Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z-Axis Stopped Working

Posted by soccerox817 
Z-Axis Stopped Working
March 21, 2016 05:28PM
I build a prusa i3 rework for a senior project (which is due in a couple weeks) and for some reason the stepper motors have completely stopped working. I do not know why, but here is what I have done to check: I put two other motors into the plug on the RAMPS board and they didn't turn. I know for a fact that both those motors worked because I tested them just a few minutes ago. I also tried using a different stepper driver, but that didn't seem to help. What could it be? It is possible that the RAMPS itself it no longer working? I don't know much about electronics, so I do not know if that is even something that can happen. Similarly, would a loose jumper under the stepper drive cause any problems? Thanks for any help that it to be offered. -Jacob
Re: Z-Axis Stopped Working
March 22, 2016 03:39AM
a loose jumper might randomly change the micro stepping,,, but it would just randomly move to far or rattle nosily

The stepper circuit is quite simple

Where step, direction and enable are all directly connected the the mega
MS1, MS2 and MS3 are the micro stepping jumper pins, they get connected to +5v or are disconnected (jumper off)

I would firstly check the soldering around the Z driver socket and the stepper plugs on the ramps.
And check the ramps mega pin connectors (in particular d46, d48 and a8)
Then check you have 12v on the vmot pin and 5v on the VDD pin and that the grounds are connected to power supply ground.

If that’s all fine, you could have a damaged mega... there isn’t much on the ramps other than bad solder that could stop this from working.
Also re upload your firmware, just in case.... (sometimes the firmware just gets broken and needs refreshed )

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 03:49AM by Dust.
March 22, 2016 03:38PM
I don't have any way to check the voltage, but I did switch out the RAMPS shield with a spare I had lying around and that didn't fix it, so I probably did mess up the mega. Shame, I hope I have time to replace it.
March 22, 2016 03:46PM
So, I tried replacing the stepper motor driver, and that seemed to fix the problem! I guess I happened to get a broken one in the new pack I bought. Surprise surprise.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login