Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 Kit with MKS Base 1.2 Board

Posted by jerryb 
Prusa i3 Kit with MKS Base 1.2 Board
February 20, 2015 05:15PM
Hello everyone,

First time poster.

I just bought a Prusa i3 kit from here (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3D-Printer-Kit-LCD-Screen-Reprap-Prusa-i3-Self-assembly-Print-Size-270-200-170-/151518996060?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23473c665c) I've got it built and it looks like a nice little machine. Turning it on for the first time I noticed that my heat bead and hotend where not turning on. It didn't work from the LCD panel and it didn't work in Repetier over USB. I suspected that the firmware was screwed up so I grabbed some Marlin firmware and uploaded that. Of course that made things worse. Nothing but gibberish on the LCD display. At this point I'm trying to track down the proper firmware for the printer. I can't find it anywhere online. Can anyone help?

This is my first 3D printer. I have much to learn. I could use a little hand holding.

Thanks in advance
Re: Prusa i3 Kit with MKS Base 1.2 Board
February 22, 2015 04:09AM
I have it working now. The supplier sent me the firmware and I found a defect in the power supply. All functions appear normal.
February 28, 2015 06:49PM
Hi everyone, I have the same problem. Please, can you send me this firmware by email? I would be so grateful.
March 01, 2015 11:16AM
Juha: Done, let me know of your success....
March 04, 2015 10:51PM
Pelease i need the firmware because i have the same problem, the machine works but the extruder motor don't moves and z axis it's inverted i think it's a problem with the power supply if you now anything more please tell me. Thanks for your time
March 05, 2015 10:45PM
Hi,

I've did the same mistake today!

I can't get it work with any new Marlin.

If you can link me the original frimware it will be appreciate!

Thanks!

M-A
March 08, 2015 02:08PM
Hi again!

I cant find the "edit" link..

For those who got the same printer/board ( HIC Prusa I3 / Lseestudio I've got with fonctionnal with:

1. Downloaded the latest Marvin

2. Editing the Config file using these few settings (search where it is in the code:
// The following define selects which electronics board you have.
// Please choose the name from boards.h that matches your setup
#ifndef MOTHERBOARD
  #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB
#endif

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_3 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 1

#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 250
#define HEATER_1_MAXTEMP 
#define HEATER_2_MAXTEMP 0
#define HEATER_3_MAXTEMP 0
#define BED_MAXTEMP 70

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {80,80,403.15,100} //Have to be adjust but these are mine

#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER  //This one have to be uncomment to activate the LCD.

2. Update frimware with using Arduino IDE

3. I've used Repetier and Cura slicer and everything works great!

Hope this can help other people!

M-A
March 08, 2015 08:48PM
Hello: Sorry to respond late. Here is the Marlin firmware for the HIC Prusa I3. I still had to do a bit of editing but several Youtube videos explain how that is done.
Attachments:
open | download - Marlin.zip (196.9 KB)
March 24, 2015 07:40PM
Hello.
I bought the prusa i3 kit from ebay and built it.
The process was a bit teidious since the seller didn't provide correct instructions. (The instructions were for a model with different parts)
But it turned out allright in the end.

I tried uploading the marlin firmware but i can't. The arduino IDE has trouble communicatig with the board for some reason. (times out)
If anyone has a fix please post it.

Also, would you mind sending me the stock firmware? You could put it on 4shared page or something so people would get it easier.

EDIT 1: I got it form here--
[www.ebay.com]
it's a Base 1.2 (with the ramps 1.4) -- i think

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2015 07:43PM by TERMINAL.
March 24, 2015 11:06PM
I just bought this board a few weeks ago and received it yesterday and to my surpise it was a v1.3. Must be an upgrade from 1.2 already.

TERMINAL
Hello.
I bought the prusa i3 kit from ebay and built it.
The process was a bit teidious since the seller didn't provide correct instructions. (The instructions were for a model with different parts)
But it turned out allright in the end.

I tried uploading the marlin firmware but i can't. The arduino IDE has trouble communicatig with the board for some reason. (times out)
If anyone has a fix please post it.

Also, would you mind sending me the stock firmware? You could put it on 4shared page or something so people would get it easier.

EDIT 1: I got it form here--
[www.ebay.com]
it's a Base 1.2 (with the ramps 1.4) -- i think
March 25, 2015 10:47AM
Do you have access to the firmware?
The stock firmware?
April 29, 2015 04:05AM
Hey guys, I just finally after some tinkering and been sent dodgy linear bearings, have just been trying to setup the bed and now after fiddling with the controls (settings z and X and Y axis from the LCD) after about 3 or so minutes the LCD starts to go all garbled. have any of you had any issues similar to this? I was wondering if it could be power supply or something. would any of you have any ideas how to setup the power supply?
Joshy
April 30, 2015 09:04PM
Also not to hijack the thread I was just wondering how to setup the bed size so the printer properly uses the space correctly. the only instructions given by the seller was go to prepare using the LCD controls and hit auto home. from what I have found it has nothing to do with the proper calibration of the bed. it comes up with a Mendel is ready, is that part of Marlin? I am wondering if I should try and flash it with the updated Marlin so to get better configurable abilities from the offline /SD printing side of things. please any help would be greatly appreciated.
Joshy
May 03, 2015 07:25AM
so how i gather they use a bigger bed on 20 make 270 as a standard i3 is 200 x 200 x200

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
May 07, 2015 04:26AM
If i was to go into the code to adjust the print size to use the bed more. like when you send a print to the centre it will use the centre of the bed. I am just lost with steps etc. using the correct perimeters etc, like how far to the printing area from the park/home spots. if that makes any sense. damn I hate text, so hard to ask and make sure we both understand the question. :-)
thanks for the advice so far. I have had some great success but still not happy with the print bed setup. when printing bigger stuff it tries to print off the bed.
Joshy
June 20, 2015 11:00AM
Same problem here. Got the printer with the v1.3 board and I can not get my computer to recognize it.

