Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Auto Level for Folger i3 2020 help!

Posted by Kenwolfe 
Auto Level for Folger i3 2020 help!
February 06, 2016 06:51PM
Hello Experts! Help!!
I purchased and built a Folger i3 2020 kit. It took a while, but I finally ironed out some X direction and home issues and some other minor things. Leveling the bed is a real PIA.
As precise as I am, things change and adjustments are always needed. I've decided to implement auto leveling. I have installed a servo/arm/relocated Z endstop on the print head carriage. Here's where I'm stumped. I've tried to get the latest Marlin and exchanged the config.h for one that someone said was "All set up for a Folger i3 2020 where a servo and endstop are installed for auto leveling" this has been a nightmare. Every combination I try comes up with compile errors and missing parts and etc.... I'm looking for one of you kind experts to possibly help me out here. I would be very appreciative and forever in your debt if someone with the same setup could zip their Marlin Arduino file set and send it to me so I can finally get things working. I know I'll need to calibrate the deltas of height and coordinates. (Directions for this too please). Any help is greatly appreciated...Thanks

****Update 2/8/2016******

Well, I decided to clean it all up. I took my old config file, printed it and deleted every Marlin file and directory in my system. I downloaded the newest version and went down the new config file a line at a time to either set the parameters like my working file or made changes to convert to the new file setup. I'm st the point where I was before deciding to install auto leveling, but now I'm based on the current Marlin version. My task now is to figure out what to set and just as importantly, why.
So, if anybody has a patient disposition that knows how to set up a servo based mechanically sensed auto leveling system using Marlin, I could use the help.Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2016 02:36PM by Kenwolfe.
Re: Auto Level for Folger i3 2020 help!
February 10, 2016 08:22AM
Not done Servo myself, but I've some experience with the auto bed leveling, can you post your configuration file?

Also when you say latest do you mean stable 1.02 or RC3?
February 11, 2016 07:40PM
Thanks for responding!
I'm using 1.1.0 rc3. So far it seems to be stable. If I need to, I'll dump and load something else. I've attached my Config file. I still have some extruder calibration to do but it's pretty much done, except for the auto level stuff. This is where I'm lost. Any help is very appreciated.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (40.3 KB)
February 11, 2016 11:16PM
You must still have your X endstop on the right. It has to go over on the left. Also, then you need to change this to all minus's.

#define X_HOME_DIR 1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

Also Zmin endstop inverting and zmin probe endstop inverting need to be false. (at least for my BLTOUCH).

Your Z min needs to be a minus number. Also, you'll never reach 175 on Z so >

// Travel limits after homing (units are in mm)
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MIN_POS -5
#define X_MAX_POS 180
#define Y_MAX_POS 180
#define Z_MAX_POS 150
You also haven't enabled autobed leveling yet.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
February 12, 2016 12:02AM
Is there a problem with the X endstop on the right? Of all the instructions and videos I've watched, I haven't seen on on the left yet. It homes there and I set some of those parameters this way to stop the X axis from printing backwards. And setting up the auto level is the reason I'm here. I'm still using the Z endstop so I don't crash. When I get a handle of what I'm doing with it, I intend to switch to the servo mounted endstop switch. I really appreciate the assistance.
February 12, 2016 12:06AM
Oh, I have also converted my extruder to a remote. I know there are backlash and accuracy issues with them. So far I have Far less problems with this extruder setup them with the direct drive head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 12:07AM by Kenwolfe.
February 12, 2016 08:48AM
Kenwolfe
Is there a problem with the X endstop on the right? Of all the instructions and videos I've watched, I haven't seen on on the left yet. It homes there and I set some of those parameters this way to stop the X axis from printing backwards. And setting up the auto level is the reason I'm here. I'm still using the Z endstop so I don't crash. When I get a handle of what I'm doing with it, I intend to switch to the servo mounted endstop switch. I really appreciate the assistance.

I don't mean to sound abrasive but you really need to spend some 'quality time' going backwards through these posts looking for those pertaining to auto bed leveling. There's a wealth of knowledge in there which will help in your pursuit of knowledge. Yes, it is understood that the X has to be moved to the left for auto bed leveling to function properly. One person did post that he has it working with the X stop on the right but I never saw his config file to see how he did it.

