Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)

Posted by Dan_FolgerTech 
Re: Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)
February 17, 2016 12:59AM
I took the extra bearing's and upgraded the spool holder, it's so smooth the spool is unrolling itself! Maybe that because I had to unwind some of it to get it off... Not sure.
February 17, 2016 01:17AM
Printed a benchy boat in glow in the dark pla, sadly my camera takes awful night photos....
[imgur.com]
February 17, 2016 10:46AM
If you want to ditch the black binder clips and have an aluminum bed, just spray some hairspray on the aluminum and place your glass on top. Then do a few heat and cool cycles to at least 90C, and that'll keep the glass in place while you print, but still very easy to remove once cool. If you don't have an aluminum bed, place some Kapton tape on the bed and spray that. Save those clips for something else!
Anonymous User
February 17, 2016 12:37PM
While going through the numerous 3D printers type, I came to this one and saw it uses only one Z motor, which is fine, but with only one threaded rod on one side and hanging from the motor to which it is attached by a flexible coupler.
Can you confirm or did I missed something ?
February 17, 2016 01:08PM
MKSA
While going through the numerous 3D printers type, I came to this one and saw it uses only one Z motor, which is fine, but with only one threaded rod on one side and hanging from the motor to which it is attached by a flexible coupler.

It has two Z axis motors and threaded rods. Can confirm is has flex couplings though.

Folger Tech I3 2020 Wikia page: [folgertech.wikia.com]

Custom Folger Tech I3 2020 custom search
February 17, 2016 03:26PM
What are the advantages of using rep host over say cura?
February 17, 2016 03:30PM
MKSA

If by "this one" you mean the Folger Tech 2020 i3, it has two z motors along with two threaded rods. If you meant some other printer, can you include a link?

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Wiki

Custom google search for the Folger Tech 2020 i3 forum topic by Animoose

My Thingiverse Designs
February 17, 2016 04:01PM
UltiFix

If you mean repetier host it's not a slicer and still need one, so you'll still need something like cura or slic3r to cut up your stl and create g-code.
February 17, 2016 04:05PM
marc2912
UltiFix

If you mean repetier host it's not a slicer and still need one, so you'll still need something like cura or slic3r to cut up your stl and create g-code.
Sorrry, I mean using cura in rep host or just using cura, as the cura program itself can create g code...
February 17, 2016 06:12PM
UltiFix
marc2912
UltiFix

Sorrry, I mean using cura in rep host or just using cura, as the cura program itself can create g code...

So far for me the cura slicer works much better with support material. Maybe try for yourself!
February 17, 2016 06:24PM
msaeger
MuckYu
Mach
MuckYu
flynprints
MuckYu
markts
MuckYu
Mach
MuckYu
Ugh, I have yet another problem. I was printing a 3 hours print today. After about an hour in the printer stopped and the Error "MINTEMP" came up on the LCD display.

Now the extruder only shows 0/0° ... Anything I can do here?

Sounds like your thermistor has a bad connection somewhere. Check to make sure no wires are broken at the thermistor, and that it is securely plugged into the ramps.

How do I check the connection inside the extruder? Can I just pull the thermistor out with some pliers? The one in the ramps seems fine.

I would think chances are more likely it would be broken outside the extruder, wouldn't it? Maybe after bumping some wires or due to them moving while printing? The thermistor is held in with a set screw - I don't think pliers are necessary.

Okay, I got the thermistor out now. How do I properly check everything now? I already replugged every cable but nothing seems to help. I have a multimeter to test it but where exactly do I position it? Do I need to cut the cable?

Use a multimeter and check for continuity,if your meter beeps when touching the pos and neg meter wires to each of the wires in the plug housing of the thermistor then the thermistor is bad.

How do I reach the wires in the plug housing? Do I need to cut them off?

Unplug it from the ramps, and do the test from the bare contacts on connector.

[imgur.com]

Is this correct? Otherwise I need to cut the wire to get to the contacts.

And what do I do when it doesn't work? Order a new one from folgertech? Or are there any alternatives? And what could have been the cause of this? Not that the next one will break after a few days too ..

