Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to the Printing World

Posted by TylerDSAudi 
New to the Printing World
September 20, 2015 01:11AM
Hello, Im new to the whole 3D printing world, but have been following it for couple years now but didn't want to start until they got better designed, more affordable and mostly until i could put the time i wanted into learning! SO now i finally made the jump and bought a cheap china kit just to start, to see if i really like 3D printing and one to tinker with. I ended up with the Reprap Prusa i3! [www.aliexpress.com]

I was very happy with the packaging, building was around 6 hours in total, but i have some questions! BTW I've done a lot of playing so far and reading, but i still want different answers and ideas!

1) The printer will hit the end stops, but not stop. Now this could be the stoppers, wiring or i see it has steppers disabled?

2) Using, Repiter for a printer program and the printer connects, but sits in idle mode. Doesn't let me do anything from the program. Is there an easier or better programmer to be using?

3) When i go on the printer it moves around all motors work how they should, but like said before stops do not stop it, only Y stop for the print bed stops. X and Z do not. Could this do with the firmware, idk what to download i see marlin around a lot, but when i did try Cura, it did bring the printer up to right settings, move it and all, but problem was no end stops were working so couldn't print proper

Ill have more questions, but this should get me going for now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2015 01:13AM by TylerDSAudi.
Re: New to the Printing World
September 20, 2015 05:44AM
Hi,

1/ impossible to say actualy. But check your Marlin's settings first.
2/ repetier is one of the best program, it should work
I'm affraid the problem you've got may happens with other host softwares.
You need to find what's wrong first. Alternatives : Cura, Pronterface...
3/ see point 1/

You bought a good price. Cheap kits can be desapointing
and probably make your experience of 3D printing unpleasant
and definitely expensive with endless upgrades.
A good kit is delivered with good components,
precise building instructions, and an upload and play firmware.

Check if your endstops are on the right side of the axis,
and/or tell Marlin how to deal with your endstops position.

++JM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2015 05:45AM by J-Max.
September 20, 2015 02:29PM
Marlin and Cura are two totally different things! I think, before you plug the printer back in, you need to sit down and start reading as much of these forums and documentation as possible. Your printer should have come with Arduino software and instructions on how to load it and configure it. I could possibly just be a link to a webpage where you go to get it.
September 20, 2015 02:42PM
tjnamtiw
Marlin and Cura are two totally different things! I think, before you plug the printer back in, you need to sit down and start reading as much of these forums and documentation as possible. Your printer should have come with Arduino software and instructions on how to load it and configure it. I could possibly just be a link to a webpage where you go to get it.

Hello, It didn't come with much, the bare minimum. I agree i will be reading more and looking around, but i think i need this "Ardunio software" I haven't done this yet. All it come with was building instructions, levelling instructions and the link to download repitier. Please link me the webpage if you can thanks!
September 20, 2015 02:44PM
J-Max
Hi,

1/ impossible to say actualy. But check your Marlin's settings first.
2/ repetier is one of the best program, it should work
I'm affraid the problem you've got may happens with other host softwares.
You need to find what's wrong first. Alternatives : Cura, Pronterface...
3/ see point 1/

You bought a good price. Cheap kits can be desapointing
and probably make your experience of 3D printing unpleasant
and definitely expensive with endless upgrades.
A good kit is delivered with good components,
precise building instructions, and an upload and play firmware.

Check if your endstops are on the right side of the axis,
and/or tell Marlin how to deal with your endstops position.

++JM

Hello, Thanks for the good reply. How do i use or go along with this Marlin settings, i keep seeing this everywhere, but i don't think I have it or downloaded it yet? What does this do? I knew this would be a task buying a cheaper printer, but i just wanted to play around until spending the big bucks! What the best mid level quality printer you can get into without remortgaging your house?!?! tongue sticking out smiley haha
September 20, 2015 03:09PM
I just had a look at your Aliexpress machine. That control board is completely different from mine. I have no idea what it is. I have no idea if it is even running a form of Arduino firmware. One person commented that everything was on the SD card that came with it. Perhaps there's a copy of the firmware on there?

I have bought quite a few things from Aliexpress and only had one major disappointment. I hope this isn't yours! I would start a dialog with the seller. Did you give them the acknowledgement that you were satisfied? If not, you are still in a bargaining position.
September 20, 2015 06:07PM
1) use an M119 in repetier (or pronterface) to check the status of your end stops, could be wiring or firmware settings.

