Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How can I get the x axis smooth rods parallel to the bed plane ?

Posted by tolisn 
How can I get the x axis smooth rods parallel to the bed plane ?
May 20, 2015 01:41PM
Hi there fellow reprapers. This is my first 3d printer build and I'm taking it slowly in order to get as much correctly as I can.
I'm in the phase of building the frame of my prusa i3. The frame is an Achatz edition. The frame has 8mm threaded rods and I figured that I should use locknuts all around in order to prevent loose nuts in the future. Maybe this was an overkill but I used them anyway.
Now I'm in the part of installing the x axis parts and I see that the smooth rods of the x axis are not parallel to the bed plane.
I have not installed the hot bed yet so the bed only consists of the acrylic plate installed on the linear bearings.
So the question is, how can I get the x axis smooth rods parallel to the bed plane?

The road is long but we are getting there.
Re: How can I get the x axis smooth rods parallel to the bed plane ?
May 21, 2015 02:30AM
On the back of the Achatz frame are slots for the M8 rods as well as in the middle of the frame.
Put the y-carrier on a flat surface, and align the frame. The tighten the screws that hold frame and y-carrier together.
Locknuts were a bad idea in that place....better use a drop of hotglue after final assembly.

I disassembled my frame a few times in the first week, because I printed some upgrade parts that required disassembly.

Te groeten
-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 02:31AM by o_lampe.
May 21, 2015 02:51AM
Hi and thanks for the reply.
So you think that the y-axis carrier is not aligned correctly and that is why the y-axis bed plane is not parallel with the x-axis smooth rods?

What modifications/upgrades did you do to your printer ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 02:52AM by tolisn.

The road is long but we are getting there.
May 21, 2015 08:02AM
tolisn
Hi and thanks for the reply.
So you think that the y-axis carrier is not aligned correctly and that is why the y-axis bed plane is not parallel with the x-axis smooth rods?

What modifications/upgrades did you do to your printer ?

Nothing is aligned properly on my kit. Everytime I fastened one part, something else got out of line. All three axes have to be recangular to each other. I had to print dozends of testcubes before it was OK.

I added belt tensioners and replaced the three LM8UU- bushings for the table with better ones.
-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login