Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware update Issues for Hesine Printer, Anet A8-B

Posted by Sethrocon 
Firmware update Issues for Hesine Printer, Anet A8-B
March 18, 2016 10:23AM
Hello. I am having some problems updating my 3D printer firmware. I bought this model off of Aliexpress and it was working well but I came across firmware on Thingiverse that claimed to work well so I tried updating with ArduinoIDE and it uploaded fine, but the LCD screen is not working.

Aliexpress printer: [www.aliexpress.com]
Thingiverse Firmware I tried: [www.thingiverse.com]
I came across firmware that makes the LCD work properly but the configuration for the printer is not right. I think the steps are all messed up. The file I tried is from this forum: [forum.repetier.com]
The firmware is located here: [www.dropbox.com]

I will post a picture of my printer and it's motherboard.

I've tried the "stock firmware" from the builder and the same problem happens with the LCD. I can connect to the printer with Repetier and use the printer just fine, but the LCD is locked up.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Re: Firmware update Issues for Hesine Printer, Anet A8-B
March 18, 2016 01:17PM
Sethrocon

I've tried the "stock firmware" from the builder and the same problem happens with the LCD. I can connect to the printer with Repetier and use the printer just fine, but the LCD is locked up.

I have a printer with the same board. It's an Anet V1.0 from anet3d.com.

Where did you get the "stock firmware" from, if you don't mind me asking?

I have an email into anet3d.com asking about the firmware.

I'm completley new in 3D printers but since it's AT1284P based I'm assuming it's a Melzi clone of some sort so Marlin should apply. But before burning new firmware I'd like to be somewhat certian of what I'm working with.

Anyone have any further info on this borad and its firmare?
March 18, 2016 02:04PM
I contacted the seller from Aliexpress and he sent me to a dropbox account:
[www.dropbox.com]
ID:[email protected]
Passwrod: 89378800

This is everything for the printer apparently. I found the firmware in there and downloaded it then uploaded it to my printer but the LCD doesn't work. I've peered into the config file and it looks like the LCD isn't setup properly so I've asked them again for an update on it but haven't heard back yet.
March 18, 2016 03:10PM
Try changing the LCD type in the uiconfig.h file. I believe the LCD has a simple 4 bit encoder.
March 18, 2016 07:54PM
Also got this same printer and looking for firmware, company that sold it keeps saying they will send it but never do. please let me know if you find a version that works well for you.
May 02, 2016 06:37PM
I have the same one. I havent done a firmware update yet, but it seems that we have a Melzi Clone. Here is the wiki: http://reprap.org/wiki/Melzi There are links to usable firmwares there.

Here is an example of the board: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301815767959 (mine is red)

I am thinking of trying to upgrade to Marlin or Repetier, and I will report back with my results when I do. Right now, my bed temperature sensor goes nuts and the system thinks the bed goes from 84c to 93c, then again 105c to 394c ( and errors out).
May 17, 2016 10:43AM
Hello everybody, I am new to 3D printing and I need to upgrade my firmware, I have an Anet V1.0 board and not sure what software to use to update my firmware, and where to get the correct firmware, and how I would install the new firmware., I will appreciate any kind of help with this. Thank you
May 18, 2016 10:54PM
i am having the same problem with my thermistor. i just got my printer yesterday, and it worked fine then. the bed heated up no problem. but i turned it on today and my lcd said the bed was at 95 degrees. the bed was at room temp. i unplug the thermistor and then on the lcd all it says is 83 degrees. thats all i can get out of it
May 19, 2016 03:09AM
I am also a new owner of an A8-B labelled printer.
- The board might be compatible to melzi, but it definitely doesn't look like one. My board is labelled Anet V1.0; I didn't dare to update the firmware yet - and I didn't see the need to yet, either
- I had a thermistor connection issue, but it came down to a single badly crimped wire at the end of the thermistor thread (at the plug to the board) - that connection was shaky
- The printing bed was bent, and I added a fourth linear bearing to the carrier as the acrylic tended to flex
- I found the Repetier-host software a little more talkative about the printer state then the Cura that came with the printer
- As the printer was priced below 240 EUR after customs and taxes (about 260 USD) I would rate the results OK - I am printing toy parts for my children, mostly

Why are you trying to update the firmware? Any issues I didn't recognize so far?

