Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)

Posted by Dan_FolgerTech 
Re: Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)
July 30, 2015 03:29PM
therippa
markts
therippa
Well, I got my new E3D V6 Bowden setup up and running today, and just printed a test cube. I can't believe how much better the print quality is compared to the stock hotend. The difference is like using sidewalk chalk vs a fine tip mechanical pencil.

I'm going to ask a dumb question here. What did you buy for this, vs what did you print? How much work was it to convert?

I reused the motor from the Folgertech extruder for the Bowden setup. I bought the E3D and various screws, bearings, and hobbed gears (they mostly detailed in the instructions on the bowden extruder's thingiverse page). It wasn't that hard to do, I'd say the hardest part was getting everything calibrated well enough that I felt I could print the parts and have them fit, since there are some tight tolerances. Once everything was printed and I had all the necessary hardware, I'd say it took about two hours to put it all together.

Yeah, I would think if I got it printing well enough to print those parts, I wouldn't need to switch! lol. Did you pick up the various parts (PTFE, gears, etc) separately, or does someone package all that stuff?
July 30, 2015 04:23PM
markts
therippa
markts
therippa
Well, I got my new E3D V6 Bowden setup up and running today, and just printed a test cube. I can't believe how much better the print quality is compared to the stock hotend. The difference is like using sidewalk chalk vs a fine tip mechanical pencil.

I'm going to ask a dumb question here. What did you buy for this, vs what did you print? How much work was it to convert?

I reused the motor from the Folgertech extruder for the Bowden setup. I bought the E3D and various screws, bearings, and hobbed gears (they mostly detailed in the instructions on the bowden extruder's thingiverse page). It wasn't that hard to do, I'd say the hardest part was getting everything calibrated well enough that I felt I could print the parts and have them fit, since there are some tight tolerances. Once everything was printed and I had all the necessary hardware, I'd say it took about two hours to put it all together.

Yeah, I would think if I got it printing well enough to print those parts, I wouldn't need to switch! lol. Did you pick up the various parts (PTFE, gears, etc) separately, or does someone package all that stuff?

Everything I needed I got from this guy on ebay (and he ships fast) - [www.ebay.com]
July 30, 2015 06:28PM
Hey all, can someone spare a quick moment to check something for me? I've experienced countless problems with the electronics, and want to make sure i'm triple checking everything before powering on this time. If someone is willing to do a quick check- How many ohms of resistance do you measure through the extruder heater coil with the printer off? Mine is extremely low, almost as if it's shorted. Could be how the heater is constructed though, not too sure in that regard.
July 30, 2015 06:35PM
A 40 watt heater at 12v will about 3.6 ohms, 25 watt is 5.8 ohms, and a 100 watt heat bed around 1.6 ohms . . . so yes, they are quite low.

- Tim
July 30, 2015 08:44PM
therippa
[email protected]
So the things I learned tonight:
That odd problem with my x-carriage was due to the fact when I was looking for the firmware I ASSUMED the copy on the google drive link was the current tuned one WRONG I grabbed the copy that therippa linked on the github moved my end stop back to the right flipped my extruder back and tried the "tuned" version. Well first thing is my X would not move again then I remembered I did not flip the wires back around so for some insane reason I went into the firmware and changed the X direction instead of moving the wires. And now my X-home works!!!!!! Maybe it's a good thing though I'm learning my way around the firmware instead of flipping wires it's safer!!!

My bed takes FOREVER to heat I thought I saw a suggestion to slide cardboard between the aluminum plate and the heater. Is that safe? By the way my bed keeps climbing and stops at 130 I have it set for 100 in repetier maybe another dive into the firmware is in order.

Also I have some strings when printing most noticeable when it it printing open holes. Maybe 220 is to hot for ABS?

I turned my stepper drivers down even lower tonight cooler and still no skipping. Also notice my lower X-carriage rod slides a little side to side since my endstop is on this rod I can not see this being a good thing though I have not seen X-home change..

For the X carriage issue, I would recommend changing the X direction in the firmware back to what it was, moving your X-endstop connection on the RAMP board one set of pins over (the folger manual has you hooking it up to X-min for some reason), and in Repetier printer settings -> behavior -> dimension setting your Home X to max. That is how everything should really be configured without any hacks.

Bed heating - my setup takes about 10 minutes to get to 100 degrees. What do you have on top of your heatbed?

220 is probably too cold for ABS, I think most people hover around 230.