Thanks how to do it. Put one probe on each wire. If it's bad an you can't find a break in the wire you just need a new one. Making sure you run the wire so it's not getting stressed is the only preventative measure I can think of.

I ended up ordering a new thermistor off of ebay. Had to open the thermistor clamp thingy with some pliers and resolder it to the wires. (Not so easy in such a small scale). I used electrical tape around the solder areas (didn't have a heat-shrink tube). Let's see how long it holds grinning smiley
February 17, 2016 06:46PM
UltiFix
marc2912
UltiFix

I like using cura with repetier because it organizes the settings, and provides a quick way of adjusting print speeds and densities without having to changes multiple values. It also gives you the ability to manually move and heat the printer, which I do not think you can do in standalone cura.

Folger Tech I3 2020 Wikia page: [folgertech.wikia.com]

Custom Folger Tech I3 2020 custom search
February 17, 2016 09:51PM
UltiFix
Why are the z axis motors at the top? Having them at the bottom would be better wouldn't it? Less weight up high is always good?

Yes the motors in the i2 design had the motors at the top which didn't help frame movement.
They were move down in the i3 design which also has a more rigid frame than the original i2.

The 2020 is really an i2 design but I suspect it's branded as an i3 (which it isn't) purely for a marketing point of view.
When you google search for an i3 kit you wouldn't find the Folger Tech 2020 if they just called it the "Folger Tech 2020"
My guess anyways

Steve
February 17, 2016 11:05PM
So im thinking about an enclosure for the folger tech, here a few of the good things about it, please correct me if im wrong.

• Helps with tempature
  • If sealed it would prevent fires from going, the fire burns up the oxygen and boom no more fire
  • Keep it dust free in a dusty garage
  • No smells if airtight
Can the printer run with no new air?

Thanks!
-Sam
February 17, 2016 11:22PM
First abs print! Wahoo! grinning smiley

The abs is green, and the clearish is glow in the dark pla.

February 17, 2016 11:26PM
UltiFix

Nice - good work!

See my blog at [moosteria.blogspot.com].
February 17, 2016 11:50PM
animoose
UltiFix

Nice - good work!
Thanks grinning smiley

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Wiki

February 18, 2016 12:53AM
Mach
UltiFix
marc2912
UltiFix

I like using cura with repetier because it organizes the settings, and provides a quick way of adjusting print speeds and densities without having to changes multiple values. It also gives you the ability to manually move and heat the printer, which I do not think you can do in standalone cura.
Thanks! I will be sticking with rep host then...
February 18, 2016 06:33AM
UltiFix
Mach
UltiFix
marc2912
UltiFix

Thanks! I will be sticking with rep host then...

Repetier host is simple to start with, down the line you might want to use a slicer that isn't slic3r or cura and Rep host makes less sense, I use repetier server on a raspberry pi for multiple reasons, I don't trust the lcd add-on menu and navigation, I don't trust the printer electronic boards supplied by folgertech and don't like leaving my computer plugged into it. Repetier server allows me to feeding g-code from any slicer on any computer, start, manage and stop my prints from anywhere. At the cost of a raspberry pi it made no sense to use a computer.
February 18, 2016 07:35AM
UltiFix
So im thinking about an enclosure for the folger tech, here a few of the good things about it, please correct me if im wrong.

• Helps with tempature
  • If sealed it would prevent fires from going, the fire burns up the oxygen and boom no more fire
  • No smells if airtight

Thanks!
-Sam

I think everything would overheat if you were sealed up airtight.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
February 18, 2016 07:58AM
msaeger
UltiFix

• Helps with tempature
  • No smells if airtight

Thanks!
-Sam

I think everything would overheat if you were sealed up airtight.

Chances are it won't be airtight, even if it was a fire could melt or burn a hole before it went out, I would consider this far from fire proof. Also as noted you're going to probably have a tough time keeping the temperature right if you do a full seal, remember some of the parts that hold your printer together were printed themselves, too warm and they will lose their shape. If you're printing PLA smells isn't really a worry, ABS in a garage should be fine, if you're worried about fumes build an exhaust.
February 18, 2016 10:47AM
UltiFix

Those do look great! Stock setup?

