Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay

Posted by Waltermixx 
Re: Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay
May 14, 2015 09:49PM
Hotend needs to be on. Won't extract cold.

CyBer
Hey everyone, I am currently assembling a folger tech prusa kit and when I tried to manually extrude 50 cm of plastic to test the extruder, the motor seems to pull the filament in a little and then pull it out a little and it never grabs purchase of the filament or extrudes any. I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this?
May 14, 2015 10:03PM
Skipping? Turn up the voltage on the extruder driver . . . I had to turn up to about .9 before mine became reliable.

- Tim
May 15, 2015 12:06AM
CyBer
Hey everyone, I am currently assembling a folger tech prusa kit and when I tried to manually extrude 50 cm of plastic to test the extruder, the motor seems to pull the filament in a little and then pull it out a little and it never grabs purchase of the filament or extrudes any. I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this?

Extruder motor is turning the wrong way? My Folger did. Reverse the motor plug 180 degrees.
May 15, 2015 12:16AM
The motor seems like it is jittering back and forth and not revolving when I hold the filament. I turned the voltage up to around 1.2, and it still didn't do anything.
May 15, 2015 07:59AM
You might want to check the wiring. I think awhile ago someone in this post had similar issues. When he compared the wiring to a working motor it wasn't the same color combination. After he fixed the color combination he was good to go.
May 15, 2015 02:02PM
I tried both orientations of wiring and it is still jittering back and forth.
May 15, 2015 02:23PM
Have you tried plugging the motor into the spare stepper driver and seeing if that works?
May 16, 2015 12:14PM
I just got the rev B kit and I'm having trouble with the end stop on the y axis. There are no bearing holders for the switch to contact like in the rev A kit. I can't seem to figure out a way to mount them, how did you guys do it?
May 16, 2015 06:38PM
hockey9999
Definitely let me know how it works out. I'm curious to see if you get accurate temps with the infrared thermometer, after changing to 1.

I am getting much more accurate temps using 1 as a value for bed thermistor. RAMPS says 80 and my infrared thermometer is showing 82. The bed comes up to temp really fast too!

I printed and installed the extruder design from last page. It went together really nicely and is printing really well!! Folger Technologies E3D Direct Drive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2015 06:42PM by DriftyDave.
May 16, 2015 11:32PM
Dnixon123
I just got the rev B kit and I'm having trouble with the end stop on the y axis. There are no bearing holders for the switch to contact like in the rev A kit. I can't seem to figure out a way to mount them, how did you guys do it?

Check the Folger website FAQ. Basically it says to put the microswitch on the other end of the Y axis. Keep you finger on the emergency stop for the motors when you first try it. It may not go in that direction when you home it and it runs out of travel and makes a racket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2015 11:36PM by Ecky.
May 17, 2015 02:36AM
Dnixon123

When you get to the printing stage make yourself one of these if the printer uses 8mm threaded rods:
[www.thingiverse.com]

or one of these if it uses 10mm threaded rods:
[www.thingiverse.com]

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
May 17, 2015 09:46AM
This is my install with the original part.

May 18, 2015 01:50PM
Dnixon123

Use the Y ends top holder that Steve suggests and then I also put one of the big springy paper clips that holds my glass onto the heated bed so that it contacts the end stop microswitch. It provides a much larger contact surface so less chance it will miss.
May 18, 2015 05:02PM
Holy smokes. Thanks for this. Bed heats up in half the time. Went from 8 minutes to 4.

DriftyDave
I am getting much more accurate temps using 1 as a value for bed thermistor.
May 19, 2015 03:19PM
krwynn
Holy smokes. Thanks for this. Bed heats up in half the time. Went from 8 minutes to 4.

Nice! It has made a big difference for me after the marlin update. The bed acts like it used to using the Folger provided version of marlin.

I have a quick question I'm hoping someone knows the answer too. When a print finishes on my printer the x carriage homes, then the z homes, then y homes. For a tall print the head can crash into the print with this procedure. Does anyone know how to make the z axis home last so the head drops into the home position last instead of the x axis hitting printed pieces as y homes?
May 19, 2015 03:29PM
huge, HUGE improvement over backlash and z wobble (if you have it) with these items.

Z Axis Anti wobble for Prusa I3
8x Leveling and Extruder Springs for Reprap Prusa Mendel 3D Printer i2 i3
16 Pcs Solid Brass M5 5mm Dia Thread Hex Head Screw Nuts

I cut one spring into 3 even sections and used the top and bottom for each thing.
I also cut and filed the nut holder off both x idler and x motor piece to keep the 5mm threaded rods free from any potential obstruction.

I us this sparingly on the solid rods and on the threaded 5mm rods. Also a light coat on top of the thing above.
Super Lube 21030 Synthetic Grease (NLGI 2), 3 oz Tube

Definately in the top 3 for improvements so far.
May 19, 2015 03:32PM
DriftyDave
I have a quick question I'm hoping someone knows the answer too. When a print finishes on my printer the x carriage homes, then the z homes, then y homes. For a tall print the head can crash into the print with this procedure. Does anyone know how to make the z axis home last so the head drops into the home position last instead of the x axis hitting printed pieces as y homes?

