Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Two stepper z-axis

Posted by WZ9V 
Two stepper z-axis
January 14, 2016 05:27PM
Do people find they have problems with the two z-motors going out of sync and causing leveling issues?
Re: Two stepper z-axis
January 14, 2016 10:58PM
i doubt it is technically possible for them since this would also mean they could "miss a step" if used alone which would possibly mess up the whole print, no matter which of the motors it is.
i was more afraid that the connection between the motor and the threaded rod may slip, but not anymore because i observed them a long time and rhey stayed always in snync
(to make this easier for me i attached a cable tie to each threaded rod which i didnt cut entirely at a position where they wouldnt disturb the Print - bothy stayed always in sync so far)
January 15, 2016 04:01PM
I have heard a lot of people complain about this as one of the design flaws of the the Prusa, That being said I never really made sure that mine was exactly lined up in the first place and i have never had any issues. I would guess that any small discrepancies in alignment manifest themselves as a bed that is not level, and can be fixed by simply leveling the bed.
January 15, 2016 06:57PM
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. As you said there has been lots of discussion about it as a problem but I was curious if people saw it in practice.
Anonymous User
January 16, 2016 10:37AM
UniTrader
i doubt it is technically possible for them since this would also mean they could "miss a step" if used alone which would possibly mess up the whole print, no matter which of the motors it is.
i was more afraid that the connection between the motor and the threaded rod may slip, but not anymore because i observed them a long time and rhey stayed always in snync
(to make this easier for me i attached a cable tie to each threaded rod which i didnt cut entirely at a position where they wouldnt disturb the Print - bothy stayed always in sync so far)

Of course it can happen ! It is a major drawback of stepper motors. Luckily, 3D printers use them in a conservative way, don't require extreme accuracy and they are cheap and easy to control.
But it can be a serious issue on the Z axis, as out of sync means binding, leading to excessive wear if not serious damage to the guide rods.
ANd don't correct by leveling the bed, just correct it !
January 16, 2016 01:54PM
I see what you are saying about the z axis binding. I definitely could see that it could cause issues, but I have never seen issues with it. I might worry more if I had leadscrews, but I still have threaded rod which have plenty of play. I could also see it being a much bigger issue with a longer lead thread, where the motors mechanical advantage is greatly reduced. But for now I'm not just going to make sure it's close, but not necessarily perfect. I don't really care if it is within 1/10th of a mm perfectly level.
January 16, 2016 01:54PM
I will also advocate a closed loop control system, I would love to see a encoder on the motor. That solves all these problems.
Anonymous User
January 16, 2016 03:55PM
AudaciousTuddle
I will also advocate a closed loop control system, I would love to see a encoder on the motor. That solves all these problems.
Much more expensive, complex and not required. Two lead screws, timing belt and one stepper.
January 16, 2016 06:38PM
MKSA
AudaciousTuddle
Much more expensive, complex and not required. Two lead screws, timing belt and one stepper.

Belt issues or second stepper issues, either way there are issues, the second stepper imo is the lesser of two evils.
January 17, 2016 04:36AM
There are designs for 1 motor z axes for the i3 lovely one on thingiverse but a bit complicated [www.thingiverse.com]. I'm working on a super simple one with 2 pullets and a belt. Not sure if one motor without gearing will have enough power but I can substitute in a geared motor. Will post pics when parts arrive.

For what it's worth I think the 2 motors definitely Utley go out of sync over time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2016 04:37AM by DjDemonD.
January 17, 2016 06:31AM
4 months of printing everyday, and no problems. No ABL either.
January 17, 2016 08:11AM
DjDemonD
There are designs for 1 motor z axes for the i3 lovely one on thingiverse but a bit complicated [www.thingiverse.com]. I'm working on a super simple one with 2 pullets and a belt. Not sure if one motor without gearing will have enough power but I can substitute in a geared motor. Will post pics when parts arrive.

For what it's worth I think the 2 motors definitely Utley go out of sync over time.

Here is a link that might help you in your designs. [en.m.wikipedia.org] Those equations will help you calculate how much torque you will need. Also if yours works with a belt, then you don't need gears, just make your pulleys different sizes to get the mechanical advantage you are looking for.
January 17, 2016 09:52AM
Thanks. I wasn't planning to drive it from the belt, my idea is to replace one motor with a pillow bearing to support the tr8 leadscrew and leave the other motor in place. Since I have bearings supporting the tops of both leadscrews, I plan to join the two leadscrews at the top with 20t pulleys and a closed belt. There will have to be a spring loaded idler to tension the belt once it's installed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2016 09:52AM by DjDemonD.
January 18, 2016 07:49AM
AudaciousTuddle
I would guess that any small discrepancies in alignment manifest themselves as a bed that is not level, and can be fixed by simply leveling the bed.

Nope, not that simple. If the X-axis is not square to the Z-axis then everything you print will be out of square to exactly the same extent. For the amount of error that is possible before the Z axis binds up it may or may not matter to you, depending on what you print and what your expectations are.

I used one motor and a belt in a triangle config. No problems with power using a standard nema 17 motor and leadscrews with 8mm pitch.
January 18, 2016 08:34AM
JamesK
Nope, not that simple. If the X-axis is not square to the Z-axis then everything you print will be out of square to exactly the same extent. For the amount of error that is possible before the Z axis binds up it may or may not matter to you, depending on what you print and what your expectations are.

