Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware EEPROM Configuration menu item grayed out!

Posted by GrowleyMonster 
Firmware EEPROM Configuration menu item grayed out!
January 14, 2016 09:00AM
I am trying to calibrate my Sunhokey Prusa i3 and I have installed arduino on my Ubuntu laptop. The menu item is still disabled and I dont know how to get in to the configuration file on the printer control board. Anybody have any ideas? Is this somehow locked into a read-only state? I think my Z axis is way off, and feed rate, because I cant get good solid prints when I need 100% infill, and the height of printed objects is too short.

GrowleyMonster
Honemeister, Razorsmith, EV guy. Go ahead, ask me something.
Re: Firmware EEPROM Configuration menu item grayed out!
January 15, 2016 12:14AM
The Eprom config will be unavailable if the printer is not connected to the computer via usb cable and connected in the program you are using as in ready to print then is should be available

rwt
January 15, 2016 02:50AM
I'm not a Linux guy, but you are saying, you can't select the configuration.h tab in arduino IDE, right?
Some of the parameters are adjustable with pronterface, like "M92 Zxxx.xx" for Z-steps/mm.
If sunhokey has disabled EEprom support, you have to write the M92.... line in your slicer startcode.
-Olaf
January 16, 2016 04:53PM
Roger123D
The Eprom config will be unavailable if the printer is not connected to the computer via usb cable and connected in the program you are using as in ready to print then is should be available

This is with Repetier Host running and connected with the printer via USB. I can print with the printer so no com port issues.

GrowleyMonster
January 16, 2016 05:04PM
o_lampe
I'm not a Linux guy, but you are saying, you can't select the configuration.h tab in arduino IDE, right?
Some of the parameters are adjustable with pronterface, like "M92 Zxxx.xx" for Z-steps/mm.
If sunhokey has disabled EEprom support, you have to write the M92.... line in your slicer startcode.
-Olaf

No, not in Arduino IDE. In Repetier Host. There is a menu item for this but it is disabled, grayed out, even when I can pass file to printer and print it out. This M92 thing, that goes in the G-code box to send to the printer, right? That sounds like a way around this problem. I have not tried Pronterface. Still trying to learn the basics with Repetier but unfortunately part of the basics of 3d printing is configuring the 3D printer and I suspect the controller processor is locked into read-0nly. I dont know how to find out for sure. I guess I will try playing with the Arduino IDE some more. But I could not figure out how to connect to the processor. It doesnt seem to be available for some reason. I dont know anything much about Arduino but it should be obvious from within the connect menu that a device is there and available for connection. Anyway it does look like the menu command in Repetier is SUPPOSED to be able to configure the printer. I only installed the Arduino IDE package thinking that maybe Repetier needed it installed to communicate with the printer's processor for configuration purposes.

Why in the world would they disable this? It doesnt make sense to cripple a device like this, when it is supposed to be open source and therefore hackable/experimentable and most importantly CUSTOM CONFIgURABLE or at least capable of being calibrated properly. I think I am just gonna get a proper open source board for the printer. This Sunhokey one seems kinda hokey.

GrowleyMonster
January 17, 2016 03:10AM
You can send the M92 line with Repetier Host, too. No need to install Pronterface.
I'd claim warranty if the EEprom or the whole firmware is not configurable. But having a second controller at hand is a good idea anyways.
-Olaf
January 23, 2016 08:34PM
I tried to access the board with the arduino ide and the serial port selection is grayed out. I get an error message saying "Serial port COM1 not found. Did you select the right one from the Tools ? Serial Port menu?", which is the menu item that is grayed out in arduino. I have had it with this stinkin board. I just pulled the trigger on a Rambo 1.3 board and when I get it, I will stomp this one into thousands of tiny pieces, and send a pic to the kit vendor. Should solve my problem, or at least give me a warm feeling of contentment and satisfaction.

I have printed a bunch of stuff and after a couple of weeks of trying I generally get a usable print. I just make it taller than what it is supposed to be, to compensate for the retarded printer that stubbornly insists on making it shorter than I want. I keep getting lots of voids, too. Sometimes I find a combination that gives me a nice solid print, sometimes it doesnt matter, and sometimes I dont get a solid print even if I need one. Say la vee.

I dont see why I would have an arduino or a port problem. I was playing around with an arduino board last year when I was thinking about building myself a drinkbot, to follow me around on the pier at the marina like a little electromechanical servant/bartender, carrying my drink and monitoring my drinking progress so it could have the next drink ready for me when I needed it. I was sidetracked from this worthy cause by pressing financial issues related to not working for the previous several months, and then by the lack of free time that being employed causes, after going back to work. But anyway I dont see how it could be a problem on the computer side of things since I was previously able to flash to the drinkbot's arduino board and make it do stuff with the same computer and same OS and same installation of arduino IDE. It is the controller board. Somehow it is set to not respond to anything but commands from repetier host telling it to print, jog x/y/z, extrude, stop printing, heat up, etc. Truthfully I really felt like bashing it to bits a couple of times but then I looked at the stuff I have made and thought about waiting days for a new one to get here and going through the build and setup process again, and instead just yelled at it a little. Which actually did not seem to help either me or the printer. The hammer would have been sweeeeeeeet, though.

I think I will visit RatShack tomorrow and pick up another arduino and make sure I can indeed connect with a non-crippled one. Not so I wont have to order another controller, because I already did. So I will know I got computer settings or software issues that will interfere with configuring the new Rambo board when I get it.

If I had known then what I didnt know then, I would have bought a Folger which is actually cheaper than the hokey Sunhokey.

Who knows... a fully functional 3d printer could be handy, for building DrinkBot mkII.

GrowleyMonster
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login