Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis - gaps between layers

Posted by ss002d6252 
Z axis - gaps between layers
April 27, 2016 09:57AM
I have a problem with my Z axis (prusa with RAMPS 1.4, Marlin).

When I print the first layer seems to be Ok - after that however the Z axis seems to increase in steps that are too large to correctly lay down the next layer so it ends up looking like I've printed a shredded wheat rather than a cube (I've also tried other files and ended up the same).

I've moved the z-axis in Pronterface and measured it and it's been pretty much spot on when I've measured the distance travelled.

Any ideas appreciated.
Re: Z axis - gaps between layers
April 27, 2016 03:35PM
What layer hight and what nozzle size are you using ?
Have you calibrated the extruder?
April 27, 2016 11:51PM
I would check that all 3 jumpers are under the driver and also check the Z step value in Marlin.
April 28, 2016 04:51PM
Thanks guys

Hmm , it appears to be an extrusion issue.

No matter what esteps value I change to (via marlin - and checked with pronterface & repetier to make sure it is updating) the extruder pushes though around 180mm for every 100mm it's asked to. It's off - I've checked the board and everything seems ok on that.

I also seem to be getting the occasional knocking noise from the extruder.

Craig
April 28, 2016 11:57PM
ss002d6252
Thanks guys

No matter what esteps value I change to (via marlin - and checked with pronterface & repetier to make sure it is updating) the extruder pushes though around 180mm for every 100mm it's asked to. It's off - I've checked the board and everything seems ok on that.

Craig

If you have eeprom enabled, be sure and clear it out. I spent several hours trying to tune my machine only to find that a value I'd previously stored in eeprom was overwriting my attempts to change params in the firmware. I ended up disabling the eeprom in marlin since it is easier to just flash new firmware values than to tune via eeprom.
April 29, 2016 12:14PM
hoxsiew
ss002d6252
Thanks guys

Craig

If you have eeprom enabled, be sure and clear it out. I spent several hours trying to tune my machine only to find that a value I'd previously stored in eeprom was overwriting my attempts to change params in the firmware. I ended up disabling the eeprom in marlin since it is easier to just flash new firmware values than to tune via eeprom.

Thanks - I've tried flashing the new firmware each time to make sure when I've played around with the settings.

What I've noticed is that it's moving about 2mm on the z axis for each layer whilst printing (I measured it with a gauge) yet when I manually moved the rods a set distance through the software it was dialled in almost perfectly when I measured it.

If I can get the z-axis problem sorted I should be able to sort the rest
May 01, 2016 09:54AM
If i understand it right, when manual moving in proterface or repetier the distance off travel is correct? In that case your esteps are set ok.
Have you set the layerheight in slicer at 2mm or 0.2mm?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login