Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folgertech x-axis not running, not smooth, not homing.

Posted by Unshockable 
Folgertech x-axis not running, not smooth, not homing.
June 06, 2015 04:29PM
Hi guys.

I've built the Folgertech 2020 i3 kit, and it went fine, configuration setup went well. Manual control on the Repetier host allows me to control the Y and Z axes without any problem. 2/3 isn't bad, but I'm afraid that the prints will be suboptimal without a functioning X-axis. The upshot is that I would save a lot on filament. :/

So, the problem with the x-axis. It's not running smoothly, and stops repeatedly when I'm running the home functions. After hitting the end stop switch, it will still travel in the stopwards direction (or try to) but can't push things out of the way.

It's not inverted. I tried both directions on X, and it's not able to move smoothly. There's something weird going on with the way it's homing, it's like the home on the X axis seems to be inverted in the configuration file. If I home it and press the limit switch while it's still in the middle of the bed, I can make it move towards the limit switch, and then back again. It is very weird. Looking back at the assembly guide, I'm sure I've put the switch on the correct side. Facing the printer, power supply and electronics are on the right side, limit switch is on the same side.

Okay, this is where it gets weird. When I manually hit the limit switch and trick the X axis into thinking home is on the left (wrong) side of the bed, I can then increment the X position in Repetier, then nothing happens. When I then decrement the position, it moves within the field, as defined by whatever I've incremented the limit to. I know, right?

I have:
1. Switched the X and Y motors. Inverting directions seems to show that it's neither of the motors.
2. Replaced the X-axis stepper. Reseated the jumpers while stepper board was off.
3. Done the weird manual limit trigger.

I've seen some allusions to adjusting the stepper potentiometers, but that doesn't seem to be written down anywhere. If anyone's got some info as to what's transpiring forthwith, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

---
Unshockable Engineering
www.unshockable.ca
Re: Folgertech x-axis not running, not smooth, not homing.
June 06, 2015 05:26PM
There are voltages for the steppers on the last page of the construction manual for the older (acrylic) model. Dan says they apply to the 2020 as well.

Can you move the carriage in the X axis by hand over the full distance?
June 06, 2015 07:26PM
animoose
There are voltages for the steppers on the last page of the construction manual for the older (acrylic) model. Dan says they apply to the 2020 as well.

Can you move the carriage in the X axis by hand over the full distance?

Okay, I'll look into the voltages.

When disconnected, yes, I can move the x-axis without problem. There doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with the printer.
June 07, 2015 04:19AM
Steppers donĀ“t have a potmeter.
Please refer to it as a "driver". That makes it easier to follow your description.
Thanks...

Do you have a LCD Screen? What does it say about position, when you manually pressed the x-home switch? (0,0,0 or 200,0,0?)
When the stepper tries to run further although it hits the endswitch, it is usually defined the wrong way or is not connected to the right port on the controlboard.
-Olaf
June 08, 2015 02:21PM
I also have a folgertech Prusa i3 and had a similar problem. Unfortunately, you probably have blown pins on the Arduino Mega. I had an assembly oops - it is easy to plug something backwards. The controller is very intolerant of miswiring. I replaced the controller and two of the motor driver boards and now everything is working. Plugging the end stop connector backwards will definately blow the Arduino.

Valerie
June 08, 2015 10:13PM
valerieflyer
I also have a folgertech Prusa i3 and had a similar problem. Unfortunately, you probably have blown pins on the Arduino Mega. I had an assembly oops - it is easy to plug something backwards. The controller is very intolerant of miswiring.

Valerie

Sorry, I was out of town for Sunday.

There's only a very slim chance I plugged anything in backwards. I double-checked everything, set up the pins and stops correctly, and used a static-safe workstation for handling the parts. It's possible the board is busted, as either USPS or my importer took a pretty liberal definition of "fragile".

I've just checked the voltages on the controllers, and they're fine. I'm curious about the tuning instructions, I think they'd go much better if they suggested using a common ground point and then using the + lead on the DMM in one hand and the ceramic screwdriver in the other, but Folgertech must know something I don't.

When the voltages are set to ~ the suggested voltages (slightly over) there is no change in behaviour. Y and Z are fine, X jerks.

I do have the LCD screen, there is no change to status when the home switch is hit manually. The lights are on, but the LCD display is not changing. It's now saying "endstops hit: X" when it's in the middle of the X rail, X limit light is off.

In Repetier's log, when it's in the middle of the track, it hits some kind of virtual home switch in the air and Repetier's log states "endstops hit X: -50.00", then iterates through a few other values, 49.99, 49.97 ... 49.94 as I press the travel on the right axis. Then if I press the left button, the carriage will move, then if I press the rightwards travel button again, I'll get "endstops hit X: -54.85".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2015 10:15PM by Unshockable.
June 18, 2015 10:39PM
Hello
I just recieved my Folgertech 2020 i3 kit Monday, Completed the build Wed. I am having the exact same issues " Unshockable " Wonderfully described, I mean right down to the I have no experience with 3d Print world, Nor do I Know the Language I can Understand it will be very important to learn it . I will add that Everytime I press the X axis home button the extruder moves to the left or minus side .
Thanks
June 19, 2015 12:53AM
I just found this link pertaining to this problem, I do not see where to plug the end stops into as this gentleman describes, Maybe one of you guys have better understanding hope this Helps
[forums.reprap.org]
June 25, 2015 12:09PM
Thank-you "MindRealm"

Once i figured out where Min./Max. plug in for my endstops
I followed his advice, Problem solved
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login