Advanced

Migbot Prusa i3 Unofficial Support Thread

Posted by jcabrer 
Re: Migbot Prusa i3 Unofficial Support Thread
January 23, 2016 12:21AM
Wes78
AccidentalWisdom
Wes78
I would try replacing the thermistor first.

In cura. Are you able to connect? If so dose it register a temperature for the hotend? It should be something other then 0. You'll lest see what Ambient temperature is.

Just a thought

Cura won't connect and ambient temp reads at 0 degrees on the LCD. I already ordered a replacement 2 days ago, just in case, but it still hasn't shipped. So I am literally at a standstill, then? That sucks. My own fault for delaying on proper wire management. I would love to print out one of those nice chainlink style wire systems but I sort of need the printer to work, first, haha.

I have a hunch that a new thermostat will fix your problem.

Yeah, I think so, too, and the part is slightly different in that the wires come out the opposite side, so that they will be together with the motor wire for easier management. Have to wait until Tuesday, now, I guess.
January 23, 2016 01:23AM
I'm trying to familiarize myself with the printer firmware, since I need to edit the Z Axis travel lines once I find out the proper values for the new Acme rods (just waiting for some help on my previous post on that). I have Arduino IDE 1.6.7. how can I access the firmware that is already on my Migbot Prusa i3 in order to edit it? Is that even possible? Or can I only get a copy of the firmware online and then use the IDE to overwrite whatever is already on my printer?
January 23, 2016 07:08AM
AccidentalWisdom
I'm trying to familiarize myself with the printer firmware, since I need to edit the Z Axis travel lines once I find out the proper values for the new Acme rods (just waiting for some help on my previous post on that). I have Arduino IDE 1.6.7. how can I access the firmware that is already on my Migbot Prusa i3 in order to edit it? Is that even possible? Or can I only get a copy of the firmware online and then use the IDE to overwrite whatever is already on my printer?

other then using EEPROM (i dont EEPROM myself, i just re-flash any changes that i make ) i dont think there is a way to change the FW thats on the board now, you will need to re-flash it with the new settings,
Did you flash the Fw when you got the printer?

The Fw can be found here [github.com]
you will need to use this to figure the right number to enter into the FW for Z [prusaprinters.org]

do you have a link to the ones you got?

Edit:
Totally missed that post. Thank Ax

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 07:20AM by Wes78.
Ax
January 23, 2016 07:10AM
AccidentalWisdom
Thanks, Ax, I will look into this, but I wonder if your Acme rods have the same pitch as mine? Maybe I should calculate mine, just in case. I was able to track down the exact leadscrews I got - T8 L300mm 8mm Lead 4 Start Lead Screw and Nut. Here is the information:

Material: 304 stainless steel
Diameter: 8mm
Length: 300mm
Pitch: 2mm
Lead of thread: 8mm

So I am trying to calculate the value on the Prusa Calculator, but I am not sure what to select on the entries in red. Can someone help with this?

Motor Stepper Angle: ?
Driver Microstepping: ?
Leadscrew Pitch: 2mm
Pitch Preset: (is this just a drop-down I can use instead of manually typing in the Pitch in the Leadscrew Pitch box?)
Gear Ratio: ?

Angle is 1.8, the board microsteps to 1/16, Leadscrew pitch is 8mm (which is the same as mine), they're M8 rods (same as mine), and it's a 1:1 gear ratio, which should be 400 steps/mm, which is what mine is set at.
Ax
January 23, 2016 07:13AM
Wes78
AccidentalWisdom

other then using EPOM (i dont EPOM myself, i just re-flash any changes that i make ) i dont think there is a way to change the FW thats on the board now, you will need to re-flash it with the new settings,
Did you flash the Fw when you got the printer?

The Fw can be found here [github.com]
you will need to use this to figure the right number to enter into the FW for Z [prusaprinters.org]

do you have a link to the ones you got?

