Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrading from Ramps to Duet

Posted by Caribou 
Upgrading from Ramps to Duet
March 16, 2016 09:09AM
Hi all, I am building a Prusa I3 variant at the moment and it came with a RAMPS / Arduino combination. All well and good, but I have a Duet board that I want to use. Has anyone here done this yet? I imagine it will be fairly straight forward to do but was looking for any hints or tips on what to expect. I'm a S/W developer by day so I don't fear Arduino Sketches or compiling stuff if that is likely to be required.

tips gratefully received.
Re: Upgrading from Ramps to Duet
March 16, 2016 11:46AM
I converted a RAMPS-powered delta to a Duet - electrically there's little difference, motors plug in, power goes in and out, that sort of stuff. No need to worry about compilation as you just load up the latest firmware, adjust the config files and... just use it.

The Duet board is now on a CoreXY machine, and it just... works. No fuss, just changed a few parameters in the config file, uploaded a few macros, and carried on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2016 11:46AM by David J.
March 16, 2016 12:22PM
David J
I converted a RAMPS-powered delta to a Duet - electrically there's little difference, motors plug in, power goes in and out, that sort of stuff. No need to worry about compilation as you just load up the latest firmware, adjust the config files and... just use it.

The Duet board is now on a CoreXY machine, and it just... works. No fuss, just changed a few parameters in the config file, uploaded a few macros, and carried on.

Brilliant, thanks David smiling smiley
March 16, 2016 06:26PM
You'll probably find this wiki page useful when you get to edit your config file - if you haven't looked at the config file before it can look a bit daunting - but it's nowhere near as bad as editing the RAMPS configuration.h file!

Oh - you'll also need to wire up (or buy) a Y-cable for the Z axis as the Duet board only has one socket for that axis, and the Prusa has 2 Z-axis motors. Not a significant issue, as some RAMPS boards don't have 2 places to plug in the Z motors either, so the Y lead isn't too rare.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login