Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)

Posted by Dan_FolgerTech 
Re: Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)
March 08, 2016 12:21PM
jhitesma
flatlander
Did you catch this at: [www.pololu.com]?

"Warning: This carrier board uses low-ESR ceramic capacitors, which makes it susceptible to destructive LC voltage spikes, especially when using power leads longer than a few inches. Under the right conditions, these spikes can exceed the 45 V maximum voltage rating for the DRV8825 and permanently damage the board, even when the motor supply voltage is as low as 12 V. One way to protect the driver from such spikes is to put a large (at least 47 µF) electrolytic capacitor across motor power (VMOT) and ground somewhere close to the
board."

They seem to be talking about the power supply to the steppers. With the way the RAMPS is laid out it would be fairly difficult to add any extra capacitance and the power leads are fairly short anyway since they're all on the PCB. So despite the warning I think the risk is low enough that the difficulty of adding such a large cap that close to the driver is more difficult than it's worth dealing with. A quick glance at the RAMPS schematic looks like there are some 100µF caps on there already (C3,C4,C7,C9,C10). The A4988 carries the same warning afterall: [www.pololu.com]

Not that the RAMPS is the greatest design. It's cheap and convenient...but I'm really not that happy or impressed with it. I've never been a fan of the power circuits on the arduino mega and the RAMPS just adds more issues on top of that. I'm kind of surprised there aren't more lower cost boards. Heck even the RAMPS 1.4.2 from 2013 seems like enough minor but important upgrades over the 1.4 that I'm shocked it hasn't become the variant of choice. It still has the under rated power connector, but adds blade fuses in place of the polyfuses, protection caps on the endstops, and some nicer labels on the board. Should be able to be cloned for about the same cost as a 1.4 and is still released under GPL...but there don't seem to be any available other than from the place that created it.

Even something like the printrboard shouldn't be as expensive as it is since it's basically just a RAMPS and Mega integrated (different processor but overall nothing radically different.) Yet even the clones sell for way more than RAMPS.

Something seems to be keeping the price of RAMPS setups artificially low...while better designed alternatives seem to be artificially high. I like the replicape - but the price is kind of high for what it is especially once you add in the cost of a beagle bone. An all in one solution based off that design with an integrated uC could likely be mass produced for close to the same price as just the current cape version if you could sell enough. The big problem is RAMPS is so entrenched with the super cheap clones it's tough to get the momentum on a new design - so we're stuck with dozens of overpriced designs or 1 poor design dirt cheap.

I am still struggling with getting the x-axis VREF correct. I can't seem to get the VREF low enough to keep that one stepper cool. It's either too hot or skipping because of too low torque. That little Tugboat didn't stand a chance at low current. I went for the box-o-steppers, so that I can drive the x-axis stepper with a high enough current.

My X runs kind of hot, but not too hot. Technically I'm probably over driving the stepper based on the actual numbers...but it's been working since December so I'm not going to complain. I found on X/Y just going by the numbers to be pretty much useless. Going by feel and just adjusting it to just above where it jumps steps worked best for me, even if according to the numbers I'm potentially driving it slightly above the 0.4a rating of our steppers. I'm probably running closer to 0.7a IIRC and my stepper runs around 37c. My extruder stepper runs hotter even though it's driven at lower current (I assume due to heat from the hot end soaking into it through the aluminum block the hot end mounts to.)

Good call on the caps; they are there and might not be necessary anyway. At least Ramps 1.4 has that going for it, which is nice.
March 08, 2016 03:57PM
Im experiencing warped corners on my abs print's, currently my bed is set at 100c and my extruder is at 245 or something. Im going to increase my bed to 140 and im sure it will have a hard time getting their. I have a enclousure (A big storage container that I just set over it) and im a bit worried that it will get to hot inside the container, will that damage the ramps or steppers?

Or is it a better option to try and insulate the bottom of the heated bed?

