Posted by john stocks 
how do i wire my psu to my heated bed
June 17, 2015 04:36PM
hi noobie here lol

just wondering how i would wire up a [www.ebay.co.uk]

to my heat bed not sure were the wires go.from the bed to the unit
Re: how do i wire my psu to my heated bed
June 17, 2015 09:18PM
Are you serious running a 3d printer with heated bed at 20a psu? Also are you sure to wire up the heated bed directly to the psu?

2 things about my questions above
1. Heated bed can pull up to around 15a during heat up depending on the wire length and its size
2. Heated bed will heat up and continue to burn itself the moment you turn on that psu and thus will melt/burn your heated bed. (an analogy, pressing the gas to the floor when starting engine without letting it go)
June 18, 2015 05:34AM
sarf2k4
Are you serious running a 3d printer with heated bed at 20a psu? Also are you sure to wire up the heated bed directly to the psu?

1. Heated bed can pull up to around 15a during heat up depending on the wire length and its size
2. Heated bed will heat up and continue to burn itself the moment you turn on that psu and thus will melt/burn your heated bed. (an analogy, pressing the gas to the floor when starting engine without letting it go)

I have never heard such a BS...eye rolling smiley

This 200W PSU is easily able to power a common 100W heated bed. ( 8.3Amps @12V )

Back to the question:
Many people power their heated bed directly from the PSU, but they use a relais switched by the controller ( RAMPS, or whatever ) to keep the desired temperature.
Just wire the relais to the heat-bed port and the thermistor to the appropriate temp-probe connector.
Then use bang-bang mode or slow PWM in your firmware and you´re done.
-Olaf
June 18, 2015 10:00AM
thanks i give that a try
June 18, 2015 10:02AM
o_lampe
sarf2k4

I have never heard such a BS...eye rolling smiley

This 200W PSU is easily able to power a common 100W heated bed. ( 8.3Amps @12V )

Back to the question:
Many people power their heated bed directly from the PSU, but they use a relais switched by the controller ( RAMPS, or whatever ) to keep the desired temperature.
Just wire the relais to the heat-bed port and the thermistor to the appropriate temp-probe connector.
Then use bang-bang mode or slow PWM in your firmware and you´re done.
-Olaf

thank you i give it a try
June 18, 2015 08:29PM
Well, I only assume that the TS doesn't have an idea to use relay or something
June 22, 2015 09:49PM
thanks guys have my heater bed wired and working now
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login