Greetings
Rainer
June 04, 2016 08:00AM
I have the same printer and PCB labeled ANET V1.0, small, square PCB.

I have printed several items and I am seeing the bed temperature reading getting flaky.
The hot bed is warped - high in the center - ABS parts tend to pop off during printing.

I want to calibrate this thing but the M501 command does not report back the steps / distance - the M92 readings.

I am leery about uploading any firmware as I really don't know what I have here.

Any ideas on how to calibrate this printer without knowing the current M92 values?

Thanks
June 08, 2016 12:43PM
You probably got a bad thermistor. For me it was the connector - I cut the wire and replaced a new connector and it is all fine now.

However I'm deeply troubled but the problem of warped hot bed. It looks like the bed is flat when it's cold but warped when heated. I think it is because the aluminum bed expands at a different rate than the fiberglass beneath it.

Did you solve this problem (warped bed)? If so how?

Thanks,
Kenneth

dchapma1
I have the same printer and PCB labeled ANET V1.0, small, square PCB.

I have printed several items and I am seeing the bed temperature reading getting flaky.
The hot bed is warped - high in the center - ABS parts tend to pop off during printing.

I want to calibrate this thing but the M501 command does not report back the steps / distance - the M92 readings.

I am leery about uploading any firmware as I really don't know what I have here.

Any ideas on how to calibrate this printer without knowing the current M92 values?

Thanks
June 11, 2016 04:53PM
Repetier for Zonestar P802M works perfect for my Anet A8-B (https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Firmware/tree/master/boards/Zonestar%20P802M)
July 07, 2016 06:37AM
Hi roginvs,

Did you have to flash your bootloader?

When I tried to compile it with Atmega1284P (16MHz) I got error: avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=xxx

If I changed to Atmega1284P (8MHz) I was able to upload the firmware (yeah!) but now Repetier-Host can't talk to it any more.

Was that because I had to flash the bootloader?

Thanks,
Kenneth

roginvs
Repetier for Zonestar P802M works perfect for my Anet A8-B (https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Firmware/tree/master/boards/Zonestar%20P802M)
July 07, 2016 08:09AM
Hi!
I used factory bootloader for long time. I do not know, is it good way or not, but I usually do this way:
1. Poweroff printer
2. Run this command from Linux host [In my case it was Raspberry] (I suppose in windows same bat file will work too, but I had not tested it):
while true; do avrdude -b 57600 -p ATmega1284P -c stk500v1 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -C /etc/avrdude.conf -v -U flash:w:Repetier.ino.sanguino.hex:i && break ; done
3. Turn printer power to on

But not so far ago I had to change bootloader to optiboot because factory bootloader is quite big (it is 4096 bytes long and starts from 1F000), and development branch of Repetier is overlapping with this address. I used Raspberry SPI [with arvdude build which supports Linux spi] in order to upload new bootloader and change hfuse from DA to DE.

PS: Try to connect with other baudrates, multiplied or divided by 2 from original.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2016 08:21AM by roginvs.
July 09, 2016 12:02AM
Thank you so much roginvs for your detailed reply!

I tried running avrdude on command line with baudrate to be 57600 but got another error:
stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x21 (a random number here)

Eventually I flashed the boot loader and everything works again.

