205 Hot end temp
110 heat bed
Elmers purple glue

4.5 hour print

Turned out perfect. Smooth as glass.
Re: Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay
May 29, 2015 05:30AM
Hi
I have this calibration stl which is 10mm X 10mm with inside 5mm X 5mm empty square and as long as I try I cant get my Folger tech printer to go above this quality.
what am I doing wrong? according to the pic what need to be fixed with the marlin conf file?(the x mark on the print is the front side)
I also attach what I think is relevant from my conf file:

// default settings

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {79.7, 80.3, 4030, 101} // default steps per unit for Ultimaker
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {120, 120, 2, 22} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {3000, 3000, 100, 3000}

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 1000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 1000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 05:34AM by mickey.
Attachments:
open | download - IMAG3073.jpg (486.6 KB)
May 29, 2015 09:25AM
Did you got your LCD to work? Mine doesn't work, lights up and stays like that, I expected at least some numbers or letters or even the logo from the manufacturer but nothing.
May 29, 2015 09:30AM
only 205C on your hotend? I use 245 for the first layer then goes down to 240 but never tried with lower temperatures.
May 29, 2015 09:54AM
Mine LCD is still the same, hoping someone will send me there config h file so i can rework it
May 29, 2015 10:41AM
slanwar
only 205C on your hotend? I use 245 for the first layer then goes down to 240 but never tried with lower temperatures.

Yep. Start at 225 and then drop to 205 after the first layer. If I don't it gets to stringy. Ive never started with ABS higher than 225. Hatchbox, MakerGeeks and Botfeeder filaments.
May 29, 2015 01:01PM
How does the Makergeeks ABS compare to the other two? I've only use Folger's ABS. Folger's seems to print well but I can't keep the spool from getting tangled. I also have some very minor layer adhesion problems. Not enough to cause the print to fail, but it doesn't take much force to pull it apart. I'm guessing its temperature related more than the quality of the filament.
May 29, 2015 04:56PM
krwynn
Follow this step by step and it will work. At least it did for me first try. Not sure how much you have changed in you configuration.h file so you may want to start with a fresh copy. Oh and cover the exposed pins on the LCD with Kapton or electrical tape so you dont accidently short something out.

3D printing guides - Setting up a LCD and SD card controller panel

I followed this guide to the letter with my Folger LCD and couldn't get it to work.
May 29, 2015 05:54PM
Which can only mean:
You actually didn't follow the directions
You started with a "dirty" configuration.h file or messed with pins.h or another dependent configuration file
Your LCD was DOA or was hooked up incorrectly
Your Ramps 1.4 board is defective or connections have not been properly seated into the arduino

Vanbot
krwynn
Follow this step by step and it will work. At least it did for me first try. Not sure how much you have changed in you configuration.h file so you may want to start with a fresh copy. Oh and cover the exposed pins on the LCD with Kapton or electrical tape so you dont accidently short something out.

3D printing guides - Setting up a LCD and SD card controller panel

I followed this guide to the letter with my Folger LCD and couldn't get it to work.
May 29, 2015 07:59PM
Hey, everyone. I posted another thread here about extruder issues I am having with the printer. Here is a video.

[www.youtube.com]

If you listen very closely, you will notice that when I tell the printer to extrude it makes this squeaky slipping noise and no plastic comes out. I have to actually push (quite hard as you can see in the video) to get any plastic to come out.

The guide says to set the voltage on the motor to 0.350, should I boost it higher?
May 29, 2015 08:37PM
You can raise the voltage. I would just keep an eye on your driver and motor's temperature. If it starts to get really really warm you will need to turn it down.
May 29, 2015 09:45PM
Ok so thanks for the suggestions guys, but I tried everything you guys have suggested and I disassembled the extruder to see what was going on. The motor is actually jittering back and forth and making no net movement. Do you guys know why the extruder motor would be doing this?
May 29, 2015 10:23PM
Can someone tell me what page is a good config h file that I can use on the newest version of marlin
May 29, 2015 10:38PM
Ok so I figured it out. The wires were inserted into the black plastic piece that holds all the wires in the wrong orientation. I just had to switch it and it started working!
May 29, 2015 11:19PM
Hey everyone! Extremely pleased to announce that I have solved my extruder issues!

The issue was actually a loose screw on the gear inside the stepper motor.

Here's a picture for a better look.