Migbots don't have EEPROM enabled in the firmware, well at least mine don't, should really enable it as it would save me time reflashing the firmware when the Z offset goes screwy, but aye, it's reflash with Arduino IDE. As for the leadscrew steps, done that above winking smiley
January 23, 2016 07:19AM
Yeah I knew EEPROM wasn't enabled. I gave thought to enabling it tho. But reflashing for me only takes like 2 mins.
January 23, 2016 07:25AM
HELP!!

I have had my Migbot for a while now and after many months of tweaking and modifying I have slowly been working it out and getting to grips with it.
The problem I have is that while I have the larger bed I have never been able to use this whole area. My printer seems to have only come with firmware for the smaller bed installed. In the beginning I had a real hard time getting it to connect to my PC but eventually worked it out. Since I have moved on from there I have not had the printer connected for some time as have been printing from the SD card. Having put it off due to the fact that I have really no idea what I am doing I decided to try and update to the larger bed firmware. The first problem arose when I could no longer connect the printer via USB. Again it was just not recognized. After what seemed like forever I managed to install the drivers and it seemed to be connecting. Although it connects in Repetier I cannot manually control the printer, nothing moves at all. In Cura when I tried to print via USB and even though it was again recognized it would not connect to the COM port and I would just get a 'closed' error when trying to open the serial port after pressing 'print with USB'
After I gave up with this I decided to try and update the firmware. Having no idea where to start I trolled the internet on how to perform this and finally got the guts up to give it a go. This is where my woes continue. I can load the firmware into Arduino and adjust the settings for my printer but when I try to load I just get a timeout error. After trying this multiple times I have given up and now ask for help.
Can anyone help explain as to why I cannot fully connect my printer even though it used to work properly. I assume this may also be why I cannot update the firmware.
This printer has now been working well after multiple upgrades and has been giving me some great prints. I really hope someone here can help with my connection problems.
Ax
January 23, 2016 08:03AM
Wes78
Yeah I knew EEPROM wasn't enabled. I gave thought to enabling it tho. But reflashing for me only takes like 2 mins.

Yeah, when you have 3 going powered by a Raspberry Pi, it's a pain to be switching cables. I did have it on the Pi, but it's painfully slow. I print with these commercially, so any time saved is money gained, hence thinking enabling EEPROM is a good idea.

IBaz
HELP!!

I have had my Migbot for a while now and after many months of tweaking and modifying I have slowly been working it out and getting to grips with it.
The problem I have is that while I have the larger bed I have never been able to use this whole area. My printer seems to have only come with firmware for the smaller bed installed. In the beginning I had a real hard time getting it to connect to my PC but eventually worked it out. Since I have moved on from there I have not had the printer connected for some time as have been printing from the SD card. Having put it off due to the fact that I have really no idea what I am doing I decided to try and update to the larger bed firmware. The first problem arose when I could no longer connect the printer via USB. Again it was just not recognized. After what seemed like forever I managed to install the drivers and it seemed to be connecting. Although it connects in Repetier I cannot manually control the printer, nothing moves at all. In Cura when I tried to print via USB and even though it was again recognized it would not connect to the COM port and I would just get a 'closed' error when trying to open the serial port after pressing 'print with USB'
After I gave up with this I decided to try and update the firmware. Having no idea where to start I trolled the internet on how to perform this and finally got the guts up to give it a go. This is where my woes continue. I can load the firmware into Arduino and adjust the settings for my printer but when I try to load I just get a timeout error. After trying this multiple times I have given up and now ask for help.
Can anyone help explain as to why I cannot fully connect my printer even though it used to work properly. I assume this may also be why I cannot update the firmware.
This printer has now been working well after multiple upgrades and has been giving me some great prints. I really hope someone here can help with my connection problems.

Are you running Windows? If so, check device manager and see if there's any unrecognised devices. If so, it may be worth updating the driver from here. Also check the baud rate, it should be 115200.
January 23, 2016 08:18AM
Ax
AccidentalWisdom
Thanks, Ax, I will look into this, but I wonder if your Acme rods have the same pitch as mine? Maybe I should calculate mine, just in case. I was able to track down the exact leadscrews I got - T8 L300mm 8mm Lead 4 Start Lead Screw and Nut. Here is the information:

So I am trying to calculate the value on the Prusa Calculator, but I am not sure what to select on the entries in red. Can someone help with this?

