried to switch them, no luck...
May 12, 2015 10:50AM
Is anyone using Marlin 1.0.2? I tried updating but am having some weird issues..

I moved over all settings from the version of Marlin that Folger provided. I also noticed that there is a line in pins.h that needs to be uncommented for the Ramps 1.3/1.4 board. Everything appeared to be working fine, so I loaded some gcode and started a print.

At first, it looked like the bed was taking significantly longer than usual to heat (it was only set to 65c). I put my hand on the bed and noticed it felt way hotter than usual. I quickly flashed the Folger firmware back to the Arduino, by the time it was done flashing and I got reconnected to Repetier, the bed had cooled down to 76c - something definitely isn't right!!

Either the Folger firmware is under heating, or v1.0.2 is way overheating.

Any suggestions??
May 12, 2015 11:45AM
I upgraded a few weeks ago and noticed some bed issues as well. I didn't change anything in pins.h though.

My bed takes forever to heat up after the upgrade and I had to insulate for the first time. I do remember thinking that the bed seemed hotter then it was showing. I'll measure the actual temp tonight and see what I am getting.
May 12, 2015 11:55AM
Thanks! That would be awesome, I don't have a way to measure the bed temp other than trusting the thermistor reading - which is definitely different between firmware versions.

I've read elsewhere that it seems to take longer to heat in 1.0.2 - maybe it doesnt actually take longer to heat, it takes longer because it is overheating?

This is the line I uncommented in pins.h (line 545 in particular, 544-546 are below), the Folger version has it uncommented as well

// uncomment one of the following lines for RAMPS v1.3 or v1.0, comment both for v1.2 or 1.1
// #define RAMPS_V_1_3
// #define RAMPS_V_1_0

The thermistor table for '6' in thermistortables.h, the one we use in configuration.h, is also different between the Folger firmware and the one in 1.0.2. I have no idea what that bit of code means, but it is definitely different between versions...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 12:04PM by hockey9999.
May 12, 2015 12:20PM
I've used a laser thermometer to measure de hotbed (the glass over the bed, actually). It gets to a max of 97C after like an hour of heating. But in repetier shows about 90. The thermistor is in the hole of the pcb.
Folger changed me the first heat bed, but the new one still does have the same result, so the problem are mosfet or power supply.
I'm using 1.02 marlin.
May 12, 2015 12:38PM
If you measured the temp with a thermometer and it was 97c, but Marlin reports 90c to Repetier, wouldn't that indicate a problem with Marlin?
May 12, 2015 12:51PM
I suppose there are a lot of things involved. The position and accuracy of the thermis, the glass (I use sitall glass)....
That temperature is reached only in the center of the bed. As you go to the sides the temp goes down about 4C.
May 12, 2015 12:55PM
I wonder if this has anything to do with it? Maybe Folger edited the table in their firmware similar to what MakerFarm did?

thermistor

I just emailed them about an unrelated issue and asked.. I'll let everyone know what they say

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 01:08PM by hockey9999.
May 12, 2015 03:16PM
I'll post these again. There was an issue with getting the nozzle to reach the bed because there was so much z height added with this mount. The x-carriage was bottoming out on the z-axis coupling before nozzle was able to reach the bed. We decided to change two things. First, I adjusted the extruder to drop the hotend down a few millimeters. Second we had to change configuration for the z-axis endstop (see attached picture courtesy of tardisrepair). This set up will also require part [www.thingiverse.com]. I am currently reworking the endstop mount for this part to accommodate the increased z height but there is a temporary endstop holder that will work I can get it finished. This set up is currently up and running and should be good to go. Please let me know if anyone has any problems.
Attachments:
open | download - MountingPlate5_11.stl (60.7 KB)
open | download - Bearing Extender15.1mm.stl (9.5 KB)
open | download - Bearing Extender15.3mm.stl (9.5 KB)
open | download - Bearing Extender15.5mm.stl (9.7 KB)
open | download - Bearing Extender15.7mm.stl (9.7 KB)
open | download - Motor Mount_5_7.stl (112.6 KB)
open | download - Idler_5_8.stl (59.9 KB)
open | download - Extruder Clamp_5_7.stl (22.5 KB)
open | download - Z Axis Endstop Mount.stl (5.2 KB)
open | download - unnamed.jpg (91.3 KB)
May 13, 2015 03:58AM
dbrewski, am I wrong in thinking this uses the traditional prusa x-carriage or is this compatible with the rework? sorry I don't know anything about this kit.
May 13, 2015 04:23AM
redid wiring and they are stopping which is good. however, once homed they do not move manually....and the x-axis slows down at certain points in the movement
May 13, 2015 06:42AM
It uses the x-carriage that comes with the original kit. You should be able to take the old extruder off, salvage some of the hardware, and fasten the new up with minimal hassle.

