Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 Z Axis upgrade to TR leadscrew 8mm

Posted by Govahnator 
Prusa i3 Z Axis upgrade to TR leadscrew 8mm
June 25, 2015 11:53AM
Hi guys,

I just ordered 2 NEMA 17's with integrated TR leadscrew (8mm) for my Z axis.

I am switching from 5 mm rods because i cant find straight rods, so i keep having a wobble wich i am pretty sure is caused because of these bend rods.

So i am hoping these Nema 17's with integrated rod will fix the issue i have.

What do you guys think of this upgrade ? The fact they are integrated are an advantage over using couplers right?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 11:54AM by Govahnator.
Re: Prusa i3 Z Axis upgrade to TR leadscrew 8mm
June 25, 2015 06:26PM
They arrive tommorow, il keep you guys up to date.

Feel free to share your opinion/experience
June 25, 2015 10:35PM
Oh,I meet such difficulty before!And i get help from [www.3dminions.com] try it!
June 26, 2015 09:20AM
Govahnator
They arrive tommorow, il keep you guys up to date.

Feel free to share your opinion/experience

Im interested in hearing your results, i also believe that having an intergrated leadscrew nema 17 will improve peformance vs nema 17 with coupler.
Can you provide a link or specification of what you bought?
cheers
josh
June 26, 2015 01:26PM
Hi Josh,

At the moment i am printing the necessary parts for the leadscrews.

Here is the link of the motors i bought

[www.charlies3dtechnologies.com]
June 26, 2015 02:26PM
The more integrated and stiffer the sub systems become the more precise the next higher assembly needs to be. Take the case of the stepping motor and the integral lead screw. These lead screws will need to be installed and adjusted with a higher degree of parallelism than the 5 mm rod which could bend if necessary to follow the vertical guide rod. There could also be some movement at the bottom end due to the coupling. Now everything needs to be better aligned to avoid binding or you have to allow the nut to move in the X&Y axes to compensate for any non parallelism of the screw shaft and the vertical ground rod.

I tried to straighten my 5mm threaded rods and was quite successful with one of them showing almost no wobble and the other is not touching the edge of the guide hole at the top. I also had to straighten the 8mm rods and reduced their bend to +/- 0.002 inched..

All in all the lack of precision and softness of these assemblies allows them to work as well as they do in my humble opinion.
June 27, 2015 10:46AM
Thanks for your post Ecky,

I agree with you,
if i didn't have any problems with the 5 mm rods i would not change them,

The improvement is probably not worth the cash (not tested yet). But since i keep having trouble with these 5mm i am fed up and decided to get these.
June 27, 2015 04:51PM
I am surprised to hear the 5 mm rods are giving you issues. I have an i2 I built and finally got dialed in and I used it to print my i3 parts. I am 90% of the way through my i3 build and my X axis seems to be rock solid. Nothing budges. I'm not really seeing how those 5mm rods are going to find a way to move the axis. Does your carriage or xends move even a little if you try to wiggle them?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login