Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which variant do i purchase?

Posted by samuel235 
Which variant do i purchase?
May 22, 2016 11:57AM
Hi guys, i'm in the market for my first 3D Printer and would like to go down the RepRap route rather than a pre-built one. I very much like the look of the Prusa setups and have been doing a fair bit of research however i can't come to a solid decision on which one and where to purchase from...

At the moment (I'm not set on either of these though) i've been looking into getting either a 'P3STEEL' or a 'Electron 3D - Sixth Generation Prusa i3 - Auto Leveling & Height Detection' or even looked at sourcing parts myself to create a personal Prusa. However, like i mentioned, i'm not set on these and i welcome any discussion or advice on any other variant, including something that isn't a Prusa i3.

I would like something with the build size of the Prusa i3 so anything 200mm or more along 1 axis, with a sturdy enough frame to allow good quality printing and a heated bed.

One last thing, hotends.... I've heard that all metal ones are superior compared to those that use PTFE material but are not for beginners apparently, why would this be?
Re: Which variant do i purchase?
May 24, 2016 06:03PM
Hello!

I bought a Prusa i3 Steel from orballoprinting.com . I´m very impressive with the quality and stability of the frame. The frame are powder coated so will not rust like the galvanized versions. It´s very sturdy so you can print with high precision. The "Electron 3D - Sixth Generation Prusa i3 - Auto Leveling & Height Detection" has a fragile frame...
Re: Which variant do i purchase?
May 28, 2016 08:58PM
The MK8 is called an all metal extruder but its barrel still has PTFE liner as do most extruders even some E3D especially the 1.75 mm version. PTFE is not really a problem with PLA ABS plastics with lower melt temperatures below 230 C Things like Nylon require higher temperatures that melt the PTFE . To get an extruder for 500 C requires different thermistors and 24 volt power supply costs a couple hundred bucks for the extruder/hot end not found in cheaper printers. A solid metal frame is more important than auto leveling and check out the electronics being used. If building your own use linear slides cheap ones are available from IGUS web site steppers included. Precision movement is the key to success things like backlash and wobble twist sway ruin prints.

rwt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login