TEVO Tarantula - The new king of kits
March 10, 2016 02:26AM
I love building printers, and I even love it more when they actually work. So far I've done 2x Folger Tech i3 2020 (Still use both), 1x GEEETech i3 (Sold it), 2x Makibox A6 HT (Sold 1, other for sale), 1x Kwuson Delta (For Sale) and now the Tevo Tarantula.

Of the lot, I'd have to say the Tarantula was the easiest to build and best thought out and packaged. Not to say there weren't issues needing attention (there were, and I will explain them), but I found it took me less time to build than any of the other kits excepting the Makibox. Tuning was a breeze as well, it almost ran perfect right out of the box. I was initially suspicious of the price; $325 CAD shipped? Must be junk, right? Not so much. I now kinda wish I had room for another 1 or 3 of these! I'm even considering selling my workhorse FolgerTech machines to replace with the Tarantula and I love the FT's so that's saying a lot.

The biggest factor in this kit being such a breeze is the Facebook group dedicated to it. One of the members made a set of videos that go through the build step-by-step and although his Mic was noisy, the vids saved the kit and the helpful people in the group made it even better. The guy who makes and sells the kits is also an active member on the group which says a lot for the integrity of the company to me!

I ordered through AliExpress and asked for ABS as I prefer it to PLA. Unfortunately they responded (within a couple hours) that they had no more ABS so I said PLA would be fine and figured I'd just give the rolls away with my printers I'm selling. That's not going to happen...more details further down.

The Good:
- Rails and wheels = zero noise. The fans are the loudest thing about this machine! It's quieter than my Delta and eliminated the LM8UU that is the bane of my FT Prusas.
- 200x200x200 advertised, but in reality, 205x205x210 as it comes.
- Highly stable
- Well packaged and organized.
- Responsive customer service.
- Free SD card with the kit for untethered printing.
- Free spools of PLA (hit or miss, I got two and one was hit, the other a miss)
- Toolkit includes most things you need for assembly.
- So very easy to build when you get proper instruction.

The Bad:
- Included instructions are incomplete
- included PLA... I got a roll of Green that was garbage and a roll of white that was not great quality, but was usable.
- the tiny Allan key for the frame braces is the wrong size and will strip the little inserts.
- Hot End needs a good check and cleanup. Don't even think about setting it up without this!
- PSU handling... not really a deal breaker, but I'm used to kit where the PSU can mount somewhere to the frame. With the Tarantula, it just kinda sits off to the side. I'm probably just being picky with this one.

Here's the box, and let it be known that I love spiders; I love that they eat bugs and all that stuff, but they creep the hell out of me. I prefer them nowhere near me. When I brought the box in the house, my kids said "Don't look, but there's a giant spider going to get you!" For the record, it got me.

On opening, I was relieved to not find any spiders big or small swarming about or jumping at me. It was a very well packed and organized kit. Nothing askew at all.

I grabbed the instruction booklet and started building it right away... then I realized the booklet was pretty much useless but pushed on anyway. Now, by this point I was aware of and part of the Facebook group; I knew about the videos but hadn't watched any as I wanted to go at the kit like anyone else and see how far it could take me on it's own. I got the carriages assembled and the frame assembled, but then the book stops and shows a single, very small picture of all the parts going together. honestly, the only part really worth having the book around for is the picture of the control board connections. My advice, forget the manual, watch the videos.

Exploded diagrams aren't awful, but the orientation of the plates is hard to see since the pictures are so dark.

Hot End constructed, but the one bolt wasn't able to be attached do to misalignment of the hole. Not really a big deal but others on the Facebook page have shown much worse alignment issues. Now with the Hot End, You NEEEED to take it apart and clean it up. Inside and out. Mine had shaving all through the fins that needed to be brushed off and the inner aspect needed to be deburred and smoothed out a bit. I used an M3 Allan key to push off the burrs and ridges although something like a tiny wire brush or sanding stick might have worked as good or better. This was also an afterthought as I'd assembled and started printing, then had a clog as some of the debris got into my nozzle. An ounce of prevention....

Y-Axis plate and parts. Went together well but they really needed to add another washer on the Eccentric Nut side of things for leveling. Adding the single nut to both of those shafts helped in big ways later on. There's plenty of extras in the kit so just do it now!

X-Axis and Carriage. Build as described.

Bottom frame...I assumed the braces were to be centered but it doesn't really say in the Manual. I centered with 19mm on either side and it's working so if it ain't broke...

