Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)

Posted by Dan_FolgerTech 
Re: Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)
February 04, 2016 11:59PM
jcantalupo
UltiFix
Im liking cura, if you haven't tried it give it a go!

I've been going back and forth between Slic3r and Cura. Here's what I really like about Cura: it has a Support Type of "Touching build plate", so you can do supports just on the bottom. Slic3r has "Enforce support for the first layers" but it doesn't work.

I have mostly used Slic3r, but mostly because I got used to its settings. I've started using Cura more recently, and found the prints are sometimes a little better. However, I've never found it get thin walled objects right - it sometimes output nothing at all.

See my blog at [moosteria.blogspot.com].
February 05, 2016 12:01AM
animoose
jcantalupo
UltiFix
Im liking cura, if you haven't tried it give it a go!

I've been going back and forth between Slic3r and Cura. Here's what I really like about Cura: it has a Support Type of "Touching build plate", so you can do supports just on the bottom. Slic3r has "Enforce support for the first layers" but it doesn't work.

I have mostly used Slic3r, but mostly because I got used to its settings. I've started using Cura more recently, and found the prints are sometimes a little better. However, I've never found it get thin walled objects right - it sometimes output nothing at all.
Im still a newbie so I should probably try slic3r again, im just lovin cura so far! It's great for me it doesn't have many options... Perfect for beginners!
Steppers moving in only one direction
February 05, 2016 12:17AM
Hey guys,

I finished my build and when I went to home X, the extruder went the opposite way of the end stop and crashed into the other side. When I told it to go back the other way (to the end stop), nothing happened and I could hear a noticeable high pitched frequency. The same exact thing happened in the Y direction with the heated bed, as well with the Z direction. All the steppers work, but only in one direction, with this high pitch frequency occurring every time for each stepper.

What do you guys think? I configured it exactly the same as in the guide. Hopefully it is not a bigger problem than a settings issue.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Re: Steppers moving in only one direction
February 05, 2016 12:48AM
shalke_52
Hey guys,

I finished my build and when I went to home X, the extruder went the opposite way of the end stop and crashed into the other side. When I told it to go back the other way (to the end stop), nothing happened and I could hear a noticeable high pitched frequency. The same exact thing happened in the Y direction with the heated bed, as well with the Z direction. All the steppers work, but only in one direction, with this high pitch frequency occurring every time for each stepper.

What do you guys think? I configured it exactly the same as in the guide. Hopefully it is not a bigger problem than a settings issue.

This is indeed a setting/ setup issue. Can you copy and paste your confg.h config to pastebin and give a link to it. Also, what positions are your endstops in? The build guide that FT links to on their page has various discrepancy issues.

Folger Tech I3 2020 Wikia page: [folgertech.wikia.com]

Custom Folger Tech I3 2020 custom search
February 05, 2016 01:19AM
Can anybody reccomend if the hatchbox glow in the dark is any good?
[www.amazon.com]
February 05, 2016 01:27AM
Hello anyone know how to activate a extruder in adruino? when i start repetier it says active extruder :0

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 02:38AM by Zeegzeigler.
Attachments:
open | download - Capture 3d.PNG (21.1 KB)
February 05, 2016 02:34AM
tjnamtiw
For some reason, even though the BLTOUCH pulls almost no current, it was resetting my firmware. I ended up with an external supply. The MAIN problem for it going into alarm condition though was that you have to have the pin in the down position when you energize it to prevent the alarm. In the stand alone configuration, you have no way to send the reset code except if you put it at the beginning of a slicer file, which I now do just in case. It would be nice to have a menu item that would do that for me. I just can't find where that coding is located yet.

Great idea. Which code are you sending? Is it the alarm release code? (M280 P0 S160)

Thanks!

Folger Tech 2020 i3 w/Misumi bearings, Borosilicate bed, BuildTak, BLTouch, 12864 LCD, lead screw z-axis, DRV8825, Toranado extruder & E3D V6 driven by Simplify3D and an Octopi.
February 05, 2016 06:26AM
With all the new kid's chatter about slicing software I thought I'd through S3D in the mix (I know it's expensive, but it's well worth the price of admission :-)...here is a great example of just how well the support function works in S3D.

The support in this part was automatically generated, but S3D does allow custom placement and removal of support material, it also allows varying densities of support within the same part. Which means you could run coarse 4mm support up to just under your ledge, then run it 1mm support to insure and smooth part surface, this makes for a much faster print...pretty cool stuff.