OMG MY X-CARRIAGE BEHAVES!!!! It now does the same bounce when I tell it to go home just like my Y and Z!!! I found my X-stepper motor was a little loose so added a lock washer and that did the trick. Now playing around with Reptier a little more I need to adjust my Y off set and change my X travel limit from 190 up to 200. I printed a simple LCD mount but do not like it now I have it. I am looking into printing a X belt tension-er to replace the stationary pulley.

I am still having trouble with my extruder leaving strings behind I bumped my temp up to 230. I suspect the strings may be due to an untuned extruder. I need to messure and adjust to see if I am getting 100 out when I request 100. And I hate how long the bed takes to heat 10 minute sfeels like forever need to get over that I guess. I want to print well enough to print the Delta printer parts I have the rails! And I am looking at a smoothie board.
July 30, 2015 11:15PM
Hi everyone my printer is working now with the new Ramps and Arduino. I have a question about my printer during the prints. In the video I attached, should my printer be that loud when printing, as in when my x axis moves. Also, How can I get rid of the ripples on the single side that is parallel with the x-axis.

[drive.google.com] (Video and Pics of First Print)
July 30, 2015 11:15PM
Have any of you calibrated your folgertech using the thin wall test (e.g., [www.thingiverse.com])? If so how well did it come out and may I see pictures?

Thanks,
July 30, 2015 11:30PM
samaral
Have any of you calibrated your folgertech using the thin wall test (e.g., [www.thingiverse.com])? If so how well did it come out and may I see pictures?

Thanks,

Early attempts: [goo.gl]. This was before I had done much calibration and tuning of parameters in Silc3r. A later attempt while I was still working out some first layer issues [goo.gl]. Here's a related test from the Makezine test set [goo.gl].

See my blog at [moosteria.blogspot.com].
July 30, 2015 11:49PM
mel0n
[email protected]
therippa

Pictures (and if you would STL files for the mount, bowden setup etc.). Would like to replace my hotend with a better one. Have heard of short life and other issues with the stock one. wish to as someone put it "walk away" from those problems.

I have said this like 5x already, but glad your seeing the same results as me. I stayed direct drive as Bowden has too many disadvantages over direct and not enough pros to make it worth the switch. I am interested to see a pic of your printer with the Bowden setup. Their direct drive version of the v6 comes with a short Bowden tube that extends up the direct drive extruder all the way to the gear/tensioner. So its like a super short Bowden and keeps the filament completely straight the whole way into the hotend. So since it has the coupling, I could just buy a bowden tube and switch between bowden/direct as I please. Same for the bowden version.

Though the only reason I can find to switch to bowden is to take weight off of the x-carriage, which if I am going to be honest, with this design [www.thingiverse.com] I am having no weight related issues/artifacts. The weight distribution seems perfect in the design and way it rides on the rods. The stock hotend had terrible weight distribution and it was all hanging horizontally. This stacks everything vertically, and gets the extruder motor much closer to the x rods. I will post a pic of my printer in its current form later today to compare with your bowden setup.

(Oh, and since the weight distribution is so much better, my x-axis motor barely has to work at all and barely heats a few degrees above ambient temps. With the stock extruder setup it was unbelievably hot at the lowest current I could run it at without skipping)

Yeah, I figured I'd give the bowden setup a try to see how it worked. I'm also planning on printing a direct drive mount similar to yours (actually, I might just use yours) and see how that works as well. I love tinkering with this thing, the last five months were spent building quadcopters, so this is a nice change, plus I can use it even when the weather is crappy.

Funny part now is my prints are damn near flawless, but calibration cubes print with one shitty corner every time. I think it might be an X-axis tension problem, so I'm printing a tensioner now (and surprise surprise, the corners on THAT are coming out just fine)

Need help? Visit the Folgertech Wikia Page

The latest Marlin firmware with Folgertech Prusa i3 settings merged in, get it here

And check out my designs on Thingiverse, and follow me if you like what you see!
July 30, 2015 11:57PM
zarnold16
Hi everyone my printer is working now with the new Ramps and Arduino. I have a question about my printer during the prints. In the video I attached, should my printer be that loud when printing, as in when my x axis moves. Also, How can I get rid of the ripples on the single side that is parallel with the x-axis.

What are you using for material and what settings in the slicer?