Now here's how I ended after 2 hours from kit opening to being ready to head to bed. It's also as far as the instruction booklet went so you can see there's a lot more to guess at (or watch the videos!!) from this point on. I went to bed and opened the vids the next day.

More to come....

Sigil Pickups || Stunt Monkey Pedals
Re: TEVO Tarantula - The new king of kits
March 10, 2016 11:02AM
Great review man, glad you are enjoying the printer as much as me. I have 2 and a Sunhokey Acrylic 2015 edittion. My hokey has mods all over it, not in the case of the Tarantula.

I'm also glad my videos are being used for the builds. I know they have made a few changes to the hardware included since my videos came out so I am trying to add annotations and notes where applicable.

I did a video review of the printer as well
[www.youtube.com]

I plan on doing one more video comparing it to my Sunhokey.

Enjoy the Tarantula!

-Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 11:03AM by ArcadEd.
March 10, 2016 11:48PM
Thanks Ed, and your videos were what made this kit work for me. Great job on them and THANK YOU for taking the time.

Now some more pics and thoughts...

When it came to leveling the X-Axis, I was having a time of it with the carriages moving and the T-Nuts not grabbing...I thought I'd make use of the Y-tray before putting it in. I used it to hold the X-Axis in place perfectly level for tightening everything up. The sides fit in the extrusion slots without any wiggle.

Now affixing the X-carriage and top brackets I printed...not necessary, but they do add some stability! (Ignore the motor standoff, it was removed in short order.)

First real issue... the Bowden tube thingy snapped when I tightened it into the Extruder arm. I had to work it out with some pliers and then the remaining part fit perfectly without further issue.

Here's the Y-Axis finding it's way onto the machine; I remixed a tensioner from Thingiverse that I used on my Folger Tech machines so it fit the Tarantula. Doesn't interfere with the pulleys in any way.

Installed;

To get the bed pre-leveled, I used a couple extra L-brackets that I didn't use. I printed them before fully digging into the kit and finding the existing Acrylic L-brackets.

I also found an adjustable Z-Stop on Thingiverse that sounded like a good idea so printed and installed it as well.

And the X-axis tensioner...the Y-tensioner I made didn't fit up here without hitting the Axis bolts so I had to slim it down considerably.

Final assembly with wires cleaned up and LCD mounted up top. Clean wire routes seems to be half the battle on most printer kits and I wanted it done asap.

And first print after fine tuning the software. I opted to switch to Marlin as it's what I run on all my machines and found a recent and fully updated version linked on the Facebook Group;

Now here's something funny... I don't use PLA but figured I'd try the stuff they sent and this is what I found on opening the package. LOTs of little breaks.

I read that a lot of people had the same thing and some reported that it was only for a few inches. I started to despool it to see if it was usable a bit deeper in. Nope. It was all broken throughout. The other roll of White PLA was perfectly usable though so I did try it, but again it's not my forte so the print was pretty bad. I have used one other roll of PLA from another company on my Delta with beautiful results, so not sure if it's the filament or my settings.

Afterthoughts... I do love this machine and will buy another one, likely within the next week. The price is ridiculous (cheap) for what you get. It's faster printing than any of my other machines and the quality is superb with ABS. It seems very stable and when I moved it downstairs I didn't even have to relevel the bed. It's nearly silent and just works! I've had to upgrade my other machines to take care of some shortcomings but this one needed nothing. The upgrades I added are purely for my own benefit and aesthetics. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get into 3D Printing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 11:49PM by CheopisIV.

March 11, 2016 05:49AM
Why do they double up the extrusions on the x- and y-axis, but the wheels/rollers are still running on the narrow side?
March 12, 2016 05:58AM
How smooth is the Z-axis with only 1 screw?
March 12, 2016 09:23AM
The Mechanic
How smooth is the Z-axis with only 1 screw?

Zero issues with the Z-Azis. It prints perfect so far. The wheels are incredibly silent and secure.

