Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech 2020 Prusa i3 x-axis very loud; x motor very hot

Posted by mccannk 
Folger Tech 2020 Prusa i3 x-axis very loud; x motor very hot
November 15, 2015 06:43PM
I am finishing the build of the 2020 i3 from Folger Tech. My initial print is decent, but the x-axis is quite loud, with the x stepper motor running hot. I set my drivers to .350 mV (I built the Prusa i3/Acrylic frame earlier this year). How can I quiet this down? The first Prusa i3 from Folger Tech runs very quiet - it seems that this one should, too.
Re: Folger Tech 2020 Prusa i3 x-axis very loud; x motor very hot
November 16, 2015 03:28AM
It's probably a bad stepper.
Check the resistance of the coils. Are they same?
How about microstepping? Everything setup correctly?
-Olaf
November 16, 2015 05:20AM
Hi,

If it's loud, you probably need to setup your stepper driver output current properly.
If a stepper motor is running hot very fast, the current it gets is probably unapropriate.
Check connexions too, cheap Dupont connectors can be loose.

Last : be kind with your printer, Folger's uses cheap everything, especialy weird motors.
Don't ask it to perform as better printer does. Upgrade extruder+hotend as soon as possible.

++JM
November 17, 2015 10:24PM
J-Max
Hi,

If it's loud, you probably need to setup your stepper driver output current properly.
If a stepper motor is running hot very fast, the current it gets is probably unapropriate.
Check connexions too, cheap Dupont connectors can be loose.

Last : be kind with your printer, Folger's uses cheap everything, especialy weird motors.
Don't ask it to perform as better printer does. Upgrade extruder+hotend as soon as possible.

++JM

The extruder HAS been upgraded in the later 2020 kits by Folger. It works very well.
November 22, 2015 12:38PM
I'm having the same issue I can't figure it out. The x axis stepper vibrates bad. And gets hot no matter how much I align everything and mess with the pot I can't get it to stop. Would appreciate more advice.
November 24, 2015 09:29AM
Does the X carriage move back and forth easily with the belt disconnected from the motor? It should slide from side to side as you tilt the machine. On mine, the cutouts for the bearings were too small (bad printed mount) and I had to take a Dremel to them to make enough room.
November 24, 2015 12:32PM
I have been having the same problem with the x axis it makes a grinding sound when running even though i tried lowering the current.

Folger Tech Prusa i3
Reprap Discount Controller
November 24, 2015 06:35PM
igel
I have been having the same problem with the x axis it makes a grinding sound when running even though i tried lowering the current.

That sounds like you are eating up your bearings. Try snipping off one of the two zip ties holding the bearings in place. What have you got to lose? smiling smiley
November 24, 2015 11:53PM
That is a good idea i tried that and the bearings are really smooth. I then replaced the stepper driver and set it to 250 mV and the noise got much better. I think it has something also to do with the vibrations that are coming from the x axis motor and theyre not getting damped enough.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login