2) Can't help with repetier as I use Pronterface, you could try that, but it essentially does the same thing as Repetier

3) Marlin is the most popular firmware for i3/repraps, if you can connect to the printer and move the axis around then yours probably came pre-loaded with it?
You may eventually want to customize and load your own firmware onto the Arduino if you want to calibrate and tune the printer.
Cura is used to slice models - you are better off using Pronterface or Repetier to control the printer

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
September 20, 2015 11:19PM
tjnamtiw
I just had a look at your Aliexpress machine. That control board is completely different from mine. I have no idea what it is. I have no idea if it is even running a form of Arduino firmware. One person commented that everything was on the SD card that came with it. Perhaps there's a copy of the firmware on there?

I have bought quite a few things from Aliexpress and only had one major disappointment. I hope this isn't yours! I would start a dialog with the seller. Did you give them the acknowledgement that you were satisfied? If not, you are still in a bargaining position.

Hello, Yeah these seems to have a new board for all the electronics then everyone else, must be a new upgrade? It came with an SD card, but did have firmware on it, so maybe i will download Marlin? How do i use this?

I have bought over 310 products on Aliexpress..... Im usually very happy with their stuff. I just messaged the seller, so how helpful they are.
September 20, 2015 11:20PM
SteveRoy
1) use an M119 in repetier (or pronterface) to check the status of your end stops, could be wiring or firmware settings.

2) Can't help with repetier as I use Pronterface, you could try that, but it essentially does the same thing as Repetier

3) Marlin is the most popular firmware for i3/repraps, if you can connect to the printer and move the axis around then yours probably came pre-loaded with it?
You may eventually want to customize and load your own firmware onto the Arduino if you want to calibrate and tune the printer.
Cura is used to slice models - you are better off using Pronterface or Repetier to control the printer

Ill try the Pronterface and see if i can see my end stops. I also want to try this program, as maybe i will like the interface more. I will try to download that firmware to see if that helps anymore. I would love to later on do those fine tuning to my printer so it has the settings it needs.
September 21, 2015 12:17AM
So i did some finishing touches on my printer, I really wanna get this thing printer, but i just can't connect to this thing! In Repitier it says connected and its on Auto Scroll and I can see its communicating with coding and every second line is "ok" but the printer is stuck in Idle. If i hit a X valvue or anything on the Print panel it will just add to the commands " 2 commands" and shoot right back to idle. The only way i can heat the bed or extruder is through the printer LCD Board. What do i need to do to be able to get this thing to work with the printer soft ware? Questions:

1) Can someone link me a really good tutorial on how to use Arduino software to upload the Marlin firmware? It looks to me like Arduino is the coding software and the Marlin is the firmware for the setting for the printers correct?

2) With this printer in Idle, can i still check the end stops with repitper like said above? I can't seem to figure that part out?

You guys have all been great! I really thank you a lot for your replies and time on this! I really wanna get this thing printer and get it running smooth
September 21, 2015 12:47AM
Might be a Melzi board.

And this might help:
[reprap.org]
September 21, 2015 02:43AM
RRuser
Might be a Melzi board.

And this might help:
[reprap.org]

correct it is, just got an email back
September 21, 2015 04:14AM
Hi,

Watch this : Firmware basics
There's probably something to learn winking smiley

++JM
September 21, 2015 12:20PM
I also emailed the seller of your printer and this is the response I just got. RRuser is right.

''Lally Pink: Hello , it is used Melzi board , the firmware is not Arduino, it is repetier ''

The second part about not being Arduino is interesting. Did something get lost in 'translation'?
September 21, 2015 04:31PM
You are probably right about the translation. Repeteir firmware is perfectly good configuration details can be found here [www.repetier.com]

If you have the file from the SD card upload it to the web site and you will be able to walk through all of the details with explanations of what each setting does.

Details of the Melzi can be found here [reprap.org]
September 21, 2015 04:49PM
paultnl
You are probably right about the translation. Repeteir firmware is perfectly good configuration details can be found here [www.repetier.com]

If you have the file from the SD card upload it to the web site and you will be able to walk through all of the details with explanations of what each setting does.

Details of the Melzi can be found here [reprap.org]

That's good info for Tyler. Thanks. Actually, that printer he got looks pretty darn good for the money!
September 22, 2015 12:36AM
Hello Everyone, thanks for the research and replies.

I pulled out my old powerful Acer and I'm going to try to upload Repitier and the drivers on it and see if this printer likes PC better then MAC, maybe the drivers aren't installing right on MAC?

Im pretty sure from what i read from the seller, everything comes uploaded on the board and once you install the Software for printer (repetier) and drivers install automatically on PC.

Printer kit i think was a steal! Just about $340 with exchange in CAD and custom fees, for a big printer and really nice parts from what i see online and my first printer, just have to work out the bugs!
September 23, 2015 09:32AM
Customs fees? How much were they? I have never paid customs fees for any electronics shipped to me here in the US from Aliexpress.
September 24, 2015 04:52PM
tjnamtiw
Customs fees? How much were they? I have never paid customs fees for any electronics shipped to me here in the US from Aliexpress.