Actually, my problem might just be from me printing with the enclosure on then taking it off partway through a print...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 04:20PM by UltiFix.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Wiki

Custom google search for the Folger Tech 2020 i3 forum topic by Animoose
March 08, 2016 05:32PM
Is anyone running a Toranado extruder on their Folger Tech? I got my stock extruder working again, but I'm looking for what's great out there. This looks promising:

[www.thingiverse.com]

Folger Tech 2020 i3 w/Misumi bearings, Borosilicate bed, BuildTak, BLTouch, 12864 LCD, lead screw z-axis, DRV8825, Toranado extruder & E3D V6 driven by Simplify3D and an Octopi.
March 08, 2016 11:11PM
Is their anything wrong with the stock z axis lead screws?

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Wiki

March 08, 2016 11:46PM
UltiFix

You mean the stock threaded rods?

They work. But they're not ideal. Basically threaded rod and nuts are designed to hold things together, so the threads are cut in a way that encourages binding. They're basically designed for the opposite of what we use them for. They work but they aren't the smoothest, they can wear out rather quickly, and they tend to have quite a bit of backlash. They're also not often very straight which can cause issues as well.

Actual lead screws on the other hand are engineered to not bind and to have less backlash since they're designed for motion control. They're also made from hardened rod which is far more likely to be straight than threaded rod.

A few years ago lead screws were prohibitively expensive...but much like everything else on 3D printers the popularity of 3D printers has helped drive down the cost and a set of decent lead screws is <$20 now.

If you're not using autolevel then threaded rod is acceptable but not ideal.

If you're using autolevel then I'd strongly suggest using lead screws since you have up and down motion within a layer so backlash and accuracy become a much bigger deal and wear is greatly increased without them.
March 08, 2016 11:55PM
I am using autolevel as of saterday, do these look like a decen't upgrade set?
[www.banggood.com]

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Wiki

March 09, 2016 01:26AM
UltiFix
[www.banggood.com]

That's the set I'm using and am very happy with. I ordered them 3 days after Folger shipped me my printer and even though they came from China and I was too cheap to upgrade my shipping I got them just a few days after my printer arrived. Gives you time to print the new X axis end pieces while waiting on the shipping winking smiley

Don't forget you'll also need new flexible couplers since the lead screws are 8mm and the original threaded rod is only 5mm.
March 09, 2016 03:37AM
GrouchoDuke
Is anyone running a Toranado extruder on their Folger Tech? I got my stock extruder working again, but I'm looking for what's great out there. This looks promising:

[www.thingiverse.com]

Jeeeeesus Christ that thing looks like an over-engineered piece of hardware. With that said, I feel like I haven't done any upgrades in two months so I may print one. But I expect something that complicated to have problems.

Need help? Visit the Folgertech Wikia Page

The latest Marlin firmware with Folgertech Prusa i3 settings merged in, get it here

And check out my designs on Thingiverse, and follow me if you like what you see!
March 09, 2016 03:50AM
therippa
GrouchoDuke
[www.thingiverse.com]

Jeeeeesus Christ that thing looks like an over-engineered piece of hardware. With that said, I feel like I haven't done any upgrades in two months so I may print one. But I expect something that complicated to have problems.

I just ordered some replacement parts for my stock extruder (eBay metal thing for $12), but I might mess with this too. Looks like a fun challenge to me.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 w/Misumi bearings, Borosilicate bed, BuildTak, BLTouch, 12864 LCD, lead screw z-axis, DRV8825, Toranado extruder & E3D V6 driven by Simplify3D and an Octopi.
March 09, 2016 06:46AM
therippa
GrouchoDuke

[www.thingiverse.com]

Definitely the feeling I had when I saw that a few days ago. It's way too complex, if you design that you're asking for issues. This isn't even because it's 3d printed and such, it's just the good old saying "keep it simple" being ignored....
March 09, 2016 07:27AM
UltiFix

To "solve'" lash with 5mm threaded rod try Tech2C's backlash thingy:

[www.thingiverse.com]
video:[www.youtube.com]

I'm not convinced that the acme rod is any more accurate. Sure the threads are designed to bind. Add a drop of sewing machine oil, voila, smokestack lightn'. Something tells me that more threads per inch equates to the ability to better fine tune z-axis movement, that is if you can live with the x & y wobble of threaded rod dangling from steppers mounted on the topwinking smiley

Get the flexible couplers that are split, if you want a more "centered" lead screw, like the ones here: [www.amazon.com]

Then get a bearing setup for the bottom, since our steppers are up top. Probably a bad idea, might cause binding.

These are Frankenprinters for sure. Will your mod make you happy?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2016 08:45AM by flatlander.
March 09, 2016 03:07PM
Quick question for anyone using S3D and an auto leveling probe.

I have my probe working perfectly with Cura/Slicer but since switching over to S3D my prints are off centered. Lets say I place an item in the middle of my bed and slice it, it appears to be in the center on S3D but when the print actually starts it is around 40mm to the right of the center mark. I was wondering if it has something to do with the extruder/probe offsets in the Marlin configuration.h code. I haven't had time to mess with offset settings in the software yet so I figured I would see if anyone has had a similar problem.

Also TheRippa, I finally scrapped my bowden extruder and switched over to your TinyFlex Extruder, it is working amazing to say the least. I also remixed your design to fit a 18mm OD capacitance sensor. If anyone wants the files let me know, the sensor is working great with my glass/pei print bed, it is linked below.

Thanks for the help.

[www.amazon.com]
March 09, 2016 09:40PM
Tried printing with PETG again tonight for the first time since swapping to the metal extruder. Not going so well.

About 15 minutes into the print my extruder stepper starts clunking and it acts like it's clogged. But I think it's actually the stepper motor overheating. Checked it and it was over 60c. I've never seen it over 45 before and usually it's closer to 37-40. I'm thinking the higher temp of the PETG is heat soaking the extruder frame and into the stepper body. So looks like I'm not going to be able to do PETG again until I change something. Which is a bummer because I REALLY like PETG sad smiley
March 09, 2016 10:27PM
Does anyone know the size of Teflon/PTFE that's used for the liner in the threaded tube of the extruder?

I keep having filament stick in mine so while cleaning the other day I gently pushed the teflon tube out so I could take a torch to the tube to clean PLA out of the threads without melting the PTFE. But when it came out it was obvious why I'm having some issues. There was a kink in the middle of the tube bad enough to create a small hole. The end of it near the nozzle was also slightly melted...which is odd since I haven't run temps high enough to melt PTFE.

I know I can get a new threaded tube for $4 from Folger, but shipping makes it not a great deal. And really all I need is the teflon tube. I'd rather buy a chunk of it and be able to replace the liner without replacing the hole non-damaged tube.

I reamed it out with a 1.5mm allen wrench and trimmed off the melted end with a razor. Other than the PETG issue I found this evening it's been working well but I'd like to replace that tube since the damage can't be helping anything.
March 10, 2016 12:52AM
jhitesma

If you're using autolevel then I'd strongly suggest using lead screws since you have up and down motion within a layer so backlash and accuracy become a much bigger deal and wear is greatly increased without them.

So lead screws would be better than M5 threaded without auto level?
March 10, 2016 07:46AM
jhitesma
Tried printing with PETG again tonight for the first time since swapping to the metal extruder. Not going so well.

About 15 minutes into the print my extruder stepper starts clunking and it acts like it's clogged. But I think it's actually the stepper motor overheating. Checked it and it was over 60c. I've never seen it over 45 before and usually it's closer to 37-40. I'm thinking the higher temp of the PETG is heat soaking the extruder frame and into the stepper body. So looks like I'm not going to be able to do PETG again until I change something. Which is a bummer because I REALLY like PETG sad smiley

Maybe you need to raise the temp or could you not have enough cooling in the cool block and it's starting to melt in there. You should get a geared extruder. I recommend buying one like this [www.ebay.com] then you will have all the parts.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
March 10, 2016 08:45AM
jhitesma
Does anyone know the size of Teflon/PTFE that's used for the liner in the threaded tube of the extruder?

