Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folgertech i3 Prusa problems need help!

Posted by Axeman5470 
Folgertech i3 Prusa problems need help!
November 21, 2015 04:08PM
Ok, I am having endstop issues and the X axis keeps jerking back and forth.

First, I have contacted Folgertech on many ocasions on the issues I am having and I get back really dumb responses.

Second, I was mailed out new endstops, which didn't fix the issue.

Third, I was emailed by the owner to check the ramps voltage. Was told a different voltage than the instructions, which by the way are very badly done. We tried on ramp and reduced the volts and it wen to 0, so we put it back to where it was. Well, it then showed all ramps at 1. confused, I sent an email back with pics explaining this and the reply was priceless. Against the instructions, that say set to mv, he says to set it to 2v on the multimeter, another confusing item.

Forth, My friend found on a forum when it says the M119 command for the endstop, was in the wrong command line, meaning it wasn't set to Max, like the instructions had had me put them.

I am confused beyond belief, being this is my first 3d printer and that I know others have bought this and got it working. Could it be a bad control board or just something minor in the marlin software?
Re: Folgertech i3 Prusa problems need help!
November 21, 2015 06:43PM
To set the stepper voltage - power off the 12v and connect the Arduino/RAMPS via USB to a PC.
Set your multimeter to 2v DC
Measure between ground (I usually use the minus screw of the 12v input for ground probe) and the pot on the stepper (positive probe).
Power off the USB, adjust, power on USb and mesaure again.

Folget Tech setup is different from most reworks, the X motor is on the right side and facing back, however have a look at an Instructable I did on building an i3.
[www.instructables.com]

There are many variables when it comes to end stops, normally open/closed switches, MIN and MAX placement
Use M119 from pronterface or repetier to check the status
November 23, 2015 01:20PM
I'm a dummy.....forgive me.....haven't done electronics since highschool.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 02:06PM by Axeman5470.
November 23, 2015 02:09PM
Also, I have no software training and have a friend that's helping me with some of the issues. He wants one too, but we want to figure out what is going on, before he gets one. I'm just frustrated by the tech support that Folgertech lacks.
November 24, 2015 09:21AM
IMHO the tech support was telling you probably correct information; however, from your first and subsequent posts, it's clear that you didn't know what he was telling you. No where in the instructions does it say to check Ramps voltage. You meant driver voltages. You were confused when told to set a voltmeter to the 2 volt scale? If voltages were measured as either 0 or 1, then you clearly were not measuring the right thing.
I hate to see someone bad mouthing ANY supplier when it's clear (as you later admitted) that it's the 'operator' and not the machine that is the problem. I keep asking myself why people with no software knowledge or electronics knowledge even buy a 3D printer.
Yes, Folger Tech's response time and technical feedback have suffered since Dan left, as I have personally experienced a couple of times, but their kit, for the money, is a bargain and their instructions are better than those supplied in 'Chinenglish' by some of the Aliexpress junk. There ARE mistakes in the instructions that have been addressed by several of us on here but FT evidently doesn't have the time, inclination, or expertise to change in their instructions. That is ashamed.

Keep plugging along and read ALL of the posts on here and you will eventually become as much of an expert as anyone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2015 05:11PM by tjnamtiw.
January 23, 2016 10:53AM
As you so, I would presume, kindly pointed out, that it was me and not them. This isn't true, I did check the right part......and the voltages weren't correct. The email from John himself, shows voltages that are different from the instructions. I had to order some stuff to help in calibrating. I have had experience in electronics and building computers. This isn't much different and me and a friend did follow the instructions, which in my opinion, are the worst and i believe, are made to confuse the simple man. Its instructions send you all over the place and do not take you from a-z, but a-c, m-q, then back to d-i and so forth. Its the worst instructions I've come across in my whole life. I'm 45 and built models, engines, computers, and have had some programming and electronics education. Thanks for spamming me for a company that doesn't seem to care about the customer, but about making off with cash......
January 23, 2016 03:00PM
''. We tried on ramp and reduced the volts and it wen to 0, so we put it back to where it was. Well, it then showed all ramps at 1. '' You didn't have the voltmeter on the right scale and probably not even on the right section.
''Against the instructions, that say set to mv, he says to set it to 2v on the multimeter, another confusing item.'' Depending on the meter, it could be one that you set to 2 volts max and then you would read in the 0.250 to 0.450 range. BUT like my meter, you set it on the 2000 MILLIVOLT scale, so the tech wasn't telling you wrong. He ASSUMED you knew how to read a meter. In fact, you could have an auto-scaler where you only need to select DC volts.

