Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Migbot Prusa i3 Unofficial Support Thread

Posted by jcabrer 
Re: Migbot Prusa i3 Unofficial Support Thread
July 10, 2015 10:45PM
Update to my Migbot. Linear bearings started to make noise. Lightly coated rods with lithium base white grease. No more noise. Extrusion parts soften. Replaced with an all metal upgrade. Fan on extruder needs to be replaced. Replacing bed leveling probe since it is made of plastic and can't tighten the screws without changing the settings. Still haven't replaced the warped right axis holder. Replaced the power supply since the one received with the printer was bad. Heat bed connector burned up. Replaced with extruder 1 connector. Tined the bare wires and that should help. I tighten them often but I didn't think of soldering the ends like I should of. Getting too old. Been a learning experience.
July 11, 2015 03:50PM
So, I finally have everything moving, tested and leveled, but my extrude stepper is not moving? I removed the extrude stepper and plugged it into the X axis plug, and it works fine there. Am I missing something in my configuration? DO I need to activate the extrude stepper somehow?

Josh
July 11, 2015 03:55PM
jbehan
So, I finally have everything moving, tested and leveled, but my extrude stepper is not moving? I removed the extrude stepper and plugged it into the X axis plug, and it works fine there. Am I missing something in my configuration? DO I need to activate the extrude stepper somehow?

Josh

There is a safeguard in the firmware that won't allow the extrude stepper to work unless the nozzle is up to temp. I think by default it it 170. This is just for making sure you are not jamming filament into a cold nozzle. Heat your nozzle past 170 and it should work
July 11, 2015 03:59PM
gatorNic
jbehan

Josh

There is a safeguard in the firmware that won't allow the extrude stepper to work unless the nozzle is up to temp. I think by default it it 170. This is just for making sure you are not jamming filament into a cold nozzle. Heat your nozzle past 170 and it should work

Oops, figured it was something simple, thanks. I'm trying to get the auto bed leveling to work, can you point me in the direction of a decent how to?
July 11, 2015 04:10PM
jbehan
FYI, no more Migbot! They closed up shop and took there customer support with them.
Here is the response from 3dprintersonlinestore;

"We understand that only for the customers we are here. Unfortunately Migbot shutdown the factory due to high competition and big loss.
Only they are responsible for after sales support."

Steve Nelson
Sales Consultant
3D Printers Online Retail Store
[www.3dprintersonlinestore.com]
-----Original Message-----

Whatever that means!

I figured as much when I noticed there were no Migbot printers visible on their website.
July 11, 2015 10:07PM
So, I just read all 12 pages of this support thread and my head is spinning. What the heck is PID auto tune? And do I need to do it?
July 11, 2015 10:27PM
PID auto tune is a routine that can be called using special g-code commands. Its purpose is to set the values that control heater on/off behavior.

You only need it if you find that your temperatures are not steady, over or undershoot, or just want to fiddle with something that aint broke.
July 12, 2015 01:55PM
i'm definitely interested in the repetier firmware. i scanned their online config tool just to see the layout and i like the features it has. its a little intense and although i could configure some of the settings going by my marlin configuration.h file, a lot of it is over my head at the moment. maybe someone with a migbot can come up with a general configuration.h file for repetier firmware. i thought about using the config tool and trying it out but i'm afraid i'll crash and burn my printer...lol.

on another note, i thought i'd mention i just installed a capacitive proximity sensor so it could sense the aluminum through my glass bed. it has an adjuster for 1-10mm sensing distance. i made a custom mount for it and so far its working great. no more aluminum tape on the bed. the tradeoff is that this thing is a monster, at least twice as big as the old sensor and 3 times as heavy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2015 02:02PM by rejaak.
July 13, 2015 01:07PM
rejaak
i'm definitely interested in the repetier firmware. i scanned their online config tool just to see the layout and i like the features it has. its a little intense and although i could configure some of the settings going by my marlin configuration.h file, a lot of it is over my head at the moment. maybe someone with a migbot can come up with a general configuration.h file for repetier firmware. i thought about using the config tool and trying it out but i'm afraid i'll crash and burn my printer...lol.

on another note, i thought i'd mention i just installed a capacitive proximity sensor so it could sense the aluminum through my glass bed. it has an adjuster for 1-10mm sensing distance. i made a custom mount for it and so far its working great. no more aluminum tape on the bed. the tradeoff is that this thing is a monster, at least twice as big as the old sensor and 3 times as heavy.

Do you have a link to the sensor you fitted. If it enables us to use a glass plate instead of the useless ally one they sent me, the positives outweigh the negatives.
July 13, 2015 09:38PM
Please rejaak, send to us the link that will be very kind.
July 14, 2015 12:42PM
jbehan
FYI, no more Migbot! They closed up shop and took there customer support with them.
Here is the response from 3dprintersonlinestore;

"We understand that only for the customers we are here. Unfortunately Migbot shutdown the factory due to high competition and big loss.
Only they are responsible for after sales support."

Steve Nelson
Sales Consultant
3D Printers Online Retail Store
[www.3dprintersonlinestore.com]
-----Original Message-----

Whatever that means!

That means 3D printers Online will not help with any printer problems, as if they ever did. We are our only support now.
July 14, 2015 12:50PM
veaceonee

That means 3D printers Online will not help with any printer problems, as if they ever did. We are our only support now.

I think that is pretty much the chance you take when you buy a $300 machine. Surprisingly I got pretty decent support from them, atleast 3dprintersonline responded quickly. Leo was ok, it took a second email to him sometimes, but he usually responded. I am at least glad I got my new board before migbot folded up shop.