How did you guys get your computer to recognize the device?
June 20, 2015 11:28AM
Rob37w
Same problem here. Got the printer with the v1.3 board and I can not get my computer to recognize it.

How did you guys get your computer to recognize the device?

I have one too but haven't used it yet. Wasn't aware that this might be a problem. Maybe the board is USB 3.0 and you're trying to plug it into a 2.0 port?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2015 03:47PM by krwynn.
June 20, 2015 11:33AM
Don't have a 3.0 port on my computer. Maybe that is the problem. I'm able to print with the SD card but

Have a Robo3D with Ramps 1.4 and have had 0 problems with it.
June 20, 2015 12:56PM
I'm done dealing with this. Prints great if i use a SD card but i cant get it to communicate with my printer.

I'm going to return it or sell it for what i paid. If anyone wants to buy it let me know.

Fully assembled and has the upgraded lead screws. $299
June 20, 2015 07:11PM
Rob37w
I'm done dealing with this. Prints great if i use a SD card but i cant get it to communicate with my printer.

I'm going to return it or sell it for what i paid. If anyone wants to buy it let me know.

Fully assembled and has the upgraded lead screws. $299

When you plug in into your computer does it try to install drivers and fail? I tried to get mine up and working and finally figured out how to make it work.
June 20, 2015 08:08PM
Yep. Fails every time I try and hook it up. Even when I try and manually instal the driver it says Its not the correct driver.

It's makeing me crazy.

Tried it on 3 machines. Windows XP, windows 7 and windows 8.1.
June 20, 2015 10:51PM
This is what I had to do:

Go here and download the exe file from the top row right side and install for windows 7. VCP Drivers
Unplug anything connected into a USB port
run the exe file
Reboot

Plug in your MKS Gen 1.3

Will probably try to do the driver thing again but it doesnt matter.

Open up control panel -> device driver
Under Ports you'll probably see either FTDI or FT232R with the fail symbol beside it

right click it and choose update driver software
choose browse my computer
choose let me pick from list
you should see the 2 drivers that were installed when you ran the exe file from above.
Pick the FTDI first and install it. Nothining will really change. Do that process again and pick the second one from that list and install it.
After that the fail symbol went away. Write down the COM # that it assigns

Open Arduino and under tools select port and choose the COM #
Open whatever Marlin file you normally use with ramps. I use the newest version. Upload the same way you do for ramps. Mine loaded normally and I verified that in Pronterface

Good luck.

Rob37w
Yep. Fails every time I try and hook it up. Even when I try and manually instal the driver it says Its not the correct driver.

It's makeing me crazy.

Tried it on 3 machines. Windows XP, windows 7 and windows 8.1.
June 21, 2015 01:33PM
Thanks. I'm getting closer. Here is where i am at.

It now reconizes the device but ardrunio won't upload to it. See attached two pictures.

Also my 3D printing software says "port is in use by another program".

I have changed the port from COM 4 to COM 5 and COM 10. Same thing.

Thanks so much for the help. Really THANKS!!!
Attachments:
open | download - Pic 1.jpg (85.6 KB)
open | download - Pic 2.jpg (108.3 KB)
June 21, 2015 01:50PM
How can I get this to work with Windows 8? It will not recognize it no matter what I try.
June 21, 2015 02:38PM
Awesome. Have a look at this. I think it may help. Adafruit

Rob37w
Thanks. I'm getting closer. Here is where i am at.

It now reconizes the device but ardrunio won't upload to it. See attached two pictures.

Also my 3D printing software says "port is in use by another program".

I have changed the port from COM 4 to COM 5 and COM 10. Same thing.

Thanks so much for the help. Really THANKS!!!
June 21, 2015 04:45PM
veaceonee
How can I get this to work with Windows 8? It will not recognize it no matter what I try.

Nothing is working for me either.

So I am not showing hidden devices. and assigned it a COM that nothing is using. Still nothing.

Should i switch the board in Arduino to something other that Mega 2560? Is there a MKS board i need to install to Arduino's board list?
Attachments:
open | download - pic 3.jpg (90.2 KB)
June 21, 2015 08:36PM
Rob37w
veaceonee

Nothing is working for me either.

So I am not showing hidden devices. and assigned it a COM that nothing is using. Still nothing.

Should i switch the board in Arduino to something other that Mega 2560? Is there a MKS board i need to install to Arduino's board list?

No. Your setup up looks ok. The thing with an MKS board is that it emulates both the Arduino and the RAMP 1.4.

Only thing I know at this point to try is a different USB cord. Maybe a different USB port. Arduino forums are worthless. Ive been google searching but have to get ready to go out of town. Good luck. Sounds like you are really close.
June 24, 2015 12:03PM
hi jerry have same problem could you try send me your firmware?
thanks
my email roberto.rossetti@kereonsolutions.com
June 25, 2015 06:55PM
veaceonee
To install unsigned drivers in Windows 8, you have to disable driver signing enforcement. Here is a link showing how with pictures. Disable Driver Signing Enforcement
June 25, 2015 08:47PM
He has the firmware attached to his last post!

ziobeto
hi jerry have same problem could you try send me your firmware?
thanks
my email [email protected]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login