Pitch Preset: (is this just a drop-down I can use instead of manually typing in the Pitch in the Leadscrew Pitch box?)

Angle is 1.8, the board microsteps to 1/16, Leadscrew pitch is 8mm (which is the same as mine), they're M8 rods (same as mine), and it's a 1:1 gear ratio, which should be 400 steps/mm, which is what mine is set at.

Thanks Ax, and thanks to you, too, Wes78! I will try this once I get the Hot Bed replacement in to remove the Err: MINTEMP message.

I found the TEMP controls in the firmware copy from Github last night and considered reducing the MINTEMP from 5 to 0 and reflashing to see if I could trick the printer into letting me bypass the error for now. Would this work/be safe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 08:19AM by AccidentalWisdom.
Ax
January 23, 2016 08:32AM
AccidentalWisdom
Ax
AccidentalWisdom

Thanks Ax, and thanks to you, too, Wes78! I will try this once I get the Hot Bed replacement in to remove the Err: MINTEMP message.

I found the TEMP controls in the firmware copy from Github last night and considered reducing the MINTEMP from 5 to 0 and reflashing to see if I could trick the printer into letting me bypass the error for now. Would this work/be safe?

No. if you're getting this, your thermistor is banjaxed or there's a break in the thermistor wiring. You can cause serious damage if this isn't set.
January 23, 2016 08:36AM

No. if you're getting this, your thermistor is banjaxed or there's a break in the thermistor wiring. You can cause serious damage if this isn't set.[/quote]

Yes, one of the thermistor's wires was pulled out in a test print because I haven't done the full wire management yet. Ok, I will refrain from doing that, I figured it was a bad idea and decided to stop and ask an adult, haha.
January 23, 2016 09:55AM
Ax
AccidentalWisdom

Is this the line I need to change in firmware? The 398.269957 needs to change to 400? Could that small difference really have an impact on the Z Axis (this is assuming that the firmware already already flashed on my machine by Migbot also is set at 398.269957)?

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,398.269957,94.4962144}
Ax
January 23, 2016 04:08PM
AccidentalWisdom
Ax
AccidentalWisdom

Is this the line I need to change in firmware? The 398.269957 needs to change to 400? Could that small difference really have an impact on the Z Axis (this is assuming that the firmware already already flashed on my machine by Migbot also is set at 398.269957)?

Yup, that's the one. Start at 400, print a test cube of known height, ie knowing what height it should be, then the formula to tweak it is as follows:

printed height of cube ÷ expected height of cube x current steps

Example:

9.85÷10x398.269957

The above would give your Z Axis Steps at 392.295907645, rinse and repeat until it's right. Callipers are must with this process..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 04:11PM by Ax.
January 24, 2016 01:47AM
Ax
AccidentalWisdom
Ax
AccidentalWisdom

Yup, that's the one. Start at 400, print a test cube of known height, ie knowing what height it should be, then the formula to tweak it is as follows:

printed height of cube ÷ expected height of cube x current steps

Example:

9.85÷10x398.269957

The above would give your Z Axis Steps at 392.295907645, rinse and repeat until it's right. Callipers are must with this process..

Thank you, Ax, I will look into this for certain! On a whim, I went through the menus on the LCD screen. I wound up in Control → Motion and found this:

XSteps/mm: 80.00
YSteps/mm: 80.00
ZSteps/mm: 2560.00
ESteps/mm: 91.50

I'm assuming that this Conrol menu is basically displaying the applicable lines from the firmware on the machine, and that the above values correspond directly to the #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,398.269957,94.4962144}[/quote] line we talked about. How on earth is it preset to 2560.00? Does that mean that the pitch on the original rods was just much much smaller? If so, this seems to prove my supposition exactly true - that the reason I was having such nice initial layers and such atrocious subsequent layers is because of that rod switchout

EDIT: All the edits were me removing things I figured out on my own and also an update on the Err: MINTEMP issue I had, but decided to go back to my post on that subject and update that one - it is fixed!

