Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

P3 steel and I3 rework rp.

Posted by Dark Alchemist 
P3 steel and I3 rework rp.
July 03, 2015 08:02AM
Will a p3 steel accept the i3 rework's plastic parts? I think it may but not sure about the extruder holder on the X rods because that has to be the plastic one (for now) as I have a defunct printer and I am trying to get something up and working (I want to salvage as much as I can from this junky printer). Once it is up and running I would just print the real i3 parts if needed though a 3mm steel extruder holder must weight a tad bit and that wouldn't be good I think.

Does anyone know?

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
Re: P3 steel and I3 rework rp.
July 03, 2015 11:07AM
I have a rework and I'm building a steel. It looks to me like the X and Y stuff (Minus the motor mounts and upper rod mounts) will fit nicely (the plastic parts that is) including extruder and carriage. The smooth rods should be good to go if you have a steel v2.01 as they are standard size rework rods. The v2.0 actually using 241mm rods according to the Wiki I'm following. I actually don't see a problem and as I build out mine using standard rework things from Thingieverse I haven't run into anything that would tell me otherwise except electronic mounts which differ slightly. E.G. Power supply mounts, Ramps box mounts.
July 03, 2015 01:09PM
My ramps mounts on the aluminum frame so where does it on the steel? This is the one I am looking at but it doesn't say exactly what it is: [www.ebay.com] I think this is 2.0 not 2.01 so not interested but I cannot find a dealer for the steel anywhere in the states or anyone who will not chew off my legs to ship one to the states.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2015 01:12PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
July 03, 2015 01:56PM
You can find the p3steel version from Andrew on thingiverse. Then look for a local shop to build one for you. No overseas shipping grinning smiley
-Olaf
July 03, 2015 02:29PM
o_lampe
You can find the p3steel version from Andrew on thingiverse. Then look for a local shop to build one for you. No overseas shipping grinning smiley
-Olaf
Trust me when my local shops wanted 1400-1800 dollars to cut my i3 rework's aluminum frame I would never ever call any of my local shops to do a p3steel. sad smiley

_______
July 03, 2015 04:51PM
Hi there,
For the RAMPS mount on the P3Steel frame you can find my proposed solution on Thingiverse: [www.thingiverse.com]

The Arduino + RAMPS assembly just slides in from the top and stays in place. You can then add a fan using any of the fan brackets which are also available on Thingiverse.

The P3Steel accepts most of the printed parts from most Prusa i3 variants because they all have a similar "gene base". However, if you check my designs on Thingiverse you'll notice that I have designed or redesigned the totality of the printed parts, optimized for the P3Steel. And you can always modify whatever doesn't suit your particular setup, since the sources are available.

Regarding the availability of the 2.01 frame, unfortunately the pilot batch was only for 10 pieces and I have not had the occasion to have more of them lasercut. However, I am trying at the moment to get a group buy of 50+ P3Steel 2.5 DXL frames going, with the same quality finish as I managed to get for the 2.01 frames: the parts are lasercut from excellent quality structural steel, then sandblasted, then chemically cleaned and finally zinc plated. And I personally supervise the entire process.

PM me if you are interested in one of these 2.5 DXL frames. Otherwise there are a number of places in Spain that sell 2.0 frames with varying prices and finish levels.
July 03, 2015 05:38PM
AndrewBCN

PM me if you are interested in one of these 2.5 DXL frames. Otherwise there are a number of places in Spain that sell 2.0 frames with varying prices and finish levels.

Crack dealer! tongue sticking out smiley
July 03, 2015 06:39PM
Viper97
AndrewBCN

Crack dealer! tongue sticking out smiley

Hehe! grinning smiley
July 03, 2015 07:28PM
I am in the US and the only real thing I care about on 2.01 vs 2.0 is the extra 9mm of Y. We need some US dealers but nary a one.

_______
July 03, 2015 08:51PM
I have a p3steel direct from Orballo website from spain that is version 2.0 I've ended up stripping my frame. Firstly because a non-slip mat stuck to it like glue, attempting to remove that destroyed the paint. It's not galvanized, After chemical stripping, rust formed within minutes of touching water. seems I have it under control after drying on a radiator. there is some filing / sanding before spraying. This will be the first time spraying anything. there are some small rust spots inside the bolt / nut cutouts.
The steel rods are not that great, length differences are substantial, and threaded rods are slightly bent. Could not screw a nut on any - all the ends where over grinded.

Your printed extruder carriage should work ok, I upgraded to a metal X carriage Prusa i3 from china and it has the same space between X rod bearing as the printed carriage for p3steel.