I would suggest moving the endstop to the left and get your machine back functioning before jumping into auto bed leveling. One step at a time. Then I'd be happy to share my config file with you. I'm no expert by any means but I used a lot of info posted here to get me to the point where my 1.1.0 RC3 works with my BLTOUCH, which IMHO is the easiest solution.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
February 12, 2016 10:21AM
That's part of the problem. There is a large amount of information with no way to easily figure out the best route for my situation. That said, it takes a whole lot more direct bitching before I consider what you're saying is abrasive. I'm the one asking for assistance. You could have just as easily ignored my request.

Ok, before I go any further I'll make the changes you suggest. It must be ok.....your system works! Thanks for the pointers, and your patience!

It'll be a couple days before I can get back to this. One quick question: would it be prudent for me to drop back one update for a stable version? Or do you think it'll be ok?

Thanks,
Ken
February 12, 2016 10:33AM
I found the Folgertech Wiki board. That certainly puts all the information in one location.
February 12, 2016 11:07AM
I have what may seem to be a stupid question. When people are saying left and right, from which direction are they looking?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 11:13AM by Ecky.
February 12, 2016 12:59PM
The confusion comes in because the Folgertech design puts the heated build plate in reverse position. If you're looking at the plate, the lettering is upside down, the power supply is on the right rear. So, the right is your right while looking at it.
February 12, 2016 05:55PM
Kenwolfe
That's part of the problem. There is a large amount of information with no way to easily figure out the best route for my situation. That said, it takes a whole lot more direct bitching before I consider what you're saying is abrasive. I'm the one asking for assistance. You could have just as easily ignored my request.

Ok, before I go any further I'll make the changes you suggest. It must be ok.....your system works! Thanks for the pointers, and your patience!

It'll be a couple days before I can get back to this. One quick question: would it be prudent for me to drop back one update for a stable version? Or do you think it'll be ok?

Thanks,
Ken

No, the 1.1.0 RC3 works just fine. As far as the info goes, you DO have to be selective for sure as to what you look at. Use the Folgertech Wikia link in my signature and search for auto level. Also search the ENTIRE website since auto bed leveling is discussed in many places. It DOES take time but it's time well spent.

February 12, 2016 06:08PM
Kenwolfe
So, the right is your right while looking at it.

Looking from top down, is what I understand? Power supply and electronics closest to me.
February 13, 2016 02:59PM
If you have a Folger i3 2020 looking down the electronics are on the right, behind the right side upright. The heated plate is upside down.
February 13, 2016 09:32PM
I have the acrylic model and I built it with the electronics on the right. My X axis endstop is on the left and the Y axis endstop is on the left back attached to the left threaded rod. I would like to get some assistance with debugging the firmware after the installation of a proximity switch. I'll photograph it tomorrow to aid in understanding the setup.
February 13, 2016 09:42PM
You might do better starting your own thread. I started this thread because I want to set up my servo based auto level. I've made some changes at the recommendation of tjnamtiw. Once I get everything else working again, I'm going to come back for follow up. Thank you tjnamtiw for your help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2016 09:49PM by Kenwolfe.
February 14, 2016 08:53PM
Ecky
I have the acrylic model and I built it with the electronics on the right. My X axis endstop is on the left and the Y axis endstop is on the left back attached to the left threaded rod. I would like to get some assistance with debugging the firmware after the installation of a proximity switch. I'll photograph it tomorrow to aid in understanding the setup.

You need to start another thread, rather than burying your new question in this thread. It will get much more attention.

February 15, 2016 04:10PM
No problem. Will start new thread in a couple of days.

Thanks for your assistance so far.
April 02, 2016 10:41PM
Ok, sorry for the long delay. I had a medical thing that kept me away from the printer. I did follow your lead and purchased a BLTouch Sensor. I have it installed and ready to go. I'm still having issues with home positions, parking positions, movement direction and more. I did relocate the X stop to the left side and this is where it starts to get confused. Is there any chance you'd be willing to send a copy of your config file(s) since you have your machine tweaked? Thanks for the help you already gave me.
Ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login