It also does a great job slicing, just look at the horizontals holes...they are almost perfect!!

BTW: The support material all but fell out of the part, it really took little to no effort to remove it and it came out in single pieces. that feature is just the tip of the iceberg, I can't reiterate enough how impressed I am with this software...

p.s. These parts were printed with my latest iteration of the Gen-2 X-Carriage running a DDE, other than a little extra noise the weight of dual steppers on the carriage has had no ill effect on the printer, nor the print qualify, on the contrary, I think it's gotten better!!

The Belt Drive Extruder really feeds material consistently and smoothly, so much better than the geared Bowden setup I was running. I love seeing the pulleys and belt moving, so much so I mounted the extruder 180° out from the norm, it also allows me to use the large pulley to retract and feed the filament by hand, a nice bonus.

As far as the extra noise, I was getting a bit of it before I added the DDE but after moving to RC3. If I recall correctly Marlin increased the rapid travel rates between RC2 and RC3 (I need to check) and that's were I'm getting noise (rapid travel), I think I can adjust it S3D, but either way I might turn it down a notch or two ;-)

My Stuff on Thingi

FolgerTech Wikia Page

Custom Search by Animoose

MakerSL.com
February 05, 2016 06:57AM
UltiFix
My x axis motor is really hot, should I be worried if it gets over 40c? I mean 50c, gets hotter than I thought.

I also noticed my X motor getting hot (a lot hotter than the others). So I readjusted the stepper driver. I have it turned down really low (much lower than I thought was needed - around 180 I think) which has the added benefit of making it A LOT quieter. If you don't have a multimeter, turn the stepper driver down until the motor doesn't move when instructed (using the LCD or using manual control in Repetier - but remember none of the axes will move until homed first), then increase the driver in very small turns of the pot. Once the stepper motor is moving again, gently push on the extruder to see if it holds position. If not, keep increasing the driver voltage until the extruder won't move when you push on it by hand. If you've got a multimeter try going down really low - say 0.100v - and then increasing in by 0.050 each time until its moving again and then go up/down from there while doing the 'push' test.

It's no good me saying adjust it to x amount because everyone's set up is different.

Hope it helps!
February 05, 2016 07:30AM
UltiFix
[www.amazon.com]

If you find my postings, thats all I been printing in lately. I've printed sonny gen1 upgrade parts with it and made some stars for my daughter. I have another brand on order but not sure that I get it any time soon. It's been on back order for 2 months now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 07:30AM by Mopar99.
February 05, 2016 09:23AM
UltiFix
[www.amazon.com]

Yes, it works quite well, processes just like their other colors, and glows very well. I made a few Man in the Moon's for the grandkids and a mobile with it. No problems.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
February 05, 2016 09:25AM
shalke_52
Hey guys,

You really should browse through all these pages. There's a lot of good info including the answer to your question MANY TIMES. Plus you'll be way ahead of the learning curve. Here's a few things you need to change.

According to the instruction manual, The plug for the X motor should have the red wire to the left. Put it just like the picture shows. The instructions call this the 'Z' motor again. Also these things need to be done that are different from the instructions.>>

Change the following in configuration.h

#define INVERT_X_DIR true to #define INVERT_X_DIR false
#define X_HOME_DIR -1 to #define X_HOME_DIR 1
With the printer off PHYSICALLY move the x-axis stop plug to the left one set of pins (this makes it so it's the x max instead of x-min)

Now if you are using rep host, you need to go to printer settings > printer shape and change home X: from min to Max.

One big glaring mistake in the build manual is putting the X stop plug in the wrong place on the board. It should be right next to the Y stop plug, not two over as the manual says. Also, for the X motor plug wires, keep them as you see. It's not a mistake to have them reversed from the others. I DID end up reversing the extruder motor plug because it was pushing the filament out the top!

The new spring design extruder has a brass feed gear that, for me, was rubbing inside the motor housing and causing it to drag and skip steps

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
February 05, 2016 09:26AM
GrouchoDuke
tjnamtiw
For some reason, even though the BLTOUCH pulls almost no current, it was resetting my firmware. I ended up with an external supply. The MAIN problem for it going into alarm condition though was that you have to have the pin in the down position when you energize it to prevent the alarm. In the stand alone configuration, you have no way to send the reset code except if you put it at the beginning of a slicer file, which I now do just in case. It would be nice to have a menu item that would do that for me. I just can't find where that coding is located yet.