I'm jealous of you guys with the great overhangs. eye popping smiley I printed and have been using a fan duct (separate fan) and even still, overhangs still come out "janky" (as my son puts it). At the moment I'm using a stock printer/hot end (though the E3DV6-lite is ready to go!), PLA at 175. With the fan running, is there anything else I should be looking to adjust? I've read you want the extrusion multiplier to be less than 100%, and the speed greater than 100% (I think I'm using 80%/150% ?) in order to "stretch" the plastic across the bridge. Is that the right approach? Any suggestions for S3D settings?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 10:47AM by markts.
Test Needed Please
February 18, 2016 12:27PM
Ok, folks. I spent hours chasing an issue with auto level Z height that apparently was not an issue with my setup at all. I would like someone (maybe a few) to download and START to print this and see if our autolevel trips out. Mine would print in the "air" and not lower to the correct Z-Height. However, other files work perfectly. I have NO idea how a STL could trip up the printers autolevel but I want others to verify this is the case. You obviously dont need to print the entire thing to see if its working correctly for you or not.

EDIT: RESOLVED....STL was uploaded hovering above the Z axis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 02:15PM by bmays.
February 18, 2016 12:36PM
All I had to do was load up the stl to see it's sitting above the Z axis. You should be able to move it down and it will print fine (S3D has a "center and arrange" button).
February 18, 2016 02:15PM
markts
All I had to do was load up the stl to see it's sitting above the Z axis. You should be able to move it down and it will print fine (S3D has a "center and arrange" button).

Right, I figured that out after I left that message. Cant believe I let that kick my azz for so long though. I seriously worked on my settings for hours thinking something was wrongeye popping smiley I will be sure to check other folks STL's from now on.
February 18, 2016 02:44PM
UltiFix
I took the extra bearing's and upgraded the spool holder, it's so smooth the spool is unrolling itself! Maybe that because I had to unwind some of it to get it off... Not sure.

I made some bearing-spool rings too. That glow-in-the-dark boat is really cool!

I took apart the hotend block and applied PTFE tape to all threads; the oozing of PLA from the top of the heat block is gone. FYI: I took it apart while applying heat (200 C) in the manual settings of Repetier-Host and got all the threads cleaned up while hot. I left the the heat-brake bloc attached so had a place to grab while placing the heat block into my wrenches.
February 18, 2016 03:10PM
S3D = what? I need a dictionary, ha ha ha.

TIA
February 18, 2016 03:17PM
Sorry for the acronyms. S3D = Simplify3d (www.simplify3d.com)
February 18, 2016 05:36PM
Did anyone have to cut the length of there BLTouch probe? If I use the adjuster to bring the probe high enough to clear the bottom of the nozzle in the raise position it is not able to lift itself... I am running off a 5v adjustable power supply for the BLTouch. I adjusted it for 5.4 volts to see if that helps... it did not...

I used this mount to mount the BLTouch : [www.thingiverse.com]

I order to get it to clear I removed some plastic from the extruder as I was not able to get it to mount... I'm thinking about making a new mount the raises it up as this one just does not work well... unless people cut the tip of the probe...
February 18, 2016 05:51PM
buffcleb
Did anyone have to cut the length of there BLTouch probe? If I use the adjuster to bring the probe high enough to clear the bottom of the nozzle in the raise position it is not able to lift itself... I am running off a 5v adjustable power supply for the BLTouch. I adjusted it for 5.4 volts to see if that helps... it did not...

I used this mount to mount the BLTouch : [www.thingiverse.com]

I order to get it to clear I removed some plastic from the extruder as I was not able to get it to mount... I'm thinking about making a new mount the raises it up as this one just does not work well... unless people cut the tip of the probe...

I raised the mount by scaling it at 300% along the Z axis in Slic3r before printing it. Was a lot quicker than making a new one.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Wiki

My Thingiverse Designs
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login