Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA or ABS not sticking to bed

Posted by Flyer 
PLA or ABS not sticking to bed
October 21, 2015 09:15PM
My first test print, a little postage sized stamp file, using PLA came out fine. But then, print after print after print of the same file, it just isn't printing. I've move the extrusion temp up, and down. I've moved the bed temp up and down. I've moved from PLA to ABS and still the same issue. It seems that the filament won't lay down onto the surface. I used painters tape, I've used bare surface, So....I'm missing something.
I have a Folgertech Prusa v3 running Marlin software, with Repetier Host printer software and Slic3r...
I know I'm close to success, but just can't figure it out. I've done lots of research and believe it is something to do with the extruder feed, extruder temp, or bed temperature, or a combination of all three. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: PLA or ABS not sticking to bed
October 21, 2015 09:33PM
That must be the initial layer being too high, try doing some z axis calibration again
October 22, 2015 11:13AM
I'de help troubleshoot with you if I could get my Z axis to work properly in a print. It works fine in manual movement but during a print it just stalls because its trying to move to fast i think =\. Maybe I can try to just print a 1 layer shape and see what happens lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2015 11:14AM by Slaghton.
October 22, 2015 08:04PM
Can you provide more info on this? eeprom settings, slicer speed settings?
October 23, 2015 11:14AM
For PLA you can print onto blue painters tape with the bed at 60C-70C, likes extruder temps at about 180C-205C
For ABS you have to print on glass with either extra hold hair spray or elmers glue stick at at least 90C or even better 110C, you can avoid the messy additives by printing onto a piece of PEI or buildtak also. Like extruder temps of 220C-235C usually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2015 11:15AM by widespreaddeadhead.
October 23, 2015 11:36AM
Odd, I've printed both PLA and ABS on glass with hair spray. Elmer's works too in the friendly purple cap.
October 23, 2015 04:07PM
Tried, came close...still nothing when it starts printing the object.
October 23, 2015 04:15PM
Not sure how to find the EEPROM settings. I've slowed the slicer speeds waaaaaaay down...Thoughts?
October 23, 2015 08:35PM
OK, let's here it for Aqua Net! Not sure why, and I hope it will last, but I've printed out a couple of parts now and besides the little 3mm holes, things seem to be printing OK. Still a long way to go...
October 24, 2015 05:05AM
Flyer
OK, let's here it for Aqua Net! Not sure why, and I hope it will last, but I've printed out a couple of parts now and besides the little 3mm holes, things seem to be printing OK. Still a long way to go...

Hey I just started printing today ()well yesterday now) and ive been printing abs on a cold bed with tape that ive sanded with 100 grit and then wiped with alcohol afterwards.

Obviously this print right here doesn't matter if it sticks since it naturally curves up at the neck but i'm getting decent prints. I just have to figure out the limits ( overhangs and stuff)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2015 05:05AM by Slaghton.
October 25, 2015 10:35AM
Flyer, have you adjusted your Zero position Z axis to 0.1 mm or 0.004" using a feeler gauge or a piece of paper?

Have you accurately calibrated your extruder? What's your EStep number? Did you change your configuration.h file to reflect that and load it into the machine?

Are you running the first layer at around 150% extrusion rate in slicer?

If you have a glass plate, all you should need for PLA is 70 degrees and some hair spray.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login