Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Retraction issues

Posted by gatorNic 
Retraction issues
June 30, 2015 06:51PM
My prints are starting to come around but I seem to be having retraction issues. Attached a pic, you should see the the "little divots" line up exactly with the retraction points that are shown in the light blue on the right. Tried different slicers, same problem but different retraction points.

--Anybody recommended settings to adjust?

Here is what I have tried (no change at all):
-Before I realized it was at specific retraction points I was playing with temp, from 180 to 210.
-Once I made the connection I tried changing speed retraction speed 4000mm/min (66mm/s) to 1800mm/min (30mm/s)
-Retraction distance 3mm to .8mm

Other stats:
.4mm nozzle
.3mm layer height
40mm/s speed overall, 60% outer
20% infill
2 perimeter shells
Attachments:
open | download - retraction.jpg (325 KB)
Re: Retraction issues
June 30, 2015 08:42PM
Is that some kind of gcode preview on the 'preview mode' of your picture? What program?
July 01, 2015 04:43AM
I found the ultimaker troubleshooting guide very useful to find the right parameters.

My retract speed is higher ( 60mm/s ) and also longer ( 4.5mm ), but that depends on your hotend.
I also raise z-axis after retraction about 0.2mm. Don´t know, if that´s an option in your host-sw?
-Olaf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2015 04:49AM by o_lampe.
July 01, 2015 09:09PM
sarf2k4
Is that some kind of gcode preview on the 'preview mode' of your picture? What program?

Yes. Its Simplfy3d, you can turn on view retractions. You can also do the same thing in Mattercontrol's Layer View. Just have to turn it on.

I found the ultimaker troubleshooting guide very useful to find the right parameters.

My retract speed is higher ( 60mm/s ) and also longer ( 4.5mm ), but that depends on your hotend.
I also raise z-axis after retraction about 0.2mm. Don´t know, if that´s an option in your host-sw?
-Olaf

I'll take a look. Yeah I can adjust those settings. I did on a couple of them. I will continue to fiddle with them. Its a mk8 direct feed hotend. Thanks
July 01, 2015 10:22PM
So I forced the retractions all to the rear to line them up, maybe see them better. Take a look at the new attached pic. It look as if the beginning of the line has a slight blob and the end of the line doesn't get enough. I understand you probably going to get a seam whether you like it or not, but I think I can still reduce it.

What settings would give me less extrusion at the beginning, more at the end?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2015 10:22PM by gatorNic.
Attachments:
open | download - retractionsBack.jpg (340 KB)
July 02, 2015 10:09AM
Are you sure, you have your belt tension right?
You can try to print it very slow or reduce x+y acceleration ( say from 9000 to 6000mm/s^2 ) , but with the same retract settings. See if that helps.
-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2015 10:11AM by o_lampe.
July 02, 2015 01:25PM
o_lampe
Are you sure, you have your belt tension right?
You can try to print it very slow or reduce x+y acceleration ( say from 9000 to 6000mm/s^2 ) , but with the same retract settings. See if that helps.
-Olaf

Can belts be too tight? I made sure they were nice and tight a few days ago, Y was good, X needed some.

What settings would give me less extrusion at the beginning, more at the end?

So based on my prior assumption I scoured for some settings that might do the above. I was able to find something and I saw marked improvement. A small negative Extra Restart Distance for reducing blobs at the beginning of the line and a correct Wipe Nozzle and Vertical lift to help at the end of the line. I thought wipe was set, but I am not sure I had the correct thing checked.

So anyway attached photos (before on the left, after on right). Can really see the difference in the rear photo and while not perfect the front shows improvement. Settings I changed or added:
Retraction distance change 1mm -> 2mm
Added Extra Restart Distance of -.1mm
Retraction vertical lift of .2mm
Made sure Wipe Nozzle was on with 5mm
and "Force retraction between layers" was on
Attachments:
open | download - beforeAndAfter1.jpg (264.2 KB)
open | download - beforeAndAfter2.jpg (256.2 KB)
July 02, 2015 01:31PM
That looks better smiling smiley
I wish, I had such a smooth backside winking smiley
-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login