Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)

Posted by Dan_FolgerTech 
Re: Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)
September 11, 2015 11:10PM
therippa
...To deal with ooze during hotend heatup, use this gcode:

G1 X0 Y0 Z.35 F900;
G1 X25 Y0 Z.15 E5 F225;
G1 X25 Y25 Z5 F3600;

I like this snippet and have added it to my Slic3r settings. I already had something which drew a L-shape to help clear the ooze, but hadn't thought of raising the print head at the end of it. That seems to help more than just drawing it flat on the bed.

See my blog at [moosteria.blogspot.com].
September 12, 2015 02:31AM
Just got my kit today and I was super excited because I had the whole weekend free to put it together and start working on calibrating and printing.

Unfortunately my kit was missing the whole pack of printed parts, so I'm just sitting here with an aluminum frame and can't do anything until I hear back from Folger (hopefully they can overnight me the pack on Monday, I assume it's super tiny and light).

Happy birthday to me sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2015 02:31AM by ican3dprintstuff.
September 12, 2015 02:47AM
I don't know how they package there stuff!? seems like someones is always missing something. They must hire school kids to package the stuff up for kitting.

If it were me id stock all the stuff in separate bins from start to finish. each bin would tell you how many of that item is needed. start at the first bin and go to the last loading in a cart or another bin. Bring that over to a table where they take that bin and box it as a complete set. How hard is that really? I don't mind a few extra screws, but i got a handful of screws I think were never even called for in the instructions.
September 12, 2015 06:04AM
woodknack
I don't know how they package there stuff!? seems like someones is always missing something. They must hire school kids to package the stuff up for kitting.

If it were me id stock all the stuff in separate bins from start to finish. each bin would tell you how many of that item is needed. start at the first bin and go to the last loading in a cart or another bin. Bring that over to a table where they take that bin and box it as a complete set. How hard is that really? I don't mind a few extra screws, but i got a handful of screws I think were never even called for in the instructions.

Agreed. Fortunately I was only missing zip ties and a hand full of bolts. I work part time at a hobby shop, so I have a stack of bolts and zip ties readily at hand. No harm done, didn't even contact them about it!
September 12, 2015 06:07AM
I did get my first print done last night! I printed a 20x20 block and was drooling on myself the whole time! Simply fascinating! I do need to make some adjustments though, it appears that my belts need to be a little tighter there is some waviness on the sides of the print, also when it printed the top there is some gap between the lines. Otherwise I am ecstatic! Can't wait to print some more stuff! I think the next thing is going to be the LCD mount then on to fun stuff!
September 12, 2015 09:29AM
Neverdone
I did get my first print done last night! I printed a 20x20 block and was drooling on myself the whole time! Simply fascinating! I do need to make some adjustments though, it appears that my belts need to be a little tighter there is some waviness on the sides of the print, also when it printed the top there is some gap between the lines. Otherwise I am ecstatic! Can't wait to print some more stuff! I think the next thing is going to be the LCD mount then on to fun stuff!

are you using the little spring tensioner they give you in the kit for the belt?
September 12, 2015 09:48AM
woodknack
Neverdone

are you using the little spring tensioner they give you in the kit for the belt?

No. I didn't see anywhere on the build guide for where it went.
September 12, 2015 10:33AM
woodknack

im in the same boat. Thats why I decided to take the leap and buy s3d. I didnt want to learn 3 different types of software to print when I know nothing about printing at all! I just took the plunge and I am not regretting it at all. Im having a ball printing and my machine still needs to be better calibrated.

upload pic
img host[/url
screenshot windows 7

That's my first project as well. I hope I have the same success! I should know this weekend. In the instructions, they show that the plug for the X axis (instructions call it Z axis.....) is reversed from the Y and Z plugs. I'm assuming that's because the end stop is on the MAX side and the config.h file now reflects that. Am I right?
September 12, 2015 04:32PM
Have you tried homing your x axis yet? I had problems but figured out how to get it working. Check back on page 49 to see how I did it. I'd get that all set up first before you run anything. After that level your bed and calibrate your y and x axis. Also I found my extruder is reverse and switched the plug around to reverse the motor.
September 12, 2015 05:55PM
Has anyone tried anything besides ABS or PLA in their printer? I was looking at TPE..... Would I need a different extruder or anything for that?
September 12, 2015 06:28PM
Neverdone
Has anyone tried anything besides ABS or PLA in their printer? I was looking at TPE..... Would I need a different extruder or anything for that?

I've tried PLA/PHA mix and PETG. I wrote up some notes here [moosteria.blogspot.com]. It looks like the temperature requirements for TPE (that's Ninjaflex, right?) should be OK. With a direct extruder it ought to work ok.

See my blog at [moosteria.blogspot.com].
September 12, 2015 09:21PM
Hi i am having trouble calibrating my 2020 does anyone know where i can learn how to calibrate or maybe even tell me on here? Im having an issue where i sent it to print and it send the printer bed all the way to the front away from the extruder, im guess thats due to calibration correct?
September 12, 2015 09:29PM
and i cant afford s3d lol .
September 12, 2015 09:29PM
canny
Hi i am having trouble calibrating my 2020 does anyone know where i can learn how to calibrate or maybe even tell me on here? Im having an issue where i sent it to print and it send the printer bed all the way to the front away from the extruder, im guess thats due to calibration correct?
if you home your y axis does the bed go to the rear until it hits the limit switch?
September 12, 2015 09:35PM
No it goes all the way to the front and the belt jumps ...
September 12, 2015 09:35PM
woodknack
canny
if you home your y axis does the bed go to the rear until it hits the limit switch?

September 12, 2015 09:40PM
which way are your axis stepper motor wires facing? red towards usb?
September 12, 2015 09:41PM
canny
woodknack
canny

What is the source of the firmware you flashed to RAMPs? If it was FT or therippa, then the end stops and motor directions (with the exception of X and maybe E) should be configured correctly. Try flipping the plug for the Y motor, which will receive it's direction. I didn't need to do this for Y but did for X and E.

[www.thingiverse.com]
September 12, 2015 09:47PM
Also what are you using to jog the printer around?

printrun is free and you will be able to home and jog your axis's to make sure they are working right before you go any farther.
September 12, 2015 09:50PM
i was using repetier host and now my print bed wont even move seems as if the motor jammed. Any suggestions for that too? and let me switch the cable to see.
September 12, 2015 09:52PM
canny
i was using repetier host and now my print bed wont even move seems as if the motor jammed. Any suggestions for that too? and let me switch the cable to see.

make sure you power off and unplug usb before your unplug any wires on the ramp board.
September 12, 2015 09:53PM
still jammed
September 12, 2015 09:57PM
canny
still jammed
check your belt and connections where you ran it into the front of the machine? if everything is unplugged main power and usb power your should be able to manually move your bed . if not check the belt , tentioners , anything mechanical.
September 12, 2015 10:00PM
woodknack
canny
still jammed
check your belt and connections where you ran it into the front of the machine? if everything is unplugged main power and usb power your should be able to manually move your bed . if not check the belt , tentioners , anything mechanical.

It moves fine when its off only when told to move does it have an issue
September 12, 2015 10:03PM
all your axis this way or just the Y axis?
September 12, 2015 10:07PM
just the y
September 12, 2015 10:09PM
did you home all your axis first in repetier?
September 12, 2015 10:14PM
yes but like i said the y isnt really working
September 12, 2015 10:18PM
have you adjusted the motor drivers on your ramp board?
September 12, 2015 10:22PM
no i havent ... Should i ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login