Great idea. Which code are you sending? Is it the alarm release code? (M280 P0 S160)

Thanks!

Yep, that's it!

February 05, 2016 11:38AM
sonnylowe
With all the new kid's chatter about slicing software I thought I'd through S3D in the mix (I know it's expensive, but it's well worth the price of admission :-)...here is a great example of just how well the support function works in S3D.

+1 for Simplify3d. The supports alone are incredible.

GrouchoDuke
M280 P0 S160
tjnamtiw
Yep, that's it!

Thanks! I'll add that to my startup G-code for the BLTouch.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 w/Misumi bearings, Borosilicate bed, BuildTak, BLTouch, 12864 LCD, lead screw z-axis, DRV8825, Toranado extruder & E3D V6 driven by Simplify3D and an Octopi.
February 05, 2016 01:14PM
Boffster
UltiFix
My x axis motor is really hot, should I be worried if it gets over 40c? I mean 50c, gets hotter than I thought.

I also noticed my X motor getting hot (a lot hotter than the others). So I readjusted the stepper driver. I have it turned down really low (much lower than I thought was needed - around 180 I think) which has the added benefit of making it A LOT quieter. If you don't have a multimeter, turn the stepper driver down until the motor doesn't move when instructed (using the LCD or using manual control in Repetier - but remember none of the axes will move until homed first), then increase the driver in very small turns of the pot. Once the stepper motor is moving again, gently push on the extruder to see if it holds position. If not, keep increasing the driver voltage until the extruder won't move when you push on it by hand. If you've got a multimeter try going down really low - say 0.100v - and then increasing in by 0.050 each time until its moving again and then go up/down from there while doing the 'push' test.

It's no good me saying adjust it to x amount because everyone's set up is different.

Hope it helps!
I do have a multimeter but were do I check that voltage? How do I know which way im turning the pot? Don't want to fry the motor!

Thanks!
-Sam

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 01:16PM by UltiFix.
February 05, 2016 01:44PM
UltiFix
Boffster
UltiFix

Hope it helps!
I do have a multimeter but were do I check that voltage? How do I know which way im turning the pot? Don't want to fry the motor!

Thanks!
-Sam

Put the positive lead on the potentiometer (the small screw head), and the ground lead on one of the ground connections on the terminal block going to the power supply. Be vary careful not to let the lead on the pot slip, or you will almost certainly fry your stepper driver and your arduino.

February 05, 2016 02:24PM
Mach
UltiFix
Boffster
UltiFix

Hope it helps!

Thanks!
-Sam

Put the positive lead on the potentiometer (the small screw head), and the ground lead on one of the ground connections on the terminal block going to the power supply. Be vary careful not to let the lead on the pot slip, or you will almost certainly fry your stepper driver and your arduino.
'
I heard somebody said to shut the printer off everytime you adjust it, is that a good idea?
Just measured my motor over 62c, I think I need to do something about it... If I turn the pot up on acciden't will I instantly fry my stepper motor? I should be in DC mah mode right?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 02:37PM by UltiFix.
February 05, 2016 02:38PM
UltiFix
Mach
UltiFix
Boffster
UltiFix

Hope it helps!

Thanks!
-Sam

'
I heard somebody said to shut the printer off everytime you adjust it, is that a good idea?
Just measured my motor over 62c, I think I need to do something about it... If I turn the pot up on acciden't will I instantly fry my stepper motor?

While adjusting your stepper current, you cannot have the printer off. When the stepper gets too hot due to to much current, I will start to temporarily shut itself off. Counter-clockwise decreases current. Definitely take care of the problem though, since you will start to get skipped steps during prints when it starts to shut itself off. Yes DC mode

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 02:38PM by Mach.

February 05, 2016 02:44PM
Mach
UltiFix
Mach
UltiFix
Boffster
UltiFix

Hope it helps!

Thanks!
-Sam

'
Just measured my motor over 62c, I think I need to do something about it... If I turn the pot up on acciden't will I instantly fry my stepper motor?

