Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flat build plate

Posted by msaeger 
Flat build plate
October 09, 2015 11:43PM
My build plate is humped in the middle. I was googling and found this aluminum plate on amazon. [www.amazon.com]

If I were to install this would I still be able to put glass on top? I want to keep the removable plate but get something flat.

Any other suggestions for flattening the build plate would be good as well.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
Re: Flat build plate
October 10, 2015 03:09AM
I have a few of these. I like them a lot

Yes you can put glass on top of them, the top is flat, and the cut out goes around the standard Heated bed electronics so they don't short out.

My glass is just held on with the old Foldback spring clips.
October 10, 2015 09:06AM
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me if it take significantly longer for the bed to heat up? Did you get it from this same person?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2015 09:08AM by msaeger.

October 10, 2015 07:24PM
Here's what looks like the same thing for a little cheaper on ebay.

[www.ebay.com]

October 11, 2015 02:45PM
You can just put glass on your current bed if not humped too much. Just use Gino (thermal) pads on the corners like this:
[vid.me]
October 11, 2015 08:34PM
I have glass on there held down with binder clips. Are you using the thermal pads to hold it instead of clips? I would think whatever holding method I use it will be warped because I am attaching it to the heated bed pcb which is warped.

October 12, 2015 02:47AM
No because the thermal pads let the glass float over the hump. They are pads, not adhesive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2015 02:48AM by RRuser.
November 04, 2015 11:34PM
If the goal is a flat bed which would be better this one or the ones linked above? This one seems like a simpler solution but maybe the other way would be flater?

[www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2015 11:42PM by msaeger.

November 05, 2015 04:49AM
I suggest removing the build plate and trying to level the heater pcb by it's self and see if that helps remove the bowing.
November 05, 2015 07:44AM
RonN
I suggest removing the build plate and trying to level the heater pcb by it's self and see if that helps remove the bowing.

Done that and with the pcb heat bed totally free it's warped too.

November 06, 2015 07:12AM
My pcd was a little warped and I could not get it straight with 3-point leveling, but 4-point held it in place properly.
November 16, 2015 08:43PM
I got the aluminum plate [www.ebay.com] and installed it. It is defiantly much flatter than just the PCB. The issue now is I don't think the heater is up to the task of heating up that much mass. With just the PCB I was able to run auto tune to 100 with a cold bed now if I try that it times out. I tried with the bed starting at 60 degrees and it still timed out. I started at 80 and ran it to 90 and it passed but I just don't think the heater can handle this plate.

Is anyone using one of these with a PCB heater?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2015 08:58PM by msaeger.

November 16, 2015 09:14PM
I stopped messing around with PCB and aluminum plates and just bought an MK3 bed Heating element built right into an aluminum bed. put glass on top and it takes anything I can throw at it.
[www.amazon.com]
November 16, 2015 10:17PM
CrackinX
I stopped messing around with PCB and aluminum plates and just bought an MK3 bed Heating element built right into an aluminum bed. put glass on top and it takes anything I can throw at it.
[www.amazon.com]

You should have been here a couple weeks ago smiling smiley

November 17, 2015 10:14PM
msaeger
CrackinX
[www.amazon.com]

You should have been here a couple weeks ago smiling smiley

Lol, yeah sorry. Also if your heater takes too long to heat up I would suggest getting a second 24v supply to run the bed off of.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login