But yeah its pretty much a self built reprap now, get support from each other and the rest of the forum.
July 14, 2015 02:52PM
the sensor i bought is: Amico LJC18A3-H-Z/BX 1-10mm Capacitance Proximity Sensor Switch NPN NO DC 6-36V 300mA. i got it on amazon.com. when i made the mount, i wasn't paying attention and i tred a very large print the other day that used most of the bed. when it started, the probe mount crashed slightly into the right side of the printer frame. i'll have to revise my mount or i'm thinking of setting up a bowden extruder and then mounting the probe on the carriage (out of the way). also i'm posting my corner bracket file here for gatornic if he decides to go that route.
Attachments:
open | download - heatbedframev9abs.zip (15.2 KB)
July 14, 2015 03:03PM
With the company shutting down the only thing I could see as an issue going forward would be the Motherboard (and maybe the LCD?) as the motors, switches, etc are all commonly purchased items correct?

Is there another MoBo that would be compatible with the firmware we have?
July 14, 2015 03:34PM
The Motherboard is an MKS BASE V1.3... so I would assume that something like this v1.4 should work too. And yes, all the parts should be readily available too.
[www.aliexpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2015 03:35PM by 3DST.
July 14, 2015 03:38PM
3DST
The Motherboard is an MKS BASE V1.3... so I would assume that something like this v1.4 should work too. And yes, all the parts should be readily available too.
[www.aliexpress.com]

That one is a MKS 1.3 as well, its a 1.4 Ramps. I don't think they have MKS 1.4. Anyway I think if I were going to get another board I would go with separate drivers for the steppers instead of the integrated ones. I mean if even one stepper driver goes you're kinda screwed. Obviously firmware may not work, but it just Marlin so would be pretty easy to port settings over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2015 03:38PM by gatorNic.
July 14, 2015 03:38PM
Any 3D printer controller will work. If you want to switch, there are the following: RAMPS 1.4, RUMBA, SANGUINOLOLU, MELZI, AZTEEG X3 (favorite), and many others. These all run the same firmware (Marlin, Repetier, Sprinter, etc).

Some use screw terminals instead of connectors.
July 14, 2015 05:55PM
CAlleman
With the company shutting down the only thing I could see as an issue going forward would be the Motherboard (and maybe the LCD?) as the motors, switches, etc are all commonly purchased items correct?

Is there another MoBo that would be compatible with the firmware we have?

Migbot didn't use anything "proprietary" in there setup. All parts are readily available and easy to get.

However, it has been my experience with electronic boards that once it works, it will work forever under 2 conditions.
Condition 1 - Control the heat of the chips. I have a 90mm fan pointed at my board, and have tiny heatsinks to put on the stepper drivers.
Condition 2 - Don't f- with it. Once you get the trim pots dialed in LEAVE IT ALONE. The more you f- with the board the more of a chance of releasing the magic smoke.
July 15, 2015 10:30AM
Has anyone found an aluminum extruder mount for this thing? I know it was mentioned very early in this forum (first page) but haven't seen anything on it since. I see there is one on flea-bay for $27 but that seems a bit high for what it is.
Also, I was looking at this...any thoughts?

[www.ebay.com]

JB.
July 15, 2015 12:39PM
Hello

I loaded my sd card that came with my Migbot, with the gcode of a part i want to print. When I insert the sd card in the printer it says "sd card loaded", but when i try to access the sd card it says no sd card on the lcd menu.

What could be the problem?
July 15, 2015 12:43PM
JeandreCoetzer
Hello

I loaded my sd card that came with my Migbot, with the gcode of a part i want to print. When I insert the sd card in the printer it says "sd card loaded", but when i try to access the sd card it says no sd card on the lcd menu.

Have you tried removing it and putting it back in a time or two? Make sure its fully inserted as well.

I had this issue when I first got mine but the more I used the SD slot the less I had this issue and its gone away completely it would seem now
July 15, 2015 12:44PM
JeandreCoetzer
Hello

Have had it happen before, I usually just reinsert it and its fine. I have also noticed the microsd adapter they send is crap. My reader on my PC has trouble recognizing it sometimes, as soon as I go to another card its fine. So if the reinsert doesn't work I would highly suggest a new card.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2015 12:44PM by gatorNic.
July 15, 2015 12:46PM
The SD Card that came with the Migbot always gave us trouble. We currently use generic PNY and Sandisk SD cards and have not any any more trouble.
July 15, 2015 12:46PM
jbehan
Has anyone found an aluminum extruder mount for this thing? I know it was mentioned very early in this forum (first page) but haven't seen anything on it since. I see there is one on flea-bay for $27 but that seems a bit high for what it is.

[www.ebay.com]

JB.

Too expensive for my blood. Is it really going to improve anything? As long as your fan is working, there shouldn't be a heat issue. I just printed out replacement parts incase the ones I have bust.
July 15, 2015 07:49PM
jbehan

[www.ebay.com]

JB.

Mine came with a metal bracket that everything attaches to. Works well.
July 15, 2015 11:09PM
July 16, 2015 08:27AM
How is the sound/vibration from the acrylic frame?
July 16, 2015 03:16PM
RRuser
How is the sound/vibration from the acrylic frame?

I feel like mine isn't that bad or atleast it seems acceptable to me compared to others. However, I did put cork spacers and rubber washers on all steppers except the extruder and I also used some of the left over cork to put underneath the feet of the printer. So in theory that should help with dampaning.
July 16, 2015 03:35PM
Well I finally went and got a borosilicate glass bed. The aluminum one is just too uneven. Didn't matter even with autolevel. Wasn't bad if I had a small part at the center of the bed, but as soon as I went multiple or large pieces it was noticeable. Figured the glass would be better for ABS anyway
July 18, 2015 03:44PM
an't get the print to the center of the bed. Always goes to the left front no matter what coordinates I change.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login