Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

prusa i3 full acrylic frame

Posted by himanshu.madhavani 
prusa i3 full acrylic frame
October 27, 2014 11:31AM
Hello experts,

I do see some of the chinese makers have full acrylic frames for the prusa i3, I was woundering if some one have files or .cdr for it so I can cut if from laser machine to built i3.

Below is the link of the chinese full i3 build : [www.3dprintersonlinestore.com]

Highly appreicate help.
Re: prusa i3 full acrylic frame
October 28, 2014 10:59AM
If you do cut one, use Lexan (plexiglass) instead of acrylic.

I built one of the acrylic frames and threw it away, cracked just looking at it.

John H.
October 28, 2014 05:12PM
Lexan/Polycarbonate can give off toxic fumes when laser cut.
It's a banned material on the laser cutter at my local hackspace.

Steve
October 28, 2014 06:34PM
You can get pc precut to size from some places e.g. [www.plasticstockist.com]
You might also consider dibond which is easy to work with.
October 30, 2014 11:31PM
Cast acrylic is pretty brittle when cut. Dibond can't be cut with a C02 laser as the wavelength isn't correct though can be milled or routed (or you could use a saw or even waterjet) Any plastic that gives off a chloride gas(like PVC) isn't likely to be allowed in a makerspace. Processing polycarbonates like Lexan and Makrolon the fumes cause irritation and some symptoms from mild to acute, headache, nausea though are not toxic unless you have an underlying medical condition. There is a fire risk but that's true of most any material processed using a C02 laser.

Something like 6 mm PETG may work depending on what the frame design is and isn't too expensive.

I've still found wood or a laminate like melamine to offer the best value when building a lower cost machine. They are less expensive, easy to machine and can provide just as rigid of a design as a plastic.
November 14, 2014 03:27PM
Hi, I have that frame dimensions I'll send you after a while. Same time I had cut frame with laser from plexi glass but I couldn't get dimensions of heated bed mount.
If you get you send me after please.
Send me pm or write your mail address so I can send it.
June 11, 2015 02:40PM
Was anyone able to source the cdr or dxf files?

I am particularly looking at this one [www.aliexpress.com].

Push.
June 18, 2015 06:48AM
Bump for interest. I need it, too. Looks pretty charismatic. winking smiley
June 18, 2015 07:53AM
Do they have a jig saw at the hackerspace? Though it sounds cooler to say you did, you don't have to use a laser to cut materials...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login