Yes most packages that are bigger coming into Canada from China i have to pay Customs, Its not too much around $20, but still $20. It has to be a bigger box though, all my other stuff from China doesn't get taxed.
September 24, 2015 06:50PM
TylerDSAudi
tjnamtiw

Yes most packages that are bigger coming into Canada from China i have to pay Customs, Its not too much around $20, but still $20. It has to be a bigger box though, all my other stuff from China doesn't get taxed.

Interesting! In a past life (when I worked) I had to deal with Canadian Customs a few times................... Not a lick of common sense is the best way to describe it. hot smiley
September 26, 2015 04:21PM
Well guys, Ive tried everything to get this printer going and It just won't! Getting little frustrated! lol, I knew it would be this way with a cheaper DIY kit. What are other options you can buy that are more user friendly?
September 26, 2015 07:01PM
Have you dove in depth into that motherboard style and its language? Forget all about Arduino and Marlin, from what I've read.

You can also argue with the seller and work out a deal to get at least some of your money back. Or, they have another slightly more expensive printer that uses Arduino and the Ramps board plus it has auto--leveling and the upgraded Z axis screws/brass nuts. Maybe they could cut you a REAL GOOD deal on that one. If not, I would seriously look at the Folger Tech 2020, from the good ole USA.

Let the people know here if your DOA machine is for sale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2015 07:06PM by tjnamtiw.
September 27, 2015 01:03AM
tjnamtiw
Have you dove in depth into that motherboard style and its language? Forget all about Arduino and Marlin, from what I've read.

You can also argue with the seller and work out a deal to get at least some of your money back. Or, they have another slightly more expensive printer that uses Arduino and the Ramps board plus it has auto--leveling and the upgraded Z axis screws/brass nuts. Maybe they could cut you a REAL GOOD deal on that one. If not, I would seriously look at the Folger Tech 2020, from the good ole USA.

Let the people know here if your DOA machine is for sale.

Hello, i was thinking of refreshing it maybe?

yes i will be selling it, not cause its bad or something wrong with it, cause i just wanna print lol

[www.newegg.ca]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2015 01:03AM by TylerDSAudi.
September 27, 2015 03:51PM
Why not just get a standard RAMPS 1.4 board, there are plenty of How To's and help for setting up what is a basic Prusa machine. The hardware all looks OK and you will probably find it simple to make the change. Worst case some connectors would need to be rewired.

If you are checking eBay or Amazon don't go for the first one you see as the price for varies a lot for the same kit. If you can wait for delivery from China, I have used this guy for very reasonably priced kit [www.ebay.co.uk]
September 27, 2015 04:08PM
paultnl
Why not just get a standard RAMPS 1.4 board, there are plenty of How To's and help for setting up what is a basic Prusa machine. The hardware all looks OK and you will probably find it simple to make the change. Worst case some connectors would need to be rewired.

If you are checking eBay or Amazon don't go for the first one you see as the price for varies a lot for the same kit. If you can wait for delivery from China, I have used this guy for very reasonably priced kit [www.ebay.co.uk]

Hello, If i do not sell this machine, i might go this route and upgrade to a different board.

Right now I'm looking at all the options and seem to like the XYZ Da Vinci 1.0 the most. Seems to have the best price, set up, auto levelling bed ext.. Only thing to get around is 3rd party the loading cartiages.
September 28, 2015 03:14PM
auto bed leveling is easy to set up on your machine one of the many easy and cheap upgrades upgrades available for the Prusa I3. I am just about to fit one of these to mine [www.pibot.com]
December 22, 2015 01:25PM
I just went through the same hassles with my $320 Sunhokey Prusa i3 kit. Open Repetier and try different baudrate settings. That got me going. And switching usb ports. I thing I ended up with 115200 or something like that. It varies with the different boards and maybe with different firmware.

Once you can communicate with the printer and jog the print head around, you are halfway there. My printer is singing to me right now, printing up some stuff for work. A couple of days ago I was nearly ready to throw in the towel but it seems to be working fine, now.

The limit switches might be wired wrong. If the wires from the switches terminate in a 3 pin or 4 pin connector, check and make sure that it isnt turned the wrong way. Most plugs cant be turned the wrong way but some can.

Does a red LED come on, on the little pcb containing the limit switch? When you test it, by pressing on it with your finger? And are you certain that you have all three connected to the correct ports on the controller board?

These Chinese kits have horrible documentation. Mine was nothing but a video with no narration, and especially the wiring and setup part were no use at all. I was impressed by how precisely the acrylic parts were cut, though.

GrowleyMonster
Honemeister, Razorsmith, EV guy. Go ahead, ask me something.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login