Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay

Posted by Waltermixx 
Re: Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay
March 03, 2015 04:18PM
Badkitty
i printed a 20mm calibration cube on mine today. All sides came in at 19.96 - 20.05 mm. my Hot end is loose and spins/wiggles a little when i touch it. Last night i took it apart to get my filament out (change color and it wouldn't feed) i tried to tighten the hot end, but it just kept spinning, so i left it. As i watch it print i don't see it wiggle at all, even when at max axis and the cords put a little tension on it. So i'm happy for now.

Next is getting finer prints. Maybe new hot end and smaller.

an update to this..i disassembled my hot end, i made mistake of turning hot end on while waiting for bed to heat up, so it jammed (first time) When i took it apart, i noticed the hole the hot end was screwed into, wasn't threaded very well, if at all. It looks stripped and smoothed out. I turned it around to the other hole, also reversing the extruder guide, and the hot end is now very tight and doesn't move at all. I'm still getting GREAT prints from it with no problems.

Maybe i got a back block, or maybe during assembly (by folgertech before shipping) someone stripped the shit out of it and just left it. Either way, it's working great. I've gone up to 5hr prints at .5mm and only 1 or 2 skips. if that.
March 04, 2015 10:54PM
Ok so here it is.......First off about 2 Months ago I decided to get into 3d printing and purchased a XYZ printer (From China). I recently tore it completely,I mean completely apart because it just stopped working.

There were just too many problems (long story). Anyways I just saw an add on Ebay for this i3 and ...I bought it. So........now waiting for it to be delivered. I will say that this site is overwelming as far as being extremely helpful and I look forward to a great build.
March 05, 2015 01:08PM
Hey guys, I bought this kit a few months ago, it's my first 3D printer so it's been a hell of a ride smiling smiley

I haven't been able to get the heatbed working whatsoever though.

Repetier doesn't even acknowledge I have a heated print bed sad smiley

How have you guys wired it?
March 05, 2015 01:27PM
goboatmen
Hey guys, I bought this kit a few months ago, it's my first 3D printer so it's been a hell of a ride smiling smiley

I haven't been able to get the heatbed working whatsoever though.

Repetier doesn't even acknowledge I have a heated print bed sad smiley

How have you guys wired it?

I would make sure your configuration.h has been set with the right board number.

Here is the section from my printer, 33 denotes that it is RAMPS 1.3 / 1.4 (Power outputs: Extruder, Fan, Bed):

#ifndef MOTHERBOARD
#define MOTHERBOARD 33
#endif
March 05, 2015 01:39PM
Hey thanks for the quick response. Really appreciate it. I already have it set up as you described sad smiley

Other users in the thread have mentioned this section of the configuration.h file

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 6
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 6

And this is how I have it set up
[imgur.com]
March 05, 2015 01:46PM
Pins 2 and 3 should be wired together

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2015 01:46PM by louspinuso.
March 05, 2015 01:49PM
goboatmen
And this is how I have it set up
[imgur.com]

Is that glue? Glue isnt going to be conductive enough, and its probably not going to resist the heat either. There is no substitute for solder.
Temp_sensor setting you posted are correct.

If you are using a 12v power supply then the bed should be soldered like this:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2015 01:53PM by thefugitive87.
March 05, 2015 02:32PM
It's not glue, just some leftover flux I didn't wipe off. I'll go rewire it properly, thanks for the advice grinning smiley
March 05, 2015 03:43PM
I don't understand the 4 wires......last printer i built i only had 2.....plus went to #1 and negative went to #2&3..plus make sure you have the wires (negative and positive wired to the correct terminals on the board
March 05, 2015 03:46PM
He has an R1 heated be which has a built-in thermistor.
March 05, 2015 04:16PM
goboatmen
It's not glue, just some leftover flux I didn't wipe off. I'll go rewire it properly, thanks for the advice grinning smiley

Do exactly what thefugitive87's pic shows, it'll work fine after that.
March 05, 2015 04:35PM
Printing one of these I saw featured on Thingiverse, Calibration Tool, I think it'll help a lot with calibrating some things I haven't had a chance to print yet.
March 05, 2015 10:40PM
It still doesn't work sad smiley
what should my configuration.h look like with regards to this?
March 08, 2015 08:12PM
still waiting for my kit.........well.......anytime now ........ordered it like a week ago so it
will take some time I guess LOL
March 09, 2015 09:58AM
goboatmen
It still doesn't work sad smiley
what should my configuration.h look like with regards to this?

