Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

folger tech prusa and filament temperatures

Posted by hobbes 
folger tech prusa and filament temperatures
June 07, 2016 04:43PM
hi guys, i've had my folger tech prusa for almost a year now and i've noticed that, to get a proper print quality, i had to keep my nozzle temperature relatively low compared to the general consensus on print temperatures. To get a decent looking PLA print, i have to print as low as 173C. Even at 180C i get unpleasant saggy vertical walls. For ABS, i have printed down to 200C. The same ABS on my makerbot 2x prints comfortably at 230 with similar surface quality.

The PLA in question is makerbot orange PLA, while the ABS i use both makerbot and some of the stuff folger tech sells. The results is the same for both the makerbot and cheaper folger tech stuff.

TLDR are sub 175C (for PLA) and 200C (for ABS) print temperatures a normal thing, or is there something wrong with my folger tech?

I've googled for information on this and can't find any except for a few posts mentioning they print pla at 177C. Nothing on the ABS at 200C.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2016 04:43PM by hobbes.
Re: folger tech prusa and filament temperatures
June 07, 2016 05:51PM
hobbes
hi guys, i've had my folger tech prusa for almost a year now and i've noticed that, to get a proper print quality, i had to keep my nozzle temperature relatively low compared to the general consensus on print temperatures. To get a decent looking PLA print, i have to print as low as 173C. Even at 180C i get unpleasant saggy vertical walls. For ABS, i have printed down to 200C. The same ABS on my makerbot 2x prints comfortably at 230 with similar surface quality.

The PLA in question is makerbot orange PLA, while the ABS i use both makerbot and some of the stuff folger tech sells. The results is the same for both the makerbot and cheaper folger tech stuff.

TLDR are sub 175C (for PLA) and 200C (for ABS) print temperatures a normal thing, or is there something wrong with my folger tech?

I've googled for information on this and can't find any except for a few posts mentioning they print pla at 177C. Nothing on the ABS at 200C.

Your hotend thermistor may be faulty. On my printer, the thermistor on my bed is faulty so it reads 20 degrees C lower than what it actually is. Also, make sure you are using "#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1" and "TEMP_SENSOR_BED 1" as your thermistor defines.

Folger Tech I3 2020 Wikia page: [folgertech.wikia.com]

Custom Folger Tech I3 2020 custom search
June 09, 2016 01:01AM
Thank you Mach. I'll check it out this weekend. (i have to review how to get the marlin thing to make changes on my printer. I haven't done it since i originally built it).

I will also read up on the wiki in your signature. Thanks smiling smiley
Are you just a Folger Tech aficionado or do you work for the company?

If i had to replace the thermistor, would i just go with a stock replacement from Folger tech or do you recommend a different one?

on a slightly related note, how high of a temp can the extruder go? I got some taulman nylon samples i'd like test out.
June 09, 2016 05:38PM
hobbes
Thank you Mach. I'll check it out this weekend. (i have to review how to get the marlin thing to make changes on my printer. I haven't done it since i originally built it).

I will also read up on the wiki in your signature. Thanks smiling smiley
Are you just a Folger Tech aficionado or do you work for the company?

If i had to replace the thermistor, would i just go with a stock replacement from Folger tech or do you recommend a different one?

on a slightly related note, how high of a temp can the extruder go? I got some taulman nylon samples i'd like test out.

I am just a owner of the printer that tries to help out others smiling smiley As for the thermistor, as long as it is a 100k thermistor, it should work fine. You cannot really print things that print at above 250C due to the PTFE tube in the hotend. Temps over that will cause it to start releasing toxic fumes, and then start deteriorating. For printing at higher temp, you will need to upgrade to a full metal hotend.

Folger Tech I3 2020 Wikia page: [folgertech.wikia.com]

Custom Folger Tech I3 2020 custom search
June 10, 2016 07:22PM
You're doing a great job helping others.

Thanks!
June 12, 2016 12:45PM
so as i'm recently cleaning my hotend, i see that hidden ptfe tube inside, which i hadn't noticed before. Why is that there? Can the printer function without it? Can i replace it with a metal tube of the same OD and ID? Is there a disadvantage to upgrading to an all metal hotend with this printer?

Oh, and my thermistor wire snapped and the little resistor thingy unexpectedly flung off somewhere on the ground, lost forever, so i have to replace the thermistor for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 12:46PM by hobbes.
June 12, 2016 09:57PM
hobbes
so as i'm recently cleaning my hotend, i see that hidden ptfe tube inside, which i hadn't noticed before. Why is that there? Can the printer function without it? Can i replace it with a metal tube of the same OD and ID? Is there a disadvantage to upgrading to an all metal hotend with this printer?

Oh, and my thermistor wire snapped and the little resistor thingy unexpectedly flung off somewhere on the ground, lost forever, so i have to replace the thermistor for sure.

I think with the stock hotend if you took out the liner the filament would melt in the cool block area. Now you have an excuse to upgrade the hotend.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login