I also posted it on thingiverse. [www.thingiverse.com] I wasn't going to do it originally, but I decided to in the long run because of how much I use the website, and I want the design to be available to anyone so it can further improved for other Folgertech users.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 09:27AM by dbrewski.
May 13, 2015 01:43PM
Maybe a dumb question.. what are the 4 different bearing extenders for?

Also, does this need to be printed in ABS, or will PLA be OK?
May 13, 2015 02:45PM
The bearing extenders are for the stepper motor shaft. There are four different OD sizes to accommodate the differences in material and printers. They use a 5x10x4 bearing to help reduce the radial stress on the stepper motor shaft. It should work for both types of plastic. I made one with PLA that come out OK and tardisrepair made his using white ABS and has had pretty good luck. I'm currently writing up installation instructions and Bill of Materials to help with installation on the thingiverse page.
May 13, 2015 02:48PM
Awesome, thanks! I knew only one of them would be used, just couldn't figure out why there were different sizes.. this is all still new to me!

I'm thinking about ordering the E3D Lite6, seems to be a good upgrade to the stock hotend without spending a fortune.
May 13, 2015 03:18PM
dbrewski is there any chance you'd post the scad/cad files? Cause I would love to use this extruder but I would like to mount it to a rework x carriage instead of standard prusa x carriage.
May 13, 2015 05:17PM
hockey9999
Thanks! That would be awesome, I don't have a way to measure the bed temp other than trusting the thermistor reading - which is definitely different between firmware versions.

I've read elsewhere that it seems to take longer to heat in 1.0.2 - maybe it doesnt actually take longer to heat, it takes longer because it is overheating?

My infrared thermometer is reading 90c when it is showing 80c... Hot end seems to be right on though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 05:25PM by DriftyDave.
May 13, 2015 05:29PM
Maybe the bed and hot end actually have different thermistors?

I changed both the hotend and bed thermistor values in Configuration.h to 1. I dont have a way to measure temp aside from trusting the thermistor - but bed heating times seemed to be back in line with what I was experiencing when using the Folger firmware. A test print after making the changes seemed to come out fine.

It may be worth changing at least the bed to thermistor 1 and trying again..

I just ordered an E3D Lite6, so at least I'll know for sure what thermistor value to use for the hotend..
May 13, 2015 08:41PM
I just installed a E3Dv6 clone and its running really well. I had to pull it apart and clean it up a tad but it came in looking good and the prints are so very much better then the old hot end.

I use 6 for both extruder and bed thermistors. I'll give 1 a try on the bed and see how that goes. Thanks!
May 13, 2015 08:47PM
Definitely let me know how it works out. I'm curious to see if you get accurate temps with the infrared thermometer, after changing to 1.
May 14, 2015 12:03PM
Greetings all,

I received an Folger Prusa i3 Kit in April and finally got it up and running about a week ago. I'm in the process of dialing it in and am working on improved bridging and other areas where it's deficient in the test I found here -

[makezine.com]-.

Some of my goals are to add a 2nd extruder, maybe scale it up a bit and start working with nylon. I'll be following this thread and leanring as I go.

Cheers!
May 14, 2015 08:58PM
Hey everyone, I am currently assembling a folger tech prusa kit and when I tried to manually extrude 50 cm of plastic to test the extruder, the motor seems to pull the filament in a little and then pull it out a little and it never grabs purchase of the filament or extrudes any. I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login