March 14, 2016 03:24AM
The electronics are covered with acrylic sheets *shivers*
I see a lot of static electricity looking for a chance to kill the boards.
March 17, 2016 03:20PM
Hi, im new to 3d printing . I started with a prussa i3 acrylic frame geetech. I aim to upgrade it to aluminum frame but i will need in the future a few more printers proceed with my work flow. Im happy with the geetech so far even with the acrylic frame.So here is my question : i saw this model and i really like it is it worth it compare to the aluminum frame prussa i3 geetech or compare to hephestos and form those models what is more stable from the basic models and less parts that need replacement after usage .I hope my question is clear thanks in advance smiling smiley i calculated and need about 5 printers to run my projects faster smiling smiley
March 17, 2016 03:51PM
The Mighty Gorgonion
Hi, im new to 3d printing . I started with a prussa i3 acrylic frame geetech. I aim to upgrade it to aluminum frame but i will need in the future a few more printers proceed with my work flow. Im happy with the geetech so far even with the acrylic frame.So here is my question : i saw this model and i really like it is it worth it compare to the aluminum frame prussa i3 geetech or compare to hephestos and form those models what is more stable from the basic models and less parts that need replacement after usage .I hope my question is clear thanks in advance smiling smiley i calculated and need about 5 printers to run my projects faster smiling smiley

Haha, can never have too many printers!!! I'm currently up to 4 running and a Mega Delta nearing completion. For upkeep, the Tarantula will need the least maintenance once completed. The wheels are the most suspect for wear. Most other Prusa derivatives use LM8UU or other linear bearings that wear out, especially when you get cheap ones from eBay. I printed some in ABS for my Folger Tech i3 machines and they lasted ~4 months before needing replacement, then the steel ball LM8UU I put in were worn in a couple weeks and need attention once more.

I run direct drive Wade's extruders on my Folger Tech machines so do all materials on them, the small delta and Tarantula have Bowden tubes so I stick to PLA and ABS on them so far. I'm sure the Tarantula will handle all materials once I dial it in a bit better in the Firmware. I'm going to get another one if I can sell the small Delta off.

March 17, 2016 07:43PM
Is the bowden extruder working out well? What kind of board is it? The z is working well with only 1 motor?

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Wiki

Custom google search for the Folger Tech 2020 i3 forum topic by Animoose
March 17, 2016 07:51PM
UltiFix
Is the bowden extruder working out well? What kind of board is it? The z is working well with only 1 motor?

The printer is working fantastic. The board is an MKS all in one and I'm running Marlin on it rather than the default Repetier Firmware they ship with.

March 17, 2016 10:05PM
CheopisIV
UltiFix

The printer is working fantastic. The board is an MKS all in one and I'm running Marlin on it rather than the default Repetier Firmware they ship with.
I currently have a folger 2020, how much of a time difference in assembly was the taranutla vs the folger?

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Wiki

Custom google search for the Folger Tech 2020 i3 forum topic by Animoose
March 17, 2016 11:24PM
Well, that's a tough one. My first Folgertech 2020 took a few days and then a few months later another day to clean up the wires. My second Follgertech 2020 took maybe 6-8 hours including wire cleanup with splicing and soldering.

The Tarantula took a total of 5-6 hours with wire cleanup (with the videos as guides) and required no splicing, but I had to resolder 2 of the endstops which I pulled the wires off when messing with things. It's a really simple build and and really easy if you're already familiar with building kits. Although it is completely different than any of the printer kits I've done. I mean it when I say I want another one, but it's not going to replace my FT 2020 i3s any time soon just because I have them dialed in perfect.

Also of note, I heavily modded both my Folgertech printers but the Tarantula is basically stock aside from the tensioners and Z-enstop plate.

March 18, 2016 06:15AM
Thanks.I think when i have the bucks i will go for it. i need a cheap base model that has sturdy frame and the rest you can change latter.So its good to hear that wont need much to maintain.The geetech i have has a mk8 extruder on it the acrylic frame is garbage also the base that hold the nozzle etc Also i have no idea what board is better to have i have sunguilololu and i have the idea that is not the best not that i m an expert its the only one i ever lay hands on smiling smiley .I was thinking to go fro the aluminum frame for it (the geetech) but then i saw this and i thought this might be better if you have any other model suggestion feel free to share also i have the feeling the rods are more durable and from that more precise or not? .Thanks for the respond i hope when i finish my project i can share it here i hope il have my work shop up and running this year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2016 07:11AM by The Mighty Gorgonion.
Anonymous User
March 18, 2016 04:53PM
The X axis is hanging from one lead screw plus a flexible coupler then motor isn't ?

As for the bed, can you try to put let's say 100g on one corner and measure the deflection with a micrometer ? How much ? When I see the narrow track, I think about the way the police ask to walk to check if you are sober smiling smiley

ANd they still use smooth idler pulleys !

