Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Electron 3D - Sixth Generation Prusa i3 Anyone?

Posted by FirstAvenger 
Re: Electron 3D - Sixth Generation Prusa i3 Anyone?
March 26, 2016 06:03PM
I`ve not got around to motors as of yet I'm still ironing the kinks with my 24v upgrade. I can tell you this about the mks base v1.3 as far as I'm aware it doesn't need separate stepper drivers ive not got them on mine and the pots you've mentioned are present. as with your X axis id try a motor from a different part of the print first one that you know is ok and see if there is any difference.

this is the board I have.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2016 06:05PM by wampablo.
March 27, 2016 06:43PM
I too purchased the same printer and I had similar hardware issues as others. I bought my replacement hardware at local retailers. I'm proud to say all is constructed and operates fine with the LCD control.
Here is where my story goes south. The MKS Base 1.2 v board was never flashed the correct configuration for the printer. It seeks max position on x and y axis making bumping noises when maxed. I am told that I can use arduino drivers and IDE to flash it but I cannot get the drivers to install on my win7 or win10 machines. Can someone steer me in the right direction on how to get me flashing this thing. Never buying a kit again!!!!!
March 28, 2016 06:16AM
I followed the instructions found here [reprap.org] seemed to work for me.
hope this helps. I also set my bed center in cura start g-code.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2016 06:17AM by wampablo.
March 28, 2016 09:36PM
thanks for the help wampablo. Those drivers got e in the front door.smileys with beer

Now the studying of code begins ... yes!
April 01, 2016 06:25PM
how are you getting on with this now ?
April 01, 2016 09:49PM
With your help I am talking with the printer and I have secured the original configuration.h file from electronand have flashed it so I have a starting point. Tried to print a calibration cube and experienced filament feed slip. I plan to analysis this tomorrow ... Checking feed path and guide bearing size. Fear I have an oversized feed bearing ... Making it so, that the feed gear cannot get a good bite. We shall see.

I plan to use cura with the mendal prusa 3i profile. May create my own version to fit.

Thanks for asking wampablo. Hope this message finds you well and printing! M
April 02, 2016 11:47AM
I don't know if I mentioned this already I had a lot of minor issues with mine but the answers have never been far away and I'm still finding them 12 month down the line. my latest acquisition have been z axis rods and couplings from [ooznest.co.uk] they have dramatically improved the print quality and I get very little banding now so maybe once you get yours up and printing this may be something to look into. my printer is now far from the original printer I bought from electron.
once you get it printing you should also look at printing your own spool holder I printed one that sits above my printer on its frame looks real good works well and frees up space on your desk plus I beleave in my opinion that its putting less of a strain on the extruder.
also do research you filament it make a big difference

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 11:52AM by wampablo.
Attachments:
open | download - printer1.jpg (522 KB)
April 02, 2016 12:11PM
I concur on the fact that this printer will be a "Labor of Love". I like the idea of the spool being overhead ... agree that there would be less strain.

I was thinking once I can make it reliable I wanted to look into dual extruders ... I will look into the bearings you mentioned ... they will likely be the answer to the added weight.

Being a newbie, I am lacking any and all knowledge of filament. Just one of the many tangents that I have to cover in this hobby. I did see on youtube where some guys are producing their own ... don't think I will ever go down that road.

Have you activated the autoleveler part yet? If so how is it working? Saw the coding and just did not want to tackle it yet.
April 02, 2016 01:28PM
I didn't go the auto leveling route with mine seemed far to much of a ball ache I leveled my bed the old fashion way. I have heard lots of reports that its not really that good but on the other hand the same amount of people swear by it. ive never had it so I cant commit to being any use with advice.

the only thing ive played around with is the Arduino code to calibrate the extruder and set my own temperatures for preparing.

you could try this link I got supplied from the guy that sold me my printer I got mine from ebay not the company itself.

[github.com]

might find some useful things on here.
April 04, 2016 10:01PM
Upgrades in progress on this Turkey......

So I went back to this after leaving for awhile, and while installing the new motors, I noticed something that I hadn't before, and I'm going to blame first timer syndrome for missing it.
During the motor upgrade, I noticed something. THe Z Axis rod on the right side, if I put it in the nut at the top of the frame, the rod would sit there and spin itself down all the way to the motor.
It was actually entertaining to watch.

