Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgradable Prusa i3?

Posted by 3D2112 
Upgradable Prusa i3?
April 17, 2016 04:23PM
Greeting to all.

I'm fairly new to the 3D printing world. We recently bought a MakerBot Z18 at work and became hooked. So much so that I'm interested in purchasing a reasonably inexpensive printer for home that is capable of printing in at least ABS, PLA and NingaFlex. I'm thinking of starting off with something that is easily upgradable that I can build upon as my knowledge grows. Upgrading may include better hot-ends, heated build plates, Bowden extruder, dual extruder, etc (anything else?).

I'm considering This One. Any feedback will be appreciated?

I've seen some based on the Arduino Mega controller. Is there an advantage to this?

Thanks
Re: Upgradable Prusa i3?
April 17, 2016 11:23PM
This is a Prusa I3 type machine thats good but search for similar in steel frame as acrylic is not great.Its a direct drive extruder thats ok. Try looking for Prusa I3 steel as far as Arduino its an addictive field like 3d printing but not necessarily required. Arduino needs Mega 2560 then interface board and driver boards and uploading program to it. I have an acrylic that is slowly being converted or replaced with steel or aluminum.
April 18, 2016 11:42AM
My advice would be build it right the first time. Don't use an acrylic frame, use a mental frame if you can afford it. Buy a quality hot-end and heated bed.
I've used genuine J-heads with no jams or issues ever, and more recently Hexagon's.

My latest builds use:
Aluminum heat bed [www.marginallyclever.com]
Hexagon hot-end [www.marginallyclever.com]

Use a newer design like the Prusa i3, not something with the motors on the top like the Prusa i2 design.
The "rework" design is great with a couple of changes
[www.thingiverse.com]
Better Z- axis adjuster:
[www.thingiverse.com]
X-axis endstop:
[www.thingiverse.com]

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
Anonymous User
April 20, 2016 09:30AM
3D2112
Greeting to all.

I'm fairly new to the 3D printing world. We recently bought a MakerBot Z18 at work and became hooked. So much so that I'm interested in purchasing a reasonably inexpensive printer for home that is capable of printing in at least ABS, PLA and NingaFlex. I'm thinking of starting off with something that is easily upgradable that I can build upon as my knowledge grows. Upgrading may include better hot-ends, heated build plates, Bowden extruder, dual extruder, etc (anything else?).

I'm considering This One. Any feedback will be appreciated?

I've seen some based on the Arduino Mega controller. Is there an advantage to this?

Thanks

An other piece of plastic crap !
Only the Tr8 screws are fine.
Look for an all metal one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2016 09:34AM by MKSA.
April 20, 2016 11:53AM
SteveRoy
Don't use an acrylic frame, use a mental frame if you can afford it.

A "mental frame" - now there's a thing! smiling smiley

Sorry!

(And I agree with your comment "build it right the first time" - I bought a medium-cheap kit and, over time, I've replaced or upgraded just about every plastic part that came in the kit.)
April 21, 2016 07:55AM
Is it overkill buying the original Prusa i3 from Prusa himself for $600?
I like the miniRambo control board and the fact he has the cooling fan mounted behind the x rods.

It seems his after purchase support is very good as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2016 07:58AM by 3D2112.
April 21, 2016 10:40PM
David J
SteveRoy
Don't use an acrylic frame, use a mental frame if you can afford it.

A "mental frame" - now there's a thing! smiling smiley

Some days are like that!
And I'm pretty sure there are some on the forum who think I am too

:-)

Cheers
Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login