Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)

Posted by Dan_FolgerTech 
Re: Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)
March 24, 2016 11:13AM
jhitesma
widespreaddeadhead
@jhitesma

I use that same hotend/extruder mount and it works well for me. I like your remixed idler also.

Thanks. Oh, and just in case I came across too harsh...Overall I like it and would say it's an improvement over stock. My criticisms are just because I'm pretty much never satisfied and always looking to make things better - which means first identifying what can be improved grinning smiley

I'm amazed this extruder is still getting talked about and used. I kept meaning to post the .step files for this extruder but I just now found them hidden in some deeply buried random folder. They are now up on the thingiverse page. Hopefully that will save anyone a little time if compelled to make improvements. I don't know what iteration the step files are. There is a possibility they are not the exact same files as the converted .stl already posted.
March 24, 2016 11:14AM
flatlander
I have no firsthand knowledge but ran across this stuff doing research for my future setup. For filaments requiring higher temps you need to go with barrels without liners. Those barrels need to be polished and then seasoned, with oil, like a cast iron skillet. Before I start using PETG I'll have a barrel, polished and seasoned, like the following:

I ordered a replacement from Folger Tech to get my printer going again. It's just a temp solution though. I got an E3D v6 Universal in the mail yesterday. I wouldn't bother anymore with my stock hot end except that I still need to print the X carriage mount for my new extruder. It's the long way around, but I'll get my current setup going again, then print the remaining upgrade parts I need, then pull it and install the E3D v6. The v6 should be great for all the higher temp stuff (so they say).

Folger Tech 2020 i3 w/Misumi bearings, Borosilicate bed, BuildTak, BLTouch, 12864 LCD, lead screw z-axis, DRV8825, Toranado extruder & E3D V6 driven by Simplify3D and an Octopi.
March 24, 2016 12:31PM
GrouchoDuke
Alright, can somebody give me some jam advice? I pulled apart my hot end to fix a jam/clog. The nozzle itself is clear, but the liner on the hot side of the heat break is sticking out quite a bit. Has anyone seen this before?

I've been printing mostly PETG at 245C for the last couple months. Did that kill the stock hot end?

Thanks for the help!

tjnamtiw
For 6 months, I've been strictly running PLA. Today a threw a roll of ESUN PET up there...This stuff is pretty nice AT FIRST GLANCE. We shall see.

I've been using eSun PETG and I like it too. At 245C, the prints come out shiny & very strong. I use 75C on my bed with BuildTak and that sticks great.

If the throat tube is screwed down tight against the nozzle, it shouldn't push out like that - there shouldn't be room in the nozzle for it to move. The gap above the tube will cause a wide spot where melted filament will pool up and harden, causing a jam. You can replace just the PTFE tube, but the whole throat assembly is cheap. You can get 5 for $12 on Amazon. 5 hotend nozzle throats for Prusa i3.

I've had not problems printing PETG with mine. At least no problems other than the usual PETG stringing.

The only way I can think of that the tube would go down like that is if the nozzle had been replaced with (or maybe shipped with?) one that is wider than usual, allowing the tube to enter the nozzle. I've got several nozzles, and none are big enough to let the PTFE tube into the nozzle.

I've used throats with the PTFE going in at the top, and ones like in your photo, where it goes in at the bottom of the tube. The ones at the bottom work better. The ones with it at the top will often pull out some when you are changing filament, leaving enough gap under it for melted filament to pool, causing a jam. The ones with it at the bottom should be held in place if the throat is screwed in tight against the nozzle.

To assemble the hot end, screw the nozzle into the heat block almost all the way, leaving about 1 mm of thread exposed. Then screw the throat down tight against it. Put it all together, and heat it up, and then tighten the nozzle on up once it is hot. The throat and nozzle must be tight against each other. Get it tight, but be careful not to use too much force, because the block is just aluminum and will strip out pretty easy. If you get it tight while hot, it will give you a leak proof seal, as well as keeping the tube from moving around in the throat. This should give you a pretty much jam free setup.