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
July 31, 2015 06:22AM
How do I adjust the Y offset? I am printing about 30 mm to far back. Do I change it in the firmware or in Reptier?
July 31, 2015 09:13AM
msaeger
zarnold16

I'm Printing PLA at 220c. heated bed 70c
July 31, 2015 09:17AM
zarnold16
msaeger
zarnold16

I had read 180-190 for PLA and alot of people do not heat the bed for PLA (I have heard not tried).

Check your X-carriage bearsings are seated and check that it's level (the z rods) I also rubbed some dry graphite and now mine is NICE!!
July 31, 2015 09:53AM
zarnold16

Sounds high for PLA, what brand are you using? I'd try running at 190c and adjust from there.
July 31, 2015 10:11AM
zarnold16

Great glad to hear its working now.. try lowering your temp and see how that works and make sure the bed is as level as you can get it.. worked for me...
July 31, 2015 11:37AM
animoose
samaral

Thanks,

Early attempts: [goo.gl]. This was before I had done much calibration and tuning of parameters in Silc3r. A later attempt while I was still working out some first layer issues [goo.gl]. Here's a related test from the Makezine test set [goo.gl].

@animoose: Thanks for the pictures. Your later attempt came out very nice. I also noticed you don't have any oozing (e.g., even the Makezine has some oozing in the center front frace) from the hot end. May I ask what parameters you are using for your slic3r extruder (e.g., [manual.slic3r.org]). Or are you doing something else to combat this?

Thanks,
July 31, 2015 02:44PM
mike3
zarnold16

Great glad to hear its working now.. try lowering your temp and see how that works and make sure the bed is as level as you can get it.. worked for me...
Is that the reason my x-axis is so loud? Also my x-axis stepper motor is running hot. To fix that on the stepper driver turn the pot to the left, correct?
July 31, 2015 02:49PM
zarnold16
mike3
zarnold16

Is that the reason my x-axis is so loud? Also my x-axis stepper motor is running hot. To fix that on the stepper driver turn the pot to the left, correct?

With the printer unplugged and USB unplugged try half turn counter clockwise
July 31, 2015 03:45PM
therippa
RedneckGeek
therippa
Mach
What has to be changed to the up-to-date marlin version in order to make it work with this printer. when I transfer the config.h setting and the pins.h settings from the version that FT provided to a newer version, the printer does not function properly. Could someone post a link to a newer version that works with the printer, or maybe attach a newer version that is known to work. Thanks.

Latest Marlin with Folgertech settings merged in: [www.github.com]

I downloaded this version and loaded it on my printer and the bed won't heat beyond 87C. Weird. I put the old one back on and I can get to 101 again no problem.

Trying going through the PID autotune with your bed?

Yep. Works fine for the extruder but times out when trying to tune the bed. Using M303 E-1 C3 S100
July 31, 2015 04:50PM
RedneckGeek
therippa
RedneckGeek
therippa
Mach
What has to be changed to the up-to-date marlin version in order to make it work with this printer. when I transfer the config.h setting and the pins.h settings from the version that FT provided to a newer version, the printer does not function properly. Could someone post a link to a newer version that works with the printer, or maybe attach a newer version that is known to work. Thanks.

Latest Marlin with Folgertech settings merged in: [www.github.com]

I downloaded this version and loaded it on my printer and the bed won't heat beyond 87C. Weird. I put the old one back on and I can get to 101 again no problem.

Trying going through the PID autotune with your bed?

Yep. Works fine for the extruder but times out when trying to tune the bed. Using M303 E-1 C3 S100

Yeah, mine times out as well when trying to go for 100, try S60 instead. I also found (as many others have) that putting a piece of cardboard on top of the bed helps it heat faster.
July 31, 2015 05:37PM
When performing an autotune on the bed you should first heat it to ~5 degrees lower than your usual setpoint. That way it will already be close and won't time out.

You should always autotune at approximately the temperature you plan on using for best accuracy. If you are in an enclosure, you should let the enclosure also reach a relatively stable temperature so that the autotune is exposed to the same conditions a print would experience.
July 31, 2015 09:47PM
samaral
animoose
samaral

Thanks,

@animoose: Thanks for the pictures. Your later attempt came out very nice. I also noticed you don't have any oozing (e.g., even the Makezine has some oozing in the center front frace) from the hot end. May I ask what parameters you are using for your slic3r extruder (e.g., [manual.slic3r.org]). Or are you doing something else to combat this?