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2016 10:40AM by AccidentalWisdom.
January 24, 2016 11:26AM
Trying to flash new firmware onto my Migbot with some needed changes. Hoping someone can help me.

Using Arduino IDE, with instructions by Gary McKinney (https://github.com/garynmckinney/3DPrinter/tree/master/printer%20firmware).

I followed his instructions completely, and am now trying to upload the firmware to the board. In his instructions, he says that on the board I should see one solid blue LED and two rapidly blinking blue LEDs. Instead, I see no solid LED, and the two LEDs that are blinking are far from rapid - there are 10 seconds between each blink. It's been running for about 8 minutes now and I am assuming it will never complete.

In addition, his instructions say that if followed I should see no errors, but the following is displayed in the console:

sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:2658:36: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and identifier [-Wliteral-suffix]

LCD_MESSAGEPGM(MACHINE_NAME" "MSG_OFF".");

^

sketch\temperature.cpp:565:46: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifdef directive [enabled by default]

#ifdef THERMAL_RUNAWAY_PROTECTION_PERIOD && THERMAL_RUNAWAY_PROTECTION_PERIOD > 0

^

sketch\ultralcd.cpp: In function 'void _lcd_babystep(int, const char*)':

sketch\ultralcd.cpp:406:59: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]

if (lcdDrawUpdate) lcd_implementation_drawedit(msg, "");

^

Sketch uses 98,834 bytes (38%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 4,259 bytes (51%) of dynamic memory, leaving 3,933 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): failed miserably to execute command 0x13
avrdude: stk500v2_paged_write: write command failed
avrd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2016 11:26AM by AccidentalWisdom.
Ax
January 24, 2016 11:46AM
AccidentalWisdom
Trying to flash new firmware onto my Migbot with some needed changes. Hoping someone can help me.

Using Arduino IDE, with instructions by Gary McKinney (https://github.com/garynmckinney/3DPrinter/tree/master/printer%20firmware).

I followed his instructions completely, and am now trying to upload the firmware to the board. In his instructions, he says that on the board I should see one solid blue LED and two rapidly blinking blue LEDs. Instead, I see no solid LED, and the two LEDs that are blinking are far from rapid - there are 10 seconds between each blink. It's been running for about 8 minutes now and I am assuming it will never complete.

In addition, his instructions say that if followed I should see no errors, but the following is displayed in the console:

sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:2658:36: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and identifier [-Wliteral-suffix]

^

sketch\temperature.cpp:565:46: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifdef directive [enabled by default]

#ifdef THERMAL_RUNAWAY_PROTECTION_PERIOD && THERMAL_RUNAWAY_PROTECTION_PERIOD > 0

^

sketch\ultralcd.cpp:406:59: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]

^

Sketch uses 98,834 bytes (38%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 4,259 bytes (51%) of dynamic memory, leaving 3,933 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
avrd

A) There's errors in the firmware, cool smiley there's a communication timout.

This is my base version of the firmware (large bed with auto leveling) [www.dropbox.com]

You'll need to PID tune, but everything else should be fine
January 24, 2016 12:28PM
Ax
AccidentalWisdom

^

^

^

avrd

This is my base version of the firmware (large bed with auto leveling) [www.dropbox.com]

In my last attempt to upload the firmware, I aborted after about 20 minutes of nothing but those timeouts. Now, when connected, the LCD just shows two lines of solid blocks all the way across the screen. In addition, the single blue LED light below the red push button now blinks in a :::1-2-pause-1-2-pause::: pattern. Completely at a loss for what to do.

I grabbed yours and tried to run with that - just changed the X/Y/Z bed sizes and disabled Auto-leveling by commenting out the //#define ENABLE_AUTO_BED_LEVELING line. However, when I try to verify the script I get the same errors at the top as before, and when uploading I get a new error at the bottom saying: "avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail." I assume this error is a result of the mess up from the previous upload attempt I aborted, so now my board basically has no firmware on it? What do I do?

