Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MK2B Heated Bed Issues

Posted by soccerox817 
MK2B Heated Bed Issues
April 04, 2016 09:14PM
I have been trying to print HIPS, but it won't stick to my heated bed because it cannot maintain temperatures above 85-95 degrees. It'll eventually get up to the desired temperature, but the prints almost always end up popping off the bed about 15 minutes into printing because the temperature ends up falling below 100C. What can I do to get my heated bed to stay at the desired temperature?
Re: MK2B Heated Bed Issues
April 05, 2016 07:37PM
You can try insulating the underside of the heatbed.

I bought a roll of cork, used to line shelves/drawers, that has glue on one side.
Similar to this: [amzn.com]
April 05, 2016 10:36PM
I stuffed a piece of fiberglass insulation between the bed and y-carriage. You can buy a roll of this stuff at big-box stores for like $5.00. Works great. To get the same adhesion with PLA, I dropped my bed temperature from 55°C to 40°C.

April 05, 2016 10:42PM
Is there any sort of fire hazard with either technique? I'll give the cork a shot. Won't the insulation be really itchy?
April 05, 2016 10:48PM
Fiberglass doesn't burn, but it is itchy; wear some gloves. The aluminum foil might if you ground it into a fine dust and mixed it with ammonium nitrate. Cork is probably going to be OK at the temperatures we run at.
April 05, 2016 10:53PM
Okay thanks. Out of curiosity, how is your z endstop setup? If I put the fiberglass underneath I'll need to raise my bed and my endstop is already almost as high as it can go and I only have my bed on 3mm or so spacers. Will the fiberglass pack down that tight?
April 05, 2016 11:02PM
What is you bed like? I just had about a half-inch of dead space between the y-carriage board and the heat-bed. It didn't affect any dimensions at all (my z-endstop has a ton of adjustment).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2016 11:03PM by hoxsiew.
April 05, 2016 11:10PM
It won't let me upload a picture, but I have the stock endstop arrangement and I used the spacers meant to go under the arduino under my bed. I don't have any springs, I found them too finicky.
April 05, 2016 11:12PM
Could you post the link to the your x axis parts? I'd love to try them out. The endstop setup looks much better than what I have.
April 05, 2016 11:19PM
It's roughly a Geeetech I3. I re-printed some spares when I got it, but the printed parts have held up fine. Geeetech has their official printed parts available on thingiverse:

[www.thingiverse.com]
April 05, 2016 11:20PM
Awesome, thanks! I appreciate it all your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login