Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is there a kit for a large format 3d Printer?

Posted by Ish 
Ish
Is there a kit for a large format 3d Printer?
March 07, 2016 12:21PM
Is there a kit for a large format 3d Printer? I'm looking for a something that will print large items in the dimensional build volume of say a Gmax XT or a Taz 5. Maybe someone has a shopping cart of stuff to make a Prusa with longer beams.

Ishy
Re: Is there a kit for a large format 3d Printer?
March 13, 2016 04:56PM
This guy does two kits on ebay, I don't know what the quality is like also depending on where you live shipping from Spain may be expensive. The biggest one with a print area of 400x400x400 seems huge, I don't know what you would use that for in everyday usage.

[www.ebay.co.uk]

[www.ebay.co.uk]
Ish
March 13, 2016 06:00PM
Thanks for this info. What I've decided to do is take the design of Folgertech's Delta and doubling the length on rods and beams.
October 05, 2016 02:43AM
Hi Ish!

I am also looking into large format kits. I am debating if it is better to go with a delta or a cartesian style printer for large formats. What has been your experience with the folger tech... especially doubling the rods and beams?

Thanks
Ish
October 05, 2016 06:47AM
Since posting the question I have had a large delta with double the build of a standard one and a folgertech FT-5. Both work well for their purposes.
October 07, 2016 12:52AM
Thanks Ish! So the folger kit worked well for doubling it in size? or would the ft-5 be easier to extend in size? I am a beginner in building 3d printers so i am looking for the option that gives me less obstacles in the process of changing the size. Unless there is a reprap kit out there that already has a larger build platform I think the folgertech kits seems like a good option to go with.

Thanks again for taking the time
October 08, 2016 11:06PM
The Folger Tech FT5 is a great kit for the money. It's been working great for me. I've had their 2020 i3 for about a year and it's been very reliable. The FT5 is huge in comparison yet just as reliable. I'm not thrilled with the melamine parts but they do the job if you retighten from time to time. You also need to ensure everything is square and flat too.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
Ish
October 09, 2016 02:23AM
I would stick with the FT-5. It just works better out of the box over an extended Kossel. Once you have a solid printer id would build the kossel.
October 13, 2016 03:18AM
Don't mean to hijack, but related..

Does anyone make these large kits WITHOUT the electronics?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2016 03:18AM by veaceonee.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login