Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't connect to Arduino anymore??confused smiley

Posted by Ecky 
Can't connect to Arduino anymore??confused smiley
September 20, 2015 10:12AM
I have a Mega2560 that I used to be able to connect to with my laptop. It won't accept files anymore, can't up load them. It says it can't open communications. It worked for a while after my changeover to Win 10 and then stopped. I can upload with my desktop however. Both Win 10 machines. Anyone have any ideas??
Re: Can't connect to Arduino anymore??confused smiley
September 20, 2015 10:29AM
Try unplugging it to the board, unplugging it from the USB, and resetting it a couplke of times. Also, go to Arduino.cc for further help
September 20, 2015 02:43PM
sounds like it can be a computer driver issue? Make sure you have usb driver first, and try connecting to a different usb connection
September 21, 2015 07:13AM
Tried that. When it is connected to the desktop box the board shows only one green light. When connected to the laptop it shows the yellow AREF light as well and occasionally flashes the RxTx lights. I have tried pushing the reset button for up to 10 seconds with power on or off but no change.

Any thoughts, anyone??
September 21, 2015 07:56AM
Hi,

Try from another computer.

++JM
September 21, 2015 12:55PM
Sounds like my arduino nano that arrived dead. It communicated with the serial chip but the microcontroller was dead. It occasionally lights up all the leds randomly. I tried reprogramming the mcu using another arduino to no avail. I've just replaced it and that would be my advice.
September 21, 2015 02:54PM
I've been connecting with my laptop for the last week several times a day as I get used to the printer and make changes. Today was the first day that I got an error that nothing was recognized on Com port 4 (my printer). It was ALSO the first time I plugged in the USB plug BEFORE I opened up my laptop and woke it up. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and went to printer settings in Repetier. I made sure Com4 was still selected and hit apply. Then I could connect.
September 26, 2015 07:08AM
Uninstalled some software but still having problems. These are the messages in yellow in the Arduino IDE.

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM3": Access is denied.

avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: The handle is invalid.

Tried a second board and it doesn't work either. The second board doesn't flash the TxRx lights and the AREF light is off on the laptop. It does however flash the AREF light on the desktop and doesn't load the software. This sucks.
Re: Can't connect to Arduino anymore??confused smiley SOLVEDsmileys with beer
September 26, 2015 04:40PM
It was a struggle but they are both working now. I set the flow control in the "Device Manager"/Ports/Arduino***/Port Settings/Flow Control to 'Hardware' and then tried load in an empty sketch. I also changed the comm port to the first unused one... If you need more info contact me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2015 05:56PM by Ecky.
Re: Can't connect to Arduino anymore??confused smiley SOLVEDsmileys with beer
November 23, 2015 05:37AM
I did what you said but it still sends the same error

avrdude: ser_open(): can't set com-state for "\\.\COM1"
avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: The handle is invalid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 05:40AM by dariush.
November 23, 2015 10:22AM
I really do not have a direct answer for you.

Did you power down the PC and restart before you plugged in the Arduino?

Eckhard.
November 26, 2015 08:57AM
I have three possible fixes:

. 1) check your version of the arduino IDE. I had issues once using an arduino that had the new firmware with an old version of the compiler. I had to re-flash the boot loader to get it to work.

2) I don't have a Windows computer anymore, so I don't quite remember how, but you can run programs as an administrator (try right clicking on the program).

3) This is the least elegant workaround ever, but you probably don't need to change your firmware that much so it shouldn't matter a whole lot. At very least it will let you keep printing while you try to fix the problem. But you can make a bootable thumbdrive of Linux. Plug it in and reboot, you will be able to run Linux entirely in your computers memory, then use the IDE on the Linux send your firmware to the arduino.

[www.ubuntu.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login