Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Metalizing" my Prusa i3

Posted by roli 
"Metalizing" my Prusa i3
February 18, 2016 05:03PM
Hi!
I currently own a Prusa i3 that was built from a few different parts. Basically I bought a cheap kit with acrylic frame and a separate aluminum frame (because it was cheaper than getting an aluminum kit directly). I have a knock-off e3d hot-end (looks pretty much like e3d but isn't - though all of the e3d parts actually fit). Plus a slightly unstandard extruder ( [www.thingiverse.com] ). This all worked fine when I first built it. I was actually really impressed then. But the accuracy has declined a lot during the last year. Things went out of calibration, a few minor plastic parts cracked, ... Basically I've spent more time repairing it than printing.

So I have decided to do a rebuild of this thing. Namely replacing as much of the plastic parts as possible with metal versions. First I will get a steel frame which I think will help with a lot of issues (things that were a bit dodgy when I first built it). But I need a bit of help with the rest...

I was wondering if there are any metal x carriage parts out there. I've found a metal X carriage ( [www.ebay.com] ). But what about the rest? Like the motor mount and belt tensioner? Are there any metal variations out there?

And secondly - the extruder. I intend to keep the hot-end. But I would really like to get an all metal extruder. Either geared or direct drive. Possibly 3mm. Any recommendations for that? Ebay is full of them but I am not sure which ones are any good.
Re: "Metalizing" my Prusa i3
February 19, 2016 10:39AM
roli

I was wondering if there are any metal x carriage parts out there. I've found a metal X carriage ( [www.ebay.com] ). But what about the rest? Like the motor mount and belt tensioner? Are there any metal variations out there?

Yes: [createc3d.com]

Based: [www.thingiverse.com]
February 19, 2016 02:28PM
VincentM
Yes: [createc3d.com]
Awesome!
I've also found something similar ( [www.geeetech.com] ). But I think I like yours better.

What about the extruder? Any ideas about that? I know that I mentioned keeping my current hot-end but that is not necessary.

I would go for 1.75mm in a second, but I have almost 2kg of 3mm fillament left and I don't want to get rid of it. Other than that I really don't have any preferences. But another important question here is also - should I go for bowden setup or direct drive? I mostly use my setup for printing customized housings for my electronic projects. These are usually a bit bigger in size and they need to look as good as possible.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2016 10:10PM by roli.
February 24, 2016 10:27AM
I'm also interested in getting a steel frame and I found this: [orballoprinting.com]
(Also from spain) Quiet less shipping costs.
February 24, 2016 10:40AM
madias
I'm also interested in getting a steel frame and I found this: [orballoprinting.com]
(Also from spain) Quiet less shipping costs.

Read this before buy it: [forums.reprap.org]
February 24, 2016 04:31PM
Hello,

Createc3d.com It is the worst store where you can buy. The laser cut is very bad, with many burrs. after several emails I've received no response ... In my opinion they are not professional
February 24, 2016 05:18PM
Hello,

I bought a 3d printer complete kit in orballoprinting a few weeks ago. I'm impressive with the frame. The structure is very strong and rigid. I'm going buy another frame for a friend ( to update his acrylic structure)

Greetings!
February 25, 2016 10:45AM
@Vincent: Thank you for your link. Fortunately I only need the steel frame. The people were complaining about the whole set (missing and bad chinese copy parts (hotend/extruder)) and the delivery time (as I buy nearly all electronic things via aliexpress, I've learned how to wait for parcels...).
February 28, 2016 08:08AM
A short update... I have recently ordered a steel frame (on ebay) - before I saw the Orballo link above. I've also ordered the metal x axis and a metal extruder ( [www.geeetech.com] ) from geeetech.

I was very close to selecting a bowden setup with an e3d hotend but people have scared me away from bowden setups for now. It's now time to wait for everything to arrive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login