I've got a E3D, but haven't gotten around to installing it, because I'm not really having any problems with the stock setup.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Wiki

Custom google search for the Folger Tech 2020 i3 forum topic by Animoose

My Thingiverse Designs
March 24, 2016 04:09PM
Is this the correct part for the sonny tech x-axis?

[www.muve3d.net]

Does anybody have a cheaper/better place to buy the bearing?
March 24, 2016 04:14PM
stanger2k

[www.muve3d.net]

One can buy them from igus for less than $3, include shipping.
March 24, 2016 04:14PM
stanger2k

[www.muve3d.net]

You didn't put a link to the uprade so I can't tell you if it's the right one but good bearings are expensive, there is no way around that. Cheap bearing will be just that, cheap. This is a part you don't want to be cheap on.
March 24, 2016 04:24PM
marc2912
stanger2k

[www.muve3d.net]

You didn't put a link to the uprade so I can't tell you if it's the right one but good bearings are expensive, there is no way around that. Cheap bearing will be just that, cheap. This is a part you don't want to be cheap on.

Can you provide a link to the correct part? The one I was looking at is at the muve3d website which I had included.
March 24, 2016 06:46PM
stanger2k
marc2912
stanger2k

[www.muve3d.net]

Can you provide a link to the correct part? The one I was looking at is at the muve3d website which I had included.

Once again you didn't put up a link to the upgrade you're performing and I don't have all of sonny's upgrades bookmarked so I can't tell you if this is correct or not.
March 24, 2016 07:57PM
marc2912
stanger2k
marc2912
stanger2k

[www.muve3d.net]

Once again you didn't put up a link to the upgrade you're performing and I don't have all of sonny's upgrades bookmarked so I can't tell you if this is correct or not.

This is the upgrade that I'm looking at: [www.thingiverse.com]

I'm thinking of using version 8. I guess I just assumed all versions of the x-axis upgrade used the same size of igus bearings.
March 24, 2016 08:11PM
stanger2k
marc2912
stanger2k
marc2912
stanger2k

[www.muve3d.net]

I'm thinking of using version 8. I guess I just assumed all versions of the x-axis upgrade used the same size of igus bearings.

The p/n to the igus bearing you want is RJ4JP-01-08. That is from the igus website.
March 25, 2016 12:12AM
Just finished my build yesterday, took me 12 hours (i was livestreaming the whole build and had a few issues so realistically more like 10) Here is a timelapse if anyone is interested thumbs up cheers! [www.youtube.com]
March 25, 2016 12:22AM
Bert3D
The only way I can think of that the tube would go down like that is if the nozzle had been replaced with (or maybe shipped with?)...

To assemble the hot end, screw the nozzle into the heat block almost all the way, leaving about 1 mm of thread exposed. Then screw the throat down tight against it. Put it all together, and heat it up, and then tighten the nozzle on up once it is hot. The throat and nozzle must be tight against each other. Get it tight, but be careful not to use too much force, because the block is just aluminum and will strip out pretty easy. If you get it tight while hot, it will give you a leak proof seal, as well as keeping the tube from moving around in the throat. This should give you a pretty much jam free setup.

Great, thanks for the info. I'll swap in a new one soon.

I was using the stock nozzle. In fact, I hadn't even taken it apart until this happened. Seems really strange, but at least it's cheap to fix.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 w/Misumi bearings, Borosilicate bed, BuildTak, BLTouch, 12864 LCD, lead screw z-axis, DRV8825, Toranado extruder & E3D V6 driven by Simplify3D and an Octopi.
March 25, 2016 12:30AM
Mopar99
stanger2k
marc2912
stanger2k
marc2912
stanger2k

[www.muve3d.net]

The p/n to the igus bearing you want is RJ4JP-01-08. That is from the igus website.