Below is the full information from the Arduino console:

^

^

^

Sketch uses 98,956 bytes (38%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 4,263 bytes (52%) of dynamic memory, leaving 3,929 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
Ax
January 24, 2016 12:35PM
AccidentalWisdom
Ax
AccidentalWisdom

^

^

^

avrd

In my last attempt to upload the firmware, I aborted after about 20 minutes of nothing but those timeouts. Now, when connected, the LCD just shows two lines of solid blocks all the way across the screen. In addition, the single blue LED light below the red push button now blinks in a :::1-2-pause-1-2-pause::: pattern. Completely at a loss for what to do.

I grabbed yours and tried to run with that - just changed the X/Y/Z bed sizes and disabled Auto-leveling by commenting out the //#define ENABLE_AUTO_BED_LEVELING line. However, when I try to verify the script I get the same errors at the top as before, and when uploading I get a new error at the bottom saying: "avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail." I assume this error is a result of the mess up from the previous upload attempt I aborted, so now my board basically has no firmware on it? What do I do?

Below is the full information from the Arduino console:

^

^

^

Sketch uses 98,956 bytes (38%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 4,263 bytes (52%) of dynamic memory, leaving 3,929 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail

Just out of curiosity, do you have the printer still connected to any other software?
January 24, 2016 12:41PM

Ax

Just out of curiosity, do you have the printer still connected to any other software?[\quote]

I may have been connected to Cura when I tried the first time, not sure. But not when I tried uploading yours, everything else was off. Even without anything connected to the printer the LCD shows nothing but solid blocks and the LED constantly blinks in the 1-2-pause pattern.
Ax
January 24, 2016 12:45PM
Ok, if you give me an hour or so, I'll be at a computer. I'll drop you a PM..
January 24, 2016 01:05PM
I'd like that, but I have to head out to a party. Will be home in about 6 hours, 7pm EDT. Maybe then or a bit after?
Ax
January 24, 2016 01:45PM
AccidentalWisdom
I'd like that, but I have to head out to a party. Will be home in about 6 hours, 7pm EDT. Maybe then or a bit after?
See your PMs smiling smiley
January 24, 2016 08:44PM
Combined weight of my base plate, and 14" long build table is appx 3.2 pounds. The base IIRC is 1.1 pounds and the table is 2.1 pounds

I have my print and travels etc all down to 30. SO things run SLOW.. and I thought I had 2 skips on a 18 hour print at 0.1mm layers from the weight. So I put them under the mill, and shaved 1.3 pounds off to get them to the current weight above.

Today my wife told me that we had 2 power outage events overnight. The printer is not on the ups it appears, but the pc is. Interestingly enough, the motors stopped, but the controller stayed online, pulling power through the USB.

The job is re-printing now, and the machine seems a LOT less labored with the extra pound removed. I will do speed tests in the next few days, between other projects.
January 24, 2016 09:52PM
If I did my math right the 17HD40005-22B stepper motor (whats on mine) has a holding torque of around 50oz,With running that much weight i would really consider jumping up a motor size, like maybe a 64oz or maybe push it with a 72oz motor,
Tho Ill admit Im not 100% sure what the stepper drive is rated at On the Mks base v1.4 , as Ive found lil info on it,I think it will put out 2amps but thats not continuous im sure

With my 3mm alum upgrade i had problems with skips, tho i am printing fast then you. ive kicked up the drive a bit and put a 80mm fan on the Mks thus far no skips
Ax
January 25, 2016 07:27PM
Got 2 of the 3 Ally carriages in today. had to mill the holes for the bearings a little to fit the wider rails but a rough guess is that this only weighs a hair more than the acrylic, if not about equal, so much more rigid and hardly any vibration from fast infill. Printing at 50-60mm/s and it's perfectly fine, if anything the 2 with have become more accurate. Unless your plate weighs a metric fookton the stock steppers should be fine I believe they're something along the lines of 36 N-cm of torque. Which can drive most 3D printer stuff, one of mine does have a 40 N-cm (http://e3d-online.com/Electrical/Stepper-Motors/NEMA17-40Ncm) on the extruder due to losing a connection on the plug. I'll prob be using those for the CoreXY build I'm planning.
January 25, 2016 07:36PM
IBaz
HELP!!

