Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)

Posted by Dan_FolgerTech 
Re: Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)
July 25, 2015 08:19AM
[email protected]
I received a "professional ceramic alignment tool" AKA a non conductive screwdriver for adjusting my steppers. Is this not shipped with the kits normally to avoid shorting the steppers?

Yes it is.. but from reading the threads its the Multimeter probes that usually end up shorting the drivers out.. I think instead of placing the ground probe on the board itself .. I will find somewhere more safer that is connected to the ground..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 08:20AM by mike3.
July 25, 2015 09:47AM
My Z-axis bearings fall out! Thinking of pushing them up out of the way inside the holders and then running a little hot glue around the opening so they do not slide out. Any thoughts anyone?
July 25, 2015 10:02AM
mike3
[email protected]
I received a "professional ceramic alignment tool" AKA a non conductive screwdriver for adjusting my steppers. Is this not shipped with the kits normally to avoid shorting the steppers?

Yes it is.. but from reading the threads its the Multimeter probes that usually end up shorting the drivers out.. I think instead of placing the ground probe on the board itself .. I will find somewhere more safer that is connected to the ground..

I am sure this isn't recommended but after reading all the people blowing boards I didn't adjust any of them but my X motor was getting pretty hot so to adjust that one with everything powered down I turned the pot on the driver slightly, did a print, adjusted it more, and did another print. Now the motor is cool and I am not having any issues with skipping steps so I don't think I went too far.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
July 25, 2015 10:08AM
animoose
40, 40, 90% for the first three and 150 for travel speed. I have tried cranking it up quite a way from these without hurting quality in most cases.

I used 40, 40, 90% for a few things now and I think the printer is actually quieter at this speed. I have been leaving travel set to 60 because it's quieter and hardly changes the print time.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
July 25, 2015 10:44AM
therippa

At least I know that some day if I become the father to a very fussy baby, I'll be prepared, because I went through the experience of building a 3d printer.

I am the father of a very fussy baby and there is no comparison. smiling smiley You will run to the printer for relief from the kid no matter how difficult the printer is. haha
July 25, 2015 10:46AM
[email protected]
My Z-axis bearings fall out! Thinking of pushing them up out of the way inside the holders and then running a little hot glue around the opening so they do not slide out. Any thoughts anyone?

I put a little dab of epoxy on each end of the openings for mine. Works fine as a little stop. Hot glue might be ok but the higher heat rising up off the head bed when printing ABS or whatever might remelt it.
July 25, 2015 11:15AM
Are the little black threaded thing the 2020 L bracket set screws? I just got the kit in the mail and I have started to build it.
July 25, 2015 11:20AM
zarnold16
Are the little black threaded thing the 2020 L bracket set screws? I just got the kit in the mail and I have started to build it.

For the L-brackets yes wished I figured that one out sooner!!
July 25, 2015 11:26AM
[email protected]
zarnold16

For the L-brackets yes wished I figured that one out sooner!!
Okay thanks i was looking all over the internet to see if they where. I was wondering why they were there.
July 25, 2015 11:28AM
Am at the bending ramps board pins back and fixing solder. Some reason bent pins always make me mad. Ok have that done now I ended up using only two mounting points due to the fact that you use uninstalled metal screws straight onto the printed circuit board I have no washers here to safe guard it so two it is. Once I bent components out of the way I put the steppers on and the last one sits on top of the edge of the one before it but I see no traces hitting so pressing onward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 11:47AM by jasonsaffle13@gmail.com.
July 25, 2015 11:47AM
My M3 screws are 25mm not 20 mm, is that a problem? Nevermind my bag has 31, 25mm bolts extra. Im actually missing all 7 of my M3 8mm bolts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 11:53AM by zarnold16.
July 25, 2015 12:01PM
zarnold16
My M3 screws are 25mm not 20 mm, is that a problem? Nevermind my bag has 31, 25mm bolts extra. Im actually missing all 7 of my M3 8mm bolts.

We have a store near by called Harbor freight they have a pre-filled collection of hardware/screws for $20 I found it a life save for M4 and M3 of diffrent lengths!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 12:13PM by jasonsaffle13@gmail.com.
July 25, 2015 02:20PM
installed Arduino and uploaded to the Arduino board successfully .. I am able to home X,Y and Z but the manual says X,Y should home in the back right corner,, but My printer homes in the front right corner is this correct? I moved the X stop to the left and set X home to max as recommended by others....all I need to do now is to set the end stops and level the bed...
sk8
July 25, 2015 03:12PM
mike3
installed Arduino and uploaded to the Arduino board successfully .. I am able to home X,Y and Z but the manual says X,Y should home in the back right corner,, but My printer homes in the front right corner is this correct? I moved the X stop to the left and set X home to max as recommended by others....all I need to do now is to set the end stops and level the bed...