I used one motor and a belt in a triangle config. No problems with power using a standard nema 17 motor and leadscrews with 8mm pitch.

Ok I see what your saying, I guess that I haven't run enough parts where the xy angle was crucial enough to matter, most of my parts tend to be under 25mm tall, and 1 degree just doesn't matter that much at 25mm. i also design in a lot of allowances, which would cover a lot of the printers imperfections.

On a different note, 8mm seams like a really long lead, do you have problems with holding torque? (I.e. Does the axis drop when you turn of the power?) or do you have some sort of mechanical advantage with your pully system?
January 18, 2016 08:54AM
8mm lead is fairly standard on the lower priced lead screws. It looks like less because it's a 4-start thread. You get a very small drop when the Z stepper is powered off, probably the difference to the nearest full step position, so you do need to make sure the Z stays powered up after homing. If I take the belt off, the Z axis will just about fall under gravity, but it took a lot of work to get it to run that freely - I didn't do a great job on the design of the Z axis. Live and learn!
January 18, 2016 10:53AM
I've another scheme for ensuring the z axis leadscrews run really nicely. My top bearing holder brackets are PLA and they softened in my heated chamber and aligned themselves. Runs beautifully smooth now. smiling smiley
January 18, 2016 01:36PM
so apparently I'm ready to upgrade. I just found these [www.ebay.com]. Im going to try to upgrade to these now. I have two sets on the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2016 01:46PM by AudaciousTuddle.
I plan on moving to leadscrews soon. But I'm going to stick with 1.25 or 2mm lead. I would have to upgrade my motors if I were to go with the 8mm lead version.
Accidental double post DELETE ME

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2016 01:47PM by AudaciousTuddle.
January 18, 2016 02:07PM
What motors have you got? I think you would be surprised even with TR8 leadscrews, as long as the leadscrews and smooth rods are well aligned a pair of standard 1.8 deg steppers work just fine, and thats not with the current set to a level that heats the motors. I am waiting to see if a single motor will be able to manage but plenty of people with corexy machines are lifting a z carriage with 2 or 3 leadscrews driven off 1 motor, might have to be geared 3:1 or similar with belts/printed gears, but should be doable.
January 18, 2016 02:11PM
Like I said, working fine here with a standard nema17 and 1:1 gearing. Not even warm.
January 19, 2016 03:16PM
I'm not worried about them not having enough torque, I just don't like the idea of them slumping when the power is cut off. I don't want it to cut the power after a print and have the still hot, hot end embed itself into my print. I want one that will hold its position when it is not powered.
January 19, 2016 03:22PM
Oh right. No worries there either. I added end g-code that raises the head 10mm and does a few cooling passes with the part fans at max, then moves the extruder to top center and the bed to full forward before turning the power off.
January 19, 2016 07:47PM
That's really cool. I haven't thought about adding any thing to my startup or ending GCode. But I'll keep my eyes open for something that I can do with it. I already bought some leadscrews with a .8mm lead but now I would actually consider the 8mm lead
January 19, 2016 08:23PM
[edit - I messed up by a factor of 10 in the original version, update to more rational numbers below]

I guess the advantage of those fine pitch screws would be more freedom to choose layer heights. With 8mm lead I'm limited to multiples of 0.04mm, which doesn't bother me when I'm using 0.2, 0.24 and 0.28, but might be a bit of a pain if you regularly want to work around the .1mm area and you're stuck with either 0.08 or 0.12, which is a pretty big jump. Maybe give the ones you've got a go and see how it works out? The trade off will be reduced travel speed, but that's not such a big deal in Z.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2016 10:07AM by JamesK.
January 20, 2016 09:51AM
Why are you limited to multiples of .4mm? You should have a resolution of .04mm and that doesn't even include microstepping.
January 20, 2016 10:06AM
Yes, you're right - brain fart. Reading through my previous comment you can see it's not self-consistent, .2 .24 and .28 being 0.04 apart, not .4. Principle still applies, except makes more sense with the decimal in the right place: stuck with 0.08 or 0.12, which is a pretty big jump". You want to stick to whole steps for the layer heights to reduce the potential for one of the causes of Z wobble. It's still worth using microstepping on Z for the quieter motion, but it's best to keep layer heights to multiples of the full step distance.

Sorry for any confusion caused by the previous post.
January 20, 2016 10:11AM
Ah. Now I see. I haven't thought about avoiding microstepping in layer heights, but I'm going to start doing that. Right now I have a 1.25mm lead so staying in multiples of .00625. Or .004mm once I get my leadscrews installed with the .8mm lead.
January 20, 2016 12:53PM
It's not much of an issue with fine leadscrews or 0.9 deg steppers. With 2mm lead and 1.8 deg motors the full step distance is 0.01mm so all obvious layer heights are multiples of your full step distance, but with 8mm lead it is worth bearing in mind. It's not particularly limiting though 0.12mm should be indiscernable from 0.1mm but will print 20% faster and have fewer layer artifacts (assuming 1.8 deg motors and 8mm lead).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2016 06:10PM by DjDemonD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login