If you guys are looking to upgrade your bearings your might want to think about Misumi LMU-N8. They are the "real" version of the cheap Chinese LM8UU's, and in my experience (and other folks about 100 pages back on this thread), are better than the igus Drylin bearings. Only a buck or two more expensive.

Need help? Visit the Folgertech Wikia Page

The latest Marlin firmware with Folgertech Prusa i3 settings merged in, get it here

And check out my designs on Thingiverse, and follow me if you like what you see!
March 25, 2016 03:39AM
Well, cheap chinese bearings or not.. I'm having a bearing issue I need worked out! Putting my 2020 together, I notice I've got nothing for tightening those m3 nylock nuts! So a while later, I finally get some tools at the hardware store for doing just that! So, onto the build right? WRONG! The LM8UU bearings only fit into 2 of the 3 bearing holders for the Y carriage base plate! I was literally putting flex into the 8mm chromed rods and the last LM8 won't pop into the bearing holder. Any ideas? Do I try to scrape out the bearing holder? Is there just a trick I don't know for getting all 3 to seat properly? I'm not putting a ton of pressure because I don't want to permanently put a bend into those chromed rods!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 03:40AM by MonolithTyriss.
March 25, 2016 08:06AM
MonolithTyriss
Well, cheap chinese bearings or not.. I'm having a bearing issue I need worked out! Putting my 2020 together, I notice I've got nothing for tightening those m3 nylock nuts! So a while later, I finally get some tools at the hardware store for doing just that! So, onto the build right? WRONG! The LM8UU bearings only fit into 2 of the 3 bearing holders for the Y carriage base plate! I was literally putting flex into the 8mm chromed rods and the last LM8 won't pop into the bearing holder. Any ideas? Do I try to scrape out the bearing holder? Is there just a trick I don't know for getting all 3 to seat properly? I'm not putting a ton of pressure because I don't want to permanently put a bend into those chromed rods!

That carriage part for me was a bit undersized too. I just scraped the bearing holder with a Swiss Army Knife. Also the holes leading into the stepper holes were too narrow, so I widened them with a jewelers file. I wouldn't be using the chrome rods for leverage. Just put the bearing carriage, flat side down, on a sturdy table or floor and press the bearings in with your palm. Or maybe use something like a book to protect your palms from bruising.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 08:10AM by flatlander.
March 25, 2016 08:21AM
MonolithTyriss

Hi, If you read through this post (I know it's really long) you'll learn that this is a common issue, use a knife, dremmel, whatever you have to make it fit. You'll also learn a lot of other fixes to issue you'll probably run across.
March 25, 2016 02:02PM
marc2912
jhitesma
I wrote up some more details about my experiences setting up auto level on my blog: [www.nevermindthesand.com]

I also included links at the end to a number of other sources of information that I relied on when figuring out how to get it working.

Please feel free to point out anything I left out or any glaring errors - I just tossed this post together since it's such a popular topic. I didn't try to rehash the existing detailed setup instructions but instead tried to give my own perspective on the options and why I went with the choices I did. I'll gladly add links to any other auto level resources I overlooked that people have found helpful the ones I included were just those that immediately came to mind as helping me when I did my setup.

Awesome, thanks a lot for the info. I have a LJ18A3-8-Z/BX that I have done nothing with yet, it's a 8mm NPN NO Switch 6-36VDC, I was thinking of just doing a mount for it and giving it a try. Would gluing some HD aluminum sheets to the back side of the glass work? I'm thinking that since the glass surface is what I want level making sure the aluminum sensed is parallel to the glass is crucial.

Would you recommend multiple layers of aluminum?

Thx

I used foil tape, commonly used for attaching rigid ducts, you can find it in the HVAC isle. A roll costs about $8 and it works fantastic. I tape it to the underside of the glass. My sensor (8mm distance) reads that stuff better than the steel flashing I tried at first.