The left side didn't. Curious, I manually twisted it down, and found that not only did the z axis screw rod not line up with the top of the motor, centered like the right side was, but it was almost 1/4" off to the side.

Did a bunch of measurements, made sure everything was level, used calipers, lasers and squares to check and double check alignment and confirmed that the cheap PLA parts supplied were warped. Really not in the least bit surprised. Which probably was the actual source of my problem to begin with.

However, now what to do? so I did a little looking around and found this: [www.thingiverse.com]

A modified XZ carriage replacement, with two versions. I opted for the one that used the Delrin nuts, and has a mount for the Delrin Anti backlash nut, which is pictured. (saving me a later modification) Picking up the repair pieces tomorrow from guy printing them for me.

Also had two additional extruder carriage mounts printed, one for the MK8 and one that would hold dual E3D v6 hot ends. As for the X carriage itself, ordered an aluminum unit from eBay.

Once I get this thing tuned up, then I'll upgrade to a non flexing steel frame.
April 05, 2016 03:18PM
wampablo .... I do like the spool holder you made. Is it a stl from one of the depositories online?
I have been thinking of printing up a power switch holder to mount on or around the power supply. I see you have placed one in line.

When you print a raft ... do you have a prefered feed rate? I've seen some coding down around 480. M
April 05, 2016 07:12PM
The spool holder is of my own design and thank you spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I got fed up with hearing the printer humming away while it wasn't being used and I got fed up of reaching under my desk and unplugging it problem is the usb will keep the lcd powered up but that I don't really mind.
I don't normally use rafts I use a brim which I find neater but has more of a tendency to warp in the corners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2016 07:12PM by wampablo.
April 16, 2016 11:55AM
Hello, I have this printer (unfortunately) bought by 3D Printer Online. Can anyone get a working firmware me? Installation instructions would also be good. With the firmware of 3D Printersonline I get an error message by Arduino.
thanks
April 16, 2016 04:41PM
look up at some of my previous post
April 17, 2016 06:37AM
I saw your post . Do you have a step by step guide for me?
April 18, 2016 09:31AM
oneill86 ... go to the website that wampablo mentions in an earlier message.

Download the drivers. Install the latest Arduino. Grab the latest Marlin code. If you have the autoleveler option, defeat it in the code. Move the sensor to a safe place like a trashcan.

I am attaching the coding that got me going. You can use it if you want. It will be the basic coding needed to get rolling.

I know you feel disappointed in the kit as it was thrown together. I've been there and have that T-shirt. You will need to improvise a little but once you have the printer going, you will find it moves along nicely. I have finally have my machine together as it was imagined .... I think. Now adding items that I find helpful such as like wampablo did ... add a switch. I'm thinking of adding a front mounter SD card socket and may try to print something similar to what wampablo did to handle the filament spools.

So just be patient, you will get there.

Marvo
Attachments:
open | download - I3Config.zip (274.1 KB)
April 18, 2016 01:33PM
Hello, the firmware of you worked. Thank you! One more question, has a glass flap on the aluminum plate or you can directly since it print?

And I have the auto-leveling function. Was there in your firmware?
Attachments:
open | download - Bed.png (253.3 KB)
April 18, 2016 03:52PM
oneill86 ... The firmware file that I sent you has the autoleveling script commented out. If you want to activate it ... take the "//" off of in front of define statement.

I have printed straight off of the aluminum plate using hairspray or painter's tape. If you use glass you will need to use hairspray.

MArvo
April 18, 2016 04:52PM
this Is why I like forums so many people on different levels to each other and as long as your not totally clueless everyone joins in to help.

Marvo what 3d cad program are you using ? if I know which you are using I can try and send you the designs for my holder and you can have a play around with them to your own preference

the thing I found with my printer is the acrylic frame doesn't really accommodate that well for spool holders. with my design it slides over the vertical face that the display is on and then anchors to the top z axis via the existing bolt holes obviously I've had to get longer bolts.

ive not been on here much as my printer is out of commission at the minute and I'm waiting on parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2016 04:54PM by wampablo.
April 18, 2016 06:46PM
wampablo .... I'm using 123d Design and using cura to slice. Marvo
April 19, 2016 02:39PM
here you go marvo not sure if you can do anything with them ive not got any experience with 123d design.
Attachments:
open | download - RH spool.STL (348.6 KB)
open | download - LH spool.STL (345.9 KB)
April 19, 2016 02:42PM
Thanks wampablo .... I'll give it a whirl ..... LOL!