While adjusting your stepper current, you cannot have the printer off. When the stepper gets too hot due to to much current, I will start to temporarily shut itself off. Counter-clockwise decreases current. Definitely take care of the problem though, since you will start to get skipped steps during prints when it starts to shut itself off. Yes DC mode
As I turn the pot counter clockwise a high pitch noise get's louder and louder, is that correct? Also am I supposed to be in DCMAH? In that mode I got no reading, positive lead on POT negative lead in negative dc terminal on PSU.

Thanks! Don't want to fry anything grinning smiley

-Sam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 02:44PM by UltiFix.
February 05, 2016 02:52PM
UltiFix
Mach
UltiFix
Mach
UltiFix
Boffster
UltiFix

Hope it helps!

Thanks!
-Sam

'

As I turn the pot counter clockwise a high pitch noise get's louder and louder, is that correct? Also am I supposed to be in DCMAH? In that mode I got no reading, positive lead on POT negative lead in negative dc terminal on PSU.

-Sam

Your stepper must be different from mine. CCW lowers the current on mine. You should be on DCV.

February 05, 2016 02:57PM
Mach
UltiFix
Mach
UltiFix
Mach
UltiFix
Boffster
UltiFix

Hope it helps!

Thanks!
-Sam

'

-Sam

Your stepper must be different from mine. CCW lowers the current on mine. You should be on DCV.
Edit, I redid it and watched a youtube video, not sure what I did differentl'y but now im getting a reading, yay! Should I bring it between .100 and .200? Roughly?
Thanks!
-Sam
February 05, 2016 02:59PM
WOW, O MY GOSH

I lowered my stepper voltage for my x axis to .217 and it's so much quieter!!! I can't believe how much of a difference that made! And it's sooooooo smooth!

EDIT:
I lowered it all the way down to 165 think thats good?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 03:03PM by UltiFix.
February 05, 2016 03:05PM
UltiFix
WOW, O MY GOSH

I lowered my stepper voltage for my x axis to .217 and it's so much quieter!!! I can't believe how much of a difference that made! And it's sooooooo smooth!

I'm not quite sure what range it should be since I adjusted mine by sound, but I think .2 is abit low. You do not want it too low or it will skip steps and/or be more subject to losing precision.

February 05, 2016 03:08PM
Mach
UltiFix
WOW, O MY GOSH

I'm not quite sure what range it should be since I adjusted mine by sound, but I think .2 is abit low. You do not want it too low or it will skip steps and/or be more subject to losing precision.
Alright, I set it I think about 227, it's weird sometimes my MM shows it as .200 but now it's showing it as 200 instead of .200, not sure?
Maybe im having memory loss, I just tested it and it's like it should be.
Well it's still super quite and it doesn't move by me pushing on it so im going to do a test print and see how it goes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 03:10PM by UltiFix.
February 05, 2016 03:11PM
UltiFix
Mach
UltiFix
WOW, O MY GOSH

Alright, I set it I think about 227, it's weird sometimes my MM shows it as .200 but now it's showing it as 200 instead of .200, not sure?
Maybe im having memory loss, I just tested it and it's like it should be.
Well it's still super quite and it doesn't move by me pushing on it so im going to do a test print and see how it goes!

I had the same reaction when I dropped the voltages on mine. Doesn't matter what the actual voltage is - just set it to where it doesn't skip. You'll be impressed!
February 05, 2016 03:40PM
My extruder is running a little to hot to, should I lower the voltage to about the same? 220?
The extruer is 0E right?

it's currently at about .6 and I think thats way to high...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 03:41PM by UltiFix.
February 05, 2016 05:19PM
Thanks for the help. I think it is an end stop issue. The printer thinks it is hitting the end stops, but actually they are on the opposite side of each axis.

My wiring is exactly as shown in the guide.

Thanks again
Attachments:
open | download - connection.PNG (16.3 KB)
open | download - printer shape.PNG (16.9 KB)
open | download - printer.PNG (22.7 KB)
February 05, 2016 08:03PM
Yep it was my thermistor. now the my nex issue is my firmware doesn't show my extruder active. any idea how to do this?
February 05, 2016 09:01PM
Zeegzeigler
Yep it was my thermistor. now the my nex issue is my firmware doesn't show my extruder active. any idea how to do this?

The extruders are "zero indexed" so extruder 1 appears as extruder 0.

February 06, 2016 12:03AM
I have a 12mm proximity sensor coming, how do you reccomend I mount it to the stock folgertech 2020 extruder? I looked on thingiverse and didn't find anything for the folger tech...
[www.thingiverse.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login