I got several pieces of the same sized glass, and have them all prepped with the foil tape. I can pull off one, (to allow it to cool before removing the parts) and swap in another and print on. It has worked well for me.
March 25, 2016 03:16PM
therippa
If you guys are looking to upgrade your bearings your might want to think about Misumi LMU-N8. They are the "real" version of the cheap Chinese LM8UU's, and in my experience (and other folks about 100 pages back on this thread), are better than the igus Drylin bearings. Only a buck or two more expensive.

+1 for Misumi bearings. I have them on mine. Except for the crappy z axis threaded rods, my printer's smooth and very quiet.

March 26, 2016 11:02AM
jhitesma
Yeah I have one of those metal ones on my machine right now. I do like the higher tension it gives on the idler, that cleaned up a pattern I was seeing in my prints. But my stepper has been running about 10-15 degrees hotter since the change and started skipping. I initially thought it was due to the aluminum extruder letting more hot end heat get into the stepper...but now I think it's the extra tension making the stepper work harder - I turned up the current on my stepper driver a bit (doing the math I'm now over the 0.4a the stepper is rated for...but still under 0.5a so not much over) and even though I'm apparently over the current limit the stepper is running cooler and not skipping steps anymore so I'm going with it...close to 30 hours of printing at that setting so far and still working great.)

I also had some issues with the idler not lining up with the entrance to the heat break and with the tensioner not moving well if I tightened the screw it mounts with enough that I didn't worry about the screw falling out. I solved both problems by putting a 3mm washer between the tensioner and the body of the extruder with a dab of super lube grease on it:

To try and stop heat from the hot end getting into the stepper I added a gasket cut from some high temp gasket material I picked up for a few bucks at tractor supply for another project and had plenty of extra on hand:

The gasket didn't really help much, but the washer got the idler lined up with the heat break much better so it's much easier to load filament now and it has a straight path through the extruder - you can see the gasket and the washer here if you look closely:

But my e3d v6 (full all metal version since I want to try nylon) should be here tomorrow so I've got this printing right now: [www.thingiverse.com] It should be done in about half an hour. Not sure how I'll mount my inductive sensor though...may have to rig something up. I'm a little worried about the stepper hitting the top bar and costing me some Z...but we'll just have to see how that goes. I do like that the stepper is exposed so I can put the stock heat sink on the back of it to help cool it some. I want to do the compact geared extruder: [www.thingiverse.com] but that will take a bit more work to collect the vitamins for since I'll have to make a hobbed bolt so won't tackle that until this weekend at the earliest.

I may just go with animoose's mount and the stock extruder - I'm starting to think the issues I had with the stock extruder may be more related to stepper current than they were tension. I printed his mount and this remix: [www.thingiverse.com] to fit my inductive sensor. So I should have two options to try tomorrow. Doubt I'll get the e3d on and printing tomorrow but at least I'll have a few extruders to experiment with.

Hey there! Could you point me at some kind of manual for assembling that particular extruder? OR just write up how you did it? I got one with ZERO paperwork or anything of the sort. I can't figure out which bolt goes where! I don't have to worry about heat or anything, in my case the extruder is going to be used with a bowden tube on a seperate project. Thanks!
March 26, 2016 12:50PM
MonolithTyriss
Hey there! Could you point me at some kind of manual for assembling that particular extruder? OR just write up how you did it? I got one with ZERO paperwork or anything of the sort. I can't figure out which bolt goes where! I don't have to worry about heat or anything, in my case the extruder is going to be used with a bowden tube on a seperate project. Thanks!

There are some photos, midway down, on the following ebay page:
[www.ebay.com]

A few of us have added a washer to the swing arm attachment joint. I needed to over-drill the holes a bit, the last thing I need is stripped threads on my steppers. It is now installed on my machine...

