Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to mount the table´s smooth rails?

Posted by o_lampe 
How to mount the table´s smooth rails?
May 05, 2015 09:37AM
Yippieh,
I just got my Sintron Prusa i3 and started to build it.

I don´t have a build instruction, so I have to figure out a few things:

1. How do I push the table smooth rods into the corner blocks? Snap-in from the top or push it in sideways?

2. Do you grind the M5 threaded rods flat to fit the stepper-coupling?

I sure have more question, when I got further into the built. Is there a general build manual for the Prusa i3 available? ( No "how-to" Videos please )

Thanks
Olaf
Re: How to mount the table´s smooth rails?
May 05, 2015 11:54AM
1) Apply a little grease or oil to the smooth rod ends and fit them gently into the corner blocks trying to avoid breaking the plastic.

2) No. Just tighten the two grub screws properly. Remember to leave a 4mm or more gap between the stepper shaft and the M5 threaded rod inside the coupler. Make the gap identical on both sides.
May 06, 2015 03:20AM
Thanks Andrew,
I´m still unsure, if I can snap the rods in or have to push them in?

Pushing them in is difficult, because of the coarse layers. The rod will constantly try to press the layers apart. ( my rods have sharp edges. Don´t have a grinder at hand to taper the edges)

Snapping the rod in is also risky, because of the huge stretch.

Anyone succesfully snapped the rods in?
Olaf
May 06, 2015 04:17AM
The problem with snapping the rods in the corner pieces is that the top of the pieces can delaminate. You don't have to grind the rod ends, a simple €3 metal file does a perfect job:

1. Lay the metal file flat on a horizontal surface.
2. Bevel the rods ends by rubbing them against the file. Usually a couple of passes is enough to get a nice 45 degrees 1mm bevel.

It takes about 2 minutes per rod end, so you should be finished in < 10 minutes.

Remember to grease/oil the beveled rods ends before inserting them in the corner pieces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 04:18AM by AndrewBCN.
May 06, 2015 10:43AM
Ok Andrew, you convinced to jump in the cold water and it worked fine...
Ofcourse I forgot to put the 3 LM8UU bearings, before I shove the rods in all blocks, but the second time it was much easier. thumbs up

Thanks again
Olaf
PS: Andrew, just read your wiki comparison of the a4988 vs. drv8825. Well done, but I´d like to send you a comment about it.
May 06, 2015 11:40AM
o_lampe
Ok Andrew, you convinced to jump in the cold water and it worked fine...
Ofcourse I forgot to put the 3 LM8UU bearings, before I shove the rods in all blocks, but the second time it was much easier. thumbs up

Thanks again
Olaf
PS: Andrew, just read your wiki comparison of the a4988 vs. drv8825. Well done, but I´d like to send you a comment about it.

Olaf, your comments are welcome but please note that there is a discussion tab in every page of the wiki, for exactly that reason. grinning smiley Like that you can share your comments with everybody else.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login