Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What decides the layer resolution a printer can do?

Posted by zhankezk 
What decides the layer resolution a printer can do?
May 09, 2016 04:06AM
I thought I understand, but have a consistent feeling that I am wrong again.

Most 3D printers use 50 micron or 100 micron for layer resolution in their specs. When it comes to Prusa i3, I was looking at Sunhockey's and it says 100 microns.

But then I googled it and someone saying that it can do 50 microns as well because the z-axis motor supports much more precision than that. But is that the only thing? Doesn't the extruder affects it as well, like how much filament to output every time?

I am confused. Can someone explain please. Thanks in advance!

I got M3D from Kickstarter project and it just doesn't give consistent results, very high failure at 100 micron and above (50) settings. So I want to get something better. I also want to ask, will prusa i3 be better? Or I will have similar experience?
Re: What decides the layer resolution a printer can do?
May 09, 2016 07:09AM
The physical layer height is limited by the Z axis resolution, most are ridiculously high (eg a m5 based I3 is 4000 steps/mm, ie 1/4000 mm per step. 0.25 micron increments)

But yes you also have to look at the resolution of your extruder, if its not high enough you cant put out the correct small amount of filament.

Another factor is extruder strength, with gaps that small you need a lot of torque to push the plastic out the small gap between the hotend and the bed/object.

Then there is rigidity of the machine... If the head moves in the Z direction... with such small layers, you have to have it move less than the resolution your aiming for.

The other reason people don’t do this is it simply takes forever!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2016 06:58PM by Dust.
May 09, 2016 08:38PM
So does the 0.4 mm extruder support this level of accuracy? Do you have a Prusa i3, what's your experience with 50 micron printing with it? My M3D mostly fail at that level, normally 150 micron gives me best successful rate.
May 09, 2016 11:28PM
I did this piece at 50 microns just to see what was possible. My wife would like to try a stab at jewelry with my printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2016 11:30PM by hoxsiew.
May 10, 2016 02:53AM
That's very good quality! Would you say this is average performance daily?
May 10, 2016 08:03AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "average performance daily". I usually run at 0.1 mm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login