Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay

Posted by Waltermixx 
Re: Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay
May 22, 2015 11:43PM
Looks like you have everything upside down. Nut traps and x-carriage for sure are. They don't need to be in all the way. Also, if you would have watched the videos I suggested, particularly part 17 you'd see how it should look at this point.

Apple-
For my X carriage, on the part when I have to insert the threaded rods into the stepper motors, it's very bowed out. I've made sure that the rods are as far as in as they can be. Anyone else have this problem?

[imgur.com]

Photos for clarification^

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2015 11:49PM by krwynn.
May 23, 2015 12:20AM
krwynn
Looks like you have everything upside down. Nut traps and x-carriage for sure are. They don't need to be in all the way. Also, if you would have watched the videos I suggested, particularly part 17 you'd see how it should look at this point.

Apple-
For my X carriage, on the part when I have to insert the threaded rods into the stepper motors, it's very bowed out. I've made sure that the rods are as far as in as they can be. Anyone else have this problem?

[imgur.com]

Photos for clarification^

I just had it sitting like that for demostration purposes. I have it correct.

All my smooth rods are the same length, and they are too long on the carriage, as seen in the photos.
May 23, 2015 05:42PM
Hello,

It appears that my green power terminal on my RAMPS board has melted. I made sure that all of the screws were tight on the wires and the wires were not tinned. Any ideas as to why this happened? I did happen to read about some of the cheaper RAMPS boards use low amp connectors. Does anyone know where I can order a better power terminal to solder on as I have now removed the old melted one?

Thank you
May 23, 2015 05:49PM
Only thing that would do that is a bad connection creating heat. ALL parts are listed here with a link to a vendor: http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4

bmfcamaro
Hello,

It appears that my green power terminal on my RAMPS board has melted. I made sure that all of the screws were tight on the wires and the wires were not tinned. Any ideas as to why this happened? I did happen to read about some of the cheaper RAMPS boards use low amp connectors. Does anyone know where I can order a better power terminal to solder on as I have now removed the old melted one?

Thank you
May 23, 2015 05:52PM
Thank you. I cant imagine the screws backing out enough to cause that, but I guess it could happen. Any ideas for an alternative hookup? Something more secure, maybe actual soldered connectors?

krwynn
Only thing that would do that is a bad connection creating heat. ALL parts are listed here with a link to a vendor: http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4

bmfcamaro
Hello,

Thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 05:56PM by bmfcamaro.
May 23, 2015 10:25PM
Go to Euroblock barrier strips. The problem isn't the screw down onto the wire, it's the crappy Chinese knockoff connectors that make flaky connections and melt down at a fraction of thier ratings. Barrier strips remove the sliding contact, and hence the problem.

[www.mouser.com]

- Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 05:08AM by tadawson.
May 24, 2015 12:14AM
Hello all, I am new to 3d printing and bought and assembled the i3 prusa kit (revb) . A few problems that I need help with, one is the heat bed doesn't show up on repetier host. So not sure if it even works, and two is I bought a full graphics controller that lights up but doesn't do anything else. I've tried different versions of marlin and nothing works for the controller. I think I need a line by line configure h of marlin to get that working. Trying to tackle one problem at a time. Any help would be really great, thanks
May 24, 2015 08:54PM
I'm having some serious trouble getting the printer homing configured. It's only the x-axis that I'm really having problems with. I followed the build and configuration instructions from Folger Tech so I have my x end stop to the right and I have my marlin and repetier host set how they recommended. Without changing anything, the x-carriage slides to the left but doesn't stop at the end stop. I've tried messing with both marlin and repetier but nothing seems to work. I've been able to reverse which way the extruder moves but that's about it. If someone could try and help me or send me their configuration file, if they have a similar setup, that would really help. I've tried everything I can think of and I'm getting really frustrated.
SRM
May 25, 2015 01:07AM
shepp
Hello all, I am new to 3d printing and bought and assembled the i3 prusa kit (revb) . A few problems that I need help with, one is the heat bed doesn't show up on repetier host. So not sure if it even works, and two is I bought a full graphics controller that lights up but doesn't do anything else. I've tried different versions of marlin and nothing works for the controller. I think I need a line by line configure h of marlin to get that working. Trying to tackle one problem at a time. Any help would be really great, thanks
hi, regarding heat bed, I had a similar problem, my was solved by simple turn of the connector on the RAMPS and it appeared immediately without restart of RH
SRM
May 25, 2015 01:11AM
bmfcamaro
Thank you. I cant imagine the screws backing out enough to cause that, but I guess it could happen. Any ideas for an alternative hookup? Something more secure, maybe actual soldered connectors?

krwynn

bmfcamaro
Hello,

Thank you
in this case I would solder the wires directly to RAMPS
May 25, 2015 10:11AM
Another thing it might be is a bad mosfet. At one point my middle mosfet was heated to the point it cracked and then melted the plastic. It then proceeded to destroy itself.

As this happened it appeared that my mosfet Q2 (D9) was not turned off when the max temperature was reached on the extruder.

A link as to this specific example Q2 mosfet is RAMPS 1.4 smoked extruder
May 25, 2015 05:39PM
Dnixon123
I'm having some serious trouble getting the printer homing configured. It's only the x-axis that I'm really having problems with. I followed the build and configuration instructions from Folger Tech so I have my x end stop to the right and I have my marlin and repetier host set how they recommended. Without changing anything, the x-carriage slides to the left but doesn't stop at the end stop. I've tried messing with both marlin and repetier but nothing seems to work. I've been able to reverse which way the extruder moves but that's about it. If someone could try and help me or send me their configuration file, if they have a similar setup, that would really help. I've tried everything I can think of and I'm getting really frustrated.