Thanks again for your help!
July 09, 2016 02:45PM
Another 2 things that most of you probably already knew but I didn't as I'm a newbie to Arduino:

- I have to power on the board with external source (rather than just using usb cable) to flash the firmware. Otherwise the serial port won't be present.
- If I try to flash the firmware a second time without rebooting the 3d printer, I'll get the error "avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync"
July 09, 2016 02:55PM
I think I am unable to help here. I am doing reflashing with some magic (see above the flashing script, which is trying to connect in loop and which is catching printer on coldstart), and I am not sure that this is the right way, but it works for me.
Anet V1.0 board is not an Arduino, it is just a board with Atmega1284p controller there, so it is ok that some things are not working as we usually expect from Arduino.
By the way, with Optiboot bootloader my board permitted me to reflash itself without coldstart magic.
September 01, 2016 07:14PM
Hi all.

purchased my Anet A8 recently for £118 ($145) delivery included and no tax. It arrived 24th of August (14 days after order). Now assembled and in use.

I've read down this forum topic of problems with upgrading firmware. You all seem intent (if you will forgive me) on causing yourselves problems. The golden rule for all devices - inkjets, lasers, 3d printers etc., is does it work with the supplied firmware without problems? If the answer to this question is "yes" then don't change the firmware. Given the wide variety of clones similar to most 3d printers, there is no guarantee that a revised firmware will work unless your machine is 100% compatible with the new version.

Firmware revisions are often dependent on design changes, unlike programme updates that generally offer more features.

Supermec
November 04, 2016 12:36PM
joeylevyusa
I have the same one. I havent done a firmware update yet, but it seems that we have a Melzi Clone. Here is the wiki: http://reprap.org/wiki/Melzi There are links to usable firmwares there.

Here is an example of the board: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301815767959 (mine is red)

I am thinking of trying to upgrade to Marlin or Repetier, and I will report back with my results when I do. Right now, my bed temperature sensor goes nuts and the system thinks the bed goes from 84c to 93c, then again 105c to 394c ( and errors out).

I just posted something about this same damn issue! I also just emailed them about possible firmware
November 04, 2016 06:23PM
drephuz
joeylevyusa

I just posted something about this same damn issue! I also just emailed them about possible firmware

It's more likely that the temperature problem is an electronic one in the connections to the bed thermistor (including the soldered joints on the bed) rather than firmware. As I've said several times before in response to similar posts the Anet board is a proprietary board and you are unlikely to get any details from them or any firmware updates. Any firmware found floating around on the net is unlikely to suit the board. Once you have tried installing an unsuitable firmware then there is no way back to the original, and no printing until it's sorted.

My machine has operated faultlessly with the pre-installed firmware on an almost daily basis for the last two months. Firmware doesn't change itself and doesn't screw itself. Why is it that the minute something doesn't work users assume that it's a firmware fault rather than an electronic one.

Why is it
November 10, 2016 12:07PM
Supermec
drephuz
joeylevyusa

It's more likely that the temperature problem is an electronic one in the connections to the bed thermistor (including the soldered joints on the bed) rather than firmware. As I've said several times before in response to similar posts the Anet board is a proprietary board and you are unlikely to get any details from them or any firmware updates. Any firmware found floating around on the net is unlikely to suit the board. Once you have tried installing an unsuitable firmware then there is no way back to the original, and no printing until it's sorted.

My machine has operated faultlessly with the pre-installed firmware on an almost daily basis for the last two months. Firmware doesn't change itself and doesn't screw itself. Why is it that the minute something doesn't work users assume that it's a firmware fault rather than an electronic one.

Why is it

It's because I've never gotten the temperature up high enough to test this until now... which leads me to believe it has been an issue the entire time. I'm asking for help because the bed temp is not what is displayed, and multiple people (I've found 3 on this forum in the last week) having the exact same issue leads me to believe it's not a faulty cable, but an error in configuration.

I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... I'm not going to flash my firmware on my ANET board at all, I'm just looking for some kind of confirmation. With the multiple examples of people claiming the jump from 83C to 95C, it doesn't sound like a perfect hardware malfunction on 3 similar boards, it sounds like improper software configuration. Be it in the firmware, or the repetier software. I don't think it's repetier...
December 19, 2016 10:46AM
Hi guys, I have same problem but i am really newbie in this
Where can find guide for newbies to repair avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x21?
I know i need flash the bootloader
how can I do it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login