What terminal do you have the heated bed leads landing in? It should be D8 and the thermistor wires should be going to the T1 pins.

March 10, 2015 04:02PM
I just finished mine, but the larger Y-axis stepper motor is not working. It's vibrating like its trying to step but it will not spin. I took it apart to see if any debris was in the rotor, it was clean. The only thing I can think of is the Vref pot. to adjust, is it possible thats why its just vibrating instead of fully stepping?
March 10, 2015 04:34PM
bcollins12
I just finished mine, but the larger Y-axis stepper motor is not working. It's vibrating like its trying to step but it will not spin. I took it apart to see if any debris was in the rotor, it was clean. The only thing I can think of is the Vref pot. to adjust, is it possible thats why its just vibrating instead of fully stepping?

I had the exact same issue. My problem was one of the Motor cable pins(yellow wire) wasn't crimped properly and the pin made no contact with the wire. This threw off one of the two coil pairs in the motor and through the whole thing off.
Test your cable with a multimeter for continuity(should beep when leads make a connection) or ohms.

If you find that it is the pin being crimped incorrectly, you should be able to manually unfold the crimp, re-strip the wire, and manually re-crimp.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 04:38PM by thefugitive87.
March 10, 2015 04:44PM
I will test this and get back with you, but just to add I did try to plug another harness in from a working motor, and it did the same thing, but I'm not sure if it would've worked because the large motor is 3.4v and the smaller ones are 12v. (Don't know if this would make a difference)
March 10, 2015 10:31PM
I figured out the motor issue, but now I believe I'm having software problems. I checked the config.h file and made sure the board type is 33 ramps 1.3/1.4 but in repetier I can home the axis but cannot control the motors freely, they simply find the stops then done. I tried sprinter firmware with ponterface and it actually can turn the heating bed on (repetier cannot) and the extruder can be turned on, but no motor controlling, it only moves when I press the home buttons in both programs. Any help would be appreciated.
March 10, 2015 10:53PM
It was the stepper driver!! Or at least it was mostly the driver spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I realized the stepper driver is the only thing I hadn't changed and swapped out the extruder driver for the extra driver Folger Tech sent in the kit, set it's vref to 0.356v and then I ran another calibration angle -- WOO HOO!!! The wave is [mostly] gone! The waviness that's left is mostly on the Y-Axis and, I'm sure, can be filtered out with the other suggestions given previously.

I'm 80% sure the vref on the other chip was the same, but it is possible it was different. Would a vref that is too low or high cause the waviness?

See post [forums.reprap.org] for original images.

that1guy
Zavashier
The waves comes from a mecanical issue. What you have already changed could not help. Something's oscilating at regular intervals. Are your Z threaded rods straight ? Are your belts perfectly aligned ? Have you got some play somewhere ?

I'm not convinced it is a belt issue. For it to the belts, both the x and y axis belts would have to both have the same problem AND have that oscillation synced together to make the waves. if you look at the picture, you'll notice the wave doesn't change frequency as it turns the corner. The print is of a calibration angle and each edge is aligned to an axis. This means that as it's printing in one direction, the other motor/belt is not moving. The only part that is constantly moving is the extruder motor. This also explains why the pattern wraps around corners perfectly.