Thanks again

Thanks
Marvo

Owner of "Little Bubba" by Electron i3
May 09, 2016 10:39AM
Wampablo .... this weekend I will be printing the reel supports at the farm shop and I will provide pictures.

Did you get your upgrade parts in for the printer that you mentioned and did that involve new roller bearing for the X axis? Are you going to be mounting a second extruder?

Thanks
Marvo

May 10, 2016 05:34PM
ive not been doing a lot with my printer of late. ive got a host of other projects I'm entertained with. but we have just bought a lulzbot taz 5 at work and it a completely different animal and i think the next upgrade for me would be a silicone heatpad new glass and some pei sheet. this is the set up on the taz at work and abs sticks to it beautifully infact it stuck that well earlier i tried to prize the print off the bed before it cooled down and with the pressure i had to force against the print when it finally give up and let go of the bed the knife/spatula carried on and i stabbed my other hand. i know not the most intelligent thing ive done this year!!!.

i don't think in all honesty that i will ever fit a second extruder. i use mattercontrol to control my printer and i can set that up to change filament with a pause commandwhen i need to swap any colours.
May 17, 2016 05:25PM
Well wampablo ... I printed out your Spool Rod Stands and printed a roll bar to set on top of them. You did an impressive job on the stands.

I installed a switch and plug mount box on my power supply. I took an existing design, modified the switch/plug inset hole and cut away what I couldn't use.

I am pleased with the outcome. I am now calling my KIT complete ... smiling smiley

Thanks
Marvo

Attachments:
open | download - 20160514_183042.jpg (409.6 KB)
open | download - 20160514_225134.jpg (468.1 KB)
May 18, 2016 01:46PM
I all of a sudden feel overwhelmed and can feel my eyes swelling up with tears of pride winking smiley you've done a great job there. I have done a small thing with my printer and it seems to have had a positive affect with z-banding. while I was doing some printing I noticed that my z-axis trapezoidal lead screw were not concentric with the top hole now I knew they where not bent after I had them rolling on my engineers bench at work so I came up with a little print to help keep them parallel to the z-axis smooth bar.
Attachments:
open | download - over.jpg (613.6 KB)
open | download - under.jpg (527.7 KB)
May 18, 2016 05:52PM
wampablo ... tears of pride ... you should ! Again outstanding spool arms!

Wow .... outstanding method of mitigation on the z-banding. Never, never would've given it a thought ... my printing still kind of hugs the plate ... not much height. I can see the benefit of securing the lead screw in your manner. Sweet idea.

I am going to play with my Little Bubba for a while as is ... trying different filaments, speeds and feeds. Then I may join you in the modification world to shore him up on quality output.

Give a shout when you have a chance.

Thanks
Marvo

May 20, 2016 12:43PM
the beauty of this kind of printer is it basically a benchmark there not the highest quality as anything bought from china. and when people with more than a small amount of sense pick one up they tend to make them there own as I have. they give you the basic idea of how they work and once you have that depending on how inclined you are the skies the limit I'm designing my own at the minute heavily based on the taz5 design. I'm going to be using my prusa to make the parts for it which is why ive now named my printer Darwin winking smiley
July 11, 2016 06:43PM
I purchased this printer and just received it this weekend, I had the exact same issues as you are having. Were you able to get yours working? What resources did you find? I cant event find contact information for support. I was able to get the whole thing assembled and have been trouble shooting it for two days. Cant get extruder to work yet. I found a video here [www.youtube.com] showing how to assemble the extruder but it lacks some very important details. and the auto leveling worked so well on my first print attempt the nozzle etched a huge gouge in the print bed.
July 24, 2016 04:13PM
sorry what problems are you having mine didn't come with the auto leveling so judging by what people have said that's something to be thankful for.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login