I had the same problem with my Folger build. Their manual has some errors in it. Try moving the X end stop plug onto the set of end stop pins on RAMPS that is second from the bottom. The Folger manual says to use the bottom-most pins but that position is for a Min end stop. Because Folger puts their X end stop on the right side of the printer it is actually functioning as a Max end stop so you need to bump that connector up one slot to the Max pins on RAMPS.
May 25, 2015 06:17PM
That solved that problem with mh seeing the bed, now I need the bed to heat up and the lcd controller is still puzzling me
May 25, 2015 08:32PM
Vanbot
Dnixon123

I had the same problem with my Folger build. Their manual has some errors in it. Try moving the X end stop plug onto the set of end stop pins on RAMPS that is second from the bottom. The Folger manual says to use the bottom-most pins but that position is for a Min end stop. Because Folger puts their X end stop on the right side of the printer it is actually functioning as a Max end stop so you need to bump that connector up one slot to the Max pins on RAMPS.

I've tried that but I get the same results. Nothing I do seems to get it right. The x-axis just doesn't respond to the end stop being hit. I tried switching out the end stop with ones I know work but I get the same result. I might just try to switch the end stop to the min side but I don't want to have to redo all my wiring and I really want to figure out what's going on in the software after working on it for so long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 08:33PM by Dnixon123.
May 25, 2015 08:49PM
Dnixon123
Vanbot

I've tried that but I get the same results. Nothing I do seems to get it right. The x-axis just doesn't respond to the end stop being hit. I tried switching out the end stop with ones I know work but I get the same result. I might just try to switch the end stop to the min side but I don't want to have to redo all my wiring and I really want to figure out what's going on in the software after working on it for so long.

You need to send the printer M119 codes to see test the status of the endstops and troubleshoot this. What does an M119 give you when the switches are normal, what does it give you when they are closed?

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
May 25, 2015 09:24PM
Dnixon123
Vanbot
Dnixon123

So if you trigger the end stop by hand it does't stop the motor? Tried swapping in a different end stop?
May 26, 2015 12:17PM

Same here, (power connector) I had a spare ramps so I replaced but was strange because all the connections were secure and last night I touched the new connector and was hot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2015 12:45PM by slanwar.
May 26, 2015 12:20PM
will that block fit the ramps?
May 26, 2015 01:13PM
SteveRoy
Dnixon123
Vanbot

You need to send the printer M119 codes to see test the status of the endstops and troubleshoot this. What does an M119 give you when the switches are normal, what does it give you when they are closed?

Steve

I sent M119 codes to the printer and I think something is wrong with the x end stop connectors on my ramps board. When ever I connect an end stop to the x connector it doesn't recognize that it is being triggered. Both the y and z end stops work. I've tried switching all the end stops around and it's only when they are connected to the x axis that they don't work.
May 26, 2015 04:00PM
I got my end stops working, I reset the x end stop pins to the z max end stop pins in marlin. The printer is now working and I'm getting ready to start my first print!
May 26, 2015 07:40PM
Dnixon123
I got my end stops working, I reset the x end stop pins to the z max end stop pins in marlin. The printer is now working and I'm getting ready to start my first print!

Hope it goes well.
May 26, 2015 10:33PM
Vanbot
Dnixon123

Hope it goes well.

Thanks! I really appreciate the help!
May 26, 2015 11:14PM
I am still having problems with the full lcd controller being recognized. It turns on but all I get is a blue screen with no controls, need help with this. I have so much to print for my quads thats its ridiculous.
May 27, 2015 02:40PM
Has anyone removed the heatsink on the extruder and have the fan directly on that? I switched extruders because I couldn't get decent results with Bronzefill with the included one. Just running some regular PLA through first so I don't waste the bronzefill, and I notice it's under extruding. I might need more tension in my spring, but I think the PLA might be getting warm enough in the extruder to have the gear slip.
May 27, 2015 07:03PM
shepp
I am still having problems with the full lcd controller being recognized. It turns on but all I get is a blue screen with no controls, need help with this. I have so much to print for my quads thats its ridiculous.

I had a lot of problems getting mine to work. I think the Marlin firmware as provided by Folger will not work with the hardware (LCD) as provided by Folger. The only way I could get mine to work was by using the latest version of Marlin. Have you tried that yet?
May 27, 2015 08:21PM
I have a little bit, but need the proper con h settings, I be tried a lot of different things in config only to get a blue screen
May 27, 2015 08:30PM
shepp
I have a little bit, but need the proper con h settings, I be tried a lot of different things in config only to get a blue screen

Yes you'd have to change all the settings in the newer version of Marlin to match what's in your Folger version.

Have you tried swapping the two cables around? I think if you have them backwards it will show a blank display.
May 27, 2015 10:21PM
I did that and the screen lightened a bit and it started beeping at me. WAs wondering if anybody had a config with all the good settings. Getting very frustrated with this.
May 27, 2015 11:44PM
Follow this step by step and it will work. At least it did for me first try. Not sure how much you have changed in you configuration.h file so you may want to start with a fresh copy. Oh and cover the exposed pins on the LCD with Kapton or electrical tape so you dont accidently short something out.

3D printing guides - Setting up a LCD and SD card controller panel

shepp
I did that and the screen lightened a bit and it started beeping at me. WAs wondering if anybody had a config with all the good settings. Getting very frustrated with this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2015 11:46PM by krwynn.
May 28, 2015 10:28AM
krwynn
Follow this step by step and it will work. At least it did for me first try. Not sure how much you have changed in you configuration.h file so you may want to start with a fresh copy. Oh and cover the exposed pins on the LCD with Kapton or electrical tape so you dont accidently short something out.

3D printing guides - Setting up a LCD and SD card controller panel

shepp
LCD not working here neither.... I tried a lot of things, (including the Thomas video...).....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login