I keep having filament stick in mine so while cleaning the other day I gently pushed the teflon tube out so I could take a torch to the tube to clean PLA out of the threads without melting the PTFE. But when it came out it was obvious why I'm having some issues. There was a kink in the middle of the tube bad enough to create a small hole. The end of it near the nozzle was also slightly melted...which is odd since I haven't run temps high enough to melt PTFE.

I know I can get a new threaded tube for $4 from Folger, but shipping makes it not a great deal. And really all I need is the teflon tube. I'd rather buy a chunk of it and be able to replace the liner without replacing the hole non-damaged tube.

I reamed it out with a 1.5mm allen wrench and trimmed off the melted end with a razor. Other than the PETG issue I found this evening it's been working well but I'd like to replace that tube since the damage can't be helping anything.

I think you're talking about these:
CycleMore 5PCS Hotend Barrel M6*26MM Teflon Nozzle for MK8 Tube Makerbot 1.75mm 3D Printer Extruder Hot End Reprap Prusa I3 [www.amazon.com]
March 10, 2016 08:50AM
SteveRoy
jhitesma

I feel like overall lead screws would be better for both cases. Even more so if you are using autolevel, the autolevel feature cases your Z-Axis to always be moving to compensate for the uneven print plane which would put a lot of wear on the 5mm threaded rod. Threaded rod wasn't designed to turn rotational motion into linear motion like a lead screw is. If you go with a larger and higher quality lead screw it can reduce the wobble in the Z-Axis. I don't think that there being more threads per inch in the threaded rod would make it more accurate, as long as your steps/mm are calibrated correctly you should get the same results.

Just my two cents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 08:51AM by Keary123.
March 10, 2016 08:54AM
SteveRoy
jhitesma

I find it hard to believe that threaded rod with a pitch of .8 mm, even with stretch, manufacturing defects, wear, and shipping/handling defects, is less accurate than a lead screw that has a pitch of 2 mm. A 16th of a step will introduce more error, in the z direction, with a lead screw than what that 1/16 step will introduce with small variances of the 5 mm threaded rod. There might be x & y wobble artifacts if the rod is bent. If you don't get the lead screw exactly centered you will still get wobble from the lead screw. Both methods use a coupling that is essentially a spring, that can't help wobble.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 08:59AM by flatlander.
March 10, 2016 08:59AM
Keary123
SteveRoy
jhitesma

I feel like overall lead screws would be better for both cases. Even more so if you are using autolevel, the autolevel feature cases your Z-Axis to always be moving to compensate for the uneven print plane which would put a lot of wear on the 5mm threaded rod. Threaded rod wasn't designed to turn rotational motion into linear motion like a lead screw is. If you go with a larger and higher quality lead screw it can reduce the wobble in the Z-Axis. I don't think that there being more threads per inch in the threaded rod would make it more accurate, as long as your steps/mm are calibrated correctly you should get the same results.

Just my two cents.

I agree with you here, while theoretically a threaded rod my be more accurate it's all a matter of design. Lead screws are used in higher end printers for a reason. Threaded rods weren't designed for this and over time will give you more headaches than worth.
March 10, 2016 10:53AM
msaeger
jhitesma

Maybe you need to raise the temp or could you not have enough cooling in the cool block and it's starting to melt in there. You should get a geared extruder. I recommend buying one like this [www.ebay.com] then you will have all the parts.

Pretty sure raising the temp will only make this worse since the problem is the extruder frame and stepper getting too hot. I'm thinking about adding a thin layer of gasket material or cork between the extruder and the stepper - though I'm still concerned about the metal extruder itself getting too hot.

