Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)

Posted by Dan_FolgerTech 
Re: Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)
September 09, 2015 12:48PM
Ok X axis issue resolved.

Ok if your like me and put the printer together by the book, then your probably going to have and issue with your x axis moving just a little and in the wrong direction. Im a noobie to all this and it took me awhile to figure all this out and a lot of reading. Hopefully this will save some people some time.

HOW I GOT THE X AXIS WORKING THE RIGHT WAY.

1. With no power plugged into the board swap your x axis motor wire around from what folgers shows in there build. Have the red wire facing towards the usb cable just like the others (Z and Y) are.
2. open up your marlin ini file in arduino. Click on the "Configuration.h file"
3. Scroll down to where is says "Mechanical Settings"
4. Then scroll down a little farther until you find "End Stop Setting"
5. Where is says
#define X_HOME_DIR 1

put a - in front of the 1 so it looks like this.

#define X_HOME_DIR -1

6. close out the arduino box and it will ask you to save your settings and Thats just what you should do.
7. Now reopen the ini file in your marlin folder and click on the arrow up top pointing to the right to upload the firmware you just changed into the board. after its down close down the arduino box.
8. Unplug the usb again and make sure your x axis reset switch wire is plugged in the last set of prongs on the board (this should be already like that as its the way folgers shows you in there manual).
9. in repetier make sure in printer settings the x is set to max and y and z are set to min.

Now give it a shot! If this helps anyone we should make it a sticky or something. Seems like alot of people are having this problem which really should be corrected by folger tech in the first place.
September 09, 2015 04:47PM
Has anybody tried using an active cooling fan on the folger 2020 i3? I didn't see any designs for one on Thingiverse, except the ones that divert air from the extruder fan. I don't want to switch that off when printing ABS, and don't want the fan blowing on the ABS.

Is active cooling of much benefit? If you're just using the diverter fan, how is it affecting your ABS prints? I had no luck at all printing ABS with the diverter fan in place.

I've considered designing an mount for an active cooling fan, but don't want to bother if there isn't much real benefit.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Wiki

Custom google search for the Folger Tech 2020 i3 forum topic by Animoose

My Thingiverse Designs
September 09, 2015 04:57PM
Davewerld
Is anyone else seeing issues with the crimp connections in the harnesses? I had one wire in the endstop harness that was crimped onto an unstripped wire, how it occassionally made contact is a mystery to me.
Dave

I just posted a page or two back about the same issue. I didn't have a lot of bad connectors, probably because I cut most of the harnesses to the appropriate length, and crimped on new connectors and ends while I was building it. The left Z motor, though, was about the right length already, so I didn't do anything to it. It had exactly the issue you describe, with the insulation crimped to the pin. Only reason it ever worked, was the pin was just touching the end of the wire when I had pressed it on tight. Once I printed a bit, it loosened up started making an intermittent connection. I cut it off and crimped on new ends, and it was fine after, but you shouldn't have to worry about something like that.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Wiki

Custom google search for the Folger Tech 2020 i3 forum topic by Animoose

My Thingiverse Designs
September 09, 2015 05:53PM
[url=http://Prusa i3 Build Tutorial : Part 11 - Calibrating the X ...]calibration[/url]

Ok another noobie question. I've got the kit all together and all my axis's home. What should be my next step? I know nothing about 3d printing. Should I calibrate my machine next? If so how do I go about that?

Should I used the link above?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2015 06:18PM by woodknack.
September 09, 2015 06:56PM
woodknack
[url=http://Prusa i3 Build Tutorial : Part 11 - Calibrating the X ...]calibration[/url]

Ok another noobie question. I've got the kit all together and all my axis's home. What should be my next step? I know nothing about 3d printing. Should I calibrate my machine next? If so how do I go about that?