PS: linear ball bearing guides are easily damaged by poor installation, improper guide rods, improper lubrication. Plastic wheels because of their elasticity can tolerate poor alignement and their bigger ball bearings won't give up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2016 04:53PM by MKSA.
March 18, 2016 08:33PM
MKSA
The X axis is hanging from one lead screw plus a flexible coupler then motor isn't ?

As for the bed, can you try to put let's say 100g on one corner and measure the deflection with a micrometer ? How much ? When I see the narrow track, I think about the way the police ask to walk to check if you are sober smiling smiley

ANd they still use smooth idler pulleys !

PS: linear ball bearing guides are easily damaged by poor installation, improper guide rods, improper lubrication. Plastic wheels because of their elasticity can tolerate poor alignement and their bigger ball bearings won't give up.

X-Axis is (edit: hanging from) a single motor, leadscrew and coupler. So far I get more precise prints and zero Z axis drift or wobble. Compared to my Folger Tech i3 2020s, this one is more capable of precision fitting parts without manipulating settings in S3D.

I have no deflection on the plate as tightened the springs down a lot. They are huge and I thought it would wobble or vibrate but give enough tension and there's no movement. When do you have 100G weights sitting on your print bed btw??

Idlers are smooth, again I don't see the issue here as long as the belts are tensioned properly. No different than running them on bearings like most kits which are also smooth.

Yeah, you could nick the wheels if not built properly, but you can damage anything is not built properly. The benefit I can see of these type over the plastic wheels I used on my Deltas is these are perfectly silent. Slippage and wear...yet to be determined smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2016 10:17AM by CheopisIV.

Anonymous User
March 19, 2016 01:50AM
CheopisIV

X-Axis is a single motor, leadscrew and coupler. So far I get more precise prints and zero Z axis drift or wobble. Compared to my Folger Tech i3 2020s, this one is more capable of precision fitting parts without manipulating settings in S3D.

I have no deflection on the plate as tightened the springs down a lot. They are huge and I thought it would wobble or vibrate but give enough tension and there's no movement. When do you have 100G weights sitting on your print bed btw??

Idlers are smooth, again I don't see the issue here as long as the belts are tensioned properly. No different than running them on bearings like most kits which are also smooth.

Yeah, you could nick the wheels if not built properly, but you can damage anything is not built properly. The benefit I can see of these type over the plastic wheels I used on my Deltas is these are perfectly silent. Slippage and wear...yet to be determined smiling smiley

You didn't answer my questions.

If the X axis carriage (rails,motor , hotend...) is hanging from this Z FLEXIBLE coupler, it is bad !

With this 100 g weight (or about that, a Nema17 40mm stepper motor is about 250 g) I wanted to see how rigid the Y set up is.

Refer to proper use of timing belts technical references regarding the idler pulleys.

The Folger is flawed , can't be used as a reference but this is not the subject.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2016 05:46AM by MKSA.
March 19, 2016 10:16AM
None of those are questions, just opinions and I did answer the Y-plate deflection (none). Of course I can push on it and make it move but that's no different than anything else.

I didn't design it so don't care whether people think it's good or bad; I bought, built and tuned one of them and found it to be an excellent kit at a ridiculously low price. It outshines my other production machines that I've been running commercially since July last year. I have them tuned up as well, but they took a lot more attention than this one has so far. Granted, I've only had the Tarantula for a couple weeks and issues could crop up, but so far I'd say anyone with any kind fo technical savvy could get this one running with minimal fuss.

Anyone interested in the kit should also look for and joint the Facebook group. It's an active bunch and those guys are incredibly helpful. Other people who built the kit have had other issues that you can see there.

Anonymous User
March 19, 2016 10:53AM
CheopisIV
None of those are questions, just opinions and I did answer the Y-plate deflection (none). Of course I can push on it and make it move but that's no different than anything else.

I didn't design it so don't care whether people think it's good or bad; I bought, built and tuned one of them and found it to be an excellent kit at a ridiculously low price. It outshines my other production machines that I've been running commercially since July last year. I have them tuned up as well, but they took a lot more attention than this one has so far. Granted, I've only had the Tarantula for a couple weeks and issues could crop up, but so far I'd say anyone with any kind fo technical savvy could get this one running with minimal fuss.

Anyone interested in the kit should also look for and joint the Facebook group. It's an active bunch and those guys are incredibly helpful. Other people who built the kit have had other issues that you can see there.