Are you running Windows? If so, check device manager and see if there's any unrecognised devices. If so, it may be worth updating the driver from here. Also check the baud rate, it should be 115200.[/quote]

Yes I'm running Windows 7
I have tried all the above and the printer is recognized in device manager. As stated it connects through Repetier and Cura but just wont talk to the PC so I cannot actually do anything. I have tried two different computers and have the same problem. I don't know what else to try. I just hope it's something I have overlooked as it used to work just fine in the past.
Ax
January 25, 2016 07:40PM
IBaz
IBaz
HELP!!

Are you running Windows? If so, check device manager and see if there's any unrecognised devices. If so, it may be worth updating the driver from here. Also check the baud rate, it should be 115200.

Yes I'm running Windows 7
I have tried all the above and the printer is recognized in device manager. As stated it connects through Repetier and Cura but just wont talk to the PC so I cannot actually do anything. I have tried two different computers and have the same problem. I don't know what else to try. I just hope it's something I have overlooked as it used to work just fine in the past.[/quote]

Tried a different USB Cable? Are there any errors in Repetier? Will it print from SD?
January 25, 2016 07:47PM
Ax
Got 2 of the 3 Ally carriages in today. had to mill the holes for the bearings a little to fit the wider rails but a rough guess is that this only weighs a hair more than the acrylic, if not about equal, so much more rigid and hardly any vibration from fast infill. Printing at 50-60mm/s and it's perfectly fine, if anything the 2 with have become more accurate. Unless your plate weighs a metric fookton the stock steppers should be fine I believe they're something along the lines of 36 N-cm of torque. Which can drive most 3D printer stuff, one of mine does have a 40 N-cm (http://e3d-online.com/Electrical/Stepper-Motors/NEMA17-40Ncm) on the extruder due to losing a connection on the plug. I'll prob be using those for the CoreXY build I'm planning.

If I remember correctly I'll have to go back and look at your post about the aluminum plate you Got. Your plate had a lot more holes cut in it than mine, mine is basically a solid aluminum plate in exception to a couple of small triangles cut in towards the center of it. I really wish I took the opportunity to weigh it when I had it off to see exactly what it weighs. I've had around 60 to 70 hours on this printer before I change the aluminum plates and not had it skip not even once, I change the aluminum plate I had skipped repeatedly on different prints one would have to conclude the extra weight from the aluminum is what caused it to skip,

36N-cm is equal to 50.9803 ounces, the [e3d-online.com], is equal to 56.6oz
of holding torque

But in all reality it doesn't come down to how much it weighs, its really about the amount of inertia that has to be slow down stop and then start again almost instantly in some moves, even adding a couple ounces to that could greatly increase the strain on the motor, small fast movements is where my skips came about, I think one could really probably slow down the acceleration rate to compensate for heavy or plate which to is also something that I have done and has helped

i have not had any skips in the last 38 hours of printing
Ax
January 25, 2016 07:59PM
N-cm is the stepper torque, ie the strength of the motor. 36-40 newton centimetres is usually about average for 3D printer steppers, unless you have a large hunk of metal it's trying to drag around. I'd suggest taking yours to a metalshop and asking them to take a few more holes out to lighten it up. May end uo quicker and cheaper tgan buying a larger stepper with more torque.
January 25, 2016 08:11PM
Fortunately for me I am a machinist and can do that but however it is easier and less time consuming for me (Bed leveling isn't one of my favorite things to do) if I just spend ten dollars on another motor,

Like somehting like this for example, its $8.00 us (63.7ozin(45N-cm)
[www.ebay.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login