Should I used the link above?[/quote]

If all of your axis home correctly, and you have all of your steppers at the right steps/mm in marlin (remember to set your extruder's steps/mm), I would say the next step would be to level you bed, and then re-adjust the Z endstop. After that, I would say to conduct a small test print to make sure that all of your setting in marlin and rep-host are correct for printing, and to give you a idea of how you will need to adjust your temps. Also, make sure you calibrate you stepper motor's steps/mm using the [url=http://www.prusaprinters.org/calculator/#stepspermmbelt]Prusa calculator[/url], and not a "calibration cube". Calibration cubes do not give accurate steps/mm information.
September 09, 2015 07:03PM
^ Is the quote and link feature broken on here for anyone else?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2015 08:01PM by Mach.
September 09, 2015 07:47PM
Mach
^ Is the quote and link feature broken on here for anyone else.....?

Sorry I'm having trouble dropping the link.

[youtu.be]

There you go sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2015 07:48PM by woodknack.
September 09, 2015 08:01PM
woodknack
Mach
^ Is the quote and link feature broken on here for anyone else.....?

Sorry I'm having trouble dropping the link.

[youtu.be]

There you go sorry.

No worries, I had the same problem in my post above smiling smiley
September 09, 2015 08:39PM
Anyone using simplify3d? If so any setup tips?
September 09, 2015 10:48PM
woodknack

I do (and love it). What specific tips do you need?

Here are three off the top of my head

1. (this would work for any slicing program, but the folks at Simplify3d provided it to me). To deal with ooze during hotend heatup, use this gcode:

G1 X0 Y0 Z.35 F900;
G1 X25 Y0 Z.15 E5 F225;
G1 X25 Y25 Z5 F3600;

2. Processes are handy, but even if you save them and the program crashes (which happens frequently enough during slicing, never crashed during printing), they will be lost. Once you have settings you're happy with, make sure to exit/re-open the application, as that's what really saves them.

3. Wonder why your computer displays won't go to sleep after a print (at least on OSX)? If you leave the program connected to your printer, it prevents the computer from going to sleep. Make sure to click the disconnect button after a print.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2015 10:57PM by therippa.
September 09, 2015 11:01PM
What did you use for a profile to set yours up? I see they have a ton of different ones.
September 09, 2015 11:05PM
woodknack
What did you use for a profile to set yours up? I see they have a ton of different ones.

They don't have our printer in their db, so I just put in the measurements 190x190x180, and told it to talk to Marlin at 250000bps.
September 10, 2015 12:01PM
I have been suspect that my extruder is not putting out enough filament to keep up with demand. So I wanted to calibrate it...I was following this guide.

[www.youtube.com]

I used Repetier to run out 100mm of filament I literally got about 30mm only. This seems crazy to me...could it really be off that much!?!?

I also noticed the filament did not run smoothly, it would stop, jump, slowdown, etc. I thought that the stepper motor might be skipping steps so I turned up the current using the pot on the Driver Board. Apparently I either went too far, or bend the pot or something…but the motor just stopped working. I swapped out the driver with another one and it ran, so I’m pretty sure I fried the driver. Unfortunately I only got 4 working ones from Folger so I’ve ordered more.

In the meantime, has anyone else run into this problem, or had the calibration so far off!?!? I’m getting poor prints and I’m sure it’s an Extruder problem. Is it worth simply replacing the Extruder with the MOD7 Extruder!?!?

Thanks,
Sonny
September 10, 2015 01:36PM
sonnylowe
I have been suspect that my extruder is not putting out enough filament to keep up with demand. So I wanted to calibrate it...I was following this guide.

[www.youtube.com]

I used Repetier to run out 100mm of filament I literally got about 30mm only. This seems crazy to me...could it really be off that much!?!?

I also noticed the filament did not run smoothly, it would stop, jump, slowdown, etc. I thought that the stepper motor might be skipping steps so I turned up the current using the pot on the Driver Board. Apparently I either went too far, or bend the pot or something…but the motor just stopped working. I swapped out the driver with another one and it ran, so I’m pretty sure I fried the driver. Unfortunately I only got 4 working ones from Folger so I’ve ordered more.

In the meantime, has anyone else run into this problem, or had the calibration so far off!?!? I’m getting poor prints and I’m sure it’s an Extruder problem. Is it worth simply replacing the Extruder with the MOD7 Extruder!?!?