Differences in printed proteins may alter rod length. I'm not sure though.
Centre of nema motor and 8mm smooth rod on the p3steel is roughly 17mm, Is there a standard between variants as that could impact compatibility.

you only need 2 longer smooth rods. If it is a version 2.0 p3steel 370mm may still work as you would use it for X on a p3steel I dont know If difference to your i3 rework parts would alter that requirement.

Prusa i3 Rework
2x Smooth rod Ø8x320 mm X-Axis
2x Smooth rod Ø8x350 mm Y-Axis
2x Smooth rod Ø8x370 mm Z-Axis
2x Threaded rod M5x300 mm

P3STEEL RODS
2x Ø8x375 mm X-Axis
2x Ø8x341 mm Y-Axis
2x Ø8x320 mm Z-Axis
2x Threaded rod M5x295 mm

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2015 08:57PM by Xecut0r.
July 03, 2015 09:27PM
i3 Rework is 370mm for X and 320mm for Z. 5mm for X wouldn't matter much but that 9mm on Y is a deal breaker as you would have to have rods hanging out AND the print capacity would change as the bed would not have near as much travel capacity in the Y direction.

Not sure I like thesound of all of that rust crap because here I am suffering 76-80% humidity for 4 months of the year (right now) and had to buy a evadry 333 to stick in a box with my filament. it managed to drop it to 28% but it is raining here and it went up to 29% but the goal is 18%. The filament is surely wet so it will slowly remove the moisture from them but all of my printer is Aluminum or stainless except for the 10mm all threads which is zinc plated (washers and nuts for the 10mm are zinc plated as well). Black oxide I first had was rusted within 2 weeks.

_______
July 04, 2015 03:29AM
Dark Alchemist
o_lampe
-Olaf
Trust me when my local shops wanted 1400-1800 dollars to cut my i3 rework's aluminum frame I would never ever call any of my local shops to do a p3steel. sad smiley

You could try this section:
Job Shop
-Olaf
July 09, 2015 09:48PM
I have a P3 frame in stainless that I am collecting the other parts for. The parts are waiting to be deburred and then I can start assembling them. I have the rods and hardware and a few electronic bits. I need motors, belts, pulleys, bearings, plastic bits and a power supply.

Orballo will send the steel frames to the US for a reasonable price if someone wants one. I am sure you could get them cut in North America but it would be on a sheet of steel basis and not one and two at a time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2015 09:52PM by Ecky.
July 10, 2015 04:36AM
Start a group buy in U.S.
July 21, 2015 10:05AM
Here is another P3 Steel variant, with LCD built in:
[createc3d.com]
July 21, 2015 11:32AM
RRuser
Here is another P3 Steel variant, with LCD built in:
[createc3d.com]

Funny how they call it steel, but is a aluminum frame grinning smiley
-Olaf
July 21, 2015 11:53AM
Sorry I gave the aluminum link. Here is the steel:

[createc3d.com]
July 21, 2015 05:16PM
I too have the Orballo steel frame, I ordered the rods as well, but wish I hadn't bothered as they are garbage. My migbot rods are much better, I'm hoping they will fit.
I already have lead screws on the migbot, so wanted to use those instead of the 5mm threaded rods. I have had to print new x ends as the migbot ones have the lead screw and smooth rod offset instead of being inline in the x direction.
I still need to buy some more bits before I carry out the conversion, anyone looked at what needs changing in Marlin, I have the large bed migbot, not sure I'll still have the same y travel with the steel frame.
July 29, 2015 10:19PM
I ordered the motors, belts, bearings and couplers for my Orballo Stainless build. I am going to use a Bowden extruder for this one.. Anyone have any recommendations on which type?
November 02, 2015 08:30PM
I'm going with the v2.5 frame because of the possibility of dual bowden extruders at some point. I want to make sure I have the rod sizes correct and especially the threaded rods because the size is the same on the BOM but the frame is 10mm taller.

X axis = 385mm
Y axis = 350mm
Z axis = 330mm
Threaded rod = 295mm according to wiki but shouldn't it be 305mm to account for the additional 10mm in height?
December 05, 2015 09:23AM
2x Ø8x375 mm for the X-Axis. (385mm for version 2.5)

Directly from P3Steel BOM page. The increase of 10 mm checks out. The v2.01 and earlier use 375mm.

Edit: oops I didn't see that this was 6 weeks ago... Sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2015 09:24AM by Justsomeguy1983.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login