Everything is nice and tight and the waves are in the skirt and first layer, so that rules out the z motor/rods. Im not ruling out mechanical problems, but belts are aligned, bolts are tight, bed is level. Any other ideas?
March 11, 2015 09:24AM
bcollins12
I figured out the motor issue, but now I believe I'm having software problems. I checked the config.h file and made sure the board type is 33 ramps 1.3/1.4 but in repetier I can home the axis but cannot control the motors freely, they simply find the stops then done. I tried sprinter firmware with ponterface and it actually can turn the heating bed on (repetier cannot) and the extruder can be turned on, but no motor controlling, it only moves when I press the home buttons in both programs. Any help would be appreciated.

This is starting to sound like a software issue, which is much easier troubleshooting than hardware. I have since updated to the most recent release of marlin, I would try this. Keep in mind that if you do upgrade marlin, save a copy of your original firmware because you will need to copy some of the values to the new configuration file.

BTW, what was the solution for the motor issue?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2015 09:24AM by thefugitive87.
March 11, 2015 10:54AM
Anyone else have a lot of issues with the extruder jamming? My printer works fine except for that. Whenever I try a long print it inevitably fails halfway through sad smiley
March 11, 2015 11:34AM
The motor issue was actually the 3 jumpers underneath the Y axis ramps board. I bought this printer almost fully assembled from a guy who gave up on it, probably not much electronics experience. Luckily the jumpers were in the spare parts box he gave me. But like I said, this appears to be a software issue because the motors only go one way and I cannot control the components manually in repetier. Also the heat bed thermistor works but I cannot get the extruder thermistor to work, not sure if I have to select the right one in the config.h file. I think I might have an older folger kit actually because mine looks slightly different than their current kit. Maybe I have a different board? Although I doubt it, I currently have the Mega 2560. I will try the new code and get back.
March 11, 2015 11:34AM
goboatmen
Anyone else have a lot of issues with the extruder jamming? My printer works fine except for that. Whenever I try a long print it inevitably fails halfway through sad smiley

I only had problems when I would change filament. Everytime I retracted it would jam. Eventually someone mentioned it might be retracting too fast, so I slowed it down to 1mm and out it popped!
March 11, 2015 12:00PM
bcollins12
The motor issue was actually the 3 jumpers underneath the Y axis ramps board. I bought this printer almost fully assembled from a guy who gave up on it, probably not much electronics experience. Luckily the jumpers were in the spare parts box he gave me. But like I said, this appears to be a software issue because the motors only go one way and I cannot control the components manually in repetier. Also the heat bed thermistor works but I cannot get the extruder thermistor to work, not sure if I have to select the right one in the config.h file. I think I might have an older folger kit actually because mine looks slightly different than their current kit. Maybe I have a different board? Although I doubt it, I currently have the Mega 2560. I will try the new code and get back.

OK. Take some pics so we can get a better idea of what you're working with. also take some close up pics of your thermistor so we can advise what #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 should be set to. Most likely a 6.
March 11, 2015 12:03PM
widespreaddeadhead
goboatmen

I only had problems when I would change filament. Everytime I retracted it would jam. Eventually someone mentioned it might be retracting too fast, so I slowed it down to 1mm and out it popped!

MindRealm created this:
[www.thingiverse.com]
Which helps with filament changes and fixing jams.
March 11, 2015 12:07PM
goboatmen

Try this: How to calibrate the Extruder on your 3d Printer
March 11, 2015 02:01PM
Here are some pictures of my progress on the build. The extruder thermistor is unplugged in these pictures btw. I also installed the newest marlin firmware on it but I'm not sure what values need to be set besides the board I'm using.

March 11, 2015 08:28PM
What are the temperature limits of the included extruder? (for the newest batch) I have some Up plastic that I would like to use but it has a higher than normal melt temp (~270C). Can this hot end handle it? I am afraid to push it that high but I may try if it's been done before.
March 11, 2015 09:38PM
bcollins12,
What I can see right off in the second picture, is that the heat sink is - more than likely - shorting the soldered pins on your X axis stepper driver....would correct pronto. Remove that heat sink and reposition it more centered, being careful not to make contact with any other soldered pins on that little circuit board Hopefully there is no damage done to the driver and/or board.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2015 11:50PM by 55rebel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login