Thanks,
Sonny

Pull your extruder apart and make sure the set screw is tight on the gear attached to the motor. Some people had them loose.
September 10, 2015 01:54PM
RedneckGeek
sonnylowe

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks,
Sonny

Pull your extruder apart and make sure the set screw is tight on the gear attached to the motor. Some people had them loose.

Wow, that makes since!!! I never thought of checking it....thanks!!! Is it worth grinding a flat on the shaft for the set screw!?!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2015 01:56PM by sonnylowe.
September 10, 2015 03:21PM
sonnylowe
RedneckGeek
sonnylowe

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks,
Sonny

Wow, that makes since!!! I never thought of checking it....thanks!!! Is it worth grinding a flat on the shaft for the set screw!?!?

I don't like grinding stuff (permanent destruction) so I usually just use blue lock tite on that kind of thing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2015 03:21PM by RedneckGeek.
September 10, 2015 06:48PM
RedneckGeek
sonnylowe
RedneckGeek
sonnylowe

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks,
Sonny

I don't like grinding stuff (permanent destruction) so I usually just use blue lock tite on that kind of thing

Good point...on the grinding stuff. The gear was tight, so I ran another check, still half the amount as requested. I pulled the Hot End (while still hot) and ran only filament through the extruder. It was off by about 5mm over a 50mm run. Did the math, made a few changes in the firmware and then did several 100mmm runs that came out right on the money!!! Reinstalled the Hot End and back to 50% or less. I watched the internal gear and it never stopped moving even when the filament did. Also found losts of filament grind in the extruder, so I'm sure the gear is simply grinding it away due to too much restriction. Going to tear the Hot End apart and see if it clogged or restricted!?!?

Thanks for all the advice...it is greatly appreciated.
September 10, 2015 09:25PM
OK, so I finally finished calibrating and attempted my first print. I am using 1.75 ABS. I set the slicer config for i3 ABS but adjust the temps to 230. I loaded a 20x20 calibration file and hit print. The printer moves around like it is printing but does not extrude anything. I am not sure what to do here. I use the manual buttons and turn on the extruder wait for it to come up to temp and manually feed and filament comes out, but I don't think as much is coming out as it is supposed to. The first time I hit the manual 50 and a big wad came out, but I did not measure the length of it. Am I missing something?
September 10, 2015 09:31PM
Also, when you are done printing, should you try to pull the filament back out of the printer?
September 10, 2015 09:41PM
OK so I figured out why the filament is not coming out!!! The extruder motor is running backwards during the print! All the other times it is running normal! I am at a loss as to why it would run normal in manual but backwards during a print!
September 10, 2015 10:31PM
Neverdone
OK so I figured out why the filament is not coming out!!! The extruder motor is running backwards during the print! All the other times it is running normal! I am at a loss as to why it would run normal in manual but backwards during a print!

I'm not sure why but my extruder motor was running backwards as well, I simply flipped the connector on the Ramps and it's working fine, both in manual and print modes.
September 10, 2015 10:50PM
sonnylowe
Neverdone

I'm not sure why but my extruder motor was running backwards as well, I simply flipped the connector on the Ramps and it's working fine, both in manual and print modes.

Ditto. I flipped mine too.
September 11, 2015 05:59AM
That seems very odd. Did yours run the correct direction when running manually? That is the part that confuses me. It runs the correct direction to home and in the manual functions. I figured that if I swapped the connection it would be running backwards for all that.
September 11, 2015 08:33AM
Neverdone
That seems very odd. Did yours run the correct direction when running manually? That is the part that confuses me. It runs the correct direction to home and in the manual functions. I figured that if I swapped the connection it would be running backwards for all that.

I noticed it when I first tried to load the extruder in printrun. I thought it was just printrun( if i hit reverse in print run it feed the filament). so I tried it in repetier and got the same thing. shut everything down and just turned the extruder plug around. fired back up and everything worked as it should. I even printed a few things for the first time ever (3d printing) yesterday before I went to work. I was really surprised how well it printed as I have no idea at all of what I am doing.