Thanks,

Roughly this: 0.2mm layers, 115% first layer height, 40mm/s speed, 30% speed on first layer; the filament is PLA from JET at 185C on a 60C heated bed. Of course there are many more setting than this, these are just the most important. I do tend to get a bit of ooze from the nozzle which shows up as hairs or spider webs when doing travel moves as in this picture: [goo.gl]. I wrote up more about the tests here [moosteria.blogspot.com].

July 31, 2015 10:01PM
[email protected]
zarnold16
mike3
zarnold16

With the printer unplugged and USB unplugged try half turn counter clockwise

I'm having issues with the x-axis making the same sounds. Lowering the voltage just made the motor not report back its location to the RAMPS board. Also, if you're turning it a half turn, wouldn't direction not matter?
August 01, 2015 04:17AM
Well, I solved a bunch of my issues tonight by splurging on Simplify3D. My calibration cubes no longer have the bad corner, my x-axis motor is somehow quieter, I no longer have sagging bridges, printed x and y dimensions are uniform down to the first decimal place, and my print time estimates are way more accurate. I really wish there was a trial version of the software for people to try, I imagine it would boost their sales quite a bit. Pics to follow after I'm done dialing things in...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 04:19AM by therippa.
August 01, 2015 08:58AM
I still can't get the Extruder to heat.. I contacted Folger Tech about this Issue, I had the printer all setup and Printing nicely for several days... then the Extruder just stopped heating and the Bed heat just keeps rising no matter where it's set to.. but like I said I contacted Folger Tech a week ago and they answered with some questions and so far they haven't been any help .. and then they just stopped answering .. I have only had the printer for about 2 weeks I am trying to have patients.. but a product is only as good as customer service...
What I have done.... tested the heating element on a separate power supply.. it works.. tested the thermistor its OK.. I have all functions .. like homing and manual control of X,Y,Z everything is wired correctly... I like the design and construction of the printer.. the printer isn't the problem it's the after the sale support..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 08:58AM by mike3.
August 01, 2015 12:04PM
therippa
Well, I solved a bunch of my issues tonight by splurging on Simplify3D. My calibration cubes no longer have the bad corner, my x-axis motor is somehow quieter, I no longer have sagging bridges, printed x and y dimensions are uniform down to the first decimal place, and my print time estimates are way more accurate. I really wish there was a trial version of the software for people to try, I imagine it would boost their sales quite a bit. Pics to follow after I'm done dialing things in...

Haha, we're going to sound like ads... I ended up buying Simplify3D as well (mostly for the custom supports!!) and have been having great prints on this machine. I was using Cura/Repetier Host on my Makibox and it was fine, but for some reason I can't get good prints on the Folger Tech... most likely it's just setup issues but the all in one of S3D is very nice and it works.

Sigil Pickups || Stunt Monkey Pedals
August 01, 2015 12:56PM
CheopisIV
therippa

Haha, we're going to sound like ads... I ended up buying Simplify3D as well (mostly for the custom supports!!) and have been having great prints on this machine. I was using Cura/Repetier Host on my Makibox and it was fine, but for some reason I can't get good prints on the Folger Tech... most likely it's just setup issues but the all in one of S3D is very nice and it works.

Feel like a lemming here. On the bubble but may pull the trigger on simplify myself tonight.
August 01, 2015 06:09PM
I'm about to start rebuilding the X/Z axes using wderoxas's parts ( [www.thingiverse.com] and [www.thingiverse.com], with one small change). If you don't hear me say any more about this, it means it all went wrong and I took up a different hobby, like knitting brightly colored socks for small dogs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 09:39PM by animoose.

August 02, 2015 03:51AM
animoose
I'm about to start rebuilding the X/Z axes using wderoxas's parts ( [www.thingiverse.com] and [www.thingiverse.com], with one small change). If you don't hear me say any more about this, it means it all went wrong and I took up a different hobby, like knitting brightly colored socks for small dogs.

The motor standoffs are awesome! I'm waiting on some 8mm screws and other parts from Folger Tech before I tear down the X/Z axis again but I have those parts (with one small mod) and a dual E3D assembly printed and ready to go! I may join you in the knitting if my own venture goes south... dibs on the red wool.

Sigil Pickups || Stunt Monkey Pedals
August 02, 2015 08:01AM
CheopisIV
animoose

The motor standoffs are awesome! I'm waiting on some 8mm screws and other parts from Folger Tech before I tear down the X/Z axis again but I have those parts (with one small mod) and a dual E3D assembly printed and ready to go! I may join you in the knitting if my own venture goes south... dibs on the red wool.
What is the thingiverse link for the dual extruder?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login