Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OK I know I'm dumb

Posted by stubaz 
OK I know I'm dumb
August 26, 2015 06:29AM
Hi, I've almost completed a build of the latest Prusa I3 from SunHokey. I know the motors which raise and lower the extruder etc are the X axis but nobody mentions which one is motor X1 or motor X2 ?

Also which are the other 2 axis (or is it Axi ??) The one which drives the hot bed backwards and forwards is which Axis and the one which moves the extruder etc. left and right is which motor ?

I need this info to plug everything into the controller board. The video which shows the build has no audio (except irritating music) so it's no help describing which is what.

One final question, I have 3 small heatsinks left over from the build. Nothing tells me where these go. I assumed thy's go on transistors, but I can't find any to suit. Does anyone know what they're for please ?

PLease forgive my dumb questions, my only excuse is I'm 66 years of age and I've never built anything like this before. I'm just trying to keep up with technology and give my Grandson a surprise before I kick the bucket.

Thanks in advance for any help received. regards Stu
Re: OK I know I'm dumb
August 26, 2015 07:56AM
If it goes up and down it's the Z axis, if it goes back and forth it's the y axis and if it goes left to right it's the x axis. More than likely they are heat sinks for the stepper drivers that plug into the RAMPS board. Hopefully they came with some sort of tape to stick on the little chip on the driver board. If not I've dabbed a bit of superglue or thermal paste on them to stick them in place.
August 26, 2015 09:36AM
Thank you Viper, the quickest answer I've had. OK you made it sound simple, I like it that way :-) You're right the heatsinks do have an adhesive backing. I wonder if they stick to the small square ICs, or is there a transistor underneath them?

Thank you for your help, please excuse my dumbness. This sure has been a challenge and I haven't even got to installing the drivers yet. I usually fall over when it comes to them. Well actually it's the darned computer which hates new drivers. But that's for tomorrow, I've spent most of this afternoon shortening all those wires, I have enough left over to build another printer. I hate wires lying around. I was wondering if it could cause the power supply or controller board to overheat. Being so thin and so long they could offer more resistance than they should, especially when it comes to heaters. Anyway you've solved my problems, I appreciate your help. regards Stu
August 26, 2015 11:16AM
Small black square or rectangle on the top of the board. Nothing goes under the board where the pins are. If it helps I'm also a wiring fanatic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2015 11:33AM by Viper97.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login