I am switching over to simplify3d today. After watching the videos I think it will be easier for my to learn and under stand then trying to run different other programs.
September 11, 2015 09:00AM
therippa
woodknack

1. (this would work for any slicing program, but the folks at Simplify3d provided it to me). To deal with ooze during hotend heatup, use this gcode:

G1 X0 Y0 Z.35 F900;
G1 X25 Y0 Z.15 E5 F225;
G1 X25 Y25 Z5 F3600;

Just setting up my S3D now. Did you put that gcode in s3d somewhere so it works with all your programs? if so can you share the steps on how you did that?
September 11, 2015 10:18AM
sonnylowe
Good point...on the grinding stuff. The gear was tight, so I ran another check, still half the amount as requested. I pulled the Hot End (while still hot) and ran only filament through the extruder. It was off by about 5mm over a 50mm run. Did the math, made a few changes in the firmware and then did several 100mmm runs that came out right on the money!!! Reinstalled the Hot End and back to 50% or less. I watched the internal gear and it never stopped moving even when the filament did. Also found losts of filament grind in the extruder, so I'm sure the gear is simply grinding it away due to too much restriction. Going to tear the Hot End apart and see if it clogged or restricted!?!?

Thanks for all the advice...it is greatly appreciated.

Are you running ABS or PLA?
September 11, 2015 11:47AM
woodknack
therippa
woodknack

G1 X0 Y0 Z.35 F900;
G1 X25 Y0 Z.15 E5 F225;
G1 X25 Y25 Z5 F3600;

Just setting up my S3D now. Did you put that gcode in s3d somewhere so it works with all your programs? if so can you share the steps on how you did that?

Edit Process Settings -> Scripts -> Starting Script. Put it after the G28. It will slowly move the nozzle along one axis, then extrude a little bit in the corner while moving, then move really fast to the center.
September 11, 2015 12:18PM
therippa
woodknack
therippa
woodknack

G1 X0 Y0 Z.35 F900;
G1 X25 Y0 Z.15 E5 F225;
G1 X25 Y25 Z5 F3600;

Edit Process Settings -> Scripts -> Starting Script. Put it after the G28. It will slowly move the nozzle along one axis, then extrude a little bit in the corner while moving, then move really fast to the center.

Thank you! Im printing brackets to mount my lcd on top of the 2020. One thing i did notice and am unsure of how to change is, it seems to be printing it in a mirrored or flipped then the way it show it displayed in the software. I must just need to flip a setting?

EDIT: Think I solved the mirror issue. flip the cordinates in the software now to match my bed the way its homed. But i'll have to try it first to see if that did work.
If Im thinking right our machines home at the top right corner. So that should be 0,0,0 ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2015 02:36AM by woodknack.
September 11, 2015 01:30PM
I have been looking hard at Simplify3D and was just curious if it is worth the $150 price tag. I see alot of nice prints from therippa that I can not do with the oem software or eather I am not using it to the full potential. I have been on s3d site and have been reading and watching videos. It looks very powerful and I am very tempted to make the purchase . I would like some openions from some of you guys who have alot more experiance and knowledge of 3d printing than I do. The mechanical part of this thing I can handle with no problem , the software that makes it all come togeather is what I am lacking in.
September 11, 2015 01:39PM
kn4ud
I have been looking hard at Simplify3D and was just curious if it is worth the $150 price tag. I see alot of nice prints from therippa that I can not do with the oem software or eather I am not using it to the full potential. I have been on s3d site and have been reading and watching videos. It looks very powerful and I am very tempted to make the purchase . I would like some openions from some of you guys who have alot more experiance and knowledge of 3d printing than I do. The mechanical part of this thing I can handle with no problem , the software that makes it all come togeather is what I am lacking in.

im in the same boat. Thats why I decided to take the leap and buy s3d. I didnt want to learn 3 different types of software to print when I know nothing about printing at all! I just took the plunge and I am not regretting it at all. Im having a ball printing and my machine still needs to be better calibrated.

upload pic
img host[/url
screenshot windows 7

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2015 01:55PM by woodknack.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login