Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Constant Greg-wades extruder jams

Posted by AudaciousTuddle 
Constant Greg-wades extruder jams
December 21, 2015 08:14PM
Short story, plastic is just slowly oozing from my nozzle, it seams to clog somewhere in the heat-break.

Long story: I have an e3d hot-end clone, on the end of a Greg-wades reloaded extruder. I replaced my Mk8 after the cheap stepper didn't have enough torque to run it reliably. I have not gotten a single print since I changed to the wades. As shipped my heat break did not have any sort of Teflon liner or anything so I bought a ptfe lined M6x40mm throat, after some slight modifications to my heat break (apparently I needed an M7 throat), I got that installed and it still doesn't print. I did get an oozing, but nothing near the vollume that I should be getting.

Here are acouple of my thoughts: I have bad filiment, my nozzle is too small, or something is wrong with my steps per mm.

Any thoughts?
Re: Constant Greg-wades extruder jams
December 21, 2015 08:32PM
A few more small details:

I don't know what size nozzle I have right now. It came with the hot end and the listing doesn't specify. I have a .5mm nozzle on the way, as well as a heatbreak that has M6 internal threads over the M7 that mine has. I'm also running my extruder at 420 steps/mm with1/32 microstepping (which I have not verified is calibrated yet)
December 22, 2015 03:08AM
You could try to extrude manually to see, if there are any tight spots in the e3d clone.
I had to drill mine open to feed the PTFE tube down to the M6 heatbarrier ( BTW: M7 doesn't exist smiling smiley ), because the filament got stuck in the heatsink from misaligned guide holes.
Before I did that, I had to unscrew the heatbarrier every time I changed filament. Now I can autofeed it all the way though the Bowden tube right into the heater block.
-Olaf
December 22, 2015 04:56AM
I'll try that when I get a chance. Probably later tonight. I'll also try to load the filiment manually, that might be a good work around until I get this figured out. Now like I said mine didn't come with a PTFE tube, and in my research I saw someone else had a clear plastic tube that looked like you just stuck into the heat-break. is not having one of those my problem? Would adding something like this [www.ebay.com] help?

Also M7 is really a thing, though admittedly much less common than M8 and M6. You can pretty quickly find some on McMaster Carr if you do some searching.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login