Try adding this to your endcode

G1 Z5 ; raise Z 5mm

I add it before the lines before it starts homing.

you may need to add this line before that one if it trys to lower to 5mm off the bed

G91 ; set relative

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 03:39PM by krwynn.
SRM
May 20, 2015 02:05AM
yesterday I finally assembled and calibrated my Prusa i3, but after installation of Repetier-host, in Manual Control section I see no temp slider for heatbed. all other settings are ok. does anyone can tell me what I missed. thanks
May 20, 2015 10:17AM
SRM
yesterday I finally assembled and calibrated my Prusa i3, but after installation of Repetier-host, in Manual Control section I see no temp slider for heatbed. all other settings are ok. does anyone can tell me what I missed. thanks

My first thought is to check the bed thermistor and make sure it is connected to the RAMPS properly. Also test to see if the thermistor is functional.

[www.learningaboutelectronics.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 10:17AM by DriftyDave.
May 20, 2015 11:27PM
I'm supposed to be getting this kit in the mail tomorrow and I have to say i'm quite excited!

I'm completely new to 3D printing but i'm a quick learner and I don't think I will have too many issues getting it up and going.

Since i'm a noob is there any advice from people who have bought this kit to lend me?
Any initial tips or anything for the building process or setup?
Anything would help!
May 20, 2015 11:39PM
Apple-
I'm supposed to be getting this kit in the mail tomorrow and I have to say i'm quite excited!

I'm completely new to 3D printing but i'm a quick learner and I don't think I will have too many issues getting it up and going.

Since i'm a noob is there any advice from people who have bought this kit to lend me?
Anything would help!
Don't rush it, and take your time! You've found this thread, so you've already got an incredible source of info on this build. If you get stuck, check this thread and youtube, otherwise just ask a question and we'd be more than glad to help you out.

Congrats on your first build and welcome to 3d printing smiling smiley
May 20, 2015 11:42PM
Read this thread twice beginning to end.
Watch this youtube series Folger Technologies Prusa i3 3d Printer Build

Read the manual and make changes based on comments in this forum.

Good luck!

Apple-

Anything would help!
SRM
May 21, 2015 02:45PM
DriftyDave
SRM

My first thought is to check the bed thermistor and make sure it is connected to the RAMPS properly. Also test to see if the thermistor is functional.

[www.learningaboutelectronics.com]

thanks a lot. simply turned the connector and it appeared immediately. I even tried to print my first thing ever and it is awesome, of course it isn't perfect but I'm impressed. there were couple of issues I noticed during print.
cracking sound in the extruder sometimes when it was printing long solid lines. it was like filament slip a little and lines has a gaps.
x-axis motor was hotter than the others
May 21, 2015 02:48PM
That cracking sound is usually from moisture in the filament. My x-axis gets overly warm too, might want to adjust the vref.
May 21, 2015 04:47PM
Hi guys, I've tried the #define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 1
This is what I get. It gets faster to the printing temperature... BUT this was only because it was showing like 8C more than the actual temperature. I've cheched with my infrared thermometer. Measuring 92C, repetier was reading 100C
I'll try later to check the time more accurately.
May 21, 2015 07:07PM
Hopefully your still studying But, if you haven't started assembly yet I have a great During build Mod!

I used A belt sander to slightly square off the the allen heads on the frame M screws. then while they were
Still hot, pressed them into the slots where the nuts are supposed to go, BACKWARDS, they kind of melt
in and lock in place! Hope your printed parts are better than mine, is why I had the belt sander out...
With this method I was able to Really crank them down and I had NO cracking of the Acrylic!
Plus, you don't even need to pickup the Allen wrench...
Also,
Insulate the bed, now,
Get a set of good digital calipers and DVM
Read, watch, study, and Triple check wiring! instructions are a little off
Ask here before guessing
May 21, 2015 07:10PM
Hopefully your still studying But, if you haven't started assembly yet I have a great During build Mod!

I used A belt sander to slightly square off the the allen heads on the frame M screws. then while they were
Still hot, pressed them into the slots where the nuts are supposed to go, BACKWARDS, they kind of melt
in and lock in place! Hope your printed parts are better than mine, is why I had the belt sander out...
With this method I was able to Really crank them down and I had NO cracking of the Acrylic!
Plus, you don't even need to pickup the Allen wrench...
Also,
Insulate the bed, now,
Get a set of good digital calipers and DVM
Read, watch, study, and Triple check wiring! instructions are a little off
Ask here before guessing
May 21, 2015 07:45PM
Should I use the supplied version of Marlin?

I do plan to set up an auto-leveling bed as one of my first projects, and I heard you have to upgrade your firmware before doing that. Is that true or should I just use what is supplied in the google drive?
May 21, 2015 07:54PM
I used the new version and copied settings from the one folger had. Then adjusted from there.

Apple-
Should I use the supplied version of Marlin?

I do plan to set up an auto-leveling bed as one of my first projects, and I heard you have to upgrade your firmware before doing that. Is that true or should I just use what is supplied in the google drive?
May 22, 2015 09:28PM
For my X carriage, on the part when I have to insert the threaded rods into the stepper motors, it's very bowed out. I've made sure that the rods are as far as in as they can be. Anyone else have this problem?

[imgur.com]

Photos for clarification^

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2015 09:33PM by Apple-.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login