Mine homes in the front right corner too, but my x endstop is on the right side.
July 25, 2015 03:28PM
[imgur.com]
[imgur.com]
[imgur.com]
[imgur.com]

On to the cosmetics (which I hate) wrap the wires run them so they look good and out of the way. Then will recheck my Z-height, hook it up and start my calibrations.
July 25, 2015 03:44PM
Some pix of my completed printer... printed a test 40mm x 40mm cube .. bed temp 110 extruder temp 260 using purple Glue stick on the glass. it came out perfect .. and if you wait until the glass cools down it pops right off...Using the Black ABS from Folger Tech.. very happy with printer..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 04:41PM by mike3.
Attachments:
open | download - 3d5.jpg (236 KB)
open | download - 3d.jpg (192.5 KB)
open | download - 3d2.jpg (227.6 KB)
July 25, 2015 06:14PM
How I set my Stepper currents safely.. the usb outer shield is the same ground as on the stepper drivers.. and you can just use usb power ti set the stepper current .. using alligator clips hook the ground test probe to the usb shield and touch carefully the case of the pot on the stepper drivers with your multimeter set to high millivolts or lowest volts on mine that was 2v .. then adjust accordingly to step 52 in the Folger Tech acrylic manual..from what i have read . failure to do so could lead eventually failure of the stepper driver or stepper motor from overheating... after you turn on the power supply the reading may be .001- .003 higher but should be fine..
July 25, 2015 06:50PM
RedneckGeek
[email protected]

I put a little dab of epoxy on each end of the openings for mine. Works fine as a little stop. Hot glue might be ok but the higher heat rising up off the head bed when printing ABS or whatever might remelt it.

I use a piece of paper as a shim like someone mentioned earlier. It works pretty well and it's not as permanent.
July 25, 2015 09:27PM
Chiming in - if anyone hasn't tried the glue stick method with ABS, it works really well. The pieces literally pop off as it cools (and it's loud enough that it startled me). Give it a try!
July 25, 2015 09:46PM
therippa
Chiming in - if anyone hasn't tried the glue stick method with ABS, it works really well. The pieces literally pop off as it cools (and it's loud enough that it startled me). Give it a try!

I haven't been so lucky. The first time I did it I printed a 10mm test cube and it stuck perfect and popped off. A few minutes later I tried to print a part and it wouldn't stick the first layer at all. Just dragged the filament around and made a spaghetti mess until I killed the print.

Whats the secret to repeatable success with the glue?
July 25, 2015 09:54PM
Okay im confused, is there a certain distance for the sk8's? And is there an exact distance for the belt for the heated bed/y carriage?
July 25, 2015 09:58PM
zarnold16
Okay im confused, is there a certain distance for the sk8's? And is there an exact distance for the belt for the heated bed/y carriage?

The relative position of these is set by the position where the bearing mounts and the belt mount attach to the aluminium bed. My suggestion is get them in roughly the right place until you attach the bed, and then fine tune them so that they are the right distance apart and the belt is parallel to the chrome rods. My SK8s ended up 140mm apart (measured center to center of the chrome rods), and the center of the belt is 60mm from the center of the left chrome rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 09:58PM by animoose.

See my blog at [moosteria.blogspot.com].
July 25, 2015 10:06PM
animoose
zarnold16

The relative position of these is set by the position where the bearing mounts and the belt mount attach to the aluminium bed. My suggestion is get them in roughly the right place until you attach the bed, and then fine tune them so that they are the right distance apart and the belt is parallel to the chrome rods. My SK8s ended up 140mm apart (measured center to center of the chrome rods), and the center of the belt is 60mm from the center of the left chrome rod.
I zipped tied the plate already and the plate when moved sounds like the bearing are grinding.
July 25, 2015 10:14PM
Mine too, and someone else early on this thread said the same. Once I had it all hooked up, it was much smoother and quieter than I expected. This is what mine sounded like at first [www.youtube.com]. Maybe worse than it comes across on the video. Now it's quiet except on long slow moves.

See my blog at [moosteria.blogspot.com].
July 25, 2015 10:31PM
RedneckGeek
therippa

I haven't been so lucky. The first time I did it I printed a 10mm test cube and it stuck perfect and popped off. A few minutes later I tried to print a part and it wouldn't stick the first layer at all. Just dragged the filament around and made a spaghetti mess until I killed the print.

Are you cleaning it off between prints,, it is a water soluble glue.. I remove my glass plate and wash it and dry and reapply it or sometimes I just apply it over the old glue.. after a while you can tell how you need to apply it..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 10:34PM by mike3.
July 26, 2015 12:37AM
I need help again. Ive been trying to asssemble the front pulley assembly for like 30 mins because the darn washers keep falling through the hole of the brackets. Any help for this step?
July 26, 2015 02:53AM
RedneckGeek
therippa

I just put a thin layer on the glass and have done four prints on it so far with no problem or reapplying.
July 26, 2015 08:00AM
zarnold16
I need help again. Ive been trying to asssemble the front pulley assembly for like 30 mins because the darn washers keep falling through the hole of the brackets. Any help for this step?

I had to go buy larger washers.. the ones they supply are too small
July 26, 2015 10:34AM
Hey everyone, I just finished assembling my i3 2020 and I am having an issue controlling it. I am new to this so I;m not sure exactly what to do. When connecting to Reptier, I can heat the bed and extruder, but I can't get any of the motors to move. I have homed everything and still no luck. It looks like the commands are sent and received, but there is no response from the printer. I have followed everything in the guides that Folgertech provides, but I feel like there are steps missing or something. My endstops all light up if I click them in manually, and I have even tried replacing the stepper driveres to no avail. Can someone please help a new guy out and point me in the right direction? Thanks!

I have also flashed the RAMPS test code and I get flashing lights ont he RAMPS board but again, no movement of the printer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2015 10:36AM by nmh5028.
July 26, 2015 10:44AM
So you "homed everything" manually by pushing the extruder to the stops? They didn't move when pressed the home button?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login