I have asked question you failed to answer and stated what is bad engineering practice.

No Y plate deflection ? Really, what kind of micrometer did you use ?

Your "flamboyant" appraisal can lead people into buying yet an other let's say "substandard product". This is why I have to raise these objections.
March 19, 2016 03:15PM
Take the review for what it is... I bought the kit, built and tuned it and expressed my opinions on the process related to the 6 other kits I've built; nothing 'flamboyant' about anything but your trolling.

If you want to discuss design flaws then by all means get in touch with the guy selling them because I'm not interested as I don't sell them. He's quick to respond when contacted and seems open to suggestions. He's also active on the Facebook group if you do care to track him down. Now, If you're in the process of designing your own affordable 3D printing kit that adheres to technical and mechanical excellence then by all means let me know. I'd be happy to buy, build and review it as well.

March 21, 2016 09:57AM
CheopisIV
Take the review for what it is... I bought the kit, built and tuned it and expressed my opinions on the process related to the 6 other kits I've built; nothing 'flamboyant' about anything but your trolling.

If you want to discuss design flaws then by all means get in touch with the guy selling them because I'm not interested as I don't sell them. He's quick to respond when contacted and seems open to suggestions. He's also active on the Facebook group if you do care to track him down. Now, If you're in the process of designing your own affordable 3D printing kit that adheres to technical and mechanical excellence then by all means let me know. I'd be happy to buy, build and review it as well.

Good review, Cheopis. Ignore the troll, who appears to be just looking for an argument. I went to Aliexpress and looked at it. It looks good. My only question when I researched the main board was that I saw no connections for a servo, which you need for auto bed leveling. I wrote to the seller and he said there is provision for auto bed leveling, but I don't see it on Wikipedia site for the board. Do you have connections for servos? I would want to put a BLTOUCH on it.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
March 21, 2016 10:13AM
I don;t use autoleveling on any of my machines except the Delta. After playing with that I might look into doing it up though, it's pretty slick! One of the Facebook Group Members did up an Autolevel setup guide in PDF, I'll link it here;
[www.sigilpickups.com]

I've been printing off some parts for my next project (Mosly Printed CNC) and have found I'm limited to ~65mm print speeds. The Y-Axis isn't an issue but the Z-Axis wobbles back and forth quite a bit when going over 70mm/s but mostly just the first 6 layers then settles down. I'm going to replace the little internal 'L' connectors with something more robust and see if it improved. Truth be told, I stripped some of the little nubs on them before realizing the Allan key (included) was the wrong size so it might just need some of those.

March 21, 2016 03:19PM
CheopisIV
I don;t use autoleveling on any of my machines except the Delta. After playing with that I might look into doing it up though, it's pretty slick! One of the Facebook Group Members did up an Autolevel setup guide in PDF, I'll link it here;
[www.sigilpickups.com]

I've been printing off some parts for my next project (Mosly Printed CNC) and have found I'm limited to ~65mm print speeds. The Y-Axis isn't an issue but the Z-Axis wobbles back and forth quite a bit when going over 70mm/s but mostly just the first 6 layers then settles down. I'm going to replace the little internal 'L' connectors with something more robust and see if it improved. Truth be told, I stripped some of the little nubs on them before realizing the Allan key (included) was the wrong size so it might just need some of those.

Thanks for the info on the autolevel feature on the Tarantula. They simply plug it in in place of the Z limit switch, as usual, but for servo type or the BLTOUCH, you need a servo output as well as the Z limit. Both servo and BLTOUCH allow you to use a glass plate printing surface without the hassle of trying to place a metal sheet below it. It makes it much simpler.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
March 31, 2016 12:21AM
tjnamtiw
CheopisIV
[www.sigilpickups.com]

Thanks for the info on the autolevel feature on the Tarantula. They simply plug it in in place of the Z limit switch, as usual, but for servo type or the BLTOUCH, you need a servo output as well as the Z limit. Both servo and BLTOUCH allow you to use a glass plate printing surface without the hassle of trying to place a metal sheet below it. It makes it much simpler.

Well now you've done it. I just ordered a few BL Touch units from eBay for my FolgerTech machines, the Mega Delta and one to try on the Tarantula. I'll post my findings when they arrive winking smiley

April 01, 2016 07:47PM
I read over on the FaceBook page for the Tarantula that TEVO has switched from a 2 mm lead screw to an 8 mm lead screw. That has got to really put a load on that one Z stepper motor and driver! Is yours 2 mm?

