Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament stuck

Posted by Blisk 
Filament stuck
June 07, 2016 08:08AM
I have alot of times problems with filament stuck don't know why that happends, I have cleanned nozzle checked all and still don't know why filament is stuck.
it is ABS and temp 230 oC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2016 08:08AM by Blisk.
Re: Filament stuck
June 07, 2016 07:15PM
Where is the fan on the heat break? (above the heater block)

Without that the filament will get warm and malleable to close to the gears and you get what your experiencing
June 08, 2016 08:56AM
Exactly! I see no fan to cool the block above the hot end. ALSO it does not appear, unless it's an optical illusion, that the path of the filament through the drive gear is in line with the tube that leads to the hotend.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
June 09, 2016 12:34PM
The picture is taken from where the fan should be so we can't assume he doesn't have one.
Its possible the feed tube is to low in the block so the slightest misalignment causes the filament to kink and provides space for it to coil.
Assuming the alignment is good, as TJ... points out, then the tube should extend above the block and be within a few mm of the drive gear/idler - obviously not touching.
From memory you have more thread showing than I do.

You could still have an issue with the hot end blocking but usually the complaints are of grinding or the motor clicking.

Interesting that your block seems to have at least 3 fixings to the motor. My kit only has 2 which isn't robust and means that when I remove the fan the motor comes off. So good for you.
Tip - I removed the hot end fan and cut away the metal bracket underneath, then replaced the fan. This means I can see the drive gear etc by just removing the hot end fan on the front. You can still print like this so its useful for debugging.
June 09, 2016 09:30PM
Yes, I'm not familiar with that extruder set-up but after thinking about it, you must be right, McCarman. He removed the fan (hopefully) to show us the jam. smiling smiley
I wasn't sure if that was a jam nut under the heat break or part of the tube. On my FT 2020 i3 I have my tube like you described right up close to the output of the extruder. If it's a jam nut, then he should run that tube up much higher.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login