[i.imgur.com]

Just gave it a nice tighten and everything is golden!
May 30, 2015 01:54PM
Same here, tried the video and doesn't work, on top of that my heatbed doesn't go over 94C after updated with the new Marlin, I may missed something so anybody with a configuration.h I can use?
May 30, 2015 01:57PM
Is there any reason my heated bed takes forever to heat up? Like, it physically feels like it gets hot very fast, but the readings take forever to go up.
Possibly a misplaced thermistor I assume.
May 30, 2015 02:50PM
Some of us have found that with the new version of Marlin, changing #define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 6 to #define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 1 makes a huge difference.

slanwar
Same here, tried the video and doesn't work, on top of that my heatbed doesn't go over 94C after updated with the new Marlin, I may missed something so anybody with a configuration.h I can use?
May 30, 2015 02:57PM
Could be a bad connection with either the wires to your bed or the thermistor. Also make sure your thumb screws haven't rubbed through the coating on the heatbed and is making contact with the bed circuit. Some heatbeads have the mounting holes extremely close to the bed curcuitry which can cause issues. Also coat the thermister end with thermal paste and then encapsulate that inside the hole in your heatbed with high temp sealant, top and bottom. Make sure you don't leave a hump on the upper side as it can interfere with your glass and make leveling difficult.

Apple-
Is there any reason my heated bed takes forever to heat up? Like, it physically feels like it gets hot very fast, but the readings take forever to go up.
May 30, 2015 03:12PM
I'm going to change the config file like you said to see if works, i replaced the original wires to 14 gauge including the ones from the power supply to Ramps board. Where I can get the thermal paste?
May 30, 2015 03:55PM
Apple-

What's a long time? Mine takes a couple of minutes to get to 65 degrees.

You've got it wired correctly? Both +ve tabs are connected? Both halves of the bed heat up?
May 30, 2015 04:06PM
[www.google.com]

slanwar
I'm going to change the config file like you said to see if works, i replaced the original wires to 14 gauge including the ones from the power supply to Ramps board. Where I can get the thermal paste?
May 30, 2015 04:48PM
The same we use for cpu's smileys with beer i got some somewhere at home.
May 30, 2015 05:14PM
Changing from 6 to 1 worked hot smiley
Thanks
Now I'm printing the auto leveling and I will try to install the smart LCD controller again.
May 30, 2015 05:56PM
Okay another problem the temperature was set at 110 then after the first layer goes to 105 except keeps going up to 112-114, to remove the plastic i just printout I had to use a small torch on the back of the glass.
May 30, 2015 06:20PM
You need cold, not heat to remove. If just regular glass you'll have to be careful not to cool it too fast. If it's borosilicate glass you can still it in the freezer. Usually a piece will pop off once the glass gets to around 40-45C.

As for your temps, you'll need to set those in your slicing software AND your front end settings. Dont use the slider to control temps.

You need to take the time to read through this thread. Almost all of the problems you are having are all covered throughout.

slanwar
Okay another problem the temperature was set at 110 then after the first layer goes to 105 except keeps going up to 112-114, to remove the plastic i just printout I had to use a small torch on the back of the glass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 06:20PM by krwynn.
May 31, 2015 06:19PM
"You need to take the time to read through this thread."

WHO, IN THEIR RIGHT MIND, would read all the way through this thread.... like I did?!! .....Pfff!
grinning smiley
June 01, 2015 10:16AM
Nice! For the skipping, I increased temp and that helped alot. I was up to 250 before I figured out that I needed to increase the vref voltage at my extruder motor. After that I can print at 220-230.

SRM
DriftyDave
SRM
yesterday I finally assembled and calibrated my Prusa i3, but after installation of Repetier-host, in Manual Control section I see no temp slider for heatbed. all other settings are ok. does anyone can tell me what I missed. thanks

My first thought is to check the bed thermistor and make sure it is connected to the RAMPS properly. Also test to see if the thermistor is functional.

[www.learningaboutelectronics.com]

thanks a lot. simply turned the connector and it appeared immediately. I even tried to print my first thing ever and it is awesome, of course it isn't perfect but I'm impressed. there were couple of issues I noticed during print.
cracking sound in the extruder sometimes when it was printing long solid lines. it was like filament slip a little and lines has a gaps.
x-axis motor was hotter than the others
June 01, 2015 01:32PM
Had my printer since last November... Still reading this thread.... and re-reading......
June 01, 2015 03:23PM
Nargousias
Had my printer since last November... Still reading this thread.... and re-reading......

Yep. While there is a ton of information in this thread, the utter lack of organization makes it less useful than it could be. Sometimes it's like asking someone where the gas cap release button is on your new car and being handed the service manual complete with instructions on how to install pistons rings and every complaint every mechanic has ever had about working on that model of car.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login