''I'm a dummy.....forgive me.....haven't done electronics since highschool.'' and ''I have no software training and have a friend that's helping me with some of the issues.'' Both statements led me to my comments about assuming you were measuring and adjusting the wrong things.

You will find a huge Folger Tech following both here and on FaceBook with many knowledgeable people willing to help. The only thing you need to do is 'speak their language' so they know what you are talking about or at least get the feeling that you know what you are talking about. Dissing a company that make a great product at a great price will not get you very far. We all acknowledge that FT has had growing pains and there are some people who still judge them entirely by their start up offerings sadly but most people are printing great parts once we held each others hands, so to speak.

Their instructions, while having a few mistakes that are well documented here if you take the time to look, are quite good, well organized so I don't know what you were reading. I'm not even sure you are talking about a Folger Tech kit

Good luck. I wonder what you've been doing for the 2 months since I answered you.........

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
January 23, 2016 04:48PM
Well, considering that tells me you're fan boys, that says a lot. Justin Beiber has a large following, does that make him great? lol We worked again all day. We found all the problems and tech support never made any suggestions even close to what we found.

1. The end stops are indicated to a certain point. We tested and found the points in the instructions wrong. Max was one above what the instructions showed.

2. Bad or defective lead wire from board to the X axis motor. tested with another lead and works, but don't have the wire for it.

This tells me they don't have good quality control.

We went through all the configuration.h file, got all voltages in specifications, and it all came down to a defective wire and bad support.

I'm not a software person, I did DOS way back and config isn't much different. you can try to bad mouth me all you want.......software is much different than programming......Leave it at that......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 04:49PM by Axeman5470.
January 23, 2016 05:16PM
I'm not trying to bad mouth you. I too cut my teeth on DOS and C before there was C++ and built computers from the earliest components. Heck, I still have a DEC computer!

The things you pointed out can be found MANY TIMES in the long thread on here for FT including the occasional miswired/crimped connector for the stepper motor. That can easily be fixed now that you found it by taking a pin, releasing the connector piece and you'll probably find that they (Chinese) crimped onto insulation rather than wire. The end stop in the wrong place is addressed many times on the forum as well as on therippa's github. I have personally added it every time someone has a problem like that >>>

''According to the instruction manual, The plug for the X motor should have the red wire to the left. Put it just like the picture shows. The instructions call this the 'Z' motor again. Also these things need to be done that are different from the instructions.>>

Change the following in configuration.h

#define INVERT_X_DIR true to #define INVERT_X_DIR false
#define X_HOME_DIR -1 to #define X_HOME_DIR 1
With the printer off PHYSICALLY move the x-axis stop plug to the left one set of pins (this makes it so it's the x max instead of x-min)

Now if you are using rep host, you need to go to printer settings > printer shape and change home X: from min to Max.

One big glaring mistake in the build manual is putting the X stop plug in the wrong place on the board. It should be right next to the Y stop plug, not two over as the manual says. Also, for the X motor plug wires, keep them as you see. It's not a mistake to have them reversed from the others. I DID end up reversing the extruder motor plug because it was pushing the filament out the top!

The new spring design extruder has a brass feed gear that, for me, was rubbing inside the motor housing and causing it to drag and skip steps''

And I'll be nice and ignore the 'fan boy' comment. I had my share of problems in the beginning.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 05:18PM by tjnamtiw.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
January 24, 2016 04:23PM
Then if you have had your share of problems, then why say stuff and try to bad mouth, as you did. I was stating how bad things were, and no one, till now, addressed the issue. I found it, but support and instructions are still seriously lacking.
On that point, I am glad it working. I still have to level the bed and the Z axis, then its time for a test print. Hopefully the $350 I payed, will be worth it. I am running the software downloaded from their site and have to change a few things, due to it having a little less than 8"x8"x8"........200mmx200mmx100mm needs to be slightly adjusted, height mainly......lol, but I will update and let others know what I have accomplished. Thank you SteveRoy, for pointing out a few things, although I was able to change the voltage on the fly, with everything plugged in. I will also post pics when all is done and i am actually printing......Thanks
January 28, 2016 07:51PM
Ok, its printing, but its not clean, but more like a rats nest. could that be a printer setting for the feed?
Attachments:
open | download - 20160128_185941-1-1-1[1].jpg (503.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login