Honestly I'm ready to just get a better hot end and extruder and be done with it it winking smiley I've been thinking about printing a geared extruder for some time but haven't had a real reason to until all these issues started up.

It seems that right about 200c is my limit right now. I did an almost 2 hour long print last night for the MPCNC I'm working on with the eSun black which prints well for me at 195 and it went wonderful, in fact now that I tightened up the nozzle and throat to stop the leaking I was experiencing it printed better than the last 2 identical parts I did with the same gcode.

Then after letting it cool down I did a shorter 1 hour print but with some MakerGeeks PLA I have that's happier printing at higher temps and I run it at 205c. About 30 minutes into that print the same problems I had with the PETG (which I print at 220) came back and sure enough a check with the thermometer showed the stepper motor running 10-15c hotter than it usually does.

So it really seems the problem is the metal extruder is wicking heat into the stepper body, and higher temps will only make things worse.

There is one other possibility...it could be the hot end is running hotter now since after I cleaned it I reseated the thermister - so maybe the thermister seated slightly different and while the temps I'm setting having changed maybe the effective temps have gone up if the thermister isn't making as good contact as it was before. Except the filament isn't acting like it's running any hotter - if anything it's acting like it's running colder.

I suppose it COULD be that it is running colder (again thermister seating changing) and that's putting more stress on the stepper causing the stepper to run hotter...but that just doesn't seem likely. An external temp reading on the hot end is still about the same as it was before so I'm not convinced that's the issue.

My next step is to try and insulate the metal extruder from the stepper to see if that makes a difference.
March 10, 2016 10:56AM
marc2912
jhitesma

CycleMore 5PCS Hotend Barrel M6*26MM Teflon Nozzle for MK8 Tube Makerbot 1.75mm 3D Printer Extruder Hot End Reprap Prusa I3 [www.amazon.com]

That's the part, but I'm looking for the dimensions of the PTFE liner so I can just replace the liner that's damaged without having to replace the whole metal throat which is still in fine shape. Yeah, $10 with prime delivery is a good deal for 5 of them....but I hate to replace that much when 90% of the part is fine it's just the plastic liner that needs replacement. Would rather spend the $10 on a couple feet of properly sized PTFE which would let me replace the liner dozens of times than spend it on 5 replacement heat breaks and treat them as disposable.
March 10, 2016 11:08AM
jhitesma
marc2912
jhitesma

That's the part, but I'm looking for the dimensions of the PTFE liner so I can just replace the liner that's damaged without having to replace the whole metal throat which is still in fine shape. Yeah, $10 with prime delivery is a good deal for 5 of them....but I hate to replace that much when 90% of the part is fine it's just the plastic liner that needs replacement. Would rather spend the $10 on a couple feet of properly sized PTFE which would let me replace the liner dozens of times than spend it on 5 replacement heat breaks and treat them as disposable.

I'm pretty sure it is just the same PTFE tube that is used for connecting a Bowden extruder. That's pretty easy to come by.

ebay PTFE tube or Longer PTFE tubing on ebay

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Wiki

My Thingiverse Designs
March 10, 2016 11:34AM
jhitesma
marc2912
jhitesma

I wouldn't just replace one without the other, are you in the US and not in a rush. Send me a PM with your address, I'll put one in an envelope (i had ordered 5 as spares).

M.
March 10, 2016 12:42PM
UltiFix
[www.banggood.com]

These might be a better option if you are in the U.S. The 250mm ones cost about the same, and are the perfect length Leadscrews

Folger Tech I3 2020 Wikia page: [folgertech.wikia.com]

Custom Folger Tech I3 2020 custom search
March 10, 2016 12:56PM
Did anyone else get a bag of jelly beans in their package?
A happy accident or a little reward for when I finish putting it together? My kit was missing all the M3x8mm screws, I guess this almost makes up for it.

Any advice on aligning the Z axis? I don't think mine are perfectly align as the movement on the Z axis is not as smooth and it feels like it is binding at the bottom part a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 01:09PM by Toxic0n.
March 10, 2016 01:10PM
UltiFix
[www.banggood.com]

I bought those, and they are working well, although I wish I had purchased extra nuts at the time (I have them in route now) so I could set them up with in an anti-backlash setup. HOWEVER, I really wish I had bought these: (and will be ordering when I have some additional disposable cash)
[store.makerstoolworks.com]

The 8mm lead on the Banggood screws means 1/10 the steps (400) per mm when compared to the threaded rod. With this installed, those Z motors really don't move very far. I feel that any imperfections in the manufacturing of those could result in much bigger errors. The screws linked above are singe start, so the lead is 2mm, (1600 steps/mm) AND they come with delrin nuts, which I understand wear better than the brass, and are inherently non-backlash (can anyone confirm?). Also, those single start lead screws have their ends turned down to 5mm, so you don't need to replace the flex couplers.

Even though they are over twice the cost, I think it would be worth it, which is why I will be swapping them out in the next couple months.

--Andrew
March 10, 2016 02:13PM
Toxic0n
Did anyone else get a bag of jelly beans in their package?
A happy accident or a little reward for when I finish putting it together? My kit was missing all the M3x8mm screws, I guess this almost makes up for it.

Any advice on aligning the Z axis? I don't think mine are perfectly align as the movement on the Z axis is not as smooth and it feels like it is binding at the bottom part a bit.

If you can print reasonably well I'd suggest trying to print two of these: [www.thingiverse.com]

They really helped me dial in my Z alignment.

If nothing else at least take some measurements to make sure the two sides are as close as you can get them. I originally did this by lowering the Z to just a few mm above the bed and measuring from the lower X chrome rod to the table on both sides and manually turning the lead screws or threaded rods to get the two sides even.

However, when I saw these I realized that was a bad way to do it. Level to the table doesn't matter. It's getting the X and Y motion axes even that matters (bed level can play into this as well but is a separate issue.) So these are nice because they give a quick way to confirm that the lower X chrome rod is even to the two Y chrome rods. You can do the same thing measuring with calipers...but I found it much quicker and more repeatable to use these. I just put them on the two Y rods then slowly lower the Z until one of the X just touches the top of one measuring tool. Then manually turn the screw/rod of the other Z until the other one just touches equally. Once they both match I did one of these to test:

[www.thingiverse.com]

Adjusting to the table my diagonals on there were close but slightly off. Probably acceptable for most people but I'm looking to do fairly high precision parts so I keep trying to improve. Adjusting with calipers between the rods I got closer but still had a slightly mismatch on the diagonals. Using the printed tools my test comes out with the diagonal measurements closer than my calipers can discern.
March 10, 2016 03:12PM
Keary123

I have my probe working perfectly with Cura/Slicer but since switching over to S3D my prints are off centered. Lets say I place an item in the middle of my bed and slice it, it appears to be in the center on S3D but when the print actually starts it is around 40mm to the right of the center mark. I was wondering if it has something to do with the extruder/probe offsets in the Marlin configuration.h code. I haven't had time to mess with offset settings in the software yet so I figured I would see if anyone has had a similar problem.

Also TheRippa, I finally scrapped my bowden extruder and switched over to your TinyFlex Extruder, it is working amazing to say the least. I also remixed your design to fit a 18mm OD capacitance sensor. If anyone wants the files let me know, the sensor is working great with my glass/pei print bed, it is linked below.

Thanks for the help.

[www.amazon.com]

I'd love to get those files. I've been very frustrated with the bowden (I just can't get the right retraction settings). I'm ready to go back to direct, and have a 18mm sensor.
March 10, 2016 03:29PM
iamquestar
Keary123

Thanks for the help.

[www.amazon.com]

I'd love to get those files. I've been very frustrated with the bowden (I just can't get the right retraction settings). I'm ready to go back to direct, and have a 18mm sensor.

Out of curiosity why did you switch to bowden in the first place?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login