The verdict is still out as to whether or not it's an improvement. I'm having heat bed temperature problems, I think the heat bed thermistor is under-reporting temps, so I can't get a good read on the extruder.
March 26, 2016 11:26PM
flatlander
MonolithTyriss

That carriage part for me was a bit undersized too. I just scraped the bearing holder with a Swiss Army Knife. Also the holes leading into the stepper holes were too narrow, so I widened them with a jewelers file. I wouldn't be using the chrome rods for leverage. Just put the bearing carriage, flat side down, on a sturdy table or floor and press the bearings in with your palm. Or maybe use something like a book to protect your palms from bruising.

I just printed out a replacement using the FT file and ESUN PETG. The bearings all snapped in perfectly! Just a slight nudge with my thumb in in they went.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
March 27, 2016 04:57AM
I just built a folger prusa i3 2020 this weekend and it went great other than the left x-carriage holder cracking when I inserted the 8mm rod. Additionally the kit came with sk10's instead of sk8s - temporarily I wrapped the ends in masking tape until they had a diameter of about 9.7 and shoved them into the sk10s. Seems to be working OK. I plan on contacting Folger for replacement parts but have not sent an email yet.

I used therippa's marlin firmware, but found I had to set #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {40,80,4000,90} , setting the x axis to 40 from 80 as the x axis was travelling exactly twice as far as it should in repetier. Is this normal? I don't remember reading anything about that in this thread.

PLA is printing great at 200-210 so far. I printed 4 of the sk8 holders. - I then tried to print ABS to print an inductive sensor bracket and ran into an issue. I set the temp to 210 and backed out the filament. Seemed to come out fine. I then cut the abs at a diagonal angle and inserted it into the extruder and down into the hot end. I then bumped up the temp to 230 and manually fed and pushed out enough pla to where I thought it was now ABS(same color, arggh!) I fed through some abs with the extruder in repetier and it seemed to work OK. I then tried to start the print and a little filament came out, but then it stopped laying down filament. I manually fed and checked again, and it stalled while I was testing. I backed out the filament and the extruder had ground away at the filament. This happened several times after cutting and re-feeding the filament. I checked the gear on the direct drive, and it seemed clear. I was thinking maybe the temp of the hot end thermistor might be a bit off, but I was scared of bumping the temp up too high in repetier. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2016 05:05AM by b0bl0blaw.
March 27, 2016 07:02AM
b0bl0blaw

I used therippa's marlin firmware, but found I had to set #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {40,80,4000,90} , setting the x axis to 40 from 80 as the x axis was travelling exactly twice as far as it should in repetier. Is this normal? I don't remember reading anything about that in this thread.

Thank you!

Check under the X Axis stepper driver and see if all three jumpers are installed. One was missing when I built my kit a few months ago.
March 27, 2016 09:36AM
b0bl0blaw

PLA is printing great at 200-210 so far. I printed 4 of the sk8 holders. - I then tried to print ABS to print an inductive sensor bracket and ran into an issue. I set the temp to 210 and backed out the filament. Seemed to come out fine. I then cut the abs at a diagonal angle and inserted it into the extruder and down into the hot end. I then bumped up the temp to 230 and manually fed and pushed out enough pla to where I thought it was now ABS(same color, arggh!) I fed through some abs with the extruder in repetier and it seemed to work OK. I then tried to start the print and a little filament came out, but then it stopped laying down filament. I manually fed and checked again, and it stalled while I was testing. I backed out the filament and the extruder had ground away at the filament. This happened several times after cutting and re-feeding the filament. I checked the gear on the direct drive, and it seemed clear. I was thinking maybe the temp of the hot end thermistor might be a bit off, but I was scared of bumping the temp up too high in repetier. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Try, while at print temp, twizziling a 0.39mm drill or guitar string into the tip, I think E, B, G (0.2032mm, 0.2540mm, 0.3810mm) will work.

The hotends come poorly assembled; try the GrouchoDuke's assembly method:

GrouchoDuke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2016 09:40AM by flatlander.
March 28, 2016 04:21PM
Thanks all for the help! I have not checked the jumpers yet but I bet that is it. Until I can find another jumper or make one, am I causing any damage or negatively affecting my prints in any way?

I successfully got ABS to print - I used a small piece of wire I found that was about .35mm and twizzled the nozzle as you suggested. I figured out the problem actually was that my bed was slightly too high, causing the filament to back up - I also slowed down the printing speeds and got a couple great ABS prints - inductive sensor mount, fan shroud etc.

I am having a new problem now, it happens randomly both in Octoprint and directly connected to my pc. The heated bed sometimes runs away and gets above the set temp. I did upgrade to a 200x200 aluminum bed, along with therippa's latest marlin so I'm not sure if that has affected anything - see the screenshot here. Is this potentially something to do with the PID values? Octoprint Screenshot I have started a couple prints by getting the bed up to temp prior to actually starting the print job, I'm testing now to see if that was my problem.

Edit: Nope, that wasn't it. Here's a temp graph of a print I'm doing right now. The bed temp started running away right at about 15 minutes in - [imgur.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2016 05:34PM by b0bl0blaw.
March 28, 2016 05:33PM
Stock printers can print petg right? Would yall reccomend esun petg?

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Wiki

Custom google search for the Folger Tech 2020 i3 forum topic by Animoose
March 28, 2016 10:47PM

Hello fellow Folger Techies! After several failed attempts, I have been able to print using NinjaFlex on a slightly modified stock hot end. I insulated the hot end and added some thermal paste where the nozzle throat attaches to the mounting block. This allowed the filament to maintain just enough rigidity so that it flowed relatively well out of the nozzle. I had to print at about 15mm/sec though so its a very slow process. The end product looks awesome though! CAUTION - shortly after printing this and switching back to ABS, I had a catastrophic clog. I'm not sure, but it appears that, the teflon liner collapsed and wound up smashed at the end of the nozzle. First clog in the six months I've been printing. From what I have read above, it looks like switching between different types of thermoplastic can be problematic. I ordered a bunch of new nozzles, throats, and cleaning bits in case this happens again. If anyone else has any NinjaFlex suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them!
March 28, 2016 10:54PM
Oh and one more thing. Any suggestions for getting the old throat out of the heater block? I think the Hulk inserted mine along with the extruder tip which was darn near impossible to get off too.
March 29, 2016 01:27AM
Hey guys,

Long time... a lot has changed since I built my printer it seems. I have upgraded to a E3D Lite, which then broke and bought a generic E3D clone off Amazon to get me back running and it has worked well.

Well over the past weekend I started having major issues with Y-Axis skipping. First 1cm or so of layers would be fine, then all of a sudden the print shifts back between a few mm to 1 cm. Immediately I figured it was the belt tension or the stepper motor, so I printed the y-axis tensioner and replaced the stepper motor. Neither fixed it, so today I took it apart more and noticed the LM8UU bearings were a bit rough on the double side of the carriage.

So I just swapped in the two spares it came with and see talk about the DriLine and Misumi bearings. I really like the idea of the DriLine ones since the environment that I print in isn't good for metal ( lots of salt water in the air). So thinking about upgrading to those... but then again don't want to waste money obviously.

Secondly I was looking at getting a Inductive Proximity sensor (LJ12A3-4-Z/AX DC 6-36V NPN NC ) but it sounds like the 8mm version is more sensitive. Since I am planning on just putting foil tape on the glass bed... I should go for the 8mm version not the 4 right? From my understanding the NPN NC is the one to get as it won't send the voltage it's powered with to the controller right?
March 29, 2016 09:05AM
LancelotL
Oh and one more thing. Any suggestions for getting the old throat out of the heater block? I think the Hulk inserted mine along with the extruder tip which was darn near impossible to get off too.
Have you tried heat; try print temperature. I have a partially disassembled hotend in a 'parts dish' that may need the toaster oven before I take it apart.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login