April 02, 2016 08:37AM
April 02, 2016 09:19AM
3dprinteronlinestore
Purchase link: [www.3dprintersonlinestore.com]

Since you've turned this string into a blatant advertisement, please tell me why you switched to an 8 mm pitch lead screw and probably quadrupled the load on the Z stepper motor, which was doubled before that by only having one of them? There's proof via pictures of before and after over on the FB user group site.

It looks like a very nice kit but switching such things out means that the buyer really has no idea what he's buying. And Leonardo on the FT site wants a buyer who has a problem with a main board to ship it back to China before you send him a replacement. By my analysis, using USPS Flat Rate Overseas box, that will cost $31.95 plus another $13.95 for registering it, if my memory serves me right. That's about $46 to send a $20 board back!

April 02, 2016 11:16AM
tjnamtiw
3dprinteronlinestore

Since you've turned this string into a blatant advertisement, please tell me why you switched to an 8 mm pitch lead screw and probably quadrupled the load on the Z stepper motor, which was doubled before that by only having one of them? There's proof via pictures of before and after over on the FB user group site.

It looks like a very nice kit but switching such things out means that the buyer really has no idea what he's buying. And Leonardo on the FT site wants a buyer who has a problem with a main board to ship it back to China before you send him a replacement. By my analysis, using USPS Flat Rate Overseas box, that will cost $31.95 plus another $13.95 for registering it, if my memory serves me right. That's about $46 to send a $20 board back!

Ouch! That doesn't sound right but I've not been active in the FB group recently; too busy printing out the MPCNC from Vicious1.com ... ~150 hours of printing. I think these electronics boards are disposable really, much cheaper to get a new one if the old one goes up in smoke.

I've been doing most of the MPCNC prints on the Tarantula in PETG with awesome results. I've still not had any printing issues on it aside from those I pointed out in the review. That said, I'm trading the Tarantula to a friend for his Folgertech kit which he's having trouble getting done up. I built my printer bench to the size of the FT machines as that's all I had when I made it; the Tarantula has a 23" long footprint with the V-Slot and I have a 19" table top. Originally I was going to sell the FT machines and outfit the den with Tarantulas but then I'd have to change the whole workspace again which doesn't make sense.

In the end, they both print the same quality and are both amazing kits. Next up is to finish the Mega Delta and get the MPCNC running. It also looks like making a multihead MPCNC into a ginormous 3D printer isn't too big a stretch so might be something to consider....

April 02, 2016 05:43PM
CheopisIV
tjnamtiw
3dprinteronlinestore

Ouch! That doesn't sound right but I've not been active in the FB group recently; too busy printing out the MPCNC from Vicious1.com ... ~150 hours of printing. I think these electronics boards are disposable really, much cheaper to get a new one if the old one goes up in smoke.

I've been doing most of the MPCNC prints on the Tarantula in PETG with awesome results. I've still not had any printing issues on it aside from those I pointed out in the review. That said, I'm trading the Tarantula to a friend for his Folgertech kit which he's having trouble getting done up. I built my printer bench to the size of the FT machines as that's all I had when I made it; the Tarantula has a 23" long footprint with the V-Slot and I have a 19" table top. Originally I was going to sell the FT machines and outfit the den with Tarantulas but then I'd have to change the whole workspace again which doesn't make sense.

In the end, they both print the same quality and are both amazing kits. Next up is to finish the Mega Delta and get the MPCNC running. It also looks like making a multihead MPCNC into a ginormous 3D printer isn't too big a stretch so might be something to consider....

Can't wait to see that CNC working AND a BIG BERTHA printer!

What really scares me about the Tarantula with the 8 mm pitch lead screws is that the drivers are built into the board so, like you said, the board has to be disposable just like the little separate drivers on our RAMPS boards. With people adjusting/misadjusting stepper currents helter skelter, maybe investing in MKS stock is a good idea!

April 02, 2016 07:29PM
I'm pretty sure mine is the 2mm pitch and it does run fine. On the 4 RAMPS/MEGA based kits I've built, I've cooked one stepper control and not really sure if I did it or if it was semi faulty from the start. It was nice to be able to pull it and install a new one with no fuss!!

I'm thinking this next FT machine is going to get some healthy mods. When I built the first one, I ordered some extra parts that never made their way in since I had the machine